howto get wifi on your xbox for $14 or less

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gamefreak1296

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Gamefreak1296
Member since 2005 • 1670 Posts

Here is an article they had that gets you wifi on your xbox 360 for about $14

Link

for the record I use an ethernet cable just found this interesting...

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

thats sounds better than dishing out 100 bucks

but not better than just plugin in a ethernet cable lol

i may try this tho

Gamefreak1296

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Gamefreak1296
Member since 2005 • 1670 Posts
wow i thought more people would be all over this
lolodadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lolodadon
Member since 2007 • 44 Posts
instead of buying that contraption...(crappy linksys router) just hardwire it to your laptop and turn on internet sharing. If your already wireless on a lappy then your xbox will pick up the signal. honestly tho why would you want to play wirelessly especially because its not intergrated. there is tons of lag...
bassguitar19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bassguitar19
Member since 2008 • 68 Posts

10 bucks says that doing that would lag like crap.

my router is on the 2nd floor and the xbox is in the basement. i just got a 60tf ethernet cable and hid it along the wall and in the basements ceiling, becuase my ceiling in the basement is a bunch of tiles you can take off

lolodadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lolodadon
with wifi there is more packet loss due to external factors as well as the obvious...got lost on the way here thing. with a wired connection there is minimal packet loss and practically no interference
lil_d_mack_314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 lil_d_mack_314
Member since 2006 • 13969 Posts
instead of buying that contraption...(crappy linksys router) just hardwire it to your laptop and turn on internet sharing. If your already wireless on a lappy then your xbox will pick up the signal. honestly tho why would you want to play wirelessly especially because its not intergrated. there is tons of lag...lolodadon
this is true. i tried doing that same idea with my laptop and received a fair amount of more lag than being normally hard wired. it was still "good" but def. not better than being hard wired. (i was also in a basement, so that added to the quality of the connection). its a killer when your about to line up a head shot then all of a sudden your screen starts jerking back and forth :/.
lolodadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lolodadon
agreed. for me it was lagging out of halo 3 matches because my laptop sucks. i mean it was a coll discovery till i found out everyone had already done it. i was a little less thrilled at that point.
i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts
instead of buying that contraption...(crappy linksys router) just hardwire it to your laptop and turn on internet sharing. If your already wireless on a lappy then your xbox will pick up the signal. honestly tho why would you want to play wirelessly especially because its not intergrated. there is tons of lag...lolodadon
well if you dont have a laptop than yourll have to dish out 400$ which defeats the purpose of this money saving option
Avatar image for deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
deactivated-5c37d3adcd094

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
Member since 2006 • 8362 Posts
I've got a spare router, but it's not compatible. Oh well.
lolodadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lolodadon
[QUOTE="lolodadon"]instead of buying that contraption...(crappy linksys router) just hardwire it to your laptop and turn on internet sharing. If your already wireless on a lappy then your xbox will pick up the signal. honestly tho why would you want to play wirelessly especially because its not intergrated. there is tons of lag...i-rock-socks
well if you dont have a laptop than yourll have to dish out 400$ which defeats the purpose of this money saving option

i shouldve said if.....but its common sense to know if you dont already have a laptop then it would be alot less expensive to just buy the offical wireless adapter....god people are so nit picky nowadays:roll:
Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts

[QUOTE="i-rock-socks"][QUOTE="lolodadon"]instead of buying that contraption...(crappy linksys router) just hardwire it to your laptop and turn on internet sharing. If your already wireless on a lappy then your xbox will pick up the signal. honestly tho why would you want to play wirelessly especially because its not intergrated. there is tons of lag...lolodadon

i shouldve said if.....but its common sense to know if you dont already have a laptop then it would be alot less expensive to just buy the offical wireless adapter....god people are so nit picky nowadays:roll:

Well there is the added annoyance of needing your laptop on whenever you want to play Live, which is also a needless waste of energy. The linked method is much more practical.

ratavaquera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 ratavaquera
Member since 2005 • 732 Posts
i bought 20 meters of Ethernet Cable, and i feel good with that
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#15 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
Costs $50 for a decent wireless router anyway. Just spend $87 at newegg or amazon and get the first party version. I'm happy with my 50ft ethernet cable.... although it's my only wired console :)
lolodadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lolodadon

[QUOTE="lolodadon"][QUOTE="i-rock-socks"] well if you dont have a laptop than yourll have to dish out 400$ which defeats the purpose of this money saving optionLarge_Soda

Well there is the added annoyance of needing your laptop on whenever you want to play Live, which is also a needless waste of energy. The linked method is much more practical.

all i said was if you have a laptop its a little bit easier just to turn on internet sharing then to have to configure and plug into a router. also if you already have a laptop then you also save the $14.

Vance_009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 Vance_009
Member since 2004 • 2005 Posts
maybe a good idea if modem is on the other side of the house.
ras2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ras2009
Member since 2006 • 2772 Posts

[QUOTE="lolodadon"][QUOTE="i-rock-socks"] well if you dont have a laptop than yourll have to dish out 400$ which defeats the purpose of this money saving optionLarge_Soda

You can do it with a pc to.
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#19 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
Except that whatever computer you do this with, won't be able to stream any media to the xbox. And that can get very annoying. And for what it's worth, the MS wireless adapter for the 360 can then be configured directly from the 360's config, which comes in handy.
JaKCash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JaKCash
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Hmm. That seems interesting. I will have to look into it.
sfenty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#21 sfenty
Member since 2003 • 1371 Posts

Thanks for the heads up. The main reason I don't have a 360 yet is how expensive the wifi dongle is. I'm a single player kind of guy, but want my system connected for updates, and to download XBLA games, demoes, expansion content etc. Lag isn't a big issue for such things, so this gives me a cheaper solution and a reason to take the plunge.

zainul_786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 zainul_786
Member since 2009 • 33 Posts
get a wireless adapter
Mikka_kippa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Mikka_kippa
Member since 2005 • 971 Posts
I'm moving into a dorm room next year, that's why it's a good idea.