How to avoid RRoD?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

diamond2d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 diamond2d
Member since 2007 • 750 Posts

Ive just got a 360 and they are great but.....i haven't played it as much as i want to because im affraid of the red rings showing up. What causes this and how can i avoid this happening?

carsales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 carsales
Member since 2006 • 1143 Posts
I think the rrod problem has been solved with the new 360s plus even if you did happen to get it, you do have a warranty for it. I accidently left my 360 on for 3 days straight, no problem,
xNickNackx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 xNickNackx
Member since 2008 • 65 Posts

What causes it is over heatinG and poor design. The motherboard flexes when it gets hot because the x clamps don't do their job properly, and the solder around the chips cracks. It has been improved in newer models with another fan added tokeep things cool, and probably other things, so you may never get this problem. Just keep your 360 in a space where it has room to blow out hot air, and keep it and the power supply off of the carpet.

There really isn't much you can do but hope. I'm on my second 360 and touch wood it's ok so far.

chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#4 chex81
Member since 2004 • 3661 Posts

meh, i've had my 360 since launch....keep it on for hours upon hours and it works fine...other than trying to avoid overheating (give breathing space) there nothing you can do.

just play the thing and enjoy it

shaane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 shaane
Member since 2005 • 191 Posts
keep it in a ventilated place nothing else
ParadiseAwaits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ParadiseAwaits
Member since 2007 • 1410 Posts

How to avoid RROD?

Easy, don't buy a 360.

murat8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 murat8
Member since 2006 • 10362 Posts
keep it and the power supply off of the carpet.xNickNackx
damn dose that thing actually matter cuz my power supply thing was on the carpet and its close to a vent that blows warm air can that thing really cause the RRoD
therapyhiccup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 therapyhiccup
Member since 2005 • 1800 Posts

How to avoid RROD?

Easy, don't buy a 360.

ParadiseAwaits

ha..yeh that is the only way. even the new elites get the rrod. i took very good care of my 360. it lasted from december 06 until december 07.
everything has space to breathe....and is on hard surfaces..vertical...never moves..dont play six hours in a row.... ah well. i am just bitter that my 360 is away.

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts
you cannot avoid it. It will happen or it wont. some of us are just lucky and some arent. "Supposedly" the new units are less likely to fail. But the only way to be sure you wont get it, is to leave your 360 OFF and never use it. LOL!
toyota23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 toyota23
Member since 2008 • 69 Posts

the older xbox 360 version had a fault rate at 33 %! the new one is only about 10 %!:D

So lets hope the even newer which comes can get it down to 5 % maybe!

Avatar image for GhostOfSparta21
GhostOfSparta21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GhostOfSparta21
Member since 2008 • 296 Posts
i have one with an upgraded fan, it is louder, but it works well.
MuffinPunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 MuffinPunk
Member since 2007 • 4845 Posts
I just tell my 360 I love it and that I will care for it.
xsfseal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 xsfseal
Member since 2004 • 510 Posts
Put a small fan outside of it to increase airflow and hopefully you'll never overheat.
VitamiX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 VitamiX
Member since 2005 • 487 Posts

I'm not sure but I think that putting it vertical helps. better ventilation (supposedly) and less heat gets trapped under.

Vengent25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Vengent25
Member since 2007 • 470 Posts
Am I the only one that has never gotten the red ring of death?? Alot of people complain but I still dont have it. I play it like 2 hours a day sometimes even more. What is the conditions you guys put it through. I clean my xbox every month and leave standing because it wont over heat. and its in a nice open space.
goldenboi1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 goldenboi1
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
If your tryin to say that 360's are the only ones that gets RROD and ps3's dont ur wrong because i own both and my ps3 had cuaght the RROD which is called in ps3 form YLOD(YellowLightsOfDeath) which i had also fixed.
Twizlerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Twizlerr
Member since 2010 • 109 Posts

If you just recently bought a 360, you should not have any worries about overheating. My friend accidently left his Xbox 360 on before he left for a 2 month vacation to Europe. Me and my friends laughed every day to see him away for 2 months straight. Then, when he got home, he played some RDR.

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#18 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

The following are the biggest preventative measures I've heard of:

1. Don't block the ventilation holes on the system. Allow a few inches of space all around the system.

2. Don't move the system while a game disc is in the system.

If you got a new 360 Elite or 360 Slim, though, you don't have much to worry about. It has a new motherboard and it's much better than the old one.

Big-Shamrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Big-Shamrock
Member since 2010 • 688 Posts
Don't overheat it.
Installing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Installing
Member since 2010 • 678 Posts

What is the conditions you guys put it through. I clean my xbox every month and leave standing because it wont over heat. and its in a nice open space.Vengent25

Please don't assume just because your 360 is OK that the majority of people experiencing problems with theirs is down to some fault of their own.

The fact is you have been lucky... so far.

Vance009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Vance009
Member since 2010 • 125 Posts

after having 4 rrod and this one on its last leg I would say don't turn it on. if you have the newer xbox 360 you should be fine.

Lance2500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 Lance2500
Member since 2009 • 680 Posts

I think the rrod problem has been solved with the new 360s plus even if you did happen to get it, you do have a warranty for it. I accidently left my 360 on for 3 days straight, no problem,carsales

Three days? Nice, I was at a party and we did some COD on the 360 for about 5 hours, we didn't sleep the whole night and I thought that was a long time for the 360 lol.

DahLong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 11

#23 DahLong
Member since 2005 • 262 Posts

How to avoid RROD?

Easy, don't buy a 360.

ParadiseAwaits
How to avoid RROD? keep it in the basement just like i do to mine. >:)
emperorzhang66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 emperorzhang66
Member since 2009 • 1483 Posts
Make sure the fans have space 15 - 20cm gap around it and keep it upright. :)
Spongebuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Spongebuck
Member since 2010 • 79 Posts

the older xbox 360 version had a fault rate at 33 %! the new one is only about 10 %!:D

So lets hope the even newer which comes can get it down to 5 % maybe!

toyota23

You know what would be better than that? 0%

I think it's luck, I've had mine for almost 3 years and there have been times where I've gone away for the weekend and left it on and still no problem.

hoff2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hoff2007
Member since 2003 • 1189 Posts

buy the slim :D

Hakud0ushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Hakud0ushi
Member since 2005 • 7613 Posts
I think the rrod problem has been solved with the new 360s plus even if you did happen to get it, you do have a warranty for it. I accidently left my 360 on for 3 days straight, no problem,carsales
Exactly. If you got a new 360 with Jasper chip you are fine. Never heard of a jasper going rrod.
gianmohit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 gianmohit
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

If you are planning to stick to a single game, more like finishing the campain, its better to install the game on your hard drive. This avoids disk reading which leads to less heat production and the possibility of RROD minimizes.

Stevo7991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Stevo7991
Member since 2010 • 1319 Posts

If you are planning to stick to a single game, more like finishing the campain, its better to install the game on your hard drive. This avoids disk reading which leads to less heat production and the possibility of RROD minimizes.

gianmohit

You just had to bump an old thread....

Santesyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30 Santesyu
Member since 2008 • 4451 Posts

treat it nice really, whatever happens will no doubt happen. I had a 360 but it rrod on me, I guess I was 1 and done. After how nice I treated it no way I could replace another. So I went to another quote, unquote adoption agency for consoles.

LittleToejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LittleToejam
Member since 2008 • 510 Posts

Does it matter if I keep my xbox horizontal or vertical? there are ventilation holes on each side but the gray bottom of the xbox feels cold so should I keep it vertical? I also install my games so it shouldn't damage my cd any way right?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c23908d36a7f
deactivated-5c23908d36a7f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5c23908d36a7f
Member since 2009 • 859 Posts

LOL at people saying keep it off the carpet.

Well for a start you SHOULDN'T have to do that in the first place. You should be able to place the console wherever you damn please as long as the ventilation is fine. My Console is on my carpet and works fine. So if you have it on the carpet or a shelf it doesn't matter and shouldn't.

And second; if you haven't got the new 250gb HDD 360 then it'll eventually RROD. Mine has just started having problems reading discs...."coincidently" on Christmas day. Which, last time i had this problem it turned into the RROD several months later.

Enid_Green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Enid_Green
Member since 2010 • 1261 Posts

Well for a start you SHOULDN'T have to do that in the first place. You should be able to place the console wherever you damn please as long as the ventilation is fine. My Console is on my carpet and works fine. So if you have it on the carpet or a shelf it doesn't matter and shouldn't.

And second; if you haven't got the new 250gb HDD 360 then it'll eventually RROD. Mine has just started having problems reading discs...."coincidently" on Christmas day. Which, last time i had this problem it turned into the RROD several months later.

NevecLP

Carpet absorbs heat, so instead of having the heat dissipate into the air, the xbox sits in its own heat. If the carpet is thick enough, it can be problematic. You wouldn't throw a blanket on top of it, so don't put it on carpet. And obviously your console doesn't "work fine" if you say it's breaking down on the next line and you've already had RROD

TC, just play it and keep it in an open space on a hard surface. Don't be afraid to play it because of RROD. Frankly, you'll want it to break sooner than later so it's still under warranty, but it really just comes down to luck.

iAtrocious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 iAtrocious
Member since 2010 • 1567 Posts

NevecLP

Don't be an ignorant prick though given your forum picture, I'd take you're thirteen at most. You don't keep anything that needs ventilation on a soft surface -- be that a computer, a power source or the 360. Always leave a few inches between your console/power source and any surface (other than the one he's on).

Your new 360 won't eventually RROD. NevecLP just said he keeps his 360 is having some issues reading discs, but he apparently takes no care of where his console is (I wouldn't be surprised if he had it next to the fireplace). Just take care of it as you would to any other valuable piece of hardware and it should function normally.

Also, I realize this topic was resurrected from two years ago.

Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jagged3dge
Member since 2008 • 3895 Posts

People still get RRoD?

KBFTodd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 KBFTodd
Member since 2006 • 342 Posts

If you just recently bought a 360, you should not have any worries about overheating. My friend accidently left his Xbox 360 on before he left for a 2 month vacation to Europe. Me and my friends laughed every day to see him away for 2 months straight. Then, when he got home, he played some RDR.

Twizlerr
2 months...really?? Doesn't the unit shut off after like 8 hrs. or so of nonuse ?? Or does that have to be set up in the settings ??
spaceninja818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 spaceninja818
Member since 2009 • 425 Posts

My 360 is 4 years old. I got the RRoD only once about 2 years ago. I keep it in a well ventilated place and usually turn it off and let it cool down every 2 hours. So far it works well, but makes weird loud noise when I turn it on.

Rov123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Rov123
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

How to avoid RROD?

Easy, don't buy a 360.

ParadiseAwaits
Or put it on the side with side vent up.vertically the bottom vent is blocked.Upside down the hard drive overheats and is crushed and newer models have a shutdown safeguard so they will shut it down before it over heat.
Rov123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Rov123
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="NevecLP"]

iAtrocious

Don't be an ignorant prick though given your forum picture, I'd take you're thirteen at most. You don't keep anything that needs ventilation on a soft surface -- be that a computer, a power source or the 360. Always leave a few inches between your console/power source and any surface (other than the one he's on).

Your new 360 won't eventually RROD. NevecLP just said he keeps his 360 is having some issues reading discs, but he apparently takes no care of where his console is (I wouldn't be surprised if he had it next to the fireplace). Just take care of it as you would to any other valuable piece of hardware and it should function normally.

Also, I realize this topic was resurrected from two years ago.

I agree plus newer models like I said before have a overheat safeguard and vertically on carpet blocks the bottom vent.also because of this your fan will fail at one point
pspitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#40 pspitus
Member since 2006 • 2397 Posts

The best advice I can give to help avoid the RRoD is the always put your gaming system in a place where it can have room to breathe, and where it can have proper ventilation- just make sure you don't put the 360 in a confined place.

And if you have the new 360, the chance of it red ringing is really low so you shouldn't have to worry :)

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts
Why does the power supply have a fan and a heatsink ? Couldnt the use the same one a laptop uses (with a few modifications)