How much tax do you have to pay off US marketplace?

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

I'm outside the US, and I want to buy a $15 gift card, I would like to buy Thief which is currently $13.20 - I wonder if it would suffice?

I know tax deduction is based on location but my location is outside the US, so I'm not sure what the default rate would be. I know people from Europe and whatnot buy things using this exact method and it works. I just have to know if it's going to be enough.

BusterFriendly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 BusterFriendly
Member since 2014 • 242 Posts

I would be kind of surprised if they collected taxes for a foreign government. Inside the US, they collect based on your state and then send the tax money to that state. I don't get charged any tax for my downloaded games.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

You'll have 1.80 dollars left.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries: State taxes vary. It's impossible to give you an answer without knowing what state taxes you are paying. Since you are not a citizen, I'm not sure how this will play out, but I'm curious to see the results.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@SolidTy said:

@Salt_The_Fries: State taxes vary. It's impossible to give you an answer without knowing what state taxes you are paying. Since you are not a citizen, I'm not sure how this will play out, but I'm curious to see the results.

Apparently the flat rate is 6% (although Microsoft doesn't specify that, I had to look up the US law myself), anyway, I managed to buy the game without any hiccups. $15 gift card sufficed.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@SolidTy said:

Apparently the flat rate is 6% (although Microsoft doesn't specify that, I had to look up the US law myself), anyway, I managed to buy the game without any hiccups. $15 gift card sufficed.

Fascinating about the 6%. Glad it worked out.

BusterFriendly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BusterFriendly
Member since 2014 • 242 Posts

Flat rate of 6% remitted to what tax authority? It's illegal for a company to collect something they say is a tax and keep it. Maybe some kind of federal export tariff.

ScorpionEQG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ScorpionEQG7
Member since 2019 • 1 Posts

How much would 14.99 be on Xbox in Canadian Dollars?