How long did your first Xbox 360 last? *POLL*

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CocopuffsGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CocopuffsGM
Member since 2007 • 214 Posts

I bought my Xbox at the begining of this year, today I recieved the "3 red lights". While searching for more information on these lights, I found that no real numbers have been released by Microsoft on the percentage of fualty Xbox 360 consoles reported. There have been some unscientific polls I seen (Averaging 30% xboxes with errors), but I didn't like the way they were set up. So I figure I would start my own unscientific poll, to get a general estimate on the life span of a 360.

This it to find out the general precentage of Xbox 360s that are fualty and the general life span of the console, on these forums. Of course, this is not official, and is just a rough rough attempt at getting an idea of how reliable the Xbox 360 really is.

NOTE:
By BROKE (in the poll), I mean that your Xbox was seriously flawed in the hardware in some way. Whether the 3 red lights, it couldn't read discs, it couldn't play movies/music, or any other symptom that would qualify your Xbox to be returned or replaced by Microsoft.

Thank you for your time,
-Puffs

filfili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 filfili
Member since 2003 • 1593 Posts
No complaints here. Had mine since launch and have never had a hitch.
A_Gamer_Online

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 A_Gamer_Online
Member since 2005 • 122 Posts
I had my since April 2nd and now Im waiting for the box to come in so I can ship it away. The problem was way too much overheating. It will sometimes overheat after 30 mins if not at another random time.
Alpha172

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 Alpha172
Member since 2007 • 1437 Posts
This is like the 3rd post i've seen about the XBOX360 Broken problem, I mean it should be on a locked threat or something.
CocopuffsGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CocopuffsGM
This is like the 3rd post i've seen about the XBOX360 Broken problem, I mean it should be on a locked threat or something.Alpha172

If you talking about how many "XBOX Broken" topics there are, I'm sorry to annoy you with another. But this is not a topic about my xbox, it is about how reliable the xbox is in general, I tried searching in case someone already made one of these topics/polls. And couldn't find anything, (although I may have missed something staring me right in the face, coundn't think of many words to search).

Otherwise I'm a little confused about what your saying.
jet2892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#6 jet2892
Member since 2004 • 2832 Posts
[QUOTE="Alpha172"]This is like the 3rd post i've seen about the XBOX360 Broken problem, I mean it should be on a locked threat or something.CocopuffsGM

If you talking about how many "XBOX Broken" topics there are, I'm sorry to annoy you with another. But this is not a topic about my xbox, it is about how reliable the xbox is in general, I tried searching in case someone already made one of these topics/polls. And couldn't find anything, (although I may have missed something staring me right in the face, coundn't think of many words to search).

There have been a million topics about that too
mandrew913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 mandrew913
Member since 2007 • 564 Posts
Mine broke 6 days out of the warrenty.
Avatar image for sleepisawesome2
sleepisawesome2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 sleepisawesome2
Member since 2005 • 1367 Posts
my first one broke on christmas day and my replacement died this monday
ct1257860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#9 ct1257860
Member since 2006 • 4441 Posts

I bought my Xbox at the begining of this year, today I recieved the "3 red lights". While searching on more information on these lights, I found that no real numbers have been released by Microsoft on the percentage of fualty Xbox 360 consoles reported. There have been some unscientific polls I seen (Averaging 30% xboxes with errors), but I didn't like the way they were set up. So I figure I would start my own unscientific poll, to get a general estimate on the life span of a 360.

This it to find out the general precentage of Xbox 360s that are fualty and the general life span of the console, on these forums. Of course, this is not official, and is just a rough rough attempt at getting an idea of how reliable the Xbox 360 really is.

NOTE:
By BROKE (in the poll), I mean that your Xbox was seriously flawed in the hardware in some way. Whether the 3 red lights, it couldn't read discs, it couln't play movies/music, or any other symptom that would qualify your Xbox to be returned or replaced by Microsoft.

Thank you for your time,
-Puffs

CocopuffsGM
had mine since april and is in good shape. Only one glitch so far actually 2 .
EssaregeeX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 EssaregeeX
Member since 2006 • 621 Posts

My 360 caught on fire... No bull (my first anyway)

My second just kept giving me Hardware faults...

DutchBear10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DutchBear10
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Had mine for under a year and it's still ticking, but I'm extremely nervous about it from all the horror 'red ring' stories I have been hearing.
sixgears2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#12 sixgears2
Member since 2006 • 1261 Posts
my launch 360 lasted for precisely 0 seconds........it was defective right out of the box. now i am on number 7, and it seems to be doing ok since i told MS to get lost with the stupid refurbs they kept sending me and bought one from EB. they are lucky i love the games or i would have given up a long time ago.
darkjedirpm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 darkjedirpm
Member since 2004 • 2453 Posts

Myfirst one lasted 6 months before I got the 3 red lights.

c0mplex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 c0mplex
Member since 2002 • 15382 Posts

39th one.... this problem is really serious.

im getting sick of having to spend $400 everytime my console breaks.

Severed_Hand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Severed_Hand
Member since 2007 • 3402 Posts
4 Days for me.. i mean, c'mon, it was brand new! i was pretty angry.
Crimson540

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Crimson540
Member since 2006 • 201 Posts
It lasted just under 6 months. 12/25/06 - 6/5/07
Motara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Motara
Member since 2004 • 97 Posts
I was really disappointed when I got the three red lights after throwing my 360 out my second story window after I lost on Rainbow Six Team Sharpshooter. I would suggest armor plating for the next gen consoles.
TarnishedSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TarnishedSoul
Member since 2002 • 12151 Posts
broke after exactly 1yr.
Silver_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Silver_Fire
Member since 2005 • 1168 Posts
I've had it since December 2005 and so far its been fine.
rulo_rezn0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 rulo_rezn0r
Member since 2006 • 1351 Posts

39th one.... this problem is really serious.

im getting sick of having to spend $400 everytime my console breaks.

c0mplex
LMAO
Trickshot771

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Trickshot771
Member since 2005 • 12686 Posts

First one lasted from March 16th 2006 to Feb 9th 2007.

How do I remember the exact dates? March 16th is my friend's birthday, Feb 9th is mine :|

zombiejonny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 zombiejonny
Member since 2003 • 8277 Posts
had my first one from the 2005 launch to about the end of September 2006. Currently on my 2nd 360 that i have had since the end of October 2006 with occasional problems.
wii60_lukatoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 wii60_lukatoll
Member since 2007 • 1076 Posts

[QUOTE="CocopuffsGM"][QUOTE="Alpha172"]This is like the 3rd post i've seen about the XBOX360 Broken problem, I mean it should be on a locked threat or something.jet2892

There have been a million topics about that too

man somthing about gamespot users, always get so mad too easily, relax its just a poll and if your complaining about how many topics there has been, just ignore it and don't click on it

Pwnager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Pwnager
Member since 2004 • 1947 Posts
First one broke one month after my warranty finished.
danlher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 danlher
Member since 2007 • 173 Posts
Mine broke 6 months after I bought it :(
TM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TM1
Member since 2004 • 7249 Posts
Voted broke in under a year, broke like a week before the one year mark.
choffy31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 choffy31
Member since 2007 • 913 Posts

I bought mine January 2nd, 2007 and it broke on May 11th, 2007. But it wasn't my fault:

I rented a game from Hollywood Video, and the little sticker on the disc came off inside of my Xbox :o :cry:!!!

NiteX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 NiteX
Member since 2003 • 1810 Posts
I bought my 360 from a friend at my college. Well actually it was his brother in laws but he had it about 5 months after launch and sold it to me for $250. I've had it since Feb 07 and I have not had really any problems besides a few lock ups on the Full Auto demo. I'm surprised how good its been working actually. I figured since I bought it from some guy I don't know it would have broken within the week. I just hope it keeps going strong.
Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#30 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts
after 5 months
BartyB198221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BartyB198221
Member since 2004 • 82 Posts

When i took my 360 to UPS the 1st thing the lady said was" oh xbox we see one or two a day" so it must be a huge problem.

Va1ha1la

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Va1ha1la
Ive had mine since launch i leave it running for a good 7 hours at a time never had a problem yet
Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

I honestly don't know a one person that has had a problem with their 360 in actuality (nor do i know anyone on my friends list that has had a problem and i've got around 80 friends on my Friends list). Only place i hear about it on the internet.

And MS did actually release an official number. They stated that approximately 5% of the 360's were having trouble. Question it all you want...i believe that statistic over polls that can either 1. be hacked or 2. have fanboys come in and mess up the poll by voting that it's "busted" when they don't even have a 360.

I'm not going to deny that 360's are busting...every console has it's busted consoles here and there. But there are a hell of alot more that are working then there are busted. If it's not 5% exactly, it's definitely close to that. Fanboys blow it way out of proportion though. I know, yours busted...so everyone's must be "busting". It simply isn't true though.

This is irrelevant though seeing as you send it back to MS for free and they fix it for free (or replace it with a working one if it's unrepairable)...all for free.

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#34 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
No serious problems since the end of December. Great piece of tech as far as I'm concerned. The only beef I have is the excessive noise and heat output.
calaroco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 calaroco
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Mine broke after 8 whole months of light play. Those 8 months were followed with 2 months of arguing with Microsoft through the BBB about getting it fixed. The funniest part was that in one of the Microsoft reps lastemails, he said something along the lines of "Get over it. We're not fixing it for free. The only way we'll fix it is if you pay for it." A couple of months later, I find out that Microsoft has extended the warranty and will fix it. I wish I still had that email from the rep so that I can write back with a nice little message.

To be fair though, my replacement has been working just fine. I've had it for about 6 months now and haven't had any issues...yet.

Avatar image for baseball07playr
baseball07playr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 baseball07playr
Member since 2004 • 258 Posts
I had mine since launch and it broke 2 weeks ago
Avatar image for PunkRockDude554
PunkRockDude554

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PunkRockDude554
I've never had any problems with mine and I've had it since it first launched.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 4321000
Member since 2004 • 1087 Posts
had first one from xmas last year till april last month then broke, on second one now, i got the eb replacement warrenty so i got second one free of charge
phsknights08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 phsknights08
Member since 2005 • 189 Posts
i got mine christmas week on it broke a couple of days ago with the 3 red lights, im goin to take it back n get another soon but im not sure when
crck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 crck
Member since 2006 • 2559 Posts

http://n4g.com/xbox360/News-48129.aspx

This repair shop in the UK won't even do repairs on them any more. They said 3 redlights are a natural characteristic of the 360 and its no longer viable for them to offer repairs. BTW mine broke at the 8 month mark.

CocopuffsGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 CocopuffsGM

I honestly don't know a one person that has had a problem with their 360 in actuality (nor do i know anyone on my friends list that has had a problem and i've got around 80 friends on my Friends list). Only place i hear about it on the internet.

And MS did actually release an official number. They stated that approximately 5% of the 360's were having trouble. Question it all you want...i believe that statistic over polls that can either 1. be hacked or 2. have fanboys come in and mess up the poll by voting that it's "busted" when they don't even have a 360.

I'm not going to deny that 360's are busting...every console has it's busted consoles here and there. But there are a hell of alot more that are working then there are busted. If it's not 5% exactly, it's definitely close to that. Fanboys blow it way out of proportion though. I know, yours busted...so everyone's must be "busting". It simply isn't true though.

This is irrelevant though seeing as you send it back to MS for free and they fix it for free (or replace it with a working one if it's unrepairable)...all for free.

Puckhog04

http://gamer.blorge.com/2007/06/22/retailer-xbox-360-failure-rate-30/

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gaming/xbox-360-failure-rate-30-says-retailers-271487.php
http://www.gwn.com/news/story.php/id/13201/Retailers_Claim_360_Failure_Rate_Is_Over_30.html

There's some numbers from retailers. Like I said, they say the xbox 360 return rate are around/over 30%. And that's Just the xboxes that have been returned to retailers. It is most deffinately not 5%, and indeed, likely closer to this poll than that. Microsoft said that was not official precent too. Maybe around 5% were shipped broken, but pay special note to this quote, "Some users have suggested that almost all Xbox 360s of the current design will fail at some point in the first few years of their life due to the design fault we detailed recently." Not saying it's true, just something scary to think about.

I also doubt that 73 (over 50% of the votes) Sony fanboys were in the 360 topic, and voted in my post, just to skew a small poll to make xbox look less reliable. I wouldn't say all the votes were honest, but I would say most are. About you talking about this poll being hacked, I've been following it closely since I created it. There has been no evidence to suggest hacking, the votes in one section never went down, and they're have never been any unreasonbly large jump in the ammount of votes. I can't think of anyone you is good enough to hack the polls here and hates xbox so much that they will go though the trouble of hacking a small thing like this. I'm sorry, but that was just rediculous of you suggest that.

I'm not saying your a lier about not knowing anyone that had problems with their xbox. But did you really ask all 80 of your friends if they ever had problems with there xbox? And why would you even ask that in the first place if you didn't think it was common at all for them to break? Did you expect them to tell everyone they meet online that their first xbox broke? I certainly won't talk about it unless the topic comes up, once I get a working xbox again.

I still love the xbox 360, and I still think it is the best of the next gen. But I would be lieing if I said I think it is the most likely to break of the 3 consoles.
Strife88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42 Strife88
Member since 2005 • 6073 Posts
My first 360 was fine until MS banned It for no reason.
The one I have now Is good.
xploded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#43 xploded
Member since 2005 • 1585 Posts
my first one i got December 2005 still works.
greenhornet211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 greenhornet211
Member since 2005 • 41 Posts
Had to sell the first one after a year to redeem losses after going to Tijuana. Seconds one works great. No problems here.
Joshua628

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Joshua628
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
Mines still working i got it about abit over a year ago
F1sTDaCuffS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 F1sTDaCuffS
Member since 2005 • 2570 Posts
go down to my listed youtube channel and you'll see how long it took them to fix it.
Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1642 Posts

Well my first 360 lasted about 8 months then it had the 'Ring of Death'. So I took it back to the shop for a replacement (In the UK all electrical goods have 12 month warranty).

Now this one was working fine since November 2006, then two days ago the DVD drive busted. The drive makes grinding noises takes ages to load a game and seems to be scratching the discs. I phoned MS who said this one is still under warranty, but it will take upto 25 business days for a repair/replacement!

Because of this I upgraded my Dual cored AMD PCwith a 8800GTS just so I could keep playing Oblivion!

I still love my 360 I'm going to miss it deeply :cry:

shawn7324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#48 shawn7324
Member since 2006 • 8690 Posts
My console lasted 6 months, sent it in got it repaired and then it lasted 3 months. I'm guessing they fixed it with used parts the 1st time in. I'm in the process of having it repaired again now which is taking much longer than last time. Last time they had it for 3 days, this time they have had it for 7 days already.
Dragonahcas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#49 Dragonahcas
Member since 2006 • 37 Posts
I got my one when it was first released in the UK. Its still working fine.
Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#50 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
11 months. the last two games I bought, Call of Juarez and The Darkness, started freezing a lot and then The Darkness just stopped playing saying the disc was dirty. When I pulled the disc out there was a thick grey circle on the disc. I checked my other game and it made little scratches on the disc.