How ergonomic is the 360 controller?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

creepy_mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 creepy_mike
Member since 2007 • 1092 Posts

You see, I work at a library and we're downright obsessive over preventing things like Repetitive Motion Injuries and Carpel Tunnel Syndrome, etc. Now I plan on getting a 360 sometime within the next year or two, and while the controller definitly seems more ergonomic than anything made by Sony, I'm a little worried about the position of the right analog stick and the trigger buttons.

It just seems to me that extensive FPS play with my right thumb stretched considerably farther than my left while reaching the triggers with my index/middle fingers could not possibly be very comfortable. The right analog just seems too close to the middle. Also, it seems this configuration is completely reversed with fighting games, given the ackward postions of the d-pad and face buttons.

So my question is, about how much/little fatigue or discomfort do you all experience after a few hours of play? Of course, this won't actually affect my decision to get a 360, but its still good to have heads-up.

Bruce_McGivern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Bruce_McGivern
Member since 2003 • 1667 Posts
None.
dj_pulserfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 dj_pulserfan
Member since 2007 • 3102 Posts

You see, I work at a library and we're downright obsessive over preventing things like Repetitive Motion Injuries and Carpel Tunnel Syndrome, etc. Now I plan on getting a 360 sometime within the next year or two, and while the controller definitly seems more ergonomic than anything made by Sony, I'm a little worried about the position of the right analog stick and the trigger buttons.

It just seems to me that extensive FPS play with my right thumb stretched considerably farther than my left while reaching the triggers with my index/middle fingers could not possibly be very comfortable. The right analog just seems too close to the middle. Also, it seems this configuration is completely reversed with fighting games, given the ackward postions of the d-pad and face buttons.

So my question is, about how much/little fatigue or discomfort do you all experience after a few hours of play? Of course, this won't actually affect my decision to get a 360, but its still good to have heads-up.

creepy_mike

None at all, heck my 7 year old nephew plays with mine for hours on end he doesnt complain.

Fergy33WF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Fergy33WF
Member since 2005 • 945 Posts

By using the space bar you stress out your thumb more than the xbox contoller.

*did anyone else kinda find this thread a little funny though?! really getting paranoid it seems!

Shade-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Shade-Blade
Member since 2007 • 4930 Posts

What in the hell does that mean...

Im not stupid but damn, I have no clue what that word means.

mrxb0x360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 mrxb0x360
Member since 2005 • 5253 Posts
The Xbox 260 controller is the most comfortable one I've ever held. The only complaint i have it about it is that the D-Pad is garbage which is mostly only used in menus anyway.
beutlich99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#7 beutlich99
Member since 2006 • 1129 Posts
It's fine.
Avatar image for HeroxOfxThexDay
HeroxOfxThexDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 HeroxOfxThexDay
Member since 2007 • 219 Posts

i was reading something like this a while ago..

microsoft invested alot of money to make it comfortable..it almost seems like this controller was designed for fps's i cant play and fps on a ps2 or ps3 and the only thing that might hurt your hand is the guitar hero controller but whatever..the 360 controller is the best yet..

arroliga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 arroliga
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

In general the ergos are great & I love my 360 but the right analog stick is terribly placed for the average man's hands. After 1-2hrs of RS:Vegas my right hand is aching.

s3lFc0nTr0l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 s3lFc0nTr0l
Member since 2006 • 3028 Posts

this almost sounds like a joke lol

but to answer your question, no, the controller causes no discomfort, itsa perfect controller (besides crappy d-pad but thats not used much)

Geek12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 Geek12
Member since 2004 • 1871 Posts
If you hold your hands out, as if your holding a controler, you'll find it harder to move both thumbs inward as if you were holding a small-ass ps3/ps2 controler. The Xbox controler is hefty and feels great in your hands. I wouldnt worry abuot it to much.
creepy_mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 creepy_mike
Member since 2007 • 1092 Posts
Alright, sounds like I have nothing to worry about then. Thanks, all.
tclvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 tclvis
Member since 2004 • 692 Posts

I was worried about that, too, since my PCs are giving me wrist trouble now matter how many cushions, wrist guards, and trackballs I use. The 360 controller isn't bad at all. If you sit there for five hours straight shooting at aliens, you might experience some discomfort, so get up and stretch! Seriously, not bad. Plus, I got little gel pads for the sticks and for the sides, so my controller is extra cushiony for my big hands. Plus, if your hands sweat, you can still hang on and survive the level! I got mine at GameCrazy, but I found links for you to look at.

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=802320

http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-Accessories-VAPCN-708056536244-Xbox/dp/B000BCEJP4

flowdee79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 flowdee79
Member since 2007 • 4483 Posts
Very ergonomic, hate the D-pad though, it really is terrible
Avatar image for deactivated-5f89ab8e63049
deactivated-5f89ab8e63049

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5f89ab8e63049
Member since 2007 • 3182 Posts
It's very ergonomic. I don't think I've ever had a problem with it. The D-Pad is pretty awful though, as someone has already pointed out.
III-Rob-III

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 III-Rob-III
Member since 2007 • 827 Posts
If your worried about carpel tunnel, stay away from guitar hero! xD
suade907

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 suade907
Member since 2003 • 380 Posts
It's perfect, it's by far the best controller of the next gen to hold in your hands. Especially for FPS's.
Licurgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Licurgo
Member since 2003 • 52 Posts
Well, I think the 360 controller is quite good... I have to say that one of the reasons I bought 360 and not PS3 is just can't stand that crappy controller anymore... I hated that sh** since day one and 10 years (and 3 console generations) later they still are almost the same... But microsoft did what I thought would be impossible: the made a d-pad worse than sony's d-pad... It's not big deal for most of the games but if you are like me and like fighting games (like VF5, DoA4) this can be a problem...
Packt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Packt
Member since 2004 • 3380 Posts

This is the most ergonomic controller I've played with over the years. Definately beats the PS2/3 ones, the only one that came close to how nice it feels was the Dreamcast controller, and obviously the Xbox one (small).

What in the hell does that mean...

Im not stupid but damn, I have no clue what that word means.

Shade-Blade

You're on the internet right now aren't you? Google it.

overfiend7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 overfiend7777
Member since 2003 • 47 Posts
Nope, the only time when my hands started to hurt was when I would use my middle finger on the triggers and have my pointer finger on the RB and LB buttons....
ernelson1976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

#21 ernelson1976
Member since 2002 • 170 Posts

I don't think the d-pad is all that bad, really. But I've never had to use it for more than a minute in a game (since hardly any use it). For extended periods of time, the d-pad might be a problem.

Odd, having had a 360 for a year and a half, I've never thought about how comfortable the controller is. You really don't need to think about it--it's nearly perfect. At first I found it odd that one of the analog sticks is more toward the front of the controller, and thought it might be uncomfortable, but then realized it makes perfect sense and works wonderfully. I've never liked the small Sony controllers, since my hands are pretty big.

I mean, be sensible about how much time you play at any one stretch, and take breaks every once in a while. Even the most comfortable controller will hurt your hands after six or eight hours :)

And as someone else mentioned: guitar hero is more likely to give you problems after extended use (I just finished a stint as I sat down to read this thread, and I can feel it in my left wrist).

jmartin1016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 jmartin1016
Member since 2003 • 1363 Posts
Overall it is one of the most comfortable controllers ever made. It is well balanced in weight and the buttons all have perfect risistance. Everything about it is great except the d-pad is slightly inferior to the PS style d-pad.
juicenpancakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 juicenpancakes
Member since 2006 • 700 Posts

The Xbox 260 controller is the most comfortable one I've ever held. The only complaint i have it about it is that the D-Pad is garbage which is mostly only used in menus anyway.mrxb0x360

I had no idea that microsoft made an Xbox 260! I guess it just got lost in the mix of all of the 360s...

NND1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NND1
Member since 2006 • 1416 Posts
This controlller is very comfortable not like the ps3 controller which hurts my hands after a short time..... D pad sucks but the controller rocks!
devjmoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 devjmoore
Member since 2007 • 103 Posts
It can be just a little better. I don't know whether these issues have anything to do with ergonomics, but sometimes when I get excited, I make a mistake and hit the start button. And sometimes it feels ackward using the trigger button and then the shoulder button. Other than those issues, it's a heck of alot better than the original XBox controller. I still wish they'd release the long awaited adapter where you can hook a Playstation controller to the 360.