How do you save music/videos/pictures on youur xbox 360 hard drive?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xgamesagex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 xgamesagex
Member since 2005 • 162 Posts
Can some one tell me how to save music/videos/pictures/ on your 360 hard drive espically from a removeable disc
wildmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 wildmatt
Member since 2003 • 1242 Posts
can't...you can only import Music via CDs, if you would of bothered to go on your system you would of notice that there's not even a console option in the pictures, it's something like computer, disc and external
mdcross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 mdcross
Member since 2005 • 34 Posts

Previous poster is unimformed - you can easily load media from cd's - iPod - PSP - and even a portable harddrive - this is done by the usb interface - I personally use my ipod and it is quick and easy

Good Luck!!

stevenk4k5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 stevenk4k5
Member since 2005 • 5608 Posts

Previous poster is unimformed - you can easily load media from cd's - iPod - PSP - and even a portable harddrive - this is done by the usb interface - I personally use my ipod and it is quick and easy

Good Luck!!

mdcross
Notice how the TC asked how to SAVE music onto the harddrive. It is only possible by using a CD; you cannot save music from an iPod or PSP onto the 360's harddrive. You're wrong.
creamsauce17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 creamsauce17
Member since 2006 • 207 Posts
 hes not wrong its just the way to save videos etc from ur ipod is not possible unless you mod the 360
wildmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 wildmatt

Good Luck!!

mdcross
hahahaha man maybe you should read the question before acting like a smart ass he asked to store on the 360's HDD, you cannot do anything except Music via CDs
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
[QUOTE="mdcross"]

Good Luck!!

wildmatt
hahahaha man maybe you should read the question before acting like a smart ass he asked to store on the 360's HDD, you cannot do anything except Music via CDs

Then what's the answer?
Avatar image for ColoradoKindBud
ColoradoKindBud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 ColoradoKindBud
Member since 2005 • 23882 Posts
[QUOTE="wildmatt"][QUOTE="mdcross"]

Good Luck!!

donalbane

Then what's the answer?

If you want to SAVE music on your Hard Drive, then you have to  put the disc in your 360 & rip it.  You cannot SAVE pics or videos onto your Hard Drive, only stream them.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#9 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
[QUOTE="donalbane"][QUOTE="wildmatt"][QUOTE="mdcross"]

Good Luck!!

ColoradoKindBud

Then what's the answer?

If you want to SAVE music on your Hard Drive, then you have to  put the disc in your 360 & rip it.  You cannot SAVE pics or videos onto your Hard Drive, only stream them.

THANKS! I've been wondering this since launch!
wildmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 wildmatt
[QUOTE="ColoradoKindBud"][QUOTE="donalbane"][QUOTE="wildmatt"][QUOTE="mdcross"]

Good Luck!!

donalbane

Then what's the answer?

post THANKS! I've been wondering this since launch!

If people would of actually read (by people I mean you) then you would of seen I answered it in the 2nd

Schumi7WDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Schumi7WDC
Member since 2004 • 1689 Posts
You can't save them for normal viewing, but you can save pictures onto the HDD for use as themes/backgrounds.  I had several on a CD and copied them to use as themes, so just to add that that is possible.  Music as has been said is doable by ripping it from the CD, and all other media is not savable to the HDD. 
cafeb4bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 cafeb4bed
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
So if you insert an audio CD to save it to your harddrive; how does it work. There is no option on my screen to rip it to your harddrive. Everyone is say what can be done but not how to do it.
konn3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 konn3r
Member since 2008 • 99 Posts

They say you can save from a CD but how????

pastorize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 pastorize
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Can I store my picture files from my pc on to the hard drive of the Xbox 360 Elite? Is this a good permanent storage space for my picture files rather than a external hard drive?
Smugz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Smugz
Member since 2004 • 75 Posts

Hm so I can save pictues if I do it from a CD?... like a data CD?

Gee... so in short... it seems like the Xbox hard drive is completly useless... well mostly useless... Man, tahnks Microsoft for screwing me over. :\

DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DJ_Magneto
Member since 2008 • 4675 Posts
TC, get past the bickering from the people above and consider this... Yes, I understand that you were asking how to save your music, video and pics to the HDD of the 360, but the EASIEST way IMO, to access your music and video and pictures on your 360 is to keep it all on an external USB Hard Drive or Thumb Drive and simply plug it in to one of the USB ports. It's so easy. Plug and play. You don't need to burn a CD with music and then rip the CD to your 360. While that works, it's a tedious process, especially if you have a lot of music. I have a 1 TB USB hard drive that I keep plugged into the back USB port of my console. When I want to watch a video, listen to my mp3s or view pictures, I simply browse to my External Hard Drive. (And you can set ANY picture that you view as your background. The only problem is that the picture will always stretch to fit the screen. So a lot of distortion unless the picture isn't already in the correct resolution. No way around that yet). NOTE: You don't have to format your thumb drive or external Hard Drive on your 360 to simply read media. You can just plug it right in and the console will recognize it as the "portable device" when you play music, watch video or view pictures. You only need to format it if you want to use the USB storage device to store Xbox 360 game saves and game files, profiles, etc. You can find a 1 Terabyte USB external hard drive for less than $100 on sites like TigerDirect.
DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DJ_Magneto

Hm so I can save pictues if I do it from a CD?... like a data CD?

Gee... so in short... it seems like the Xbox hard drive is completly useless... well mostly useless... Man, tahnks Microsoft for screwing me over. :\

Smugz
It's not worthless. Especially if you have enough space to install games there. Although I have an external hard drive for all my media, I still like having 120 GB to play around with on my console. Game installs, DLC, video from XBL, etc. That can take up a lot of space and it's nice not having to worry about it all the time.
DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DJ_Magneto
So if you insert an audio CD to save it to your harddrive; how does it work. There is no option on my screen to rip it to your harddrive. Everyone is say what can be done but not how to do it. cafeb4bed

They say you can save from a CD but how????

konn3r
When you insert an audio CD, go to it in the dashboard. Instead of pressing 'A' to start playing, you either press 'X' or 'Y' (can't remember which off hand, but it should be shown as a choice) to view more info on the CD. Similar to how you would view a game disc and install it to your Hard Drive instead of pressing 'A' to play. Anyway, when you get into the CD info, you should have a choice there to rip tracks. It will gradually rip them one at a time. Sometimes I've found with a burned CD, that some tracks will fail to rip. Not sure why. Hope that helps. FYI, the only reason I did this process of ripping music to the Hard Drive was so that I could use custom music for boxer introductions in Fight Night Round 4. In this particular game, you can only use music on the Xbox HDD for that.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
So if you copy music to your usb flash drive, you can't copy the music to the hdd? . My zune is old, and I've been having an issue where it randomly disconnects while I'm listening to music while playing my games. It's gotten so bad that I don't stream music while playing my games anymore.
DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DJ_Magneto
So if you copy music to your usb flash drive, you can't copy the music to the hdd? . My zune is old, and I've been having an issue where it randomly disconnects while I'm listening to music while playing my games. It's gotten so bad that I don't stream music while playing my games anymore.El_Zo1212o
No, you can't. (Note for that below...) But you don't need to if all you want to do is listen to the music. You can just stream it directly from the external usb drive or flash drive. NOTE: Now, I'll throw in that I'm not exactly sure if that is the case if you format a partition on your flash drive or USB hard drive through your Xbox 360. Remember, with flash drive and USB hard drive support now available on the 360, if you format a partition on your flash drive or USB hard drive on your console, you can store Xbox game data on it. I'm not sure if you can also put music, pictures and video on that partition if you have the device plugged into your computer. If that is the case, you might be able transfer music, video and pictures to your Xbox HDD. I haven't tried that. If anyone has an answer to this, please let me know.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"]So if you copy music to your usb flash drive, you can't copy the music to the hdd? . My zune is old, and I've been having an issue where it randomly disconnects while I'm listening to music while playing my games. It's gotten so bad that I don't stream music while playing my games anymore.DJ_Magneto
No, you can't. (Note for that below...) But you don't need to if all you want to do is listen to the music. You can just stream it directly from the external usb drive or flash drive. NOTE: Now, I'll throw in that I'm not exactly sure if that is the case if you format a partition on your flash drive or USB hard drive through your Xbox 360. Remember, with flash drive and USB hard drive support now available on the 360, if you format a partition on your flash drive or USB hard drive on your console, you can store Xbox game data on it. I'm not sure if you can also put music, pictures and video on that partition if you have the device plugged into your computer. If that is the case, you might be able transfer music, video and pictures to your Xbox HDD. I haven't tried that. If anyone has an answer to this, please let me know.

I think Major Nelson said on Xbox 101 that if you don't set aside an amount for storage, you won't be able to use the drive on your pc unless you reformat it. Could be wrong, though.
dissembled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dissembled
Member since 2003 • 357 Posts

I have a 1 TB USB hard drive that I keep plugged into the back USB port of my console. When I want to watch a video, listen to my mp3s or view pictures, I simply browse to my External Hard Drive. DJ_Magneto

Can I ask how you're able to use an external drive as a storage option? I recall reading that using an external drive is not a possible option with the Xbox 360.

DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DJ_Magneto

[QUOTE="DJ_Magneto"] I have a 1 TB USB hard drive that I keep plugged into the back USB port of my console. When I want to watch a video, listen to my mp3s or view pictures, I simply browse to my External Hard Drive. dissembled

Can I ask how you're able to use an external drive as a storage option? I recall reading that using an external drive is not a possible option with the Xbox 360.

You probably read that you could not use an external hard drive to store Xbox 360 game saves and game files. Which is now not the case with the most recent dashboard update this Spring, that allows you to format at most, a 16 GB partition for that. But even BEFORE that update, you could ALWAYS plug in ANY thumb drive or USB hard drive to your console and read normal media like MP3s, pictures and most video files (MP4 not compatible but some ways around that). You don't need to format it or anything. I just use a normal USB external Hard drive. Nothing special about it. Just plug and play. I store all my media on that anyway. When it's not plugged into my PC, I keep it plugged into my Xbox. Again, NOTE: You don't need to go through the format process on the 360 to read media. Just plug and play. When you view video or pictures or listen to music on the 360 you must always choose which storage device you are going to read from. Be it your Xbox 360 HDD, any internal storage the console may have, your PC if you have it set up to share and if you have a thumb drive or USB drive connected it will show as the "Portable Device". Go in there and you can navigate your folders. It's great because if you have gigs and gigs of music you don't need to worry about transferring files to your Xbox. You just select and listen. Same with Video and Pictures. Pictures are great because you can view your photos with friends on a nice big TV. And you can set any of those pictures as your background to your dashboard. And video is awesome. For game trailers that may not be on XBL video marketplace and reviews that I download from IGN or Gamespot or any other kind of video, I just download it to my external hard drive and play them on my HDTV through the Xbox. I would always tell people on this board to go this route as far as reading media on their consoles because it's so freaking easy it's not even funny. Everyone struggles with burning music to their CD's and ripping them to the Xbox HDD or sharing from their PC or using Media Center. I'm just saying, give it a try. Throw some music and a video or two and some pictures on a thumb drive and see how easy it is to read from your console. Then dropping $90 for a 1 TB USB Hard Drive would seem like a no-brainer.
DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DJ_Magneto
Honestly, since I've been plugging my USB Hard Drive to my console more than a year ago, my Xbox is used for so much more than gaming. It's my one stop device for everything I do. 1/4 of the time my Xbox is on is used for gaming, another 1/4 for watching movies be it on Netflix or DVD's, the other 1/4 for watching video I downloaded from the internet or XBL, and the other 1/4 listening to my MP3s or streaming LastFM. My Xbox does everything for me. Also, a good remote is a must for all that activity. That's why I use the Logitech Harmony universal remote for the 360.
DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DJ_Magneto
[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"] I think Major Nelson said on Xbox 101 that if you don't set aside an amount for storage, you won't be able to use the drive on your pc unless you reformat it. Could be wrong, though.

Thanks, I'll keep looking into that.
dissembled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dissembled
Member since 2003 • 357 Posts

Thanks for the detailed response DJ Magneto. Have one more question if you don't mind. :) Can you install games into the external hard drive? I'm guessing not. Just seems too good to be true.

DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DJ_Magneto

Thanks for the detailed response DJ Magneto. Have one more question if you don't mind. :) Can you install games into the external hard drive? I'm guessing not. Just seems too good to be true.

dissembled
I think technically you may be able to, but you probably wouldn't want to. You get a loading speed advantage by installing to your Xbox HDD. Not to mention the fact that your game disc drive won't be spinning loudly. But if you install on an external USB hard drive, the loading speed could possibly be even worse than reading from the game disc because of the limitation of the data transfer speed through your USB cable. You would probably only want to keep game saves and user profiles on your external hard drive.
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
Can I store my picture files from my pc on to the hard drive of the Xbox 360 Elite? Is this a good permanent storage space for my picture files rather than a external hard drive?pastorize
this thread is three years old :|