how do you feel about the xbox live price hike?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

vrizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 vrizzle
Member since 2005 • 1426 Posts

i havent been online for a couple of days because Im trying to finish out my college career but today I was on yahoo and I saw that microsoft was rasing all the prices for live, I was like what the F&%#, Microsoft is just money hungry now, I think i will have to buy me a couple of live cards before the price hike. i was just wondering what do yall think about it cuz i thinks its ridiculous but i guess we have no choice but to buy it if we want to play online

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
doesn't bother me at this point. 50 to 60 is not a big deal. However, I think it should 0 in the first place... We are paying for content already on the disk, and it's not like XBL actually hosts any servers for any games.
runekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 runekey
Member since 2008 • 697 Posts

doesn't bother me at this point. 50 to 60 is not a big deal. However, I think it should 0 in the first place... We are paying for content already on the disk, and it's not like XBL actually hosts any servers for any games.MethodManFTW

This is what I'm afraid of. Xbox fans have been paying for something that should have been free for so long, that they won't care if MS raises the price by 20%. Microsoft will get away with this price-increase scot-free.

I think i will have to buy me a couple of live cards before the price hike. i was just wondering what do yall think about it cuz i thinks its ridiculous but i guess we have no choice but to buy it if we want to play onlinevrizzle

Oh yea. Buy a ton of Xbox live cards now. That'll show 'em!

-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
aslong as they dont jack up the price of points and especially the price of games then i dont mind
vrizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 vrizzle
Member since 2005 • 1426 Posts

aslong as they dont jack up the price of points and especially the price of games then i dont mind-DirtySanchez-

i think that if they jacked up the price for live then they might think about jacking up the price for for microsoft points

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MethodManFTW
I can't see them increasing the cost of Microsoft points... they would never sell a non-exclusive XBL title again to dual console owners.
BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BLAS1AN
Member since 2003 • 3508 Posts

I feel dissapointed due to being a loyal subscriber just for online gaming and paying for an increase on features I dont use my xbox for.

I pay my cable subscriber enough for ESPN..I dont need it on my console

runekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 runekey

I can't see them increasing the cost of Microsoft points... they would never sell a non-exclusive XBL title again to dual console owners. MethodManFTW

you'd think so, but dual console owners still pay for Live, and from almost everywhere on the internet I've looked, NO ONE is upset with microsoft over this price hike. They just bend over and let MS walk all over them.

If they know they can get away with increasing the price of MS points, they sure as hell will raise the price.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MethodManFTW

[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"]I can't see them increasing the cost of Microsoft points... they would never sell a non-exclusive XBL title again to dual console owners. runekey

you'd think so, but dual console owners still pay for Live, and from almost everywhere on the internet I've looked, NO ONE is upset with microsoft over this price hike. They just bend over and let MS walk all over them.

If they know they can get away with increasing the price of MS points, they sure as hell will raise the price.

(i am a dual console owner btw, and i see you are too) yeah, but if you could get for example, lara croft on ps3 for 15 bucks and get it for 360 for 20... who is gonna get it for 360?
runekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 runekey

[QUOTE="runekey"]

[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"]I can't see them increasing the cost of Microsoft points... they would never sell a non-exclusive XBL title again to dual console owners. MethodManFTW

(i am a dual console owner btw, and i see you are too) yeah, but if you could get for example, lara croft on ps3 for 15 bucks and get it for 360 for 20... who is gonna get it for 360?

This is true. But the important thing here is that Xbox-only owners wouldn't jump ship and go to PS3 even after this price increase, then they certainly won't for $5 more on an Xbox game.

And that's how Microsoft works. Instead of slapping you in the face with a huge price that pays for itself over time (PS3) they nickle and dime you so people say "Oh, only $100 for a network adapter? That's not so bad." or "Oh only $80 to get my Xbox fixed? That's not so bad" or "Oh, only $10 more a year for live? That's not so bad". At the end you realize you spent way more for nothing.

And I do not own an Xbox 360, myself. I just have a silver account for when I play split-screen at a friend's house (for achievements and what-not)

HaDoKeN_NaTe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 HaDoKeN_NaTe
Member since 2005 • 1284 Posts

i just hope that we are getting something for the extr 10 dollars and that it's just not a money hungry thing by MS

runekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 runekey

i just hope that we are getting something for the extr 10 dollars and that it's just not a money hungry thing by MS

HaDoKeN_NaTe

Some people think they're raising it because of ESPN

RapidTurtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RapidTurtle
Member since 2010 • 344 Posts

HaDoKeN_NaTe

What are we getting now for $50? Netflix is on wii, PS3, and some T.V.s and DVD players for free. Facebook? I can go on my computer and do that for free, along with twitter. They don't host the games, it is peer to peer. What the hell am I paying for? Hell at least give us a damn web browser like the Wii and PS3. Thats all facebook, twitter and last fm are. They are websites that anyone with a webbrowser can access.

RapidTurtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 RapidTurtle
Member since 2010 • 344 Posts

[QUOTE="HaDoKeN_NaTe"]

runekey

Anyone with Cable and Sattelite are already paying out the nose for ESPN. Disney owns them and ABC, and if you watch the news a bit, you will see they are alway fighting with the providers trying to raise the price for their services. I know they are in a dispute with Dish network right now, and also Time Warner cable. How much more do we need to pay for ESPN?

runekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 runekey

[QUOTE="runekey"]

[QUOTE="HaDoKeN_NaTe"]

RapidTurtle

Anyone with Cable and Sattelite are already paying out the nose for ESPN. Disney owns them and ABC, and if you watch the news a bit, you will see they are alway fighting with the providers trying to raise the price for their services. I know they are in a dispute with Dish network right now, and also Time Warner cable. How much more do we need to pay for ESPN?

According to Microsoft, $10 a year. I mean, they already got rid of 1 vs 100, Xbox 1 servers have shut down, and who knows when Xbox will get Hulu.

Like you said, what the hell are you paying for?

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MethodManFTW
i would pay 100 bucks for xbox live if they would add emulation for james bond: everything or nothing....
hitterofpeople

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hitterofpeople
Member since 2008 • 265 Posts
In the UK it only affects the one month sub so it doesn't bother me at all.
Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts
It makes me want a teired supscription. I only use my Xbox Live for gaming and possibly Netflix (and I would be fine without Netflix). If there was a much lower price for just gaming i would jump on that because I really don't want to support Facebook, twitter, ESPN, Last.fm, and anything new they bring to the table. Also I thought 50 was as high as I would pay and it is. I will not renew for $60 and I am even debating if i want to buy the cards when they are on sale (luckily I have Xbox Live till next June and who knows if I will even want it after then). I have no problem with a price increase, but they need to make a lower tier that just offers access to gaming (of course Microsoft would look terrible charging for it since it is free on PS3, but hey it needs to happen in my book).
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts
I don't like it but there is nothing that I can do. I will just simply wait for a sale and buy a few years of XBL.
kipohippo021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#21 kipohippo021
Member since 2010 • 3895 Posts
News to me, link please? I pay every three months with a card in the us. Does it affect me?
skooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 skooks
Member since 2006 • 1411 Posts

News to me, link please? I pay every three months with a card in the us. Does it affect me?kipohippo021

http://majornelson.com/archive/2010/08/30/price-change-for-xbox-live-gold-subscription.aspx#comments

Personally I think this stinks. Yes, people are right when they say that Microsoft are a corporation and they're not forcing you to pay, etc etc, but it is the principle. The 'features' that the users are paying for are not features requested by or even used by the majority of 360 owners. Facebook, Twitter, these are things we're going to use our laptops and PCs for. We pay for Live so we can play online and that's all the majority want to pay for. So I really do think they should introduce a tier system. Silver is still free, Gold would be say $40 for online play and chat etc, and $60 would get you a premium sort of deal with everything, online play, Netflix, movies etc

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2b34c3a42a1
deactivated-5b2b34c3a42a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5b2b34c3a42a1
Member since 2009 • 2436 Posts

I don't see why people are making such a big deal out of this, its like a less than a dollar extra a month, big deal.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5b2b34c3a42a1

[QUOTE="kipohippo021"]News to me, link please? I pay every three months with a card in the us. Does it affect me?skooks

http://majornelson.com/archive/2010/08/30/price-change-for-xbox-live-gold-subscription.aspx#comments

Personally I think this stinks. Yes, people are right when they say that Microsoft are a corporation and they're not forcing you to pay, etc etc, but it is the principle. The 'features' that the users are paying for are not features requested by or even used by the majority of 360 owners. Facebook, Twitter, these are things we're going to use our laptops and PCs for. We pay for Live so we can play online and that's all the majority want to pay for. So I really do think they should introduce a tier system. Silver is still free, Gold would be say $40 for online play and chat etc, and $60 would get you a premium sort of deal with everything, online play, Netflix, movies etc

This is actually a pretty good idea and is definately what I'd prefer. I really don't see why someone needs to check their facebook on 360. It takes much longer than a PC would and has less features.

Sherjas24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sherjas24
Member since 2007 • 665 Posts

It hurts because I just feel kind of ripped off by Microsoft almost all the time I give them money.

Duke_51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Duke_51
Member since 2008 • 806 Posts

I don't see why people are making such a big deal out of this, its like a less than a dollar extra a month, big deal.

ColdP1zza

It's a big deal because we're already giving them enough money for the stuff we get. When the 360 was released, game prices went up $10, it's $60 for a new controller (and the console only comes with one) not to mention the actual service. All of that adds up over the course of a few years, and we're not all made of money.

As for Microsoft, that extra $1 a month for us is an extra $20 million a month for them...

93soccer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 93soccer
Member since 2009 • 4602 Posts
Doesn't bother me at all. 1 month price went up but everything else stayed the same in Canada so I'm good :D
navigata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 navigata
Member since 2005 • 7619 Posts

In Canada here, so thats the norm.. Always has been. Even for games, 60 bucks.

IzzieWaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 IzzieWaru
Member since 2010 • 905 Posts

navigata

Games are $60 in the US.

Monthly rates in Canada are going up for XBL.

And almost everything in Canada has an inflated price compared to the US.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5b2b34c3a42a1

[QUOTE="navigata"]

IzzieWaru

Games are $60 in the US.

Where I live in Canada games are all $70.

Doomtime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Doomtime
Member since 2004 • 4282 Posts
Doesn't really have an effect on me because I always buy subscription cards that are on sale.
stellos5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#32 stellos5
Member since 2006 • 153 Posts

I'm disappointed, but I'm okay with the price hike. With additional content and inflation it is only fair. I don't mind it, but sometimes I get jealous that Sony doesn't charge and Microsoft does, even though PS3 doesn't have near the quality of online games like 360. Still they got blu ray so Microsoft should throw us a bone once in a while lol.

Vader993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Vader993
Member since 2010 • 7533 Posts

i was going to buy xbox until i heared this,its really annoying

woonton9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34 woonton9
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

i think the current price was fine

navigata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 navigata
Member since 2005 • 7619 Posts

[QUOTE="IzzieWaru"]

[QUOTE="navigata"]

ColdP1zza

Games are $60 in the US.

Where I live in Canada games are all $70.

Well yea, 69.99.. Thats what I meant. Whoops