HOW can one shoot with a controller?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

greengloop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 greengloop
Member since 2004 • 285 Posts
I still dont understand how one cna enjoy games as awesome as Gears of War, Rainbox Six etc while playing with the contorller. I ahvent played with the xbox 360 controller. But I remember playing a few shooters with my PS2 controller earlier. It was soooo frustrating and stressful. you could hardly ever line up the crosshair to where you wanted it. How can you enjoy the game with such frsutration? Is the xbox 360 controller special or better than the PS2 controller that it responds to small changes or what?I still dont get it.
a55a55inx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 a55a55inx
Member since 2004 • 4188 Posts
U just get used to it after a while... most FPS games have an aim-assist feature that make it easier to aim at people(or aliens, etc) Of course, when you go from one way of playing games to another, it's difficult to adjust and easy to say that it's not a good way to play the games. I personally play games much better with a controller than a mouse and keyboard, simply because I'm not used to it.
campbell1874

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 campbell1874
Member since 2006 • 1920 Posts

On COD4 if i see an enemy at the corner of my screen then i can aim and kill that person with a headshot within a second.

The one thing that you have to adjust with each game and depending on the controllers is the sensitivity of the movement. You have to set a sensitivity that suit you and the game your playing.

If you play with a mouse then you know that you have probably got more accurate using the mouse over the years. The same goes for controllers. The longer you use them then the more natural they feel to use.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts
I assume you're comparing a controller to a mouse and keyboard. It's all what you're used to. I was a PC gamer until the original Xbox. It took me a little while to get used to the controller, but now it's second nature. It's not like a mouse and keyboard are a natural way to fire a gun either.
madskills6117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 madskills6117
Member since 2006 • 4172 Posts

Some times I wonder how people can shoot with a mouse and keyboard. Sure it's more precise but it definitely takes a toll on your hands/wrist.

skitzofraen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 skitzofraen
Member since 2005 • 178 Posts
I still dont understand how one cna enjoy games as awesome as Gears of War, Rainbox Six etc while playing with the contorller. I ahvent played with the xbox 360 controller. But I remember playing a few shooters with my PS2 controller earlier. It was soooo frustrating and stressful. you could hardly ever line up the crosshair to where you wanted it. How can you enjoy the game with such frsutration? Is the xbox 360 controller special or better than the PS2 controller that it responds to small changes or what?I still dont get it.greengloop

The 360 controller is accually very good for fps... the 360 have great analogstiks and trigger buttons, unlike the PS controller... I never got used to the analogstiks on the PS controller, they feel kinda clumsy, but I love the 360 controller...

I have had close to every single console ever made, and so far the 360 controller is the best I ever played with... I accually bought an adapter to be able to use my 360 controller with the ps3 and it works very well (the only thing I don't like about ps3 is the controller)
greengloop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 greengloop

Taking into mind that i ahve always played with a mouse and keyboard, how long do you think it will take for me o adjust to an xbox 360 controller? Is Gears fo War a good place to start with FPS gaming on the xbox os that I can get used to shooting with the controller?

What does an aim assist do?

doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 29

#8 doubalfa
Member since 2006 • 7108 Posts
its very intuitive you always know you have to shot with one trigger i think its very comfortable because yo uare actually pulling the button not just pressing
shaunchgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 shaunchgo
Member since 2006 • 4605 Posts
I prefer the 360 controller for shooters because of the right and left trigger buttons. I really didn't understand your post or where you were going with it. How can you shoot with a controller? huh.. Are you a PC gamer? please specify
Mau-Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Mau-Justice
Member since 2008 • 4907 Posts

I've played both sides. Used to play CS back in the day.

Controller = Better for headshots, comfort of being on a couch.

Mouse = Faster, more control and general accuracry.

It's really not as bad as you make it seem. You get used to it, and with a controller it's all about anticipating the shot, not doing unrealistic jumping 180's.

Starbound571

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Starbound571
Member since 2007 • 374 Posts

I have played shooters on both the PC and 360, even a few on the PS2, so I'd have to agree with what someone said here - adjust the sensitivity, it helps a great deal.

Also remember that each controller is going to feel different - PC mice in general are made in nearly all shapes and sizes, and keyboards sometimes have different layouts and shapes. (Believe me, I've seen some very wacky ergonomic ones.)

The 360 controller at first was pretty uncomfortable to me as well because I had just come out of PS2 gaming, which has the analog sticks next to each other on the controller. But believe me when I say you WILL get used to it.

elektrixxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 elektrixxx
Member since 2004 • 11804 Posts
You get used to it after a while dude.

I was once like you, and then Gears Of War came out!
campbell1874

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 campbell1874
Member since 2006 • 1920 Posts

Taking into mind that i ahve always played with a mouse and keyboard, how long do you think it will take for me o adjust to an xbox 360 controller? Is Gears fo War a good place to start with FPS gaming on the xbox os that I can get used to shooting with the controller?

greengloop

Aim assist comes in different form. You can get games where you aim near someone and the aim assist with put the crosshairs staight to that person. Other games will have only slight aim assist that stay near the target if the taget starts to move so you can follow the targets path.

I would turn off aim assist for most games as it doesn't always work perfect. You can be following an enemy when a different enemy get in your veiw and the aim assist jumps to the wrong person. Also the aim assist can have a habbit of aiming for the belly which is a pain if your ok at aiming like me and just want to go for the headshots.

It will take a couple of hours to get used to but you should still slightly improve after that.

Gears of War would be a good game to start as the controls for that game were good and it forces you to get used to accurate shots.

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

Taking into mind that i ahve always played with a mouse and keyboard, how long do you think it will take for me o adjust to an xbox 360 controller? Is Gears fo War a good place to start with FPS gaming on the xbox os that I can get used to shooting with the

greengloop

I would start off on Halo. Bungie really hit the nail on the head with the controls.

I agree that there is a mental block that you have to get over. Just remember that left stick is your WASD or arror keys. Right stick is your mouse.

skitzofraen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 skitzofraen
Member since 2005 • 178 Posts

greengloop

Gears of war isn't a FPS (1. person shooter) it's 3. person...
Strife88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 Strife88
Member since 2005 • 6073 Posts
I'm just used to it and I play almost every game with the sensitivity on high to make every shot as accurate as possible.
vendettared468

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 vendettared468
Member since 2006 • 4437 Posts
As corny as it sounds, once you get used to it it's like the controller isn't even there.
greengloop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 greengloop
I got my xbox elite a few days back and just finished Gears fo War today and I must say you do get used to it and its not that hard. Even though the mouse is still better though. One advantage the controller has is that it is easy to 'follow' and enemy. With the mouse its sort of jerky.
w4rgasm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#19 w4rgasm
Member since 2005 • 1253 Posts
It's called talent: that's how you get the cross-hair where you want it. Just practice a little.
chaoz-king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 chaoz-king
Member since 2005 • 5956 Posts

It's really not as bad as you make it seem. You get used to it, and with a controller it's all about anticipating the shot, not doing unrealistic jumping 180's.

Mau-Justice

Your right. I used to play CS way back in the day and I also played source. After I went to consoles I could not go back to css.

zdarec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 zdarec
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
OK, i understand, i must try to practice. But can someone me a good game recommend for starting?
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
I would love to have keyboard and mouse support for 360, but after a while you just adapt and get used to it. Tweak the settings to increase the sensitivity, and then just practice to get used to it.
Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

OK, i understand, i must try to practice. But can someone me a good game recommend for starting?zdarec

Since Halo, practically every fps game on the 360 follows that control scheme...because it works.

Strife88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 Strife88
Member since 2005 • 6073 Posts
High sensitivity, makes for some accurate shots in every game I end up playing.
clembo1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 clembo1990
Member since 2005 • 9976 Posts

Some times I wonder how people can shoot with a mouse and keyboard. Sure it's more precise but it definitely takes a toll on your hands/wrist.

madskills6117

The right hand is fast moving and precise and never takes much effort, the left hand on the keyboard is much harder on the wrists especially with all the buttons. You have to play games one-at-a-time on PC because the controls are difficult to remember at first but become 2nd nature soon after.

CronoSquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CronoSquall
Member since 2008 • 915 Posts

I point at the thing I want to shoot, and I pull the right trigger.

Apparently, you aren't accustomed to using controllers in a game like that. I understand, my first hour of playing Halo: CE was like that back in 2001 on the Xbox. I just got used to it.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
OK, i understand, i must try to practice. But can someone me a good game recommend for starting?zdarec
A Halo game would be fine, or COD4 - people like the controls on those games for a reason. You just accept that you're never going to be as accurate or responsive with the controller as you would with the mouse, and you'll get used to it eventually. It becomes a bit more about placement and strategy, because you won't be able to count on your unscoped midair headshots to save your butt when someone pops up behind you anymore. :)
Avatar image for HilbillyRokstar
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 HilbillyRokstar
Member since 2007 • 3236 Posts
Try Vegas2 terrorist hunt set to casual, you can play by yourself, at your own pace and raise the difficulty as you get more comfortable. Later you can play with others at a higher enemy count and difficulty.
Jdog30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jdog30
Member since 2008 • 4509 Posts

*reads topic* you pull the right trigger! :x

Lol when I switched from N64 controller for FPS over to Xbox original controller for shooters it took a little getting use to but now i would have to get use to the N64 controller.

Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts
[QUOTE="Mau-Justice"]

chaoz-king

Your right. I used to play CS way back in the day and I also played source. After I went to consoles I could not go back to css.

I used to be a hardcore CS player until Halo came out and i have to agree with chaoz-king it is really easier to get headshots with a controller (aim-assist is why), but the mouse is way faster (to turn and lock onto a person.. well unless your sensitivity is a 10 for the controller or something).

One thing i got to say is that i have actually went back to CS (well CSS) and while i wasn't as good as i was before it still came natural.

So if you get used to the controller and your already used to the mouse then you shouldn't have to worry to bad about going back to the other (unless you someone like Mau-Justice). Just like the mouse though you have to get used to it. If you only used controllers and went to a mouse and keyboard it would probably be a bit frustrating too. Just try not to have the mindset of doing good right off the bat. Just try to have fun and play it slow that way you will be focusing on what matters and that is getting used the controls and not winning. Once you got the controls down then you can focus on winning.

zdarec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 zdarec
Yeah, thanks
dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
I still dont understand how one cna enjoy games as awesome as Gears of War, Rainbox Six etc while playing with the contorller. I ahvent played with the xbox 360 controller. But I remember playing a few shooters with my PS2 controller earlier. It was soooo frustrating and stressful. you could hardly ever line up the crosshair to where you wanted it. How can you enjoy the game with such frsutration? Is the xbox 360 controller special or better than the PS2 controller that it responds to small changes or what?I still dont get it.greengloop
i can hardly ever line up the croshair where i want it with a pc. you just have to get used to it. im pretty sure pc is better for fps though.
wojopro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 wojopro
Member since 2007 • 279 Posts
[QUOTE="zdarec"]OK, i understand, i must try to practice. But can someone me a good game recommend for starting?HilbillyRokstar
Try Vegas2 terrorist hunt set to casual, you can play by yourself, at your own pace and raise the difficulty as you get more comfortable. Later you can play with others at a higher enemy count and difficulty.

I agree with this. My friend got better by playing co-op terrorist hunt with me. Just upped the difficulty and number of enemies when he was ready
69ANT69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 69ANT69
Member since 2007 • 8472 Posts
You'll get used to it eventually, I struggled when I first got my 360.
Avatar image for TIE_Elite_Pilot
TIE_Elite_Pilot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 TIE_Elite_Pilot
Member since 2004 • 829 Posts
Just give it time, and eventually it will "click." Something I do with every game these days is adjust sensitivity. as for good games to start with, Cod4, Halo 3. Halo 3 might be the easier of the two to break into, but I prefer CoD4, and both use a very similiar control scheme.
dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
also remember 360 is much better then ps2 controller
zdarec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 zdarec
Yeah man, i played a few games, and my shooting skill is rapidly upgraded!
zero9167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 zero9167
Member since 2005 • 14554 Posts
what do you play with? a keyboard? cause it seriously looks like you suck with it
hooded1man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 hooded1man
Member since 2004 • 1099 Posts
The fact that it has a little bit of an auto aim, also helps, if that were gone however...
grafkhun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#40 grafkhun
Member since 2006 • 12827 Posts

greengloop

gears 2 is a TPS not a FPS. I would suggest a something like halo3 to get used to analog stick aiming. Play the campaign on easy (it's very easy) so you can get used to it. but don't worry, you'll get used to it the more you play. I was the same, played FPS's on the PC, got a 360... took me some time but I got used to it.

Both m/kb and gameplads have their ups and downs, also the styIe of FPS relates to controller preferences as well. take me for example, I will never play a game like UT3 on the 360, I need a m/kb for a game like that. But something like R6V or CoD are better with a gamepad. so yeah depends on what FPS you're playing.

naruto7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 naruto7777
Member since 2007 • 8059 Posts
you get use to it
BaconB1ts123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BaconB1ts123
Member since 2006 • 1294 Posts

madskills6117

I agree. I never played games on my comp so I find it impossible to use a mouse and Keyboard. the few times I have tried I found it not too bad to aim but turning around was a pain in the but and the wrist.