HDMI and Optical at the same time??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

coderedfilm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 coderedfilm
Member since 2003 • 129 Posts
I just got the halo 3 ed. 360.  hhow the *$#@ do i run my optical audio and HDMI at the same time.  the big blocky cable that has the optical output on it totally covers the HDMI port!!!  HELP.  
FUBAR24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 FUBAR24
Member since 2005 • 12185 Posts
HDMi is a digital cable so it has both the audio and the video so why would you need the optical if you already have an HDMi
JOHN117_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 JOHN117_basic
Member since 2002 • 3418 Posts
To run video to our tv and audio to your receiver duh.
egg357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 egg357
Member since 2003 • 63 Posts

Yeah, but if you have something like an HDMI to DVI cable, YOU DON'T HAVE AUDIO.

You have to spend fifty bucks on the 360 HDMI kit, or find a friend that got an Elite.

You're looking for the audio adaptor that plugs into the standard jack above the HDMI.

coderedfilm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 coderedfilm
so, basicly, at this point, there is nothing i can do other rob a dongle form an eleite?  that is totally rediculous.
coderedfilm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 coderedfilm
oh, and by the way, you are totally right.  i want to run optical to my reciver, and hdmi to my tv.  and both components are in two completely different places.
JOHN117_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JOHN117_basic
Member since 2002 • 3418 Posts
oh, and by the way, you are totally right. i want to run optical to my reciver, and hdmi to my tv. and both components are in two completely different places.coderedfilm
Yep its a retarded way they designed the fiber optic option on the 360. True some receivers have an hdmi input and output but most will tell you a direct connection to your audio and video is better then running it through something.
IM_NO_NOOB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 IM_NO_NOOB
Member since 2005 • 151 Posts
does your tv have audio out? if it does just run that to the receiver
coderedfilm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 coderedfilm
my reciver couldnt be any further away from my tv.  more cables, more money.  plus if i ran it form the outs on the tv, it totally defeats the purpose.  i want dolby 5.1 surround.  not stereo.
M_v_S

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 M_v_S
Member since 2004 • 457 Posts
There's a seperate piece you need to connect the optical in. Should be in the box somewhere.
khabz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 khabz
Member since 2005 • 815 Posts
I just got the halo 3 ed. 360. hhow the *$#@ do i run my optical audio and HDMI at the same time. the big blocky cable that has the optical output on it totally covers the HDMI port!!! HELP. coderedfilm
Thats weird, I thought all hdmi-enabled system came with an audio adapter. http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemsetup/xbox360/accessories/hdmicable.htm check this story out: http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/31/hdmi-xbox-360-pro-missing-audio-adapter-what-to-do/
M_v_S

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 M_v_S
Member since 2004 • 457 Posts

[QUOTE="coderedfilm"]I just got the halo 3 ed. 360. hhow the *$#@ do i run my optical audio and HDMI at the same time. the big blocky cable that has the optical output on it totally covers the HDMI port!!! HELP. khabz
Thats weird, I thought all hdmi-enabled system came with an audio adapter. http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemsetup/xbox360/accessories/hdmicable.htm check this story out: http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/31/hdmi-xbox-360-pro-missing-audio-adapter-what-to-do/

There it is, under: Note . It has two stereo jacks and an optical.

gtg328v

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 gtg328v
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
I was going to remark that your TV's audio outs shouldn't be just stereo; i. e. even with only two connections it should be digitally encoded DTS or similar Dolby surround which your receiver would split back out again. Buying cables would suck and I thinkmarginally degrade signal between the TV and receiver with length, but it might be an alternative until you get whatever you're missing.
coderedfilm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 coderedfilm
that little dongle only comes with the elite.  not the others.
Taijiquan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Taijiquan
Member since 2002 • 7431 Posts

[QUOTE="coderedfilm"]oh, and by the way, you are totally right. i want to run optical to my reciver, and hdmi to my tv. and both components are in two completely different places.JOHN117_basic
Yep its a retarded way they designed the fiber optic option on the 360. True some receivers have an hdmi input and output but most will tell you a direct connection to your audio and video is better then running it through something.

It is very depressing to me how the 360 handles sound when it comes to the HDMI. Clearly, HDMI is better then Digital Optical due to higher bandwidth. The higher bandwidth allows HDMI to carry killer sound @ a higher bitrate. I imagine its space issue with 360 and not allowing anything but PCM @ 48mhz or higher. Dolby Digital @ 640kbs is perfect for DVD and not eating all the space. Don't even dream of putting something like uncompressed PCM in 7.1 @ 6.4mbs on a DVD. This is a huge advantage for a competing system that has a much larger storage medium. It is really hard to go back. I remember playing Xbox in 5.1 and just loving it over PS2 because at the time Dolby Digital was were it was at. Now, 5.1 @ 640kps can not come anywhere close to 7.1 uncompressedPCM @ 6.4mbs. It is like 480i vs 1080p native in the audio world. :'(

mrb45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 mrb45
Member since 2006 • 174 Posts
I have the same problem with my elite. I was pretty mad when i got it home and it did not have an optical port. I had to go back to using my component video cables so that i could have sound because my receiver doesn't have HDMI ports.
Taijiquan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Taijiquan
Member since 2002 • 7431 Posts

I have the same problem with my elite. I was pretty mad when i got it home and it did not have an optical port. I had to go back to using my component video cables so that i could have sound because my receiver doesn't have HDMI ports.mrb45

The Elite comes with the adapter.... The Pro does not.