HDMI & Optical Audio

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sedoras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Sedoras
Member since 2005 • 256 Posts
Hello, i've got my XBOX Connected with HDMI to my TV, which carries Audio Signals as well. I want to get a proper Amplifier and Speaker System, but i do not neccessarily need a full-blown A/V-Receiver. I just wonder: Can you connect the Xbox with the HDMI Cable to the TV and then connect the Component-HD Cable to the Xbox at the same time, only to get the optical Audio? (Not connecting the Chinch-Plugs that carry component-Signal)
Streborj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Streborj
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Hi,

I too would like to know a way to set my 5.1 up. I have just purchased an Xbox 360 Elite with HDMI. My 5.1's do not have HDMI and I do not want to buy another set. I do not have the HDMI cable yet as it was missing from the box. I have requested they send it to me but will I be able to use it and is it any clearer than the hd composites I have in now?

aDDiKt24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 aDDiKt24
Member since 2006 • 1265 Posts
Alright. You can connect your 360 to your tv via HDMI. Do that. Then, theres an adaptor for the audio that plugs in just above the HDMI port. Plug it in. Then you will need an optical cord to plug into your 5.1 receiver.
aDDiKt24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 aDDiKt24
Member since 2006 • 1265 Posts

Hello, i've got my XBOX Connected with HDMI to my TV, which carries Audio Signals as well. I want to get a proper Amplifier and Speaker System, but i do not neccessarily need a full-blown A/V-Receiver. I just wonder: Can you connect the Xbox with the HDMI Cable to the TV and then connect the Component-HD Cable to the Xbox at the same time, only to get the optical Audio? (Not connecting the Chinch-Plugs that carry component-Signal)Sedoras

Yes you can.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

Hello, i've got my XBOX Connected with HDMI to my TV, which carries Audio Signals as well. I want to get a proper Amplifier and Speaker System, but i do not neccessarily need a full-blown A/V-Receiver. I just wonder: Can you connect the Xbox with the HDMI Cable to the TV and then connect the Component-HD Cable to the Xbox at the same time, only to get the optical Audio? (Not connecting the Chinch-Plugs that carry component-Signal)Sedoras

yes you can. HDMI carries audio signals but optical output also works at the same time, i've used that set up so no worries, it works.

mattyrowden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 mattyrowden
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Hi,

I too would like to know a way to set my 5.1 up. I have just purchased an Xbox 360 Elite with HDMI. My 5.1's do not have HDMI and I do not want to buy another set. I do not have the HDMI cable yet as it was missing from the box. I have requested they send it to me but will I be able to use it and is it any clearer than the hd composites I have in now?

Streborj

The short answer. HDMI will be vastly clearer than any form of composite. Just a query though, what do you mean by your 5.1's do not have HDMI? A bit confused at this end