GTA IV vs. Red Dead Redemption

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Twizlerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Twizlerr
Member since 2010 • 109 Posts

Discuss.

(Oh and I can't post polls yet :()

Red Dead Redemption was fun and all, but I think GTA IV is the better game.

Red Dead Redemption had a fun singelplayer, but sometimes it felt like a chore. Such as the part when you have to train your son. That was really boring. It had a really good storyline though, it almost felt like a movie. The ending was really amazing, and the *real* ending was very fun. If you don't want to know what the second ending is, don't highlight the following text. If you don't care, highlight this:

****SPOILER***

When John Marston was slaughtered by the police, I was in total awe. When I was able to get back at that old man, I was so happy. After getting he information from his wife, I..."took out some of my anger" on her. Same with the old man's brother. That was really entertaining.

/end Spoiler

Anyways, after beating the singe player, hunting animals with friends, and doing little bit of competitive multiplayer, RDR dried out for me. Every time I put in the game, I wouldn't know what to do. There isn't really much to do in Free Roam anymore. In Singleplayer, I usually find myself playing a pointless game of poker or something. There really isn't that much replay value in RDR, in my opinion.

As for GTA IV, I'm still playing that game :P. I'm playing it as I type this. The GTA IV had an okay storyline, but for some reason that didn't matter. The pointless killing was really fun, and it is STILL fun! There is so much to do after beating the game, such as: Having crazy cop-fights (includes cruisers, hummers, SWAT trucks, helicopters, and snipers on buildings), going out with in-game friends/girlfriends, races, stranger missions, randomly planting car bombs on bank trucks in order to take all the money (really fun :D), jumping off the tallest buildings, picking fights with a hobo or the random guy who preaches outside your apartment... The list goes on.

Also, I have had so many amazing moments with friends in Free Roam. The random things we do are HILARIOUS. There is so much to do with friends on Free Roam.

The competitive multiplayer is okay, it was actually really fun when I played with 3-5 of my friends. There are some really fun game modes. Cops and Robbers is really fun, and even team deathmatch is fun. Another fun thing I did with my friends was when we would join a Turf War game (because nobody plays that) and just play it like Free Roam with friends. It was cool because we would gain levels and unlock clothing at the same time.

The multiplayer experience in GTA IV just can't compare to the multiplayer in Red Dead Redemption. I know multiplayer isn't everything, but after beating the Singeplayer twice, it really can give a game a lot of replay value.

So, what's your opinion?

Edit: I forgot to mention the hilarious spin-offs and products on GTA IV like the building Panoramic (Panosonic, lol), Sprunk, the iFruit phone (no screen, no buttons, no reception, and all EGO! LOL), etc. You probably know what I mean. I don't think RDR really had any of that. I guess just because it was a more serious movie-game...

jarhead1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 jarhead1990
Member since 2005 • 2079 Posts

I basically consider them on par. Whenever someone asks me about RDR I tell them it's essentially GTA 4 set in the wild west. Both games are incredible.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#3 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
gta is getting old... and last one didn't help all. in my opinion it was the worse. reason i say that is rockstar made the game more real then gta style. and they destroyed the fun in it.... red dead is new and great so i say red dead... but come on they both have perks the other don't
MrSolvo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 MrSolvo
Member since 2011 • 101 Posts

I've honestly played the **** out of both games and beaten both of them numerous times and I still have a hard time deciding. If I absolutely HAD to make a choice, I'd probably take GTA IV, and it pains me to say that, because I love both games too much. I think GTA IV has a bit more replay value which I think tips the scales slightly in its favor. From storyline to gameplay to multiplayer though, they're on par with each other in my book. I just love the stories in each one and then there's all the extra things you can do. Both of them are two of my favorite games of all time.

onebeelo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 onebeelo
Member since 2011 • 440 Posts
i liked gta 4 more never really felt interested in red deads story or characters. everyone was pretty cliche and uninteresting. nothing that wanted me to keep playing. gta4 told its story very well and ur constantly building new relationships with characters and the plot is always advancing. one thing that sucks in this game tho is the camera and combat. the camera auto-centres so no matter where u look its gonna pull u back to look straight ahead, its so godamn annoying. the combat is also wayyy clunky compared to red dead both games fell a little flat imo. the combat in red dead is smooth but compared to other 3rd person shooters its still very underwhelming - which would be fine, but not if the shooting is 90% of the missions. r* need to up their game with these sandboxes because theyre becoming tiresome, but with new ideas and variety in missions (not just driving and shooting) they should be alright. ps gta 4 save system sucks so bad
JakeMeltzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JakeMeltzer
Member since 2011 • 243 Posts

I liked Red Dead Redemption a lot more.

GTA IV had a main character who is supposed to be Russian (I thought he was Russian), but the actor doing his voice clearly is not Russian. The handling of the vehicles is way off & so is the auto-aim. GTA IV's story is not interesting. The biggest flaw about Grand Theft Auto IV is that it is just too dang difficult. The missions are tedious, frustrating, & ultimately not even worth it.

Red Dead Redemption has the best storyline, dialog, character development, & finale of any video game I've ever played. Checkpoints are generous, the gameworld is easy to navigate, & the auto-aim is much improved over GTA IV.

wwervin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 wwervin
Member since 2003 • 10274 Posts
I don't think they're all that similar to compare, but personally I really liked RDR it's one of those games where the story really stood out. I'm a big fan of Western movies so it was kind of cool to live through that period in a game and to be able to do some of the other cool stuff in the game like train horses and kill/skin animals so you can trade them in at shops for merchandise and etc. It almost felt like an RPG at times but a bada** one. The ending was also one of those things I never expected.. SPOILER!**** I personally think the ending kind of left a void that couldn't be filled. It's the first time in a game that I've really felt quite attached to the character and seeing him die for his family and then having to face the world as his son it was kind of like.. a journey ending. It was really poetic and really captured the essence of beating the game. The "real" ending to me wasn't really an ending. It was Marston's kid getting revenge for his dad. That wasn't the point of this game. It was called Red Dead REDEMPTION. The redemption was in what John did for his family, in going on his long journey in order to free them, and giving his life to give them time to escape. That's not to say I didn't roast that guy's wife with some molotovs or shoot his brother in the face with a shotgun.. but still I think it was just really well done and this is a really memorable game. I hope there's another one in the near future. / Spoilers*** Oh and the multiplayer is somewhat amusing too. Riding around as a fat Mexican with a huge mustache in a poncho on top of a donkey is hilarious.
Avatar image for der_spudmeister
der_spudmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#9 der_spudmeister
Member since 2005 • 607 Posts
Red Dead by a landslide. Better world, better characters, better writing, better gameplay, better soundtrack (:P), ... GTA IV is one of the worst games I've played this generation, while Red Dead is one of the best.
onebeelo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 onebeelo
Member since 2011 • 440 Posts

GTA IV had a main character who is supposed to be Russian (I thought he was Russian), but the actor doing his voice clearly is not Russian. The handling of the vehicles is way off & so is the auto-aim. GTA IV's story is not interesting. The biggest flaw about Grand Theft Auto IV is that it is just too dang difficult. The missions are tedious, frustrating, & ultimately not even worth it.

Red Dead Redemption has the best storyline, dialog, character development, & finale of any video game I've ever played. Checkpoints are generous, the gameworld is easy to navigate, & the auto-aim is much improved over GTA IV.

JakeMeltzer
ive gotta ask, did the majority play these games with auto-aim on? i played them both manual aim. but the camera&combat in gta was so bad i decided to switch it on because i couldnt be bothered. but red dead had really smooth gunplay, i dont see why youd want to play with auto aim there
ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

I liked GTA IV better, but RDR was in the top 20 games I've played in my life.

merv_wasted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 merv_wasted
Member since 2010 • 290 Posts

RDR for me

NoDzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NoDzombie
Member since 2009 • 1483 Posts

i think i prefer RDR but you have to consider a few things

GTA 4 was R* first game on this generation of consoles, it was also released 2 years before RDR

although built by different studios, they are all still a part of R* and they clearly took the lessons learned from GTA 4 and applied them to RDR in order to create what is (in my opinion) a superior game

having said that GTA 5 will probably be a step up again from RDR and as a result an even better game....

Squeezitgirdle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Squeezitgirdle
Member since 2010 • 1027 Posts

GTA vs Red Dead Redemption

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcECuMv2Glo

Avatar image for deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
Member since 2006 • 6013 Posts

RDR is way better than GTA 4 to me. ALthough I never finished GTA4, those friend call get on my nerves.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts
i love both games but i prefer GTAIV
allboutkiln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 allboutkiln
Member since 2010 • 508 Posts

RDR for me. I gave up on GTA IV after 2 hours, Saints Row 2 was better than that, proof that Rockstar does'nt own the genre.

orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#19 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts
RDR was better. It's my second favorite story in gaming history (1 being Bully). My jaw was to the floor at the climax. So much better than any GTA game can ever hope to be.
HALO2cookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 HALO2cookie
Member since 2004 • 5846 Posts
Saints row 2 > both
Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#21 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

JakeMeltzer

exactly. but i found using the Taxi in GTA IV made the trips accross town a little more managable. I just hate the traffic and the tedious missions. I found RDR to be MUCH more fun. RDR deserves a MUCH higher score than GTA IV. that 10/10 score was bought, not earned. but we all know GTA IV is not perfect.

smittyn96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 smittyn96
Member since 2011 • 34 Posts

both great games but if your into just goofing around i might side with gta because of all of the fun cheats and vehicles... lets face it red dead is great but its cheats are subpar to gta's

no one misunderstand this! i enjoy gta for messing around but for a more story driven experiance red dead hands down

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Red Dead by a landslide. Better world, better characters, better writing, better gameplay, better soundtrack (:P), ... GTA IV is one of the worst games I've played this generation, while Red Dead is one of the best.der_spudmeister

This. RDR was amazing.

doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 30

#24 doubalfa
Member since 2006 • 7108 Posts
RDR I could watch landscape and be thrilled as I couldnt stand for GTA IV vulgar humor and overused topics, and for a GTA game the game pace was way too slow
BlackDevil99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BlackDevil99
Member since 2003 • 2329 Posts

i loved gta iv (9/10 from me)
couldn't stand RDR (4/10)

i just hate westerns...

Avatar image for HilbillyRokstar
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 HilbillyRokstar
Member since 2007 • 3236 Posts

RDR-FTW!

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

i loved GTA4, but after beating it, it felt somewhat boring

i also loved red dead redemption, and i also enjoyed 100%ing it, but i couldnt get myself to do the same in gta4

kenchen23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kenchen23
Member since 2006 • 486 Posts

RDR, gta you are force to use auto aim b/c free aim simply dont work.

D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 232

#29 D3dr0_0
Member since 2008 • 3530 Posts

Red dead Redemption is better, I liked the story,main character and gameplay than some crappy game based around diamonds with Niko as the main character.

Leadtaco2o9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Leadtaco2o9
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

In my opinion, Red Dead Redemption is better. Singleplayer was a lot more immersive for me and I enjoyed the story a lot more. Not only that, but the combat was a lot better. Both are great games though. On the multiplayer side I felt like Red Dead had better mechanics because of the combat, but GTA IV was a helllll of a lot of fun on free roam. Playing it with friends is a blast.

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

i honestly thought GTA IV is much better than RDR. RDR is fun, but imo, GTA IV has much higher replay value. there's just so much more that you can do.

GAMESHARQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GAMESHARQ
Member since 2008 • 5988 Posts
I preferred GTA 4. RDR is a good game, and I can see why people like it, but I'm personally not into the whole western genre.
Cobra_Choke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Cobra_Choke
Member since 2011 • 56 Posts
Red Dead is a way better !!!!
tomo90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 tomo90
Member since 2005 • 2245 Posts

They're completely different. I just can't compare a game set in the wild west to one set 100 years in the future in a New York style city.

On personal preference however, then I would pick Red Dead.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10498 Posts

both start strongly but stagnate and lose their momentum around two thirds of the way in. the difference for me being that gta iv picked right up at the end of the game whereas rdr continued to go downhill. the last series of missions in rdr were excruciatingly dull.

gta iv for me

NirdBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 NirdBerd
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

Red Dead by a landslide. Better world, better characters, better writing, better gameplay, better soundtrack (:P), ... GTA IV is one of the worst games I've played this generation, while Red Dead is one of the best.der_spudmeister

God I love the soundtrack in RDR, and the scenary. Standing on the edge of a cliff and just looking out at the distance is one of the best, most relaxing things I've experienced in gaming.

-

I prefer The Ballad of Gay Tony to the actual GTA 4 game, but RDR is my favourite out of all of them, my favourite games by Rockstar are San Andreas, RDR, and TBoGT

Avatar image for Fallout3fan0330
Fallout3fan0330

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Fallout3fan0330
Member since 2009 • 256 Posts

RDR is a great game, but I prefer the setting in GTA

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

This is a year old topic that hould have been left to rest.