Gears of war 2, Worth it or not? is multi really THAT bad?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

squirt270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 squirt270
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I was told, that Gears of war two is ONLY good on campaign and the multiplayer is Horrific. Personally, I haven't played Gears of War One, so I don't know the story behind this game.

Would it be wise of me to get this gagme? And to be honest.. I like to play games online,... i.e halo, COD... =/ So I dont know, i heard multi was horrible

reubendarosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 reubendarosa
Member since 2005 • 2727 Posts
Gears 2 has it's off days, For instance. 1 day you'll have good connections and the other it will be really laggy. I just go online to play with friends who have good connections now. That seems to reduce the amount of times there is lag. In short. It's not THAT bad.
Raging-Cashew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Raging-Cashew
Member since 2006 • 866 Posts
i thought the campaign was really awesome and the mp at this point in time is not as great as it should be. Matchmaking and lag issues are the biggest problem for me but im still holding on to the game until they patch it up. btw i loved the original
iloverikku11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 iloverikku11
Member since 2005 • 11039 Posts
I played Gears 1 for so long and I hate 2. There is more lag than the first one, you can't choose map or gametype (HALO/CoD) and it takes forever to get into the match. Once you get in, people just spam smoke grenades and run in with the chainsaw and it kind of sucks you in. You are 2 or 3 feet away and they kind of warp toward you and get you. Also if someone is running at with you with the chiansaw, shotgun will do nothing. Far away, doesn't stop them. Close up, doesn't kill them. I am sorry this was a big rant, but I am really frustrated because I absouletly loves Gears 1 and had high hopes for this one.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#5 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

IMO its worth it, the online i find MUCH MUCH better then gears1 ever was. I only enjoyed coop in gears1, but gears 2 has horde mode and better gameplay imo for online games this time around. The shotgun isnt as powerful either which i think is a good thing.

When it first came out though the online had alot of lag and terribel waiting times to join a match. But since the latest update it only takes me 10-35 seconds to join a match.

gonebabygone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gonebabygone

I like the campaign and the horde mode is fun, but I find it completely impossible to play competitive multi. The controls are very sluggish and not as precise as cod and I always feel like I am moving in slowmo. Plus, with the lag, you put half a clip in someone's back and they just turn around and kill you with a couple of shots, extremely frustrating. It took me a long time to get decent at cod, but it was fun because of the upgrade system. There is little motivation for me to persist in gow's multi. Every once in a while I pop it in and say "ok today I am going to get good at this game" but after going match after match with almost no kills, I go back to cod. Much faster and precise controls, matchmaking is quick, and there are a ton more weapons. I've given gears an honest try, I really want to like it, but I just can't get into it. To be honest I really don't understand all the hype.

Shinoadr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#7 Shinoadr
Member since 2007 • 2667 Posts
Definitely get Gears 2 if you have friends to play it with. As its a blast to play horde with people to see how far you can go. The campaign is also great.
guitardude1243

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 guitardude1243
Member since 2008 • 647 Posts
Horde mode alone is worth the buy its such a blast, but the competitive multiplayer is an excellent endeavour as well, albeit flawed, but none-the-less is a great game, better than Gears 1 which was basically a shotgun-fest.
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#9 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
[QUOTE="reubendarosa"]Gears 2 has it's off days, For instance. 1 day you'll have good connections and the other it will be really laggy. I just go online to play with friends who have good connections now. That seems to reduce the amount of times there is lag. In short. It's not THAT bad.

Pretty much, 70% of the time it works perfectly online 30% it's odd...It'll be perfected my Xmas I expect
atrack800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 atrack800
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
The game is awesome!! And Horde is awesome!! The 1 bad part of the game is that multiplayer is completely unplayable online. As an example, I tried to play multiplayer for 25 minutes tonight and it never would start a match. This has happened several other times so I give up and go back to Halo 3.
Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Ket87
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts
If Epic would give the game a working patch then it might be good. The game has the obvious broken matchmaking to fix but also a ton of exploitable glitches (ala Gears 1), and several balancing issues. Everything can be fixed with patches but considering Epic released constant patches for the first game and it was still pretty much broken by the end of its life I have little faith in Gears 2 ever being fixed. But if your playing on a good day and you can see past all the BS problems you can see off in the distance a really fun game that is waiting to be played but is kept back by rushed development and devs who are too busy high fiving each other and saying how "rad" things are to really go through a mutliplayer with debugging tools before a game releases.
dreamtheater36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dreamtheater36
Member since 2004 • 252 Posts
I really enjoy the campaign, but the mp matchmaking takes too damn long! I finally got into a game tonight after giving up during the two previous attempts.
Avatar image for Un4givingAsault
Un4givingAsault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 Un4givingAsault
Member since 2008 • 1053 Posts
Honestly, campaign great. online is fun as hell as long as the match making goes well. It should be fine in a few months, took that long for the last one to flesh out.
guppieface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 guppieface
Member since 2004 • 1085 Posts
The single player is not very fun either. Most of it is on-rails, especially the last (5th) level. Its a bunch of gimmicky stuff. Don't write that on the Epic forum though, they will ban you. Cliffy B can't stand being criticized. Gears 2 is more disappointment and frusturation than fun, but the hype sold us all on it, just like Halo 3. What a bunch of crap, especially for sixty dollars. I would rent it and see what you think first, maybe theyll release a new multiplayer scheme through download soon (i doubt it would be soon though). Too bad, the 1st gears had a lot going for it. This one seems like a cheap cash in.
karriston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 karriston
Member since 2005 • 3631 Posts
The single player is not very fun either. Most of it is on-rails, especially the last (5th) level. Its a bunch of gimmicky stuff. Don't write that on the Epic forum though, they will ban you. Cliffy B can't stand being criticized. Gears 2 is more disappointment and frusturation than fun, but the hype sold us all on it, just like Halo 3. What a bunch of crap, especially for sixty dollars. I would rent it and see what you think first, maybe theyll release a new multiplayer scheme through download soon (i doubt it would be soon though). Too bad, the 1st gears had a lot going for it. This one seems like a cheap cash in. guppieface
Gimmicky? Like what? Of course it's on rails, the first one was too, and why is that a bad thing? Not every game would benefit from a GTA style open and world, and this is one of them. People are allowed their own opinions, but take that one with a grain of salt ^ Anyway, the gameplay itself is above par. Multiplayer is fantstic, with th exception of matchmaking. It completely destroys the flow of the game, especially when it takes over 5 minutes to find a match. If matchmaking was fixed, the game would be exceptional. As it stands now, it's a great game with a major flaw.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#16 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
If you're only in it for multiplayer just avoid the game all together.
dombrow3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dombrow3
I d

I was told, that Gears of war two is ONLY good on campaign and the multiplayer is Horrific. Personally, I haven't played Gears of War One, so I don't know the story behind this game.

Would it be wise of me to get this gagme? And to be honest.. I like to play games online,... i.e halo, COD... =/ So I dont know, i heard multi was horrible

squirt270
Game is worth playing just cause of the campaign. I dont really play this game for multiplayer. Play here and there, but I mostly play COD series! I love the story line for GOW though! Definitely rentable!
sk8erscott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 sk8erscott
Member since 2007 • 32 Posts
iv been playing gears 2 for about a week now i think im at the last chapter of the game the story mode is amazing and i didnt have any probs with online play...till now i never noticed lag or anything and its really fun i recommend u to buy this game for story and multi no probs
Aldous3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#19 Aldous3

Well, I loved the campaign, and horde is fun, but only for so long in my opinion. I really hated the multiplayer. Tried is numerous times, and it never got better. It was really laggy, slow to even find a group of people, and just not fun. I'm not sure either, but most games I couldn't hear my team, which doesnt help.
It's fun and all but i wouldn't buy it, I just rented it and still really enjoyed it.

Murj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20 Murj
Member since 2008 • 4557 Posts
Gears 2 is definitely worth it. It's one of the best shooters out there, and the multiplayer is actually realy good. Some people have had bad times with it, but I've had nothing but fun online.
MissMorphine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 MissMorphine
Member since 2008 • 1156 Posts
gears 2 is a really solid game. the campaign is fun to play specially co op. the horde mode is fun fun and so is the MP specially with friends cuz ppl can be really lame online.