Gears 3... will it live up to the expectations?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RoTiBoYz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RoTiBoYz
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
will the 3rd installment be any better than is Predecessors and live up to the hype or ...fail?
Avatar image for Victors_Valiant
Victors_Valiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Victors_Valiant
Member since 2010 • 398 Posts
I think there is little doubt that it will live up to the hype. The beta proved to be the best multiplayer yet for Gears of War and the videos of Horde mode make the game look outstanding. Gears of War 3 should be the best of the series by far.
Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

I think it'll live up to the hype, but I'm not setting my hopes high for how the story plays out.

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
It will be game of the year
-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
i think it will, kinda disappointed that there isn't gonna be a classic horde mode tho don't get me wrong i like what i have seen out of the new horde 2.0 but sometimes people just want some mindless killing fun and i feel the original horde allowed for that so well
moose_knuckler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 moose_knuckler
Member since 2007 • 5722 Posts
I don't expect to be as mind-blowing to me compared to when Gears 1 was released. It will still be an AAA quality game (like the first 2 imo).
orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#7 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts
Three words: HELL F***ING YES!!!!! There is no way this game will be a disappointment. Even after only the beta, it's my favorite multi player experience ever. I can't wait for this game to come out!!!!!
i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

doubt it

but will it be good, prolly

its not gonna be the games fault come launch day that people were expecting too much

Avatar image for HilbillyRokstar
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 HilbillyRokstar
Member since 2007 • 3236 Posts
will the 3rd installment be any better than is Predecessors and live up to the hype or ...fail?RoTiBoYz
It's gonna rock!
solo4321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 solo4321
Member since 2006 • 3338 Posts
It'll be good. Multiplayer will be better than the pervious installments. Story mode should be epic, since they are closing it out. As far as GotY goes, I don't know about that. It has a lot of competition, so we'll have to wait and see. I'm getting it day one. Horde mode looks incredible and beat mode looks fun.
Schreek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Schreek
Member since 2007 • 1637 Posts

No, because people complain about everything. It could be better than their expectations in 9/10 categories, and people would complain about that 1 category because that's just what happens. But it will be an amazing game.

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

People will always complain about how the sequel is worse than the previous installment but gears 3 will be the best out of the 3 hands down. The beta was amazing and the game is dam near flawless now. Like i said before people will b and moan over the sawed off and retro lancer but those guns are balanced imo. People just dont know to deal with them yet. The game is no longer shotgun dependent which is exactly what people wanted and are yet complaing about at the same time. Overall though i think most people will enjoy it MP and single player wise.

orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 orb_03_2006

People will always complain about how the sequel is worse than the previous installment but gears 3 will be the best out of the 3 hands down. The beta was amazing and the game is dam near flawless now. Like i said before people will b and moan over the sawed off and retro lancer but those guns are balanced imo. People just dont know to deal with them yet. The game is no longer shotgun dependent which is exactly what people wanted and are yet complaing about at the same time. Overall though i think most people will enjoy it MP and single player wise.

Gen007
Couldn't have said it better. IMO, the sawed off and retro are perfect. I am able to get kills with both, and I know how to kill others who use them. Simple enough. The mp is great. The only things that bother me are my own pet peeves.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
It will live up to the hype and be better than all of its predecessors.
LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
It's the last of the franchise, so it has to.
orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 orb_03_2006
It's the last of the franchise, so it has to.LustForSoul
They never said that. Cliffy said it will close off this trilogy, but he never said there wouldn't be another game.
tomrocks666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 tomrocks666
Member since 2005 • 3569 Posts

it certainly will, i cant god damn wait for this game, my birthday is in september and i care more about gears 3 than my birthday. the multiplayer just works this time and its incredible, the weapons are awesome and balanced im not sure why people complained. the annoying this is theyve nerfed the retros hip fire which is stupid because thats what made it great the fact that it could compete with the shotguns if you needed it to. but i digress, this game will be my personal GOTY no doubt. i will love the hell out of skyrim, i know i will but this is gears man!

and orb we totally need to play sometime when it comes out.

orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 orb_03_2006
Definitely man.

it certainly will, i cant god damn wait for this game, my birthday is in september and i care more about gears 3 than my birthday. the multiplayer just works this time and its incredible, the weapons are awesome and balanced im not sure why people complained. the annoying this is theyve nerfed the retros hip fire which is stupid because thats what made it great the fact that it could compete with the shotguns if you needed it to. but i digress, this game will be my personal GOTY no doubt. i will love the hell out of skyrim, i know i will but this is gears man!

and orb we totally need to play sometime when it comes out.

tomrocks666
Definitely. What's your GT?
Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#19 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

It better live up to the hype. I got all my purchases this fall planned out and I need Gears 3 to last me till Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3.

tomrocks666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tomrocks666

TheYorkshireTom - im english im afraid :L i seem to remember yours being something like kibbles but i dont know what it was exactly

orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 orb_03_2006

TheYorkshireTom - im english im afraid :L i seem to remember yours being something like kibbles but i dont know what it was exactly

tomrocks666
It's alright man lol. My GT is KiBBLES 2005. Also, my mic is broken atm. So if you send me a party invite in the near future, I probably won't accept. I'll be getting a new one soon.
tomrocks666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tomrocks666

ah ok no worries, ill keep that in mind. look forward to playing with you sometime.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#23 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts
I honestly think it will. Beta was awesome.
Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#24 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts
I don't expect to be as mind-blowing to me compared to when Gears 1 was released. It will still be an AAA quality game (like the first 2 imo).moose_knuckler
this
OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts

I think it will live up to the expectations for sure! I can't wait for it!

Microsoft1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 Microsoft1234
Member since 2006 • 7683 Posts
possibly, need to reduce damage by the retro lancer and fix the sawed off. It's in great shape, though I'd like stopping power to be reduced.
elpooz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 elpooz
Member since 2005 • 5883 Posts

Haven't liked Gears MP that much so far. It always seems lacking in comparison to BF, CoD, and Halo. It's fun for a month or so, but then I find little reason to continue playing online.The same thing actually happened withReach and ODST, to be fair.Hope thisentry has more staying power. I'm happy about the dedicated servers and I've been hearing that the balance issues have been fixed. The host advantage and gun imbalance really hurt Gears 2.

Singleplayer isn't worth paying for by itself imo. Gears 1 SP was fantastic, but 2's wasn't the same kind of experience (probably because it wasn't as refreshingas the first). BF3 is the only MP-reliant shooter/game that's coming out anytime soon that would get $60 from me for the campaign alone (12+ hours of greatness).

orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 orb_03_2006

Haven't liked Gears MP that much so far. It always seems lacking in comparison to BF, CoD, and Halo. It's fun for a month or so, but then I find little reason to continue playing online.The same thing actually happened withReach and ODST, to be fair.Hope thisentry has more staying power. I'm happy about the dedicated servers and I've been hearing that the balance issues have been fixed. The host advantage and gun imbalance really hurt Gears 2.

Singleplayer isn't worth paying for by itself imo. Gears 1 SP was fantastic, but 2's wasn't the same kind of experience (probably because it wasn't as refreshingas the first). BF3 is the only MP-reliant shooter/game that's coming out anytime soon that would get $60 from me for the campaign alone (12+ hours of greatness).

elpooz
Just a simple question ,but, how was Gears 1 story better than Gears 2 story? For me, Gears 1 had the most generic story i had played in a while. Lets go deploy a bomb, and escape? Barely passable if you ask me. Gears 2 was so much better. But I'm curious, why is the first better to you?
elpooz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 elpooz
Member since 2005 • 5883 Posts

Wasn't about the story as much as it was about the gameplay. Gears 1 felt really, really different from most shooters that I (or most people, probably) had played before and everything was very refined in terms of controls, combat, cover, etc. Gears 2 was great but it wasn't the "new" or fresh experience that Gears 1 was, and even though Gears 2 was great it falls into that "more of the same" category. If Gears 2 had been released before Gears 1, I'd probably have better memories with that game and be more fond of its campaign. If I had to look at the two and just objectively judge the quality, I'd say Gears 2 was the better game because it had better technicals, more refined mechanics etc... but if you put the two in front of me and told me to choose one to play again, I'd choose Gears 1.

It's like Halo:CE and Halo 2. When CE came out, it was a huge thing for console gaming and for the FPS genre, and was a whole new kind of (awesome) experience for gamers. Halo 2, while great, simply wasn't that same "WOAH" experience, though.

orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 orb_03_2006

Wasn't about the story as much as it was about the gameplay. Gears 1 felt really, really different from most shooters that I (or most people, probably) had played before and everything was very refined in terms of controls, combat, cover, etc. Gears 2 was great but it wasn't the "new" or fresh experience that Gears 1 was, and even though Gears 2 was great it falls into that "more of the same" category. If Gears 2 had been released before Gears 1, I'd probably have better memories with that game and be more fond of its campaign. If I had to look at the two and just objectively judge the quality, I'd say Gears 2 was the better game because it had better technicals, more refined mechanics etc... but if you put the two in front of me and told me to choose one to play again, I'd choose Gears 1.

It's like Halo:CE and Halo 2. When CE came out, it was a huge thing for console gaming and for the FPS genre, and was a whole new kind of (awesome) experience for gamers. Halo 2, while great, simply wasn't that same "WOAH" experience, though.

elpooz
Very well said. I completely understand where you're coming from.
MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#31 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

will the 3rd installment be any better than is Predecessors and live up to the hype or ...fail?RoTiBoYz

I can't see how it could fail, it's pretty much the same game we've been playing since 2007. Now, don't take that the wrong way there have been improvements but not anything major that has effected the already solid core gameplay.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#32 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

elpooz

Agreed GEARS 1 is still my favorite also.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 1

#33 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts

If the MP is anything like the Beta (minus the sawed-off) then YES.

orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 orb_03_2006
Why are people so mad about the sawed off? I know how to use it against enemies, and I know how to kill folks who have it. I mean seriously, if you see someone coming really close to you, and they aren't firing, something should really tell you that they have a sawed off. I roll back before they get too close and pelt them with the retro. Which is another thing, the retro is fine. I know it's overpowered, but the accuracy is crap. Good balance if you ask me. When I try and get kills with it, I really do have to focus in on my target. So for me, the retro is fairly hard to use properly.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Why are people so mad about the sawed off? I know how to use it against enemies, and I know how to kill folks who have it. I mean seriously, if you see someone coming really close to you, and they aren't firing, something should really tell you that they have a sawed off. I roll back before they get too close and pelt them with the retro. Which is another thing, the retro is fine. I know it's overpowered, but the accuracy is crap. Good balance if you ask me. When I try and get kills with it, I really do have to focus in on my target. So for me, the retro is fairly hard to use properly.orb_03_2006
The crosshairs literally wrap around the character. It fills up my entire screen. (I play on a 4:3 computer monitor)
orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 orb_03_2006
[QUOTE="orb_03_2006"]Why are people so mad about the sawed off? I know how to use it against enemies, and I know how to kill folks who have it. I mean seriously, if you see someone coming really close to you, and they aren't firing, something should really tell you that they have a sawed off. I roll back before they get too close and pelt them with the retro. Which is another thing, the retro is fine. I know it's overpowered, but the accuracy is crap. Good balance if you ask me. When I try and get kills with it, I really do have to focus in on my target. So for me, the retro is fairly hard to use properly.realguitarhero5
The crosshairs literally wrap around the character. It fills up my entire screen. (I play on a 4:3 computer monitor)

Really dude? It's different for me. i have a 42' LCD. It's easy at first for me to shoot. But then the recoil kicks in and it's nearly impossible.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
[QUOTE="realguitarhero5"][QUOTE="orb_03_2006"]Why are people so mad about the sawed off? I know how to use it against enemies, and I know how to kill folks who have it. I mean seriously, if you see someone coming really close to you, and they aren't firing, something should really tell you that they have a sawed off. I roll back before they get too close and pelt them with the retro. Which is another thing, the retro is fine. I know it's overpowered, but the accuracy is crap. Good balance if you ask me. When I try and get kills with it, I really do have to focus in on my target. So for me, the retro is fairly hard to use properly.orb_03_2006

Really dude? It's different for me. i have a 42' LCD. It's easy at first for me to shoot. But then the recoil kicks in and it's nearly impossible.

Im referring to the sawed off.
orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 orb_03_2006
[QUOTE="orb_03_2006"][QUOTE="realguitarhero5"]The crosshairs literally wrap around the character. It fills up my entire screen. (I play on a 4:3 computer monitor)realguitarhero5

Im referring to the sawed off.

Oh okay, my bad. Yeah I know what you mean. But wasn't that the point of it? It has a nice spread, but the range is crap. still stick to my original theory though. It should be a pick up. I hate that you spawn with it. Makes everything so unbalanced.
Warablo13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Warablo13
Member since 2009 • 1289 Posts
To be honest, it will be a great game, but it doesn't do enough new things to blow me away.. I think that's one of the reasons why I am not hyped for the game like I am for Battlefield or Skyrim....
hkymike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#40 hkymike
Member since 2003 • 2425 Posts
Nope def not
IIMPACT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 IIMPACT
I have played the beta and i believe that Epic has perfected Gears of war Multiplayer with an interesting storyline as well in Gears of War 3. They really have polished it up this time.
BiThBhE0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BiThBhE0
Member since 2008 • 1643 Posts
Yes. I really enjoyed the beta and as long as they keep the servers up 99% of the time then I'll be happy. Also, I want an epic boss battle at the end...not something scripted where I keep mashing the A button or just point my hammer of dawn.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Yes. I really enjoyed the beta and as long as they keep the servers up 99% of the time then I'll be happy. Also, I want an epic boss battle at the end...not something scripted where I keep mashing the A button or just point my hammer of dawn.BiThBhE0
That was lame. The end of Gears 2 had the stupid lambent Brumak that was really easy, and then just before it had Skorge that wasn't even fun to fight. Gears 1 did it right, minus the Kryll.
orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 orb_03_2006
Really? The kryll were my favorite part of the game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Really? The kryll were my favorite part of the game.orb_03_2006
Ugh maybe on the second chapter but not during the fight with RAAM.
Lord_Warsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Lord_Warsaw

Haven't played the beta but does multiplayer seem a lot easier to newcomers? I played Gears 2 online and I was obliterated, constantly. The learning curve on that game was way too steep and put me off completely.

orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 orb_03_2006

Haven't played the beta but does multiplayer seem a lot easier to newcomers? I played Gears 2 online and I was obliterated, constantly. The learning curve on that game was way too steep and put me off completely.

Lord_Warsaw

It's a lot better, believe me. The character movement is perfect. So being able to move fluidly and not feel cheated is awesome. There's not that big of a learning curve imo. But then again I've been playing Gears for ages lol. If the mp is too hard, I would actually recommend you play horde first. You will get a good feel of the controls and how each one of the guns work. Then again, you could just play campaign too. I would say just play against AI for awhile, then go online. Do local mp against bots, campaign, horde, beast, etc.

Lord_Warsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Lord_Warsaw

Cheers, I'll look into it more then. I actually forgot you could play against bots and what not. Should be suitable enough target practice. ;)