Games all beginning to look the same!!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tmills_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Tmills_basic
Member since 2002 • 483 Posts

Why is it that a majority of next-gen games released are all looking the same, and thus, playing and "feeling" the same.  I mean Splinter Cell looks like Rainbow 6, which looks like Kane and Lynch, which looks like (insert game here).  I mean I dont understand why all we are getting are these games about war, or espionage, or etc.  Give me a game without guns and "realistic gun physics and models".  Give me something different.

...Or better yet, let me get some new types of games with these overused graphics engine.  Let me get an RPG with Unreal Engine 3 or Crytek engine.  Let me get a game that actually looks colorful that is also something new.  What about a fighting game or racing game or something.  Honestly, I want a game that isn't about waring factions or realism or something, give me a game with some imagination. 

Tmills_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Tmills_basic
A good example of a game I do NOT want is Call of Duty 3.  The game looks great, but is extremely boring.  I think the point I'm trying to make is that people are too concerned with graphics and realism, and not concerned with whether or not a game is fun or imaginative or entertaining.  If you want realism, look at a picture.  Just wanted to see if anyone agrees with me
CooVee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 CooVee
Member since 2005 • 2161 Posts
Crackdown may be a good choice. It has a more comic book look to it then anything and you play a character with over the top super human abilities.
theshadow1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 theshadow1212
Member since 2004 • 490 Posts

games used to be alot more creative seems like we have fallen in a rut....

ipath4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ipath4life
Member since 2006 • 1221 Posts

I'm a fan of all three consoles, but the department you're talking about is one nintendo never seems to fall short in.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f93995c29447
deactivated-5f93995c29447

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 deactivated-5f93995c29447
Member since 2005 • 2063 Posts
I agree with you. A good example is cover systems. Why must every freaking shooter on next-gen consoles have a cover system? Can people think of something different? People are treating cover systems as if it were the new gameplay mechanic of the future. First of all, it is not a "carry 2-weapons at a time" innovation that Halo1 gave us, it is an unessential mechanic that is being copied over and over again.
wwervin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 wwervin
Member since 2003 • 10274 Posts
Try some other systems if it's innovation you're looking for. The 360 is basically known for being a system of shooters and such. Try the Wii, that's the system that has the most variety if you ask me. Also (and forgive me for bringing this up on an Xbox board), try a Sony system. The PSP for example has some great games like Loco Roco that go away from the typical game you see on every system.
Tmills_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Tmills_basic

Some examples:

"Fresh Feeling" games with good graphics:
The Darkness
Crackdown
Gears of War
Halo Series (The games technical graphics and artistic design are UNIQUE and great)
Devil May Cry 4
Perfect Dark Zero
Mass Effect
Portal and Team Fortress 2
Too Human

Games that don't feel fresh:
The Tom Clancy Series
Call of Duty Series
Warhound
Battlefield
Army of Two (though it does seem the gameplay seems fresh enough to save this game)
etc etc

all Im saying is that I want something new and different

wreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 wreak
Member since 2005 • 4645 Posts
ya i kinda agree, i find that the games i'm looking forward to the most this year other than halo 3 and GTA4 are things like blue dragon, and the FF1 & 2 remakes for psp. i want somthing different so i find myself being drawn towards to polar oppasite of shooters witch is basicley JRPG's. plus i'm also realy sick of the lack of story in all these 360 games, because i don't play much MP, i'm in it for the story and the single player.
mother_farter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 mother_farter
Member since 2003 • 16676 Posts
i think there is very few games that really look like one another =/ those that do kind of get bland since it dosent seem fresh and original so i can understand how you feel about that. but i think theres more games out there that have thier own original game engine and look like thier own specific game.
acidic_dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 acidic_dude
Member since 2003 • 1713 Posts
Gears of war, just kidding but really, if you have not played it, it is unlike anything you have played or maybe even seen, Another good one which is not out yet is assassins creed, looks great and looks creative and i cant wait to play it.
OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts
LOL at this thread.So far every game listed by this wise guy is no different from whats out there on console market.Go play World of warcraft simple.Of course games are looking the same due to they being built on the same engines or similar engines.What you key to miss out is that games are to focus on graphics and presentation rather then gameplay.Nintendo wii is offering no different just different controls with crappy titles like super monkey ball, godfather ect.Your best bet is to purchase a handheld and get titles like pokemon diamond, yoshi island ect.It took quite some time but Im loving the 360 due to games like Perfect dark zero, small arms, double dragon,Graw ect, still waiting on adventure games to come about.Please link your game libary as well.
Rayze78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 Rayze78
Member since 2004 • 456 Posts
I would have to agree with this post. I will always sacrifice graphics for solid gameplay and creativity. I dont know how many games I just stopped playing because of lousy camera angles, etc. Its probably why I havent bought anything new in awhile. I've been playing some older PC games, and enjoying some Wii VC and XBL arcade titles lately. Graphics and realism are nice, but not if the camera angles suck, or if the story falls short. There are plenty of good titles out there right now, dont get me wrong, but there should be more.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
All I can say is that you need to buy BioShock. It will be unlike any other game out.
linkinworm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 linkinworm
Member since 2005 • 3134 Posts
gears and halo, i dont remember MC being in a prison block, gota vid? and SC and RB6 are made bythe game person, so they might be a bit the game,
fenwickhotmail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 fenwickhotmail
Member since 2004 • 7308 Posts
u shud check out eternal sonata - graphics hav lots of artistic style
NoFXsNo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NoFXsNo1
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Eternal Sonata ftw
linkinworm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 linkinworm
Member since 2005 • 3134 Posts
All I can say is that you need to buy BioShock. It will be unlike any other game out. BioShockOwnz
nice sig, that band rocks man
SymphonicWaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SymphonicWaves
Member since 2006 • 832 Posts

All I can say is that you need to buy BioShock. It will be unlike any other game out. BioShockOwnz

Bioshock shall indeed rock. 

cheezisgoooood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#20 cheezisgoooood
Member since 2004 • 6130 Posts
I don't agree.  There are games that go more for realism, and then there are games that go more for art style.  The ones you describe are all the ones that try to go for realism, so to me it seems you want more art than realism.  You should probably get a Wii.