Gamerscore - Who Cares?

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

wraithbladeuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 wraithbladeuk
Member since 2005 • 336 Posts

I was just wondering how many of you actually care about your gamerscore? To me, it doesn't really mean a thing, but I have buddies with GS's of over 50k and they treat it like it was their bank balance the way they boast. My friend had his account hacked and the one thing he kept saying over and over was about how he'd go mental if he didn't get his GS back. I used to work in a game store and we had people that would specifically buy games like Avatar that were a notoriously easy 1k points and then return them the next day.

I just don't understand why it means so much to people when in reality it gets you absoulutley NOTHING. If you could do something with the points, or they unlocked things for you I'd understand. I even understand acheivements as it's a fun way of adding more life to a game, but playing a game that isn't even fun just to increase a number that doesnt do anything? It's a social experiment waiting to happen... (saying that, I'm sure there have been many social experiments of that ilk...)

Does it really mean that much? Would people care about it if it wasn't displayed on XBL for all your friends to see? More to the point, if you're one of the people that rents out sucky games just to increase your GS, why?

Not bashing you, just trying to get my head around it :P

opinions?

EDIT: My post is more about Gamerscore than Acheivements. Would you still bother with Acheivements if they didn't contribute to a Gamerscore? Would you get all the acheivements on any of your games if GamerScores didn't exsist?

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

I don't care about my overall score, but I do try to get all the ones I can out of the games I own just so that I get my money's worth.

wraithbladeuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 wraithbladeuk

I don't care about my overall score, but I do try to get all the ones I can out of the games I own just so that I get my money's worth.

Legendaryscmt

see that I understand. Acheivements are really fun. I clocked my 1k on Bioshock because the game was awesome and I wanted to do all there was to do. I just don't get the people that are really passionate and competitive about having a higher GS than anyone else.

Wakanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Wakanoid
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

It's the best feeling for me, I just love having an achievement once I hit 10k It was just really great, like I "Achieved" something. next is 20k then 30k then so on.

idk, It just gives me a good feeling, nobody really cares, but I just like doing it...

quijeros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 quijeros
Member since 2008 • 1728 Posts

Exactly how I feel, though it's still fun to go for some achievements.

NintendoGamer3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 NintendoGamer3
Member since 2008 • 2848 Posts
Im oppsessed with acheivements. I spend hours if not days going for them. It also adds replay value to games you love that ended. Its just fun.
Wakanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Wakanoid

Im oppsessed with acheivements. I spend hours if not days going for them. It also adds replay value to games you love that ended. Its just fun.NintendoGamer3

Let's be gamerscore whores together!

NintendoGamer3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NintendoGamer3

[QUOTE="NintendoGamer3"]Im oppsessed with acheivements. I spend hours if not days going for them. It also adds replay value to games you love that ended. Its just fun.Wakanoid

Lol yay! My friend calls me an acheivement whore.
sharkbiscuit79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sharkbiscuit79
Member since 2009 • 1142 Posts

Legendaryscmt
i agree if they are achievable at my level then i wii go for them, i actually compete against myself last year i set a goal for reaching 10,000 by the end of the year and this year 20,000 which im close to but i dont brag about it due to the fact i have had my xbox for 4 years and only just got 19,600. and i hate the people that do brag, the reason for this is the only thing there bragging about is having no life outside video games
Wakanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Wakanoid

Well, My friend has been playing xbox 360 for 4 years, I got my xbox 4 years ago but live last year, and I made a new account and started all over, my friend would brag how he would have more then me, Then I got tons of gamerscore in a few days. And I started cheering in the party he was in, then he got all pissed and told me noyone cares and i'm just a gamerscore whore :P

pete_merlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 pete_merlin
Member since 2007 • 6098 Posts

HArdly care about my gamerscore, but i do enjoy the achievements

ttobba07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ttobba07
Member since 2005 • 2396 Posts

I don't go crazy over gamer score nor will I get games just to rack it up. I feel it adds a challenge to some games and I like challenges. It is also a bragging thing among friends.

wraithbladeuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 wraithbladeuk

I don't go crazy over gamer score nor will I get games just to rack it up. I feel it adds a challenge to some games and I like challenges. It is also a bragging thing among friends.

ttobba07

but that's what I don't get, why is it a bragging thing? What's there to brag about? If you were saying 'I can run faster than you can' or 'I can perform advanced algebra' that's something to brag about, I just don't understand the reason to brag because your number-that-doesn't-mean-or-do-anything is bigger than your friends number-that-doesn't-mean-or-do-anything. I get people that brag saying 'check it out, I did this really hard acheivement' but if you have a 50k+ GS from playing crud games, it isn't impressive, it just means you spent your time doing something you don't enjoy to boost a number that doesnt mean anything :P

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
I don't really care about mine. If you got rewards like free games, DLC, accessories or discounted XBL pricing based on your GS, i'd care about it alot more. I still wouldn't go for 1000/1000 on every game though. I don't think most games are good enough to be worth the pain in the ass that 100% them can be.
gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I'm too lazy.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d307c5efcda
deactivated-57d307c5efcda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-57d307c5efcda
Member since 2009 • 1302 Posts

I somewhat care about mine. If I own a game that I enjoy then I like to get as many achievments as possible in that game. Right now I'm working on trying to get all the Mass Effect achievments because I really like the game and they are all obtainable without me wanting to break the game in half. Just shows that I really liked the game and have fully completed it. It's games like "get so many wins online" that I don't go out of my way to get them, If I do get them then cool. I guess I don't really care about my overall score, just my individual game scores.

candy2882

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 candy2882
Member since 2009 • 127 Posts

Achievements are fun, but I don't really care about my overall gamerscore. I wouldn't even think of renting a crappy game just for points. (Feeling of hitting 10k or 20k is nice though ;) Like you accomplished something big ^^)

xfactor19990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 xfactor19990
Member since 2004 • 10917 Posts
ijust like to unlock them
MaddenBowler10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 1

#19 MaddenBowler10
Member since 2005 • 8999 Posts
it's better than having no gamerscore system at all...
rp108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#20 rp108
Member since 2008 • 1743 Posts

I disagree with this claim that a gamerscore gives you nothing. First, it gives most people a sense of achievement, something they can have to show the time and effort they put into their hobby and/or addiction. Second, it makes people play games in a different way then they normally would play it which gives the game longevity and value. Third, it is another form of competition among gamers.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

I like when it has 4's in it, especially the last number

That's it

vp22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 vp22
Member since 2008 • 1443 Posts

I'm too lazy.

gameofthering
same here, but if the achievements are easy or fun to get then i get them
gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

I don't really care but I do like trying to get all the Achievements for a game if it's fun to do. I've seen people who are really into to them, good for them for having enough time to do so.

H_U_R_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 H_U_R_D
Member since 2006 • 4006 Posts

Legendaryscmt

thats how i do it too

there are some achievements i go out of my way to get, but very few, i mean i dont go for 1000/1000 on EVERY GAME

TrapMuzik92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TrapMuzik92
Member since 2009 • 3424 Posts
I dont care about my gamerscore too much...but I do like getting achievements now and then
-eddy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 -eddy-
Member since 2006 • 11443 Posts
I care a lot. Great fun.
mfp16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 mfp16
Member since 2006 • 4551 Posts
I'm a gamerscore junkie... why do you care so passionately about how other people fulfill their gamer fix. If you don't care for them... ignore them.
manocanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 manocanada
Member since 2008 • 405 Posts

the gamerscore helps me get more out of the game. instead of beating and then losing all interest, its nice to go back and hunt for achievements.

nate_c-12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nate_c-12
Member since 2008 • 3072 Posts
Gamerscore is nothing. Achievements are everything.
DranzarTypeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DranzarTypeF
Member since 2009 • 2623 Posts

Worthless titles and numbers that have no value to XBOX Live, they don't place you on a higher pedestal online, so whats the point of caring about them ?

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

id be pissed if i lost my gamerscore, but other then that, i dont care too much

i go for it mainly cause i love gaming, and any reason to game more is a good reason

i only bring out the "my gamerscore is huge" card when one of my friends whips out theirs.

"oh ur gamerscores thirty thousand? MINES NINETY THOUSAND ************"

jekyll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 145

#32 jekyll
Member since 2002 • 9140 Posts

People care because it is their "score", so to speak. Time was, every game hada score back when there was something called arcades in every town and if you were one of the best, you could enter your initials. Even on consoles, games had scores evenafter gamesbecame finishable, sothere was no real need for Sonic or Crash or Mario to have scores. Then there was that void when developers realized an overall score was a somewhat dated notion, and there was nothing to discern player A from player B; there was either finish or do not finish.

So now Gamerscore (on an individual game basis) represents your 'score' and tells you how you've 'done' compared to others who've played the game, much like leaderboards on arcade games did back in the day. A person's total Gamerscore just represents the sum of their gaming career compared to others, much like a money leaederboard in tennis or golf might, so I think it's understandable how some people are proud/possessive of it (thoughI doubtthegirls in 8th grade actually think a guy with a high GS is cooler than one with a low/no GS). Now yes, people who buy/rent super easy/kiddie games to up their gamerscore have a warped sense of it all, but you can at least see their game history and judge for yourself if their GS is deserving of any respect.

Avatar image for XD4NTESINF3RNOX
XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 XD4NTESINF3RNOX
Member since 2008 • 7438 Posts
i have almost 30k and still don't care
Anti-Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Anti-Venom
Member since 2008 • 5646 Posts
I like them, but I have more importanat **** to do
xgraderx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 xgraderx
Member since 2008 • 2395 Posts

I like achievments but I dont go out of my way for them,but I have alot of friends who do.I dont do multiple playthroughs on games that I dont want to play again just for the gamerscore and I have no time for collect X number of whatever,achievments.

xxxCr00k3dxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 xxxCr00k3dxxx
Member since 2009 • 1006 Posts
[QUOTE="NintendoGamer3"][QUOTE="Wakanoid"]

Im oppsessed with acheivements. I spend hours if not days going for them. It also adds replay value to games you love that ended. Its just fun.NintendoGamer3

Hey im yer friend so im gunna call you a achievement whore now.YAY u got a nickname.:PIm kinda addicted to them too but my GS is pretty low...Most games i have over *800 gamerscore for but some like AC i just put off playing so i never get them.Im trying to get to 10k by the end of the year which is very possible for me because i started this GT in July and only got live in September.:P And if you two are whores then i am your PIMP haha.
angelbelow000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#37 angelbelow000
Member since 2008 • 282 Posts

I don't get crazy over achievements and gamerscore but I do enjoy going after achievements. In the end it means absolutely nothing to me but I still like getting the little achievement unlocked notification and seeing my gamerscore go up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38 deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
Member since 2007 • 11536 Posts

we had people that would specifically buy games like Avatar that were a notoriously easy 1k points and then return them the next day.

wraithbladeuk

i did that :lol:

that describes it:P

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

If the achievements are possible and not insane I try to get them. The more I enjoy a game then obviously the more I'll play it and also be more likely to go after some of the achievements. Its nice to try and at least get half the GS for a game besides completing the gameto make you feel like you have gotten the most out of the game.

Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Twin-Blade
Member since 2005 • 6806 Posts

id be pissed if i lost my gamerscore, but other then that, i dont care too much

i go for it mainly cause i love gaming, and any reason to game more is a good reason

i only bring out the "my gamerscore is huge" card when one of my friends whips out theirs.

"oh ur gamerscores thirty thousand? MINES NINETY THOUSAND ************"

i-rock-socks

Are you a surgeon or a celebrity or something? How do you afford the games? Seriously, I've almost finished my schooling & I'm open to most careers.

Oh, and I've had 2 Xbox Live accounts. My current is around 4700, combined I'd be around 9k. I get maybe 4 new games a year, but I trade the ones I've played to death unless their really special for cheaper games. I also don't go for 1000/1000 unless its a great game that's fun to achievement hunt in. The only game I ever decided to go for 100% was Halo 3.

MercifulKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MercifulKiller
Member since 2009 • 499 Posts
It is like I care about my gamerscore but in a way I do not really. I find it something that I enjoy competing with myself with and I do not care if my gamerscore is not as good as some of my other friends.
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

I don't care about achievements unless they have a funny name attached to it. As for gamerscoree I don't even slightly care about it.

NintendoGamer3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 NintendoGamer3

[QUOTE="NintendoGamer3"][QUOTE="Wakanoid"]

xxxCr00k3dxxx

Hey im yer friend so im gunna call you a achievement whore now.YAY u got a nickname.:PIm kinda addicted to them too but my GS is pretty low...Most games i have over *800 gamerscore for but some like AC i just put off playing so i never get them.Im trying to get to 10k by the end of the year which is very possible for me because i started this GT in July and only got live in September.:P And if you two are whores then i am your PIMP haha.

Acually Alec is the one who calls me the acheivement whore. :) But your welcome to call me it also. :D I've only had my 360 since last November and I have my 22k, almost 23k. Is that good? ..

MastaP110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MastaP110
Member since 2004 • 230 Posts

The only use for having a gamerscore is for joking around and talking smack on your friends who dont have as high of a gamer score.

strawberry9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45 strawberry9
Member since 2006 • 875 Posts
I like the idea of achievements, however I think its been made the incorrect way, I think the credit you get for gettin 1000's on different games is unbalanced. When I look at somebody's gamerscore, I look at what games they have 1000's out of.... that's where you can bring in the "respect" thing... Like if somebody has 1000 out of orange box, then yeah that person has my respect, because that's difficult to accomplish. I myself only go for 1000's if I really enjoy the game, if not, I just leave it
sk8erwarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#46 sk8erwarlock
Member since 2007 • 533 Posts
Its just fun to try and get achievments and its a challenge that you're rewarded for getting stuff, the score doesn't really matter, but like im near 20k, so i feel like its maybe something fun to achieve and my friends letting me borrow Lego rock band [btw REALLY fun for a rock band game, easy though, trying to full game gold star it right now] so i'll het it soon
Avatar image for BloodSeeker1337
BloodSeeker1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BloodSeeker1337
Member since 2009 • 1278 Posts
I Coudn't care less about Gamerscore :roll:
LittleEnid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 LittleEnid
Member since 2009 • 552 Posts

Achievements give me a reason to challenge myself when I otherwise wouldn't feel motivated to. I've clocked in about 40 hours in GTA4 these past 2-3 weeks, when completing only the story only takes about half that amount of time. Doing all the little side missions and races and challenges are more meaningful if you get a reward for it, even if the reward is useless.

I don't really get bragging about it, though. I'd be kind of embarrassed if I had a GS of 70,000 or something.

MW2Addict89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MW2Addict89
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I enjoy getting acheivements and gamerscore but I find more fun in just getting the acheivement kinda to say I did it but not to brag if its worth like 150 GS or anything like that.

Lostboy1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#50 Lostboy1224
Member since 2007 • 3425 Posts
I just can't keep up with everyone so i just play for fun and not achievements.