Game testers scare easily?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for strawdogstudios
strawdogstudios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 strawdogstudios
Member since 2009 • 64 Posts

We showed our Xbox LIVE Arcade game to a publisher recently and one of their testers said the game characters were "odd and disturbing". Now I know they wouldn't win a beauty contest but are they really disturbing?

Space Ark Characters

I think that most of them are quite cute (admittedly in an odd way), apart from the Rabbit... we don't talk about the Rabbit. Something went wrong when the artist made the Rabbit... something dark got into his PC and ..... anyway, we don't talk about the Rabbit.

I guess I am a bit old school as I am not too fond of the over polished "focus group approved" game characters that appear in a lot of the Triple A games. Anyone else like odd/unusual characters?

tt_rss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 tt_rss
Member since 2005 • 59 Posts

We showed our Xbox LIVE Arcade game to a publisher recently and one of their testers said the game characters were "odd and disturbing". Now I know they wouldn't win a beauty contest but are they really disturbing?

I think that most of them are quite cute (admittedly in an odd way), apart from the Rabbit... we don't talk about the Rabbit. Something went wrong when the artist made the Rabbit... something dark got into his PC and ..... anyway, we don't talk about the Rabbit.

I guess I am a bit old school as I am not too fond of the over polished "focus group approved" game characters that appear in a lot of the Triple A games. Anyone else like odd/unusual characters?

strawdogstudios
If you were aiming for cute, I am not sure if you succeeded completely. They are kind of cute, but they also look like the kind of stuffed animal that will stab you in the back when you least expect it, especially the two to the left and the demon penguin second from right. It's the piercing eyes, I think. I prefer odd and unusual though, but I don't think I am your targetted audience anyway.
HaDoKeN_NaTe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 HaDoKeN_NaTe
Member since 2005 • 1284 Posts

They really aren't creepy but the eyes on most of the creatures are a little off setting because they do look a little weird and creepy but it really shouldn't scare anyone.

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

def not the cutest looking things out there but wouldnt call them scary. I just read the preview and saw the vid and your game reminds me of lumines.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#5 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
bunny? what bunny? to me looks like left to right...kola bear, tiger, penguin, fox(if you think this one is a bunny look at it's ears. pretty sure rabbits don't have cat ears) other type penguin, bear. and yes they look little disturbing. not scary. scary=fear in something and disturbing=emotionally or mental troubled
f_ZeroX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 f_ZeroX
Member since 2004 • 606 Posts

I saw the game trailer from your website and they definetly look funny and cute. I dont know why someone would find it disturbing.

Scryer999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Scryer999
Member since 2006 • 238 Posts

Space Ark Characters

strawdogstudios

They kinda remind me of Fur Fighters from the PS2

narog84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 narog84
Member since 2006 • 1126 Posts

sense when the testers have a vote anyway

strawdogstudios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 strawdogstudios

bunny? what bunny? .......k2theswiss

Yea didn't include the Rabbit.... we don't talk abo.... OK we talk about it, but we don't show it.

Dave_442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Dave_442
Member since 2008 • 405 Posts

Only thing i noticed is a couple have intense and kinda creepy eyes???

Best of luck though!

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
are you kidding? check out those "goo goo" eyes :shock:
strawdogstudios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 strawdogstudios

LOL yep its definitely the eyes that do it. Large and unblinking.

Game finally shipped on 16th so hopefully all the hard work was worth it. Peeps seem to be enjoying it based on the feedback we are getting.

strawdogstudios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 strawdogstudios

One of the designers just sent me this so thought I would share it....

Space Ark Times