Game Stop Loop Hole??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
Member since 2007 • 11536 Posts

i was thinking. i could just buya 50 dollar used game. i have a week to return it and get my money back.

Loop Hole 1: buy the game, then return and buy it again, return it, buy it, etc. until you finish it, go on to diferent game etc.

Loop Hole 2: buy the game, play it for a week, get money back. buy another game, play for week, money back, etc.

anybody try this or think about this?

LeGoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 LeGoofyGoober
Member since 2009 • 3168 Posts

you can do it, but it gets tiring after a while.

doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 30

#3 doubalfa
Member since 2006 • 7108 Posts
well if you take into account that most of todays games are pretty short loop hole 2 would be a great option

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa

LeGoofyGoober

how?

it's like free renting:D

LeGoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LeGoofyGoober
Member since 2009 • 3168 Posts

[QUOTE="LeGoofyGoober"]

munchlax99

how?

driving to the store.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa

[QUOTE="munchlax99"]

[QUOTE="LeGoofyGoober"]

LeGoofyGoober

how?

driving to the store.

driving to gamestop once a week is a good thing:P

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

[QUOTE="LeGoofyGoober"]

[QUOTE="munchlax99"]

how?

munchlax99

driving to the store.

so you wouldnt have a game collection at all? and im pretty sure the people who work at gamestop would find it a bit suspicious that you are buying the same game you are returning. Either way you'll have $50 and no games, or one game and -$50. either way your still paying for it

fear9204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 fear9204
Member since 2009 • 641 Posts

[QUOTE="LeGoofyGoober"]

munchlax99

how?

actually it doesnt quite work like that, they register your data so you cannot do that

PatChampsXXXVI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PatChampsXXXVI
Member since 2005 • 392 Posts
they don't take opened items http://www.gamestop.com/gs/help/Returns.aspx
Childeater10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 Childeater10
Member since 2006 • 3027 Posts

It would work if you returned a used game and put it towards another used game. They wouldn't allow you to constantly buy the same used game over and over... you would have to switch it up.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#11 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
they don't take opened items http://www.gamestop.com/gs/help/Returns.aspxPatChampsXXXVI
That's only on new games. They have a return policy on used games. Plus, they can't use that policy on new games that the store themselves have already opened.
kit352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#12 kit352
Member since 2008 • 592 Posts
i kinda do that but i think everyone has at some point. if i buy a game and it really sucks its going back. its kinda like renting it. i have in the past beaten games in a single seating and returned it promptly for being sorely disappointed in the game itself. halo 2 comes to mind.
TaxAndDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TaxAndDeath
Member since 2009 • 456 Posts

Yeah like someone else said the data gets registered you can't buy a game and then return it a week later and do it over and over they will stop you when you try to return it

nickdastick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#14 nickdastick
Member since 2004 • 5286 Posts

[QUOTE="munchlax99"]

[QUOTE="LeGoofyGoober"]

driving to the store.

chaoscougar1

so you wouldnt have a game collection at all? and im pretty sure the people who work at gamestop would find it a bit suspicious that you are buying the same game you are returning. Either way you'll have $50 and no games, or one game and -$50. either way your still paying for it

Yeah, they only allow you to do it a certain amount of times.

Magna_Man109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Magna_Man109
Member since 2005 • 5527 Posts
No it won't, they catch on eventually especially if you pay through a card. Even the employees there will recognize you eventually and suspect that something is going on.
Avatar image for Stealth-patriot
Stealth-patriot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#16 Stealth-patriot
Member since 2008 • 37 Posts

[QUOTE="munchlax99"]

[QUOTE="LeGoofyGoober"]

driving to the store.

chaoscougar1

Chaos is clueless bub, do it its a great idea! I would, if gamestop wasn't 25 minutes away from here! :D

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"]

[QUOTE="munchlax99"]

Stealth-patriot

Chaos is clueless bub, do it its a great idea! I would, if gamestop wasn't 25 minutes away from here! :D

lol just cause i didnt like your repair idea, awwwww. what i find nice and ironic is that you think we are all able to pull apart and 360 and put it back together with ease, yet you dont believe the employees at gamespot are smart enough to figure out what this person is doing. I also think that if i had gone the other way and said it was a great idea, you would hate it, pretty much u just wanted to disagree without any reasoning or logic. nice work ;)
Avatar image for addictedtochaos
addictedtochaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 addictedtochaos
Member since 2004 • 1142 Posts

it would only work for a little while, you would be cut off eventually.

Silverpeel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Silverpeel
Member since 2009 • 1607 Posts
If they didn't keep track of it I would probably do it. Especially since it wouldn't cost anything to get there because I live about 100 yards away and I can see the store from my living room and bedroom window. I can even read when they are having a sale.
pete_merlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 pete_merlin
Member since 2007 • 6098 Posts
[QUOTE="munchlax99"]

i was thinking. i could just buya 50 dollar used game. i have a week to return it and get my money back.

Loop Hole 1: buy the game, then return and buy it again, return it, buy it, etc. until you finish it, go on to diferent game etc.

Loop Hole 2: buy the game, play it for a week, get money back. buy another game, play for week, money back, etc.

anybody try this or think about this?

2 sounds better
CNUrGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 CNUrGames
Member since 2005 • 1867 Posts
That's if they'll let you get another game. The one week return thing is for defective products. If you return something defective, they may be nice and let you get something else but they also may give you another copy of the same game. It's not just a "try it and then if you don't like it, return it" system. With the length of games now and people coming up with plans like this, they'd make no money.
StudySession

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 StudySession
Member since 2009 • 1539 Posts

I don't think that would work. I bought a broken copy of metal gear solid 2 there and when I tried to return it they would not refund me they would only replace it. To bad the store I was at did not have any more copys so they told me to drive all the way across my city to a different eb games location to get another copy of a $10 game. Needless to say I only go into eb games if I can't find what I want anywhere else now.

PatChampsXXXVI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PatChampsXXXVI
Member since 2005 • 392 Posts
[QUOTE="PatChampsXXXVI"]they don't take opened items http://www.gamestop.com/gs/help/Returns.aspxUT_Wrestler
That's only on new games. They have a return policy on used games. Plus, they can't use that policy on new games that the store themselves have already opened.

sorry, i don't know why i didn't figure that out myself
magicteapot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 magicteapot
Member since 2005 • 30 Posts

Does the "I just don't like the game" excuse work? Or do you have to say it's defective.

hotplayer220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#25 hotplayer220
Member since 2004 • 1818 Posts

If its obvious they will also ban you from there store. There are 6 kids banned from the local Gamestop for trying that stunt.

Silverpeel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Silverpeel
That's if they'll let you get another game. The one week return thing is for defective products. If you return something defective, they may be nice and let you get something else but they also may give you another copy of the same game. It's not just a "try it and then if you don't like it, return it" system. With the length of games now and people coming up with plans like this, they'd make no money.CNUrGames
No, they have a 30 day policy for defects. They even tell you, if you don't like the game you can bring it back and exchange it for something else, or get the full value you paid in store credit.
Kaos39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 Kaos39
Member since 2007 • 695 Posts
Probably work at first until they start realising your returning games every other week and buying a new one. I have however done it once, and I've also bought a used copy of a game that my disc was broken for, but the broken disc in the case and returned it. There's many loop holes with GameStop.
Decoy123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 Decoy123
Member since 2004 • 816 Posts

they will only replace it for the same copy within that time i think

raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#29 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
Wouldn't you feel bad for not paying for something though? I mean you are basically saying it is ok to use stuff for free, despite the fact people's livelihood is based on the sale or at least rent of the item... It also then causes people to reevaluate 'benefits' of such a program. For example, people abuse this policy and pretty soon the policy gets abolished. What if you ever got stuck with something you really didn't want and had no way of returning it anymore because the policies didn't allow returns at all? Personally, I would start requiring ID for returns, and as such cutting out the loop-hole. No ID, no receipt, no return. Simple enough and cuts out the fake customers and trash.
Silverpeel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Silverpeel
Personally, I wouldn't feel bad at all for taking advantage of them. Do you think they feel bad about taking advantage of other customers when they low ball them a price then sell it to someone else for a lot more. Also, they don't sell games as 'new', they open them and store the disc behind the counter where employees can 'rent' them and bring them back. I would not feel bad at all if I was using their policy against them.
raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 raahsnavj
Personally, I wouldn't feel bad at all for taking advantage of them. Do you think they feel bad about taking advantage of other customers when they low ball them a price then sell it to someone else for a lot more. Also, they don't sell games as 'new', they open them and store the disc behind the counter where employees can 'rent' them and bring them back. I would not feel bad at all if I was using their policy against them.Silverpeel
Wait, you are angry at them for lowballing trade-ins the the person has every right to say no to and walk back out? Then you yourselves give the finger to devs by not even buying OR renting a game? I think your real solution would be to not go to GS is you hate them so much. This 'GS loop hole' is really nothing more than a way to rip off the industry not GS.
Kounterfit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Kounterfit
Member since 2005 • 1230 Posts
I have done this before, on some game I bought and didn't like. And the guy said he would do it for me that time only because people take advantage of that loop hole all the time. Think about it, you are renting a game for free basically. As if you thought of something that gamestop hasnt.
CNUrGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 CNUrGames
Member since 2005 • 1867 Posts
[QUOTE="Silverpeel"]Personally, I wouldn't feel bad at all for taking advantage of them. Do you think they feel bad about taking advantage of other customers when they low ball them a price then sell it to someone else for a lot more. Also, they don't sell games as 'new', they open them and store the disc behind the counter where employees can 'rent' them and bring them back. I would not feel bad at all if I was using their policy against them.raahsnavj
Wait, you are angry at them for lowballing trade-ins the the person has every right to say no to and walk back out? Then you yourselves give the finger to devs by not even buying OR renting a game? I think your real solution would be to not go to GS is you hate them so much. This 'GS loop hole' is really nothing more than a way to rip off the industry not GS.

I agree completely. I have worked in a game store and I've seen customers take their games back when they realize how much they're getting for them. If they gave you 15 dollars for your old, used version of a game and then sold it for 15 they wouldn't make any money. And most of their trade ins get flooded with certain games. Walk into any gamestop right now and they'll have TONS of copies of games that didnt' do well or are outdated (like old sports games) that they still had to give trade-in money to people for, even though they'll probably never sell that copy of the game.
Silverpeel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Silverpeel
[QUOTE="Silverpeel"]Personally, I wouldn't feel bad at all for taking advantage of them. Do you think they feel bad about taking advantage of other customers when they low ball them a price then sell it to someone else for a lot more. Also, they don't sell games as 'new', they open them and store the disc behind the counter where employees can 'rent' them and bring them back. I would not feel bad at all if I was using their policy against them.raahsnavj

No, I am not angry at all. I said if their policy is that it rips off the customers by not giving them hardly anything for their games, then resells them at 5 dollars below the 'new' price, then I wouldn't feel bad for taking advantage of their 'loop hole' that was brought up in the TC post. I don't usually shop at gamestop and I never trade, I go in there once in a while to see if I can find a good deal. But a lot of the time I can't. I didn't say anything about customers being able to say no. I think if they can't realize that they can get more for it then that is their loss.
raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 raahsnavj
[QUOTE="raahsnavj"]Wait, you are angry at them for lowballing trade-ins the the person has every right to say no to and walk back out? Then you yourselves give the finger to devs by not even buying OR renting a game? I think your real solution would be to not go to GS is you hate them so much. This 'GS loop hole' is really nothing more than a way to rip off the industry not GS.Silverpeel
No, I am not angry at all. I said if their policy is that it rips off the customers by not giving them hardly anything for their games, then resells them at 5 dollars below the 'new' price, then I wouldn't feel bad for taking advantage of their 'loop hole' that was brought up in the TC post. I don't usually shop at gamestop and I never trade, I go in there once in a while to see if I can find a good deal. But a lot of the time I can't. I didn't say anything about customers being able to say no. I think if they can't realize that they can get more for it then that is their loss.

I think the bold part is the difference of opinion. You see it as ripping off GS, I see it as not paying the developers, or renters (who have to buy the game and as such paying the developers) and pretending it is ok because GS was in the mix somehow. How is this different than pirating the game and then deleting the download after you get tired of it?
OliveMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 OliveMaster
Member since 2007 • 306 Posts
They would call the police on you and you could definitely get sued.
Avatar image for killertrumpet92
killertrumpet92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 killertrumpet92
Member since 2007 • 440 Posts

I made a blog about this same thing and I got modded for it so i'd watch out.

mr__gameboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mr__gameboy
Member since 2006 • 553 Posts

at my gamestop, you can do it two times. the third time you take it back or whatever you take back, they look at the receipt and on the third, its final. thats how they do me. but yes it is good if there is a short game you want to play, take it back and get another, then get the game you can hang onto on the third go round. its the one good thing about gamestop

ghost5891

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#39 ghost5891
Member since 2004 • 1296 Posts
eventually after so long they'll cut you off from doing it. i have a friend that works there and they stopped a guy from doing it after a couple months. you can try it though. it might depend on how your local gamestop operates.
Avatar image for jensen_slipknot
jensen_slipknot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40 jensen_slipknot
Member since 2006 • 2559 Posts
with the campaign and xbox live its kinda hard to be done with a game after one week.
bronxxbombers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 bronxxbombers
Member since 2009 • 2840 Posts
My mom will almost never take me, defintaly not weekly. Thats why I want a paypal, for ebay.
Avatar image for RAMRODtheMASTER
RAMRODtheMASTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 RAMRODtheMASTER
Member since 2009 • 8107 Posts

[QUOTE="munchlax99"]

[QUOTE="LeGoofyGoober"]

driving to the store.

chaoscougar1

If he lived somewhere like I do there are at least 5 gamestops in the area with more in neighboring towns. You could alternate between them.

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

it wouldnt work they would def reconize you and stop you after the second or third time they arent dumb and the info for the sale is saved in their computers so they will def notice.

Silverpeel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Silverpeel
[QUOTE="Silverpeel"][QUOTE="raahsnavj"]Wait, you are angry at them for lowballing trade-ins the the person has every right to say no to and walk back out? Then you yourselves give the finger to devs by not even buying OR renting a game? I think your real solution would be to not go to GS is you hate them so much. This 'GS loop hole' is really nothing more than a way to rip off the industry not GS.raahsnavj

I think the bold part is the difference of opinion. You see it as ripping off GS, I see it as not paying the developers, or renters (who have to buy the game and as such paying the developers) and pretending it is ok because GS was in the mix somehow. How is this different than pirating the game and then deleting the download after you get tired of it?

I see where you are coming from with ripping off the developers except that this policy applies to the used games which the developers don't see any part of. So doing this wouldn't do anything to the developers. If someone bought the used game and never returned it, it still wouldn't support them. I can also see your point about renters that pay the developers but gamestop doesn't pay the developers when they buy your trade in. So the money to and from the used games don't even support the developers that worked on it, because the company won't see any part of that. I also agree with your last point of pirating. It really is no different and I don't pirate, nor do I take advantage of this loophole at gamestop. I was pointing out that: holding everything else constant, and strictly talking used games to where developers won't see any money that if gamestop has these policies and people are willing to keep going to them for trade ins and let gamestop take advantage of them with their antics, then I would have no problem and would not feel guilty about using the loophole. I agree with you on many points, its just that you were adding in a few variables that I hadn't thought about in my fictional scenario.
upthebracket84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 upthebracket84
Member since 2009 • 166 Posts
nawwww you can just say you dont like it and on the receipt of the return it actually says "Reason: Did Not Like" yea this loop hole works fine but i dont know how many times you can do it i bought prince of persia, beat it, returned it, bought left 4 dead, played the shiit out of it, returned then bought lost odyssey, indigo prophecy, and dead to rights, so it definitley works i hope someone reads this cause this post is kinda old
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#46 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
You're pathetic for even considering something like that.