Forza 2 Steals BioShock's Seat as Xbox 360 GOTY Contender

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SPHYNXA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SPHYNXA
Member since 2003 • 2944 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/best-of/platformawards/index.html?page=5

I can honestly say that I never expected BioShock to not be included as an Xbox 360 GoTY contender. I mean, it was GameSpot's "Most Promising" game of last year's E3, and it ended up being one of the highest-rated games of the 360. Now, obviously Forza 2 got a higher score, but I believe that Forza only improved the basic mechanics of it's predacessor, which was already a pretty sold game. Whereas BioShock was a much more innovative title, as well as an original IP.

Thoughts?

goallie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 goallie
Member since 2005 • 825 Posts
Forza is a great game, but for it to be on the GOTY instead of Bioshock is complete BS.
CassiusVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#3 CassiusVII
Member since 2006 • 1658 Posts
Yeah Bioshock should be up there...
deadFalling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deadFalling
Member since 2007 • 769 Posts
thats gay bioshock was awesome and very very original
darkestlight7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 darkestlight7
Member since 2006 • 42 Posts
W-T-F? Bioshock deserves GoTY, or at least a chance at it...
Dead_Prophecy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Dead_Prophecy
Member since 2005 • 7305 Posts
Forza 2 is nowhere near GOTY material. For shame.
Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#7 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

Whereas BioShock was a much more innovative title, as well as an original IP.SPHYNXA

It's considered by some to be a simplified system shock 2, their previous title. Of course, few people with an XBOX360 have ever played system shock.

halokillerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 halokillerz
Member since 2004 • 3406 Posts
maybe they felt that 3 shooters were enough
unbiasgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#9 unbiasgamer
Member since 2006 • 1260 Posts
forza 2 was good, but a racing sim beating out an original deep fps? wtf
SorasGhost009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 SorasGhost009
Member since 2007 • 1218 Posts
i hated forza 2
xfan-atic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11 xfan-atic
Member since 2003 • 1191 Posts
Forza is awsome, very realistic, and with a Microsoft Racing Wheel it is almost perfect. But Bioshiock is bioshock, period.
CooVee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CooVee
Member since 2005 • 2161 Posts
It seems BioShock is dominating many other categories. I am shocked it didn't make the GOTY nominees.
krisroe_213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 krisroe_213
Member since 2003 • 898 Posts
Everyone vote for COD4...sif u want halo 3 to win atleast COD was actually good
Sutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 Sutton
Member since 2003 • 1758 Posts
Forza 2 is awful. The graphics are only slightly better than the original Forza, the damage modeling is awful, as well as the physics. I loved BioShock, but in my opinion it doesn't deserve game of the year, either. In fact, I don't think any of the games that game out this year are GotY material. It's just too bad that GTA4 was delayed. (Personal note: Halo 3 is NOT a great game, etc, etc, ad nauseum.)
Craig_kenney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Craig_kenney
Member since 2006 • 34 Posts

Thats F'ing outrageous. I know I didnt even enjoy Forza 2. How does it get a spot on GOTY when Bioshock doesn't. So what if there would be "too many" FPS's on the list. If the only good games released during the year were FPS's it wouldn't make sense to take them off the list. If it's GOTY potential, and another game isn't, that games shouldn't be taken off just "to give other genres a chance. That's some politically correct BS.

Sutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 Sutton
Member since 2003 • 1758 Posts

I agree 110%.

atuline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 atuline
Member since 2003 • 212 Posts

I don't see the big deal. Halo 3 lovers outnumber all so nominated or not it's still going to lose.

P.S. saying Halo 3 lovers outnumber all doesn't mean its a good game if anyone is going to bring up the point that Halo 3 sucks. I don't mind it but I don't see it as the second coming myself.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5920bf77daa85

So you are saying we should have 4/5 games that are shooters in GOTY contender? It still doesn't have RPG like Mass Effect in there.magicalclick

Shooters are generally percieved - perhaps correctly - as more popular. If Gamespot were to have given the game of the year award last year to Galactic Civilizations II, they'd probably be bankrupt by now. Nominating so many shooters is all about pandering to the audience, or pandering to those reviewers who have very little experience in gaming outside the shooter genre.

a55a55inx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#20 a55a55inx
Member since 2004 • 4188 Posts
I like Forza 2, but I wouldn't rate it as high as the other great titles of the year.
SPHYNXA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SPHYNXA
Member since 2003 • 2944 Posts

So you are saying we should have 4/5 games that are shooters in GOTY contender? It still doesn't have RPG like Mass Effect in there.magicalclick

So you are saying that if a console has 5 terrific games that all belong to the same genre, that go above-and-beyond all-other releases across seperate genres, that only a couple of those 5 games should be chosen? Just because they're of the same genre?

The point of "Game of the Year" awards (whether it spans all platforms, or a specific platform) are to select the best game released on that platform across all genres, not the best game from each individual genre. That's the point. If action-adventure games can't continue to evolve and innovate at the rate of FPS's, then that shouldn't come at a cost to FPS developers who benefit from receiving these awards.

wreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 wreak
Member since 2005 • 4645 Posts

thats gay bioshock was awesome and very very originaldeadFalling

bioshock is an awesome game and one of my all time favs and totaly does deserve to be up there, but calling it original is like tying stretch armstrong to 2 dump druks driving in opposite directions.

Food_Nipple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Food_Nipple
Member since 2003 • 8379 Posts

I really don't care. Either CoD4 or Halo 3 will win no matter what's against it. I will admit though, I spent way more time with Forza than I ever did with Bioshock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5920bf77daa85

[QUOTE="magicalclick"]So you are saying we should have 4/5 games that are shooters in GOTY contender? It still doesn't have RPG like Mass Effect in there.SPHYNXA

So you are saying that if a console has 5 terrific games that all belong to the same genre, that go above-and-beyond all-other releases across seperate genres, that only a couple of those 5 games should be chosen? Just because they're of the same genre?

The point of "Game of the Year" awards (whether it spans all platforms, or a specific platform) are to select the best game released on that platform across all genres, not the best game from each individual genre. That's the point. If action-adventure games can't continue to evolve and innovate at the rate of FPS's, then that shouldn't come at a cost to FPS developers who benefit from receiving these awards.

I think his point was that it's a pretty damn amazing coincidence that the "best-selling" genre in the United States - and Gamespot's likely audience- is also the one picking up the majority of the GOTY awards.

The idea that shooters have somehow "evolved" is incredibly naive. The only evolution they experienced was going from a keyboard control to a kb+mouse control for PC and going to the gamepad for consoles. Simply because you chose to give shooters credit for every change is meaningless.

Again, what would happen if Galactic Civilizations II won game of the year last year?

EnderSR388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 EnderSR388
Member since 2004 • 6552 Posts
Why are the two even being compared? I think they should win GOTY in the their respective genres.
callen3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 callen3
Member since 2005 • 1289 Posts
Look at ps3's best games. They are missing Uncharted and Heavenly Sword. I think Rock band paid good money to get a spot on that list.
callen3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 callen3
Member since 2005 • 1289 Posts
Look at ps3's best games. They are missing Uncharted and Heavenly Sword. I think Rock band paid good money to get a spot on that list.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5920bf77daa85

I really don't care. Either CoD4 or Halo 3 will win no matter what's against it. I will admit though, I spent way more time with Forza than I ever did with BioshockFood_Nipple

That's probably true for most people. Bioshock got a surprisingly high score despite the fact that there's so little content - then again, reviews aren't made months after unless I'm the one reviewing it! :p

mmackura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 mmackura
Member since 2007 • 237 Posts

Forza 2 is awful. The graphics are only slightly better than the original Forza, the damage modeling is awful, as well as the physics. I loved BioShock, but in my opinion it doesn't deserve game of the year, either. In fact, I don't think any of the games that game out this year are GotY material. It's just too bad that GTA4 was delayed. (Personal note: Halo 3 is NOT a great game, etc, etc, ad nauseum.)Sutton

do you like ANY games?

mattg90520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mattg90520
Member since 2006 • 3115 Posts
thats upsetting. bioshock is ten times goty than forza 2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Why are the two even being compared? I think they should win GOTY in the their respective genres.EnderSR388

The two shouldn't ever really be compared. It's hard enough to compare games of the same genre that have different strengths and weaknesses. However, again, it's all about keeping subscribers. Turning subjective experiences into an objective competition is a long-established route to "success"

1vgfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32 1vgfan
Member since 2004 • 1338 Posts
Wow...Bioshock is in my opinion the greatest game ever, how could they do this?
destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#33 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

Haha! I laugh at this! Hard!

Wow, Gamespot....just wow.

They love screwing themselves over.

perry933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34 perry933
Member since 2007 • 621 Posts
While I own both and luv them both, there is no way Forza 2 was better than BioShock!
carpon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 carpon
Member since 2004 • 1454 Posts

Now, while I don't agree with Forza's nomination (Mass Effect should be there, I consider it easily the best 360 gamereleased so far, not to mention this year), I'm glad that Bioshock willnot begame of the year. I liked Bioshock, but to me its not even a remote contender for GOTY (Rock Band, COD4, Mass Effect, Mario Galaxy, Orange Boxall much better). I'm also perplexed to some of the other awards its winning. Best story? 3/4 of the game the story amounts to "go kill andrew ryan" and then changes after a somewhat strange twist to go kill _______ (not gonna spoil it). Sure there is a lot of background, and the characters are great, but even these areas don't begin to rival Mass Effect's universe.

Bioshock was a good game, but really amounted to a good shooter with magic (i know its nottermed magic, but thats what it is)and an interesting, if not overly good story. Yes it is much better than Halo for example, but nothing particularly amazing. I just think there are games that deserve the award long before it, and I'm glad to see them getting recognition.