"For Honor" runs on dedicated servers now, significantly improved since launch

#1 Posted by Alucard_Prime (10091 posts) -

This is old news somewhat, but I just learned of it earlier and figured I would make a quick fyi post for fans who might be in a similar situation as me. I already own this Medieval action game since launch and thought it was great. Unfortunately, for various reasons I only played it for a few weeks and then got sidetracked with other games.... also I remember at some points experiencing network issues.

The game now apparently runs on dedicated servers, which is extremely cool to see this kind of support....I can barely remember a single time that a dev decided to change the entire online infrastructure of its game from P2P and upgrade it with dedicated servers long after launch. There are numerous other changes as well, you can check out the re-review of EuroGamer if you want, and as a bonus the game looks absolutely stunning on the X. Definitely going to try to get back into it soon, so many games to choose from these days it's nuts

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-04-30-for-honor-re-review

quoted " For Honor remains one of my favourite games of 2017, warts and all. I've been sad to see it fade from view, as dodgy networking and pushy monetisation have driven off players enticed by the thought of a truly technical fighting game that dresses like a third-person shooter. It's fantastic, then, that Ubisoft has decided to stick with it. The addition of dedicated servers was more than I was expecting this long after launch, and the new tutorial elements are obviously evidence of a belief that the game's community has plenty of room to grow. If you've been holding off, circling the fray with your shield up, there's never been a better time to get up close and personal."

#2 Edited by with_teeth26 (9479 posts) -

is the fighting system still a glorified QTE sequence?

#3 Posted by Alucard_Prime (10091 posts) -

@with_teeth26: I thought the combat mechanics were great, not too complex but had enough depth to them. The game is treated almost like a fighting game, and from what I read they definitely made a lot of balance updates to characters but I do not know if they made big changes to the system overall:

quoted "Finding the balance of power between characters has been something of a journey for Ubisoft, perhaps a longer journey than is healthy for a fighting game. The springy, spear-wielding Valkyrie, an early favourite of mine, has oscillated from wet blanket to wrecking ball and back again in the course of several updates. The assassin Peacekeeper still needs the attention of the nerfgun, wriggling out from under combos that would decimate other heroes and seldom letting you wriggle away from her in turn."

#4 Posted by with_teeth26 (9479 posts) -

I guess my issue is that the game had this amazing engine and great animations, but all the most important information when fighting is on the User Interface so you just end up staring at the white indicators while playing.

but, i'm not into fighting games. I was hoping more for something like Chivalry Medieval Warfare out of For Honor.

its not a bad game but it was pretty disappointing to me, though I won't begrudge anyone for liking it for what it is

#5 Posted by Todddow (907 posts) -

That game was the straw that broke the camel's back for me and online multiplayer games. I was close to writing them off, and the P2P system and cheaters in that game with the rubber bands on the controllers finally pushed me over the edge. The game would be cool converted to a single player open world RPG.

#6 Posted by Alucard_Prime (10091 posts) -

@todddow: If I remember correctly the game does have a campaign mode...not sure how elaborate the story is, or if it is any good.....you can play solo or co-op I believe.

@with_teeth26:ah I see what you mean....that's cool I mean it is definitely not for everyone, a unique kind of game for sure. I'm a big fan of medieval type movies/tv shows....stuff like Braveheart and Game of Thrones....love that stuff....games too obviously. What I liked about For Honor was it replicated well the overall feeling of being in one of those movies.....I know it sounds silly, but that is the quickest way I can describe it.

#7 Posted by with_teeth26 (9479 posts) -
@Alucard_Prime said:

@with_teeth26:ah I see what you mean....that's cool I mean it is definitely not for everyone, a unique kind of game for sure. I'm a big fan of medieval type movies/tv shows....stuff like Braveheart and Game of Thrones....love that stuff....games too obviously. What I liked about For Honor was it replicated well the overall feeling of being in one of those movies.....I know it sounds silly, but that is the quickest way I can describe it.

have you played Kingdom Come Deliverance?

its fighting system reminded me a bit of For Honor but felt a bit more natural to me (plus it sounds like it'd fit with what you are into based on your description here)

#8 Posted by Alucard_Prime (10091 posts) -

@with_teeth26: yeah I got that game too, love it overall.....not done with it yet

#9 Edited by Blueresident87 (5817 posts) -

I spent a significant amount of time playing this game, enough to know what I think of it. The game itself (mechanics, animation, gameplay, etc) is great, one of the better fighting systems ever implemented. The system is somewhat of a glorified QTE, as some have said, but people who only stare at the white indicators on the screen can be taken advantage of easily with feints an misdirection. The play styles between the characters is very diverse and they all take time to truly master. The game looks amazing. The decision to use P2P in the beginning likely held it back too much to fully recover from, but it does seem to have a dedicated fan base.

However, I don't expect I will ever play it again for one reason: the community. Far too many people who rage-quit when they're losing and send unnecessary messages to their opponents. I swear, it felt like I was surrounded by 12 year old kids at times. I may have been, but that doesn't change the fact.

#10 Posted by Alucard_Prime (10091 posts) -

@Blueresident87: Cool thanks for the feedback....Not surprised to hear that, rage quitters are even more common in Fighting-style games in my experiences. I'm one of those people who never quits basically, it's not to brag but that is how I get my enjoyment out of those games. Risk/reward...you practice and eventually get better....and when you do win against a tough opponent, it feels great...obviously the game design needs to be good, and lag minimal....I get annoyed when I lose because of lag, but I still never quit.

#11 Posted by Blueresident87 (5817 posts) -

@Alucard_Prime: And I am no stranger to rage-quitters, I've played enough online games to where most of the time it doesn't bother me. But I spent most of my time in For Honor playing duels and brawls, so a rage quit immediately ruins the experience. When it happens three matches in a row, I just turn the game off. It wasn't the rage quitting so much as the frequency with which it seems to happen in this game.

#12 Edited by Alucard_Prime (10091 posts) -

@Blueresident87: Wow yeah makes sense, at least you didn't become a rage quitter yourself(that's what I meant earlier about quitting, I meant I never rage quit)!