Fallout 3 Vs Fallout : New Vegas

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SpArKs424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 SpArKs424
Member since 2010 • 2203 Posts

Which is better and why ?

I Prefer fallout 3 just cause i have yet to play New vegas but would like some insight as i look at reviews and watch gameplay looks like more fallout which is a great thing but looking at alot of reviews im kind of like This game is Better than the 7s ive seen . so which do you like ?

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#2 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts
I loved FO3, but New Vegas gets my vote. The loads of new weapons, mods, factions, major cities, etc make it better IMO.
boostud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 boostud
Member since 2004 • 1242 Posts

The quests haven't been as interesting IMO in New Vegas. I'm about 7 hours into it and nothing has really pulled me in like Fallout 3 did. Seems a little unbalanced too. I was able to blow through all the quests with ease, and then all of a sudden they got really difficult, well beyond my characters level 8 capabilities.

Smile-Factory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 Smile-Factory
Member since 2009 • 82 Posts

New Vegas of course.

Its like Fallout 3 but more things to do and it just looks better in the mojave

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#5 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

New Vegas of course.

Its like Fallout 3 but more things to do and it just looks better in the mojave

Smile-Factory
Agreed, having some vegetation and colors in the game makes it more immersive for me. I really got tired of seeing just gray everywhere in FO3.
Kurezan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Kurezan
Member since 2008 • 1850 Posts

I prefer Fallout 3s storyline, characters and overall level up mechanics. I like New Vegas's new features and factions. And the fact your choices actually matter.

greengreenbean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 greengreenbean
Member since 2010 • 267 Posts

I prefer Fallout 3 better story and quests. I like the stark gloomyness of Fallout 3. I like collecting the bobbleheads. There seems to be more combat in Fallout 3 making a better blend of talking to characters and combat. 90% of the time I have spentplaying New Vegas has been in towns talking to characters. In Fallout 3 how you need to battle through the subway to get to certain locations. Alot of New vegas is just quick quests in towns or between towns.

SilentSoprano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 SilentSoprano
Member since 2007 • 4446 Posts

I haven't finished New Vegas as of yet (I am at the part where I have to visit the Boomers and get them to side with Mr. House or NCR) but so far I would have to give the edge to Fallout 3. It just felt more "epic" and didn't feel as if I was running errands like it does sometimes in New Vegas. Don't get me wrong; New Vegas has some awesome quests itself and feels so much larger than FO3, and the whole factions/gambling addition is a unique aspect. The thing is, other than those things, I think Fallout 3 surpasses it in other areas. It seems like most of New Vegas is the same bland looking Mojave Desert (The Strip was interesting at first, but there isn't much to it) and a lot of the cities looks similar (Freeside and Westside). I noticed a lot more glitches and such in New Vegas compared to FO3, but none of them have been gamebreaking. I think the main thing is that Fallout 3 felt "fresh and new" and had an interesting world with cool stories and characters, while New Vegas feels more like an expansion. That being said, New Vegas is a good game and I had much fun with it so far. Anyone know how close I am to the end? (I put where I am at the beginning of this post)

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
both games are amazing
GFugue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GFugue
Member since 2009 • 935 Posts

Fallout 3 for technical superiority.

F0urTwenty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 F0urTwenty
Member since 2010 • 1842 Posts

I prefer Fallout 3 better story and quests. I like the stark gloomyness of Fallout 3. I like collecting the bobbleheads. There seems to be more combat in Fallout 3 making a better blend of talking to characters and combat. 90% of the time I have spentplaying New Vegas has been in towns talking to characters. In Fallout 3 how you need to battle through the subway to get to certain locations. Alot of New vegas is just quick quests in towns or between towns.

greengreenbean
There aren't any bobbleheads in FNV!!?? I am so glad that i spent my money on getting FO3 GOTY instead of FNV ... i am level 17 right now and i haven't even been inside the jefferson memorial yet.. I'm too busy collecting bobbleheads(i have 11 right now),doing side quests, obtaining all the unique gun variants, collecting skill books to even begin to start Scientific Pursuits(main story quest).. If FNV doesn't have these extra tidbits then i can say for sure FO3 is better without playing FNV
NewShire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NewShire
Member since 2008 • 1330 Posts

I enjoyed playing Fallout 3 more than New Vegas. But I'd say that if it weren't for the bugs, New Vegas would easily be the better game. Although I probably would still have enjoyed playing Fallout 3 more if it weren't for the bugs in New Vegas, because Fallout 3 was mind blowing when I first played it, and New Vegas was more of the same... but improved IMO.

My advise to anyone who hasn't played either game would be to wait for multiple patches to be released for New Vegas and play that one.

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#13 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

Fallout 3 Vs. Fallout New Vegas

I was planning to write a blog about this but seeing this topic made me post some of my initial thoughts.

Fallout 3 has an epic feel to the main quest and its ending, Fallout New Vegas is more flexible and even though the main quests is not as epic as F3s, it is very engaging and interesting.(Dealing with Factions and comparing which one brings what to the table)

Exploration and places/buildings/caves/metro tunnels are larger, hence takes longer to explore in Fallout 3. Now, i have finished FNV 4 times now and have completed the game on a 100 % (with the help of the strategy guide for about 10 % of the game, mainly unregistered quests and places) FNV's places to explore are smaller in size. FACT.

Fallout 3 has less glitches (though i have to admit i played the Game of the Year edition, so dont know how the initial version was). As i said earlier, having finished FNV 4 times now, i am yet to encounter a game breaking glitch. Knock on wood.

Fallout 3 has less places to explore

Fallout 3 has less registered and unregistered quests

Fallout 3 makes it easy to become an "all-around super role player", meaning it is easy to get 10s in SPECIAL and 100s in all of your SKILLS. This defeats the purpose of planning how you should be playing the game. New Vegas has better role play, it involves more strategic thoughts as to what skills are most needed and when. For example, playing Fallout New Vegas as stealthy rogue or as a brute super soldier makes the experience completely different. In Fallout 3, it does not really matter, because if you are a completionist like me by the time are done with the game you have 10s in Special and 100s in every skill. It is harder to achieve this in New Vegas.

Fallout New Vegas is the better role-playing game as a role playing game should be. Weapon mods, weapons stats (DPS vs DAM) etc... make this game a pure genious in the genre. Having the ability to build and break bullets apart, build weapons, create items, cook soup and grill steaks (Yes you can and i love it) just makes FNV so much more fun than F3.

Companions in New Vegas are more interesting, having one (or more) missions tied to themselves.Additional perks given by different companions are very beneficial also.

Fallout New Vegas has the Fallout look, feel and atmosphere as a series. Fallout 3 should have been the expansion. (This should be more understandable by people who have played F1 and F2)

Bottom line is Fallout has grown to be my favorite series of all times. I am addicted to this game and to be honest i will keep replaying New Vegas and Fallout 3 over and over again. But if i have to pick which one edges it for me, it would have to be New Vegas.

War never changes...

chasingmaynard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 chasingmaynard
Member since 2005 • 3416 Posts

Fallout New Vegas has the Fallout look, feel and atmosphere as a series. Fallout 3 should have been the expansion. (This should be more understandable by people who have played F1 and F2)EvilSelf

I agreed with your post 100% except for this statement above. I think that if New Vegas would have came out in place ofFallout 3 and labeled Fallout 3, a LOT more of the original fans would have come to accept it as a legit piece of the franchise. It has the same look and atmosphere as the first two games, with great writing, RPG elements, and style (sans bugs), and the transition to first person would have been a lot more acceptable.

What they should have done after that is release Fallout 4 (what we know as Fallout 3), with the whole new setting, atmosphere,and story, like most game franchises do to try and stay away from the cookie cutter accusations. (well.. they should do) BUT... in my alternate future, the "Fallout 4" version of Fallout 3 would also have been developed by Obisidian as well, because they are awesome with writing and some story lines.

Okay, so I didn't really disagree with you, but I wouldn't have referred to Fallout 3 as being the expansion, or New Vegas for that matter. The "expansion" term has been beaten to death in regards to New Vegas, and it just irks me when people use the word (even if you didn't mean it in a negative way that so many others do).

And to answer the thread, right now I prefer Fallout 3. The atmosphere is pure desolation in a city of destruction, not "alone in the desert".

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#15 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

[QUOTE="EvilSelf"]Fallout New Vegas has the Fallout look, feel and atmosphere as a series. Fallout 3 should have been the expansion. (This should be more understandable by people who have played F1 and F2)chasingmaynard

I agreed with your post 100% except for this statement above. I think that if New Vegas would have came out in place ofFallout 3 and labeled Fallout 3, a LOT more of the original fans would have come to accept it as a legit piece of the franchise. It has the same look and atmosphere as the first two games, with great writing, RPG elements, and style (sans bugs), and the transition to first person would have been a lot more acceptable.

What they should have done after that is release Fallout 4 (what we know as Fallout 3), with the whole new setting, atmosphere,and story, like most game franchises do to try and stay away from the cookie cutter accusations. (well.. they should do) BUT... in my alternate future, the "Fallout 4" version of Fallout 3 would also have been developed by Obisidian as well, because they are awesome with writing and some story lines.

Okay, so I didn't really disagree with you, but I wouldn't have referred to Fallout 3 as being the expansion, or New Vegas for that matter. The "expansion" term has been beaten to death in regards to New Vegas, and it just irks me when people use the word (even if you didn't mean it in a negative way that so many others do).

And to answer the thread, right now I prefer Fallout 3. The atmosphere is pure desolation in a city of destruction, not "alone in the desert".

Maybe i should have rephrase my statement. Fallout New Vegas should have been Fallout 3. Fallout 3 should have been the spin-off (not the "expansion" as i expressed myself earlier)...New Vegas is a better role-playing game, which adheres to Fallout 1 and Fallout 2's standards (for example, perk every other level and so on)...

The atmosphere in F3 is what had to be - destructed, desolate place. The atmosphere in New Vegas (where bombs never fell) is what needs to be -a small piece of land where you can feel and see the departing nuclear era...So both games have their place according to me...

chasingmaynard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 chasingmaynard
Member since 2005 • 3416 Posts

I think the flow of the franchise would have been a lot better in that progression. A third in the series that evolved the game into third person, with the great RPG aspects that New Vegas has, yet still leaving the player wondering what the destroyed parts of the world looked like.

Then release "Fallout 4" (3)... and when the player emerges from the Vault... awesome.

Not that coming out of the vault wasn't awesome enough anyways... lol.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

Storywise: Fallout New Vegas
Setting: Fallout New Vegas
Until I hav a problem where my Fallout New Vegas game freeze each time I enter one location then Fallout New Vegas get it for being a better running game.