Fable III save game corrupted! Any chance of recovery before I go ballistic?!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Comic_Capers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Comic_Capers
Member since 2008 • 1701 Posts

Last night I accidentally removed the game's disc from my console while it was saving (I was in a hurry and thought it had finished)and as a result it appears that my save game is now corrupted and the game makes me start again every time I load it up.

I kept on meaning to back up my saves onto a flash drive, but have never got round to it, and now I am ruing my stupidity (the exact same thing happened to by Burnout Paradise file a few years ago). It doesn't help though that this game won't let you make multiple saves in one playthrough- as a result 5 months of toiling through the game trying to make all the good decisions AND save all of Albion has now gone.

Is there ANY way of recovering my save file (the file is still there on my hard drive) or am I going to have to face the music and start all over again?

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

Once it goes corrupt you're SOL.

Comic_Capers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Comic_Capers

Once it goes corrupt you're SOL.

Legendaryscmt
What does SOL stand for?
YoBrandino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#4 YoBrandino
Member since 2003 • 1546 Posts
SOL = "Sadly" Out of Luck And your save file it there, but that data it hold is now currupted and unreadable. I know it sucks. I had a Gamecube 3rd party memory card go currupt on me once and lost a lot of save files. Some were backed up on another card, but a bunch weren't and it certaily sucked.
Comic_Capers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Comic_Capers

*Sigh* that's what I feared :'( It's not just losing my story progress I'm annoyed about, but the fact I have lost everything, including my almost upgraded weapons, my real estate, my Demon Door progress, my families, I only had 4 more gnomes to find an 10 more silver keys to collect etc. And to make matters worse I haven't touched BP since I lost my file because I did not want to spend10 hours+ trying to rebuild what I had already done (and I have had too much work over the last couple of years sincestarting University). What I have just gone and lost is 28 hours+ worth of gaming time! I don't know if I will ever get to complete this game now.

My only consolation I guess is that I can try and get the Barrel O' Laughs and the You Can't Bring Me Down achievements. but I feel that is no way enough to motivate me start all over again.

Lesson: buy a cheapmemory stick and back up my saves (would 8GB be too much?)

BFKZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 BFKZ
Member since 2004 • 1728 Posts
imagine i made a backup of my profile, and wanted to restore it later, so i had to delete the one on the xbox...i pressed "delete profile and items" by mistake....my life flashed before my eyes as FF-XIII 140hours of gameplay, ninja gaiden 2 where i jst finished mentor difficulty :'(, and many more were all deleted....it sucks, i know :(
jamejame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 jamejame
Member since 2005 • 10634 Posts

You had 5 months on one playthrough in Fable 3? Jesus.

Comic_Capers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Comic_Capers

You had 5 months on one playthrough in Fable 3? Jesus.

jamejame

As I said, I've had a lot of work (I'm in my second year of Uni) and I have been trying to complete everything being good.

DumbPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DumbPanda
Member since 2011 • 379 Posts
Ouch. I feel for ya dude. Nothing you can do I'm afraid, but you must blame yourself here. On EVERY single game ever made, when you are saving it, it says in big bold letters NOT to switch the console or take the disc out while it is saving. o_O
Comic_Capers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Comic_Capers

Well it's nice to get some consolation, I feel a lot better now.

DumbPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DumbPanda

Comic_Capers
Sorry about what I said, but it was true. And you sound like you're just feeling sorry for yourself now.
Dawq902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 Dawq902
Member since 2007 • 6796 Posts

Corrupt=gone forever. I know it sucks but you ahve to move on. I gave on on some PS2 games back in the day when all my data went corrupt.

Comic_Capers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Comic_Capers

[QUOTE="Comic_Capers"]

DumbPanda

Sorry about what I said, but it was true. And you sound like you're just feeling sorry for yourself now.

It wasn't sarcasm, I was responding to all the replies ;)

Anyway, to prevent this from happening again, what is the best way to back up games with only one save at a time that is continually overridden (such as Fable III and Burnout Paradise)?

jekyll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 145

#14 jekyll
Member since 2002 • 9140 Posts

This is exactly why I completely deplore this new trend of auto-saving only with no way to flip between two or three save files for disaster recovery. Back in the PS2 days I lost 2½ hours of work in a Disgaea 'item dungeon' (where there's no way to save) because a car hita tree and that fell over electric lines and knocked out power during my save. I was well over 50 hours in at that point, and if I didn't have a back-up save that would've been it.

Comic_Capers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Comic_Capers

This is exactly why I completely deplore this new trend of auto-saving only with no way to flip between two or three save files for disaster recovery. Back in the PS2 days I lost 2½ hours of work in a Disgaea 'item dungeon' (where there's no way to save) because a car hita tree and that fell over electric lines and knocked out power during my save. I was well over 50 hours in at that point, and if I didn't have a back-up save that would've been it.

jekyll
Crickey, that was very unlucky! And yes I agree with you totally. I'm thankful that plenty of other games don't use this system otherwise I could esily be having this problem over and over again!
Darksonic666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#16 Darksonic666
Member since 2009 • 3482 Posts

Something similar happend to me I was playing with my friend over xbox live and when i was in his game all my stuff was gone so I when't back into my own game and I lost everything i had. Never had a corrupt save though and sadly you are out of luck.

DumbPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DumbPanda

[QUOTE="DumbPanda"][QUOTE="Comic_Capers"]

Comic_Capers

It wasn't sarcasm, I was responding to all the replies ;)

Anyway, to prevent this from happening again, what is the best way to back up games with only one save at a time that is continually overridden (such as Fable III and Burnout Paradise)?

Ohhhhh. I bet I look really stupid now -__- Sowwy.