Extraordinary XBOX 360 games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

anselmoso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 anselmoso
Member since 2008 • 29 Posts

Hi,

do you guys know some "extraordinary" XBOX 360 games?
I'm looking for games which stand out of the big "just conserve the same idea again with more realistic graphics" mass of games. Something like "Psychonauts" for XBOX, "A rockstar ate my hamster" for Amiga and also "Dead Rising" for XBOX 360.

Thanks for your input guys.

daboytroy1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 daboytroy1000
Member since 2006 • 124 Posts
Gears of war... lol thats the only game that comes up in my head
Strife88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 Strife88
Member since 2005 • 6073 Posts
GTA IV
The Orange Box
Bioshock
Mass Effect
Call of Duty 4
sonic0491

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 sonic0491
Member since 2006 • 2508 Posts

Gears of war... lol thats the only game that comes up in my headdaboytroy1000

there is something wrong with you...

msdd9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#5 msdd9
Member since 2007 • 2957 Posts

Mass Effect
Oblivion
Portal (part of the Orange Box)
Bioshock
Condemned

Those are just some of the original games that come to mind.

Sadly there isn't really anything that compares to Psychonauts.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#6 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

Can't really think of any games. Halo 3 is my fav, but it doesnt wonder to far from it's roots and lets face it, now a day if you say anything nice about Halo your burned on the stake for no reason.

I'd say Gears of War, but really it's nothing new or different if you've played Resident Evil 4 and Halo.

Alot of people might say Call of Duty 4, but those are the fools who never played Call of Duty, or Call of Duty: United Offence, or Call of Duty 2, and deffinatly didnt play them on the PC.

So yeah... Really theres nothing new, but theres some fantastic games that just improve on what we already have.

sonic0491

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 sonic0491
Member since 2006 • 2508 Posts

GTA IV
The Orange Box
Bioshock
Mass Effect
Call of Duty 4
Strife88

i agree with you all except for:

gears of war, mass effect, oblivion and dead rising.

the others i would consider ARE extrodinary because of these reasons:

gta 4- made the most realistic and fun real to life environment yet.

orange box- combined the best of valves games into one (which are all extrodinary)

bioshock- just an amazing story and game altogether.

call of duty 4- making the most fun and exciting warfare battlegrounds and gameplay.

condemned- the first game to truly integrate a full on melee system and be scary at the same time.

sargentbotk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 sargentbotk
Member since 2007 • 4224 Posts

For GTAIV...don't let the 10 fool you.

anselmoso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 anselmoso

Hey guys, thanks for your answers so far. But it seems that you misunderstood me, with "extraordinary" I meant "uncommon games", games with extraordinary ideas and gameplay, games that "diverge from the norm".

Most of the games you guys mentioned were just big hits on the console but no "special games" with extraordinary ideas.

What I meant were games like "Psychonauts" on XBOX or some of the good old Amiga and C64 games when we had much more variety in games than nowadays.

I mean Gears of War and GTA and Bioshock are great games, but that's not what I'm looking for.

For example: I played Call of Duty 4 the last days and thought "yeah, it looks nice, but basically it's just the same game it was in Call of Duty 1, 2 and 3. Just the same idea packed in new clothing". And what I'm looking for are "new ideas", "diversity", maybe even some humor, something "apart from the norm".....:)

Fr3DmE15t3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Fr3DmE15t3R
Member since 2008 • 142 Posts

Hey guys, thanks for your answers so far. But it seems that you misunderstood me, with "extraordinary" I meant "uncommon games", games with extraordinary ideas and gameplay, games that "diverge from the norm".

Most of the games you guys mentioned were just big hits on the console but no "special games" with extraordinary ideas.

What I meant were games like "Psychonauts" on XBOX or some of the good old Amiga and C64 games when we had much more variety in games than nowadays.

I mean Gears of War and GTA and Bioshock are great games, but that's not what I'm looking for.

For example: I played Call of Duty 4 the last days and thought "yeah, it looks nice, but basically it's just the same game it was in Call of Duty 1, 2 and 3. Just the same idea packed in new clothing". And what I'm looking for are "new ideas", "diversity", maybe even some humor, something "apart from the norm".....:)

anselmoso

I cant believe Battle Field:Bad Company isnt up there

Theres humor init unlike every other war game which is dead serious, the gameplays great and you can react to almost everything, basically everything is destructable and it just stands out from the 'norm' for me.

I cant name another game that can square up to it in its catogery (FPS)

linklb4130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 linklb4130
Member since 2003 • 1737 Posts
Portal is a good choice. It really makes you think.
ConGam3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ConGam3r
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
cod4 gta4 condemned 1&2 and orange box all great games
NosajWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 NosajWorld
Member since 2007 • 90 Posts

Well, I like how you described what you want as, "Extraordinary Games", as that made me think about it a little more. I'll list my top 3.

1st: Oblivion, simply addicting, great RPG, and "Extraodinary" in everyway. If you don't have this game, GET IT!

2nd: Call of Duty 4, this is one of the best FPS ever. The storyline is "Extraodinarily" good keeping your eyes attached to the screen. But once you hit the multiplayer, wow, I won't say anything about it, but it is AWESOME - Read my review for it. :)

3rd: GTA4: Wow, no seriously, wow! This game is awesome! You have an almost to-good storyline thats really fun to play, and I would reccomend you do it first, as it will show you where everything is, and its just the better way to go, but then multiplayer! Check out my review as well, cause this game is "Extraodinary!"

Thats all, take them into consideration. :)

fraggerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 fraggerman
Member since 2007 • 124 Posts
I'd have to say Portal, it was a really extraordinary idea that was brilliantly executed, bravo Valve!
kfjl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 kfjl
Member since 2004 • 2469 Posts

Really other than Portal I'm not sure there are any games that match what you are looking for although even Portal's main niche had I think already more or less been done elsewhere. Maybe Viva Pinata, that one's kind of different. If you're looking for something almost completely unique and fresh like Psychonauts though, I don't know if there's one out there at the moment.

DeadlyZodiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DeadlyZodiac
Member since 2007 • 1367 Posts

I'm going to have to agree with everyone that said Portal. Most other games this gen aren't very original, or at least to the extent where they really stand out.

I think I'll add Bioshock as well, even though some people complained about it. I think they were mostly System Shock 2 fans, which I never played.

Edit: Nevermind about Bioshock I just noticed your later post. The only game that you would be looking for is Portal I guess. Most other types of creativity aren't popular enough to the mainstream for companies to want to risk in this day in age, hence the plethora of games like shooters, etc.

anselmoso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 anselmoso

Battle Field: Bad Company is OK, but for me it's still "a normal First Person Shooter", only packed with a bit of humor, but basically the same as COD4 to me. I'm also not that much into First Person Shooters.

GTA is a great game, but also nothing new, especially if you played previous installations of it. The Orange Box (besides Portal) surely contains some great FPS, but unfortunately I'm not that of a FPS guy...

And Portal is only available on the Orange Box, right?

Oblivion could be interesting, I'll have a look at it.

Psychonauts is something I'll definitely check out.

Maybe there are some XBOX1 games you could suggest? I mean, there are a lot of games on the XBOX compatibility list from Microsoft:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm

What I found the last days was "Mr. Moskeeto" on PS2 - now that's an extraordinary game :D Unfortunately not available on XBOX.