EA Trying A New Subscription Scheme

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by kuu2 (10422 posts) -

Just Say No To Drugs

Electronic Arts has announced plans to launch EA Access, a subscription-based service exclusively for owners of Microsoft's Xbox One console that will give gamers a way to play a number of games for as much as they want for $4.99 a month or $29.99 a year, along with other benefits.

EA Access is currently in a limited beta but the publisher says it will be made available to all Xbox One owners soon. The subscription will let the beta testers play four EA games (FIFA 14, Madden NFL 25, Peggle 2 and Battlefield 4) for as much as they want under the subscription fee. EA says the four games would normally cost over $100 to purchase and play in their stand alone retail versions. More titles will be added to that catalog in the future. It stands to reason that if the subscription ends, so does the access to all of those games, much like a Netflix membership.

People who still want to download and purchase those stand alone games can also benefit from EA Access as the subscription price will offer them 10 percent off all downloadable Xbox One EA games. Finally, free trial versions of upcoming EA games will be made available to subscription members five days before the rest of the Xbox One owners.

He'll to the no!

#2 Edited by Shewgenja (19515 posts) -

I honestly wonder if one day, the whole industry will just be every publisher asking for subscription fees in the wee hopes they decide to make new games we want to play. *shudders*

Seriously, were things so bad when we bought game discs and took them home to play them? The industry is bigger than Hollywood. Yet, still, they persist on squeezing more money out of the gamer.

#3 Posted by MonsieurX (37216 posts) -

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/ea-access-subscription-service-announced-for-xbox--31466535/#43

#4 Posted by Animal-Mother (27353 posts) -

Common KU

#5 Edited by kuu2 (10422 posts) -

@Animal-Mother said:

Common KU

Yeah I know........

I thought I refreshed my browser from last night.

#6 Posted by shawn30 (4409 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

I honestly wonder if one day, the whole industry will just be every publisher asking for subscription fees in the wee hopes they decide to make new games we want to play. *shudders*

If the price is right, people will flock to this model as they did Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime. If I have full and unlimited access to a ton of games even if they are in the 6 months to a year old, and early access to new games and a added discount for $30 bucks a year bring it the **** on! Its hit the right price already. Juts gotta deliver the games and features. Kudos to EA and MS. No doubt Sony will partner with someone and do the same. $30 bucks a year is fantastic.

#7 Posted by spike6958 (6691 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

@Shewgenja said:

If the price is right, people will flock to this model as they did Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime. If I have full and unlimited access to a ton of games even if they are in the 6 months to a year old, and early access to new games and a added discount for $30 bucks a year bring it the **** on! Its hit the right price already. Juts gotta deliver the games and features. Kudos to EA and MS. No doubt Sony will partner with someone and do the same. $30 bucks a year is fantastic.

Agreed. Personally I'm gonna hold off at first, let others try it, because I don't play any of EA's sports titles and I'm worried that the service might just end up as a dumping ground for the titles they know won't sell anymore, but if instead we're given access to games like Dragon Age: Inquisition, Star Wars: Battlefront, and the like, then i'll eventually jump on this. Probably when Star Wars: Battlefront is releasing, get in on the promised early access.

#8 Edited by SolidTy (49991 posts) -

Dupe thread.

Yeah, I was already in the other thread and posted. I know this EA Sub was announced, but there is no source for this news in your OP, btw. There is a strange feminist article, but no EA sub source. It's strange I'm the first to notice that your link has no bearing at all with your OP. I guess no one else clicked on it.

The other EA Sub thread sourced IGN, but you have no source. I know you 100% support Microsoft everything including Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbone, Windows, Bing, and Windows phone so I'm guessing the source is Major Nelson or Windows Phone Central as your source.

---

Also, BEWARE!

EA can remove the games you subscribed too at any time according to their terms!!! That makes it worse that Games with Gold or PS+.

#9 Posted by Jaysonguy (39454 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

Dupe thread.

It's strange I'm the first to notice that your link has no bearing at all with your OP. I guess no one else clicked on it.

I noticed it and reported it, seems like a spammer

#10 Edited by xhawk27 (10349 posts) -

That seems too good to be true. If they add other newer games from last year to 6 months after release I think it would be a great deal.

#11 Edited by super600 (32423 posts) -

I changed my mind. Since you recognized that you made a mistake when creating this thread this thread will stay open. Just edit your OP so more people don't become confused TC.

#12 Edited by SolidTy (49991 posts) -

@super600 said:

I changed my mind. Since you recognized that you made a mistake when creating this thread this thread will stay open. Just edit your OP so more people don't become confused TC.

Click on the link in the OP, it's about feminism and nothing to do with Xbox.

#13 Edited by Mercuria1_King (278 posts) -

I do not know how I feel about a subscription service from EA.

#14 Posted by fgjnfgh (2650 posts) -

this will work for some and will not work for others. For me, I've always wanted something similar like this. I've purchased tons of games that I haven't completed. At least you pay $5 to try the game out and then you'd buy it if you like and think that it is enough to keep you engaged for months. I think this is a very bold strategy coming from EA. Main question is, are all EA games into affect of this program? Or is it going to be the ones that have low sales or 1 or 2 years old?

#15 Edited by super600 (32423 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

@super600 said:

This thread is starting to confuse me. I already know about that link. I will ask the TC to change his OP.

#16 Posted by kuu2 (10422 posts) -

@super600 said:

@SolidTy said:

@super600 said:

This thread is starting to confuse me. I already know about that link. I will ask the TC to change his OP.

Done.

#17 Posted by H0M3RC1D4L (26 posts) -

I'm not interested in the sports games, but if they offer up some other good titles that I'm interested in, I can see doing this. Hell, I already use Netflix and it's not like everything is worth watching on that app, but some of it is worth my time and that little bit makes it a worthwhile expenditure.

#18 Posted by MarcRecon (8119 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

Seriously, were things so bad when we bought game discs and took them home to play them? The industry is bigger than Hollywood. Yet, still, they persist on squeezing more money out of the gamer.

That's the nature of capitalism grasshopper

#19 Posted by Shewgenja (19515 posts) -

@MarcRecon said:

@Shewgenja said:

Yes, and it is a cyclically self-imploding one at that. Keynes, Bulls and Bears, or all that jazz. Current business theory is for crash dummies, imho. Sustaining long-term profitablity to avoid fluctuation is the much MUCH better route. You could say I'm an Austrian.

#20 Posted by MarcRecon (8119 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

@MarcRecon said:

@Shewgenja said:

Yes, and it is a cyclically self-imploding one at that. Keynes, Bulls and Bears, or all that jazz. Current business theory is for crash dummies, imho. Sustaining long-term profitablity to avoid fluctuation is the much MUCH better route. You could say I'm an Austrian.

No argument there bro and I concur!!! lol

#21 Posted by CrossFire245 (1082 posts) -

Is there any word yet on when this thing will launch for the public? I know it's in a beta now and I imagine it would have to launch at least 5 days before the Madden 15 release on August 26th in order for the "early access" they've been promoting.

#22 Posted by XboXeR-360 (53 posts) -

i think it's good

#23 Posted by CHAOSpectre (25 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

No doubt Sony will partner with someone and do the same. $30 bucks a year is fantastic.

Isn't Playstation already about to do something like this and that is why the EA Access is exclusively for Xbox? But 100% agree that if the price is right, it could work.

#24 Posted by SolidTy (49991 posts) -

@CHAOSpectre said:

@shawn30 said:

No doubt Sony will partner with someone and do the same. $30 bucks a year is fantastic.

Isn't Playstation already about to do something like this and that is why the EA Access is exclusively for Xbox? But 100% agree that if the price is right, it could work.

Sony said no to EA when they approached them and then Xbox said yes.