Dragon age Origins Ultimate Edition backwards compatible on Xbox One?

Charles456k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Charles456k
Member since 2013 • 34 Posts

I know Dragon Age Origins is backwards compatible on Xbox One, but if I get the Ultimate Edition that has all of the dlc, is it compatible as well? If so, what do I do? How do I get Dragon Age Origins and all of the dlc on my Xbox One?

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Why don't you ask them ?

Lispeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Lispeth
Member since 2017 • 2 Posts

@charles456k: I hope this answer is simple enough to follow to be helpful.

After stumbling through the process for myself, I discovered a couple of things that it would have been really nice of them to let the owners of Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition on disc know: First, yes. You absolutely can install the UE in it's entirety (as well as any of the unlockables available through your 'entitlements' page if you have a Bioware account and have unlocked them http://social.bioware.com/da2/dlc_bundle/) The catch, however, is that you must install the DLC from the second disc in the case before you install the base game unless you wish to do as I had to do and spend about an extra hour installing it twice. Secondly, regardless of what several sites - including Xbox Live's help - say, the only way I'vebeen able to get all of the DLC to load when the Xbox 360 virtual machine starts up is if it is that same DLC disc is in my Xbox One's disc drive and not the main game disc as one would naturally assume it should be. (I can get the game itself to start up fine with the game disc in the drive, but the DLC such as Awakening, The Stone Prisoner, Warden's Keep, etc will not show up as installed content regardless of it's presence on my Xbox One's hard drive.)

In what I hope are fairly simple steps, this is what I ended up doing in order to install it on the second Xbox One that lives at my house, and it worked with no issues:

1: Insert the DLC install disc into the Xbox One's disk drive, and from the home screen, select 'install disc.' After doing so, the Xbox One should inform you that to use the content it will require you to install an update and tell you how much space it will take. Allow it to do so, and it will install all of the DLC packages from the disc.

2: Remove the DLC disc from the Xbox One's disc drive and insert the actual 'game' disc for Dragon Age: Origins. If you have it set to autoplay, a message will pop up that you must install an update to play the game and tell you the size of the update. (If you do not, then select the tile that shows the Dragon Age: Origins game and when you attempt to start it, the screen I mentioned will then pop up.) Allow it to install the game.

3: When complete, remove the 'game' disc from the drive and reinsert the DLC install disc, then from either the tile on your 'Home' screen or from 'My Games and Apps' you can now select Dragon Age: Origins and the Xbox One will load up the Xbox 360 virtual machine with Dragon Age: Origins running. (It very well may have sound stutters and take a few minutes as it goes through the process of 'Checking Add On Content' but it should then show that all of the DLC from the Ultimate Edition is installed.) If your account has other entitlements that are unlocked, you can now exit the game and either highlight the Dragon Age: Origins tile on the 'Home' screen or go back to 'My Games and Apps' and highlight the Dragon Age: Origins tile, then press the 'menu' button so you can choose 'Manage Game.'

4: If you have additional content available to you, it should now show up under the category 'Ready to Install' under the Game Management menu. You can now install those items, and when finished, the next time you start up the game, all of your content should load and you'll be all set to take on the Archdemon and save Ferelden from the Blight.

NOTE:This process is *only* if you own the full Ultimate Edition and all of your DLC came on a second disc contained in the package. If you own the base game on disc and purchased the DLC through the Xbox Store and downloaded it directly, then you should install your base game from the disc and when it finishes installing, start up the game and let it load all the way to the main game menu and then exit the game (be sure to fully quit the game)

You can then go to 'My Games and Apps,' and under the 'Ready to Install' heading, the content you own through digital entitlement should then be visible. If not, try selecting the tile for Dragon Age: Origins, press the menu button and choose 'Manage Game.' If you have the digital entitlement on the account that is logged in on your console, the previously purchased DLC and any unlocked items should be listed under 'Ready to Install.' If you find that your DLC is not listed, be sure to double check that you are logged in with the same profile/gamertag that purchased the DLC from the Xbox Store. If the content still does not show up as 'Ready to Install,' then you will likely have to contact Microsoft to see if they can determine the cause.

Good luck to you, Warden!

Side Note: I have also found that when dealing with Xbox One backward compatible games (thus far, every compatible title I own, at any rate) while any available DLC can usually be purchased from the in-game Store menu, you must exit the game completely and go to the Game Management section for that specific game in order to actually install the purchased Xbox 360 DLC and have it function properly the next time the game is started. I suspect this has to do with how Microsoft/Xbox Live deals with DRM and Digital Entitlement for the DLC and how they 'prove' to the Xbox One that the entitlement exists so that it will function in the Virtual Machine, but that is only my personal speculation. That would also explain to me why I have to have the DLC disc for the Ultimate Edition in the drive to have the DLC load - the DRM certificate is very likely encoded on the disc.

Alyxana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Alyxana
Member since 2017 • 1 Posts

@lispeth: Thank you so much! This is exactly what I needed.

I actually ended up paying for dlc I already had on another game because I didn't know to check the Manage Game screen for my stuff. You are a life saver.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#5 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

Manage game has been the answer for many BC games with extra content. If you own it, you can almost always make it happen. MS has been bad about letting consumers know

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#6 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Deus Ex: Human Revolution has this problem. The standard game is backwards compatible - the Director's Cut edition is NOT.

Lispeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lispeth
Member since 2017 • 2 Posts

@alyxana: Sorry it took so long for me to say, but you're very welcome. Sometimes certain "features" of many Microsoft products drive me more than a bit daft. Their extremely non-intuitive DLC installation is one of my personal pet peeves. :-)

Happy gaming!

Icyblaze13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Icyblaze13
Member since 2006 • 26 Posts

I followed this step by step and still can't get the DLC to show up even under the manage game section.

ryanthegeneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ryanthegeneral
Member since 2016 • 133 Posts

@Icyblaze13: I have the game installed (through origins) and the DLC through the ultimate disc.

You say you don't see it under game management. Not sure if you are trying through disc DLC or downloaded from Xbox live.

But those having trouble I may have also found a glitch and work around.

Like I said have game digital and DLC through disc. Played- saved. When I tried playing again it said i needed to install the DLC it was missing--- which was all. I went to game management and uninstalled 1(return to ostegar-- this time) - and re installed. Went back to game and all DLC present again. If it doesn't show in game try uninstalling and re installing one to refresh it.

This literally just happened tonight so can't confirm if it will keep happening and if the workaround will keep working. Just putting the info out there

pieflavor987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pieflavor987

Okay, so on Xbox One it says I have the dlcs installed, but when I load up the game it says I need to buy them. Why can't this just be as easy as it was on 360?!

LordLazybones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LordLazybones

Here's how I got it to work...totally uninstalled all and reinstall fresh from disc 2. Then ejected disc 2, and reinserted disc 2 as method of starting the game. I had a cloud save from Xbox 360 and was able to load the game fine. Went back to title screen and checked downloadable content, and all were marked as downloaded.

Dragon_Irons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Dragon_Irons
Member since 2004 • 62 Posts

@lispeth: ya... that doesnt' work buddy. I just got this. You stick the dlc disc in first, all it does is say "having trouble accessing the content right now" or w/e and never lets you do anything with the disc. I install the game with disc 1 first on my 1S, then put in the dlc disc, al it does it start the game with the dlc disc, and there's no dlc listed under downloadable content.