Dragon Age Origins is a surprising good game!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Saab33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Saab33
Member since 2006 • 1613 Posts

I returned MWF2 and picked this up.I was a little unsure but feltin the mood for a fantasy RPG.This is close to my favourite all time RPG on consoles and its only competitor is Mass Effect. For meBioware just know how to make outstanding RPG's or at least one that I can really connect to.

I was and still am surprised at how much I am loving this game. The dialogue trees are thorough and far reaching, the character customisation is decent and I have been able to create a class and character that I really enjoy. The combat is good and the story is rich, deep and very well put togther. Of all the games I currently own, this is the one I look forward to the most. A real surprise!

sensfanVone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 sensfanVone
Member since 2006 • 1714 Posts

I returned MWF2 and picked this up.I was a little unsure but feltin the mood for a fantasy RPG.This is close to my favourite all time RPG on consoles and its only competitor is Mass Effect. For meBioware just know how to make outstanding RPG's or at least one that I can really connect to.

I was and still am surprised at how much I am loving this game. The dialogue trees are thorough and far reaching, the character customisation is decent and I have been able to create a class and character that I really enjoy. The combat is good and the story is rich, deep and very well put togther. Of all the games I currently own, this is the one I look forward to the most. A real surprise!

Saab33

Bioware is awesome, I can't wait to get Dragon Age on Wednesday, and then Mass Effect 2 I'm pre-ordering the collectors edition as soon as possible, a great company that hasn't let me down yet!

Nemesis4747

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Nemesis4747
Member since 2004 • 1104 Posts

I agree! except about the part of it being "'surprising' good"... i would have only been surprised if it was trash, though EA could potentially ruin future bioware releases with their damn marketing, i can just see coke billboards in mass effect 2...*shudders*

Hakud0ushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Hakud0ushi
Member since 2005 • 7613 Posts
It's a pretty good game, for my taste its a bit slow paced, but it's the concept of the game. Worth a shot. :D
Cujo31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Cujo31
Member since 2002 • 2884 Posts
I want to get this game, but I'm waiting only because I have so many other gmaes to play!
billyd5301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 billyd5301
Member since 2008 • 1572 Posts

I agree! except about the part of it being "'surprising' good"... i would have only been surprised if it was trash, though EA could potentially ruin future bioware releases with their damn marketing, i can just see coke billboards in mass effect 2...*shudders*

Nemesis4747
Yeah, I haven't got to play it yet, but Bioware is pretty solid. Not surprising.
Avatar image for theintrospect79
theintrospect79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#7 theintrospect79
Member since 2004 • 2796 Posts

Agreed (except for "suprisingly"). Dragon Age was definitely worth the wait for me, and it was a long one.

Zemus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Zemus
Member since 2003 • 9304 Posts

Nothing from Bioware is Suprisingly good. Bioware makes nothing but AAA, hasn't made a bad game.

knob1701

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 knob1701
Member since 2007 • 410 Posts

I will be picking it up on Black Friday for cheaper. Not sure I will like the combat but will give it a shot after I finish AC2.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#11 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
It's made by Bioware, so I don't see why anyone would be surprised. How many bad games has Bioware made?
narog84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 narog84
Member since 2006 • 1126 Posts

Saab33

what do you like about the combat , is fun? look really dull in videos

Miles347

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Miles347
Member since 2009 • 131 Posts
Damn, i really wanna get Dragon Age. A lot of my friends have said that it is totally worth getting Im thinking of sellin a couple games to buy it!
Grif-yes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Grif-yes
Member since 2009 • 1576 Posts

[QUOTE="Saab33"]

narog84

Its not so much of action combat, as a real time taking turns combat.

I find that combat VERY fun.

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

Bioware made it I knew exactly how great this would be just like ME2 will be amazing.

Endgame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Endgame_basic
Member since 2002 • 950 Posts

If this game wasn't made by Bioware I get the feeling it'd be getting 6-7s max across the board. Very glitchy, bad graphics, terrible gameplay on consoles. Oh wait, it's Bioware, intsant 8-9/10.

strawberry9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 strawberry9
Member since 2006 • 875 Posts
if it were not for assassins creed2 , I would give this game the game of the year award
david0202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 david0202
Member since 2004 • 40 Posts

i bought the game yesterday and im tryin it now, so far is good, great graphics,sound, good story, and the char is AWESOME!!! overall 9/10 for me. recommended game for people who likes RPG and Fantasies

Grif-yes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Grif-yes
Member since 2009 • 1576 Posts

Ooooh...

I also just beat the game an hour or so ago...

Very thrilling, and very well thought out. My only complaint is that you can't really go back and do sidequests and revisist towns and such, this is kinda a bummer...

Big_Boss465

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Big_Boss465
Member since 2007 • 834 Posts

I was actually shocked to find myself enjoying the game as much as I was. It is fantastic, so glad I bought it.

mattg90520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mattg90520
Member since 2006 • 3115 Posts
im not surprised. bioware makes amazing games. it looks great and id get it except that im trying to get missed achievements right now. in fact, im currently working on mass effect so that im ready for mass effect 2. i may pick this up over the summer some time
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 craigalan23
im not surprised. bioware makes amazing games. it looks great and id get it except that im trying to get missed achievements right now. in fact, im currently working on mass effect so that im ready for mass effect 2. i may pick this up over the summer some timemattg90520
If you like achievements you'll love Dragon Age because the majority of the achievements are obtained by playing the game differently.
bessy67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bessy67
Member since 2007 • 1734 Posts

Yeah, it's quickly becoming one of my favorite games ever. I'm really suprised by the length of it though. I've played for 50 hours and it says that I'm only 33% done.

Cloud567kar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Cloud567kar
Member since 2007 • 2656 Posts

How can you be surprised? Bioware's games are always amazing.

SLUSHiNaToR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SLUSHiNaToR
Member since 2009 • 1366 Posts
I got it and and I just traded it in yesterday. I personally couldnt get over how washed away it looked and the the trees and grass and stuff poping up when Id run around.. Sure the gameplay was decent but I just couldnt get over how the graphics where compared to how pretty it looked on pc. Sure, i might get it again.. but not for 360. PC. Mass Effect looked glamorous.. So I was really disapointed about how bioware didnt go all the way for 360 version of dragon age :(
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 craigalan23
I got it and and I just traded it in yesterday. I personally couldnt get over how washed away it looked and the the trees and grass and stuff poping up when Id run around.. Sure the gameplay was decent but I just couldnt get over how the graphics where compared to how pretty it looked on pc. Sure, i might get it again.. but not for 360. PC. Mass Effect looked glamorous.. So I was really disapointed about how bioware didnt go all the way for 360 version of dragon age :(SLUSHiNaToR
Graphics made you stop playing a game?
orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#27 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts
I'm gonna hold off until a possible GOTY version comes out :P
SLUSHiNaToR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SLUSHiNaToR
Member since 2009 • 1366 Posts
[QUOTE="SLUSHiNaToR"]I got it and and I just traded it in yesterday. I personally couldnt get over how washed away it looked and the the trees and grass and stuff poping up when Id run around.. Sure the gameplay was decent but I just couldnt get over how the graphics where compared to how pretty it looked on pc. Sure, i might get it again.. but not for 360. PC. Mass Effect looked glamorous.. So I was really disapointed about how bioware didnt go all the way for 360 version of dragon age :(craigalan23
Graphics made you stop playing a game?

Well I have a capable computer to run it better than my 360. That was the biggest deal I had about it. But I also didnt like the way you traveled by the map and such. I perfer open world games like oblivion, assassins creed, and gta games.. So basically it was the graphics and the map aspect of traveling that made me not like it as much. I did enjoy what I played of it, but from what I hear, the combat, and graphics of course, are dumbed down on the consoles. So I'll get it later on pc like I did with UT3, and TF2. I thought Id get the same experience from the 360 version. :[
ttam01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#29 ttam01
Member since 2008 • 427 Posts

why the heck would you return mw2

dkidfrmdbx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#30 dkidfrmdbx
Member since 2005 • 453 Posts
you know i was saying the same thing today, ive realized in 2 days ive logged in 14 hours on dragon age. Personally, im not crazy about RPG's, and i HATED oblivion, but i had to purposely turn the game off the first day i played it because i had began at 7pm and it was 4am and i knew i would have played into the afternoon. I remember FF XII used the same kind of fighting system, but it seems dragon age made it fun. I love the game and its def one of my favorite games of all time. its certainly a must buy
dkidfrmdbx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#31 dkidfrmdbx
Member since 2005 • 453 Posts

i also forgot to mention that, my main problem is that i begin a quest and seem to pick up many quest within the main quest and the main quests are long so doing extra quest drags it out, but the side quests are so much fun. i realize i am deeply satisfied with the game and only completed about 1/5th of it. my girlfirend is already complaining that i havent spoken to her in a while, but i cant put the game down lol. again everyone shoudl get it

Saab33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Saab33

ttam01

Saab33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Saab33

[QUOTE="ttam01"]

/QUOTE]

Saab33

To me MWF2 just seemed to get really bland after the first mission on single player and the multiplayer doesn't feel too innovative or different to most other FPS's out there either.I just don't think is that remarkable.I prefer Borderlands and Left for Dead 2 for my FPS and multiplayer shooter fixes. That is my opinion.

Saab33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Saab33

[QUOTE="Saab33"]

narog84

First let me say, I will happily address this question but I will also say a few things that make this game really come alive for me and why it has been a good suprise in terms of quality, fun gaming.

For methe big thing about the combat was finding a character class that suited the gamesstyle of combat. The way it works is that you press a button once and target an enemy and your character will repeatedly attack the charater with the spell or comboassigned to that button once it replenishes. Of course you can mix it up by pressing the other buttons that have assigned abilities mapped to them too and you will need to.But it feels a bit different toother real time combat games. Infact it doesn't exactly feel 'real time' but it iscertainly not turn based.

My first attempt at playing this game I created a male human warrior and I found the combat a bit clunky. On top of that I played the game as though I was the warrior. The decisions I made were the decisions I would really make given the context. Now, I did quite like my warrior and I could tolerate the combat but a little way in I thought 'if this game lasts around 100 hours, I really should create a character that I would find fun and that I think I would like to see in this kind of story'. I am not a big RPG guy but I love stories, classic novels, good movies and thisis where DA:O just got me.

So I decided to start over doing something I have never done with an RPG before and that is create a characterwith a make believe personality different to my own and play the game and make decisions based on what I think my character would do and not what I would do. Immediately this gave the game a brand new appeal and became instantly more immersive. Most of you RPG nuts are probably thinking 'you just figured this out?' and the answer is yes haha, I don't play many RPG's.

Secondly, I wanted to focus on the story telling elements and let them be the driving force of the game and not the combat (which is not my preferred style but really works for me with this game. Also given that I just picked up AC2 that more than satisfies my desire for action and combat.) So I dropped the difficulty setting down to casual which means the fights are far easier to get through (I haven't died yet and only one party member has been injured). But this lets me really get on and enjoy the game as an immersive unfolding story played through the eyes of the make believe character I have created.

Lastly, the character I created was a female Elf Mage. I have found the combat in this game for me really suits Mages. It feels better to be blasting spells from afar than getting up close and trading death blowswith a blade.

To finish off. I chose a female Elf Mage because I love how the game makes deliberate differentiations between classes and races and how this impacts upon dialogue and interaction. Elves are looked down upon by the human class and the Mage backstory is one where family ties are destroyed so it really fitted in with the type of personality I wanted to give my character.To me, my female Elf Mage is a strong willed cynical young womanoverly confident in her own abilities with little respect or love for humans and a disregard for compassion or empathy toward anyone or anything. Yet at the core she is uncertain and doesn't believe she is worthy and thisgives her an unrelenting determination to prove her value in the sight of others.Its just heaps of fun to imagine my character being challenged and shaped and transformed by the experiences she has as the story progresses. Also, the way the other characters react to my Mages persoanlity are very well done and add to the overall depth of the game. Dragon Age Originshas analmost organic feel about it because of it.

I have typed heaps. I just love this game!

Dordledum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Dordledum
Member since 2009 • 1754 Posts

The game is great, and not surprisingly. Only three games I ever played and liked even better, and all were Bioware as well!

* Baldur's Gate II (part of this preference is nostalgia, hard to beat)

* KotOR

* Mass Effect

xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts

Agreed (except for "suprisingly"). Dragon Age was definitely worth the wait for me, and it was a long one.

theintrospect79
Agreed. There's nothing surprising about Dragon Age being awesome.