Dragon Age Orgins > Oblivion ???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DranzarTypeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DranzarTypeF
Member since 2009 • 2623 Posts

I picked up AC2 and Dragon Age Origins a couple days back, and I have to say that this is the true 10th century medieval game I have been waiting for since Morrowind. I was greatly disappointed by ES: IV Oblivion, mainly because it was boring as hell and way too open ended for my taste. Now DAO is out and I'm having a blast, I just wanted to find out is this the best Sword and Shield RPG this gen or is Oblivion still the best ?

Avatar image for theintrospect79
theintrospect79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#2 theintrospect79
Member since 2004 • 2796 Posts

Agreed, Dragon Age is superb!

St_JimmyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 St_JimmyX
Member since 2006 • 3061 Posts

DAO is like a bastard child of Oblivion.

orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#4 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts
I voted Oblivion because I've never played the others. but to be honest, Oblivion is pure crap. I hated the game; SO BORING!!! I loved KOTOR, so I'm expecting A LOT from DA:O.
NightmareCV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NightmareCV
Member since 2007 • 440 Posts
Is it wrong to say I liked Two Worlds? Overall I enjoyed Oblivion more than DA:O but it's still a great game.
JS0123456789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JS0123456789
Member since 2007 • 927 Posts

Both games are great. Oblivion had the open map. DA: O has great story/cutscenes. I went with Oblvion but it's a matter of preference as usual.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#7 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts
DAO and Oblivion are way too different to be in comparison
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

Oblivion is like... Dragon Age but with a story that's executed worse. Dragon Age is noticeably better in pretty much everyway imo. The only leg up I can give Oblivion is the open world environment.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

Dragon Age > Two Worlds >>Oblivion

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Phoenix534

Is it wrong to say I liked Two Worlds? Overall I enjoyed Oblivion more than DA:O but it's still a great game.NightmareCV

No. It's a great game. Highly underrated and underapprieciated.

DranzarTypeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DranzarTypeF

DAO and Oblivion are way too different to be in comparisonhillelslovak
How so ? lol

david0202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 david0202
Member since 2004 • 40 Posts

for me its Dragon Age origins.... oblivion IV is very boring for me dragon age satisfy my needS. Graphic,char costumization, story line

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

Phoenix534

Oblivion is basically the worst "RPG"(More like adventure game) I have played this gen. Dragon Age is basically better in every way that I can think of. The main things are the story and the characters. I could care less about Oblivion's dull story or horrid cast of "characters."

DaveyBoy123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 DaveyBoy123
Member since 2004 • 2216 Posts
DAO and Oblivion are way too different to be in comparisonhillelslovak
agree'd
DranzarTypeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DranzarTypeF

[QUOTE="hillelslovak"]DAO and Oblivion are way too different to be in comparisonDaveyBoy123
agree'd

We're not comparing games here man lol, WHICH IS THE BETTER MEDIEVAL RPG ? of course you can't compare them... DA: O is better in every way possible.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Phoenix534

[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

craigalan23

Oblivion is basically the worst "RPG"(More like adventure game) I have played this gen. Dragon Age is basically better in every way that I can think of. The main things are the story and the characters. I could care less about Oblivion's dull story or horrid cast of "characters."

Agreed. Bethesda games usually aren't any good without the modding community(which seems to be better than the actual developers)

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts

[QUOTE="DaveyBoy123"][QUOTE="hillelslovak"]DAO and Oblivion are way too different to be in comparisonDranzarTypeF

agree'd

We're not comparing games here man lol, WHICH IS THE BETTER MEDIEVAL RPG ? of course you can't compare them... DA: O is better in every way possible.

Erm...Wha? That doesn't even make sense. Asking which is the better medieval RPG is demanding comparisons. :roll:

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 craigalan23

[QUOTE="DaveyBoy123"][QUOTE="hillelslovak"]DAO and Oblivion are way too different to be in comparisonDranzarTypeF

agree'd

Except being extremely repetitive. :P How many Oblivion gates can they possibly have? Maybe change up the scenery sometime so I don't get bored of them. Everytime I closed one I felt no accomplishment at all.
DranzarTypeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DranzarTypeF

[QUOTE="DranzarTypeF"]

[QUOTE="DaveyBoy123"] agree'dMadVybz

Erm...Wha? That doesn't even make sense. Asking which is the better medieval RPG is demanding comparisons. :roll:

Well then since they're both Medieval, 10th century games, then I guess they can be compared then lol, what do you want ? a cookie ? lol.:P

bluem00se

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bluem00se
Member since 2005 • 2185 Posts
I'm getting Dragon Age relatively soon so I can't say yet, but I doubt it is as good as Oblivion. It looks amazing and is one of my most anticipated games this year, but Oblivion was just so good that I don't think Dragon Age can topple it. I hope I'm wrong though, because if it's better than Oblivion, I will surely be glued to Dragon Age for hundreds of hours.
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Phoenix534

[QUOTE="MadVybz"]

[QUOTE="DranzarTypeF"]We're not comparing games here man lol, WHICH IS THE BETTER MEDIEVAL RPG ? of course you can't compare them... DA: O is better in every way possible.

DranzarTypeF

Well then since they're both Medieval, 10th century games, then I guess they can be compared then lol, what do you want ? a cookie ? lol.:P

Dragon Age isn't medieval. It's high fantasy.

Cloud567kar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Cloud567kar
Member since 2007 • 2656 Posts

DAO easy

PuddinPant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PuddinPant
Member since 2005 • 1607 Posts
DAO is probably my favorite 360 game so far. That I can think of anyway.
Bloodymassacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Bloodymassacre
Member since 2007 • 391 Posts

I wasn't interested in either at all, but played Oblivion a lot later than it came out and was highly disappointed despite the great reviews. I played Dragon Age at a friend's house and fell in love, went and got it myself. I say Dragon Age by far.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#25 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

[QUOTE="MadVybz"]

[QUOTE="DranzarTypeF"]We're not comparing games here man lol, WHICH IS THE BETTER MEDIEVAL RPG ? of course you can't compare them... DA: O is better in every way possible.

DranzarTypeF

Oblivion is a completely open world environment with an emphasis on being able to go anywhere, and is a much more point and click styled game as far as attacks go. Dragon Age is a KOTOR styled game with a heavier emphasis on balancing your tactics and teammates. Just because they're both rpgs set in a certain time period doesn't mean they're that alike at all. It's like asking whether Fallout is a better shooter than Halo 3. Just because they have some like aspects should not overshadow the many huge differences they have.
Hailfire704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 Hailfire704
Member since 2009 • 729 Posts

God I hated Oblivion, but my brother loves it. Haven't played Two Worlds, but DA:O is amazing. So yeah, I'm going with Two Worlds.

RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 RobboElRobbo
Member since 2009 • 13668 Posts

Oblivion. I love it. DA:O is fantastic too, I haven't played the Xbox version though.

seankane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 seankane
Member since 2007 • 4076 Posts

I'm getting mixed signals here.

Some people are saying that DA:O is as good/better than Oblivion. Thats a HUGE compliment. Oblivion is one of the greatest games of this generation, hands-down.

But others are saying its very 'different', which would make any comparisons null and void.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#29 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Dragon Age is the best rpg ive played in years and years.

I think its definatly better then Oblivion to be honest.

Better story, better gameplay, characters that you care more about and better voice acting.

I love the elderscrolls games but Oblivion definatly had some issues and I enjoyed Morrowind and Daggerfall a little more.
Still two good games though! Just Dragon Age I enjoyed more!

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kozzy1234

I'm getting mixed signals here.

Some people are saying that DA:O is as good/better than Oblivion. Thats a HUGE compliment. Oblivion is one of the greatest games of this generation, hands-down.

But others are saying its very 'different', which would make any comparisons null and void.

seankane

They are both very good games, but they are DIFFERNT. The two games are not exactly the same I think thats what people are trying to say.

The main difference to me is as follows =

1. Far better story in Dragon Age

2. More exploration in Oblivion

3. THE MAIN DIFFERNCE = The Combat..... Oblivion = Real Time fighting with not alot of depth Dragon Age = A mix between Turn Based and Real time strategic combat (You can pause the combat when u want and you have a party of members and not just one person).

Two great rpgs, but each rpg does DIFFERNT things better then the other (Dragon Age = better story, better characters, better voice acting... while Oblivion = better exploration and more freedom).

You have more places to explore,options and missioning around to do in Oblivion, while Dragon Ages world feels more alive, better story and you actually care about the characters as they seem more real/meaningful

All in my honest opinion of course, hope that helps bud.

seankane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 seankane

They are both very good games, but they are DIFFERNT. The two games are not exactly the same I think thats what people are trying to say.

3. THE MAIN DIFFERNCE = The Combat..... Oblivion = Real Time fighting with not alot of depth Dragon Age = A mix between Turn Based and Real time strategic combat (You can pause the combat when u want and you have a party of members and not just one person).

Two great rpgs, but each rpg does DIFFERNT things better then the other (Dragon Age = better story, better characters, better voice acting... while Oblivion = better exploration and more freedom).

You have more places to explore,options and missioning around to do in Oblivion, while Dragon Ages world feels more alive, better story and you actually care about the characters as they seem more real/meaningful

kozzy1234

That does, thanks.

Personally, even as a big RPG fan, I've never been super-interested in a 'great' story. There's very few 'great stories' in video games compared to books and movies and whatnot. I'm more interested in replay value, lots of sidequests, exploration, atmosphere, and most importantly, addictive leveling and looting.

Seems to me that DA:O has at least some of these elements in spades, and while the 'great story' isn't gonna get me rushing to the stores to buy it, the other elements do sound pretty good. Not sure if I'll enjoy it more than Oblivion, but I think I might have to give this one a try(whenever I get time between MW2 and Forza 3.....).

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kozzy1234

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

seankane

That does, thanks.

Personally, even as a big RPG fan, I've never been super-interested in a 'great' story. There's very few 'great stories' in video games compared to books and movies and whatnot. I'm more interested in replay value, lots of sidequests, exploration, atmosphere, and most importantly, addictive leveling and looting.

Seems to me that DA:O has at least some of these elements in spades, and while the 'great story' isn't gonna get me rushing to the stores to buy it, the other elements do sound pretty good. Not sure if I'll enjoy it more than Oblivion, but I think I might have to give this one a try(whenever I get time between MW2 and Forza 3.....).

I agree 100% about videogames usually not having that great of storys. But with Dragon Age, we get one of the best storys ever in a videogames imo. I honestly was blown away by how well the story was told and what not, I usually only witness storys this well done in Foreign movies or books as you said above. Highly reccomended bud. There are tons of sidequests, addicting/strategic gameplay, fantastic story, characters that you really care about and great leveling up, along with tons of great loot to get on the way(which you said you enjoy in a rpg).

And since you said you are enjoyign Forza3 and Modern Warfare2 (two games that im enjoying alot myself), makes me want to say GET IT even more now hehe. As Forza3 and Dragon Age are my personal Games Of The Year (With Modern Warfare2 being Multiplayer of the year for me).

bigjones0578

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 bigjones0578
Member since 2006 • 49 Posts

Havin had each of them on release day i say all 3 are great games.. TW has its flaws but still great adventure/rpg although i never stuck around for patched multiplayer had a lvl 50+ necro and beat it, Oblivion is prob the fan favorite and if you can get into it you'll love it had lvl 30+ mage, assassin/archer, tank. On DA:O i have had lvl 18+ Assassin lvl 18+ Mage and 14 Tank atm its great just having so many rpg elements, equip and pretty great story line, Dragon fights are epic and with some good difficulty adjustments the game can be quite hard ha, when you adjust difficulty its just harder to kill everything.

My fav DA:O although Oblivion was prob one of the greatest

ghstbstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#34 ghstbstr
Member since 2006 • 8790 Posts

It is and should be without question that Oblivion is so far the best medieval-style rpg ever made as nothing comes close. So I hope that there is another game like The Elder Scrolls 5 soon that has the exact type/style of gameplay.

Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Texas2089
Member since 2003 • 16490 Posts

Never played Oblivion so Dragon Age wins :P

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 kozzy1234

It is and should be without question that Oblivion is so far the best medieval-style rpg ever made as nothing comes close. So I hope that there is another game like The Elder Scrolls 5 soon that has the exact type/style of gameplay.

ghstbstr

In your opinion of course :P

In my opinion, to me Morrowind and Daggerfall are better games in the Elderscroll series. I still enjoyed Oblivion alot though, just had more fun with the previous ones in the series.

seankane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 seankane

I agree 100% about videogames usually not having that great of storys. But with Dragon Age, we get one of the best storys ever in a videogames imo. I honestly was blown away by how well the story was told and what not, I usually only witness storys this well done in Foreign movies or books as you said above. Highly reccomended bud. There are tons of sidequests, addicting/strategic gameplay, fantastic story, characters that you really care about and great leveling up, along with tons of great loot to get on the way(which you said you enjoy in a rpg).

And since you said you are enjoyign Forza3 and Modern Warfare2 (two games that im enjoying alot myself), makes me want to say GET IT even more now hehe. As Forza3 and Dragon Age are my personal Games Of The Year (With Modern Warfare2 being Multiplayer of the year for me).

kozzy1234

Convinced!

Will be my next purchase for sure. :D

atm0073

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 atm0073
Member since 2005 • 3069 Posts
I doubt it.
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 craigalan23

[QUOTE="ghstbstr"]

kozzy1234

In my opinion, to me Morrowind and Daggerfall are better games in the Elderscroll series. I still enjoyed Oblivion alot though, just had more fun with the previous ones in the series.

They took out too much stuff for Oblivion to even be considered a decent sequel or at least that's how I feel about it. I would love for someone to explain to me why taking out medium armor was a good idea.

RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 RobboElRobbo
Member since 2009 • 13668 Posts

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

[QUOTE="ghstbstr"]

craigalan23

They took out too much stuff for Oblivion to even be considered a decent sequel or at least that's how I feel about it. I would love for someone to explain to me why taking out medium armor was a good idea.

Yeah... light is too weak and heavy is too heavy... ya know?

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 craigalan23
[QUOTE="craigalan23"]

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

RobboElRobbo

Yeah... light is too weak and heavy is too heavy... ya know?

I loved medium armor is Morrowind and the larger variety of weaponry. A sequel should add things not take them away. Not to mention why only one big expansion? Where are all of the guilds? It's a fun game but far from being great and yes I know this is my opinion.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#42 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

[QUOTE="ghstbstr"]

craigalan23

Agreed. Oblivion isn't even as good as the past games in the series