Double Dragon suks!!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FearNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FearNinja
Member since 2006 • 693 Posts
Do not buy the XBLA version of Double Dragon you will regret it. Sometimes it seems as though the framerate actually drops and it seems as though your hits do not register on your enemies all the time.
Dub_c6969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Dub_c6969
Member since 2004 • 6014 Posts
yea i tried for like 2 minutes and turned it off lol..
ktdc_lb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ktdc_lb
Member since 2005 • 32 Posts
I am really dissapointed in this game, I have waited ages for it too, I loved it on the NES back in the day and was hoping that this was the replacement for it. Its not! ah well just hope they release it on the Wii Virtual console!
logicbombx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 logicbombx
Member since 2004 • 866 Posts
The game runs exactly like the arcade machine, slowdown and all
Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#5 Ash2X
Member since 2005 • 3035 Posts
Well I played it too back then.Play the original today and you will see that DD was never really good.Main Probem:It was pretty unfair.
Avatar image for Ninja_0f_Enigma
Ninja_0f_Enigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Ninja_0f_Enigma
Member since 2005 • 213 Posts
I have to agree, no problems with framerate though, my problem is with how frustrating it is. I remember playing this on my brothers NES, and never do I remember it being so frustrating. Everytime there would be more than 2 enemies on screen, I'd get hit and not be able to get back up without having to use a continue. Double Dragons, FTL.
Generic_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Generic_Dude
Member since 2006 • 11707 Posts

lol, of course it's frustrating. When we old-schoolers were young, we didn't have our victories handed to us like you n00b-school people, with PS2 being your first console. And the slowdown was in the original... it's a perfect arcade emulation, with the enchancements being layered on top of it.

EDIT: All the same, I will admit that DD wasn't the greatest game even back in the day. Certainly no River City Ransom. 

Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#8 Ash2X
Member since 2005 • 3035 Posts

lol, of course it's frustrating. When we old-schoolers were young, we didn't have our victories handed to us like you n00b-school people, with PS2 being your first console. And the slowdown was in the original... it's a perfect arcade emulation, with the enchancements being layered on top of it.

EDIT: All the same, I will admit that DD wasn't the greatest game even back in the day. Certainly no River City Ransom. 

Generic_Dude

still almost everyone played it for hours...back then we didn´t complain that much about it...I´m 25 right now...I´m getting old.

gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 12001 Posts
That's unfortunate, I loved the arcade version of this game.
TrustCo1971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TrustCo1971
Member since 2006 • 1721 Posts

I am really dissapointed in this game, I have waited ages for it too, I loved it on the NES back in the day and was hoping that this was the replacement for it. Its not! ah well just hope they release it on the Wii Virtual console!ktdc_lb

There are ways of playing these games on your pc, with a controller guys/gals...look around. 

Munkey4098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 Munkey4098
Member since 2004 • 451 Posts
The game is exactly like it was in the arcades. Love this game still. You new guys whos first system was the PS2 or Xbox can't understand the fun of the older games because ya'll are use to 3D and pretty graphics. My son is six and i'm letting him play my old NES and Sega Genesis. The game is pretty cool.
DJTOMMY812

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DJTOMMY812
Member since 2003 • 2003 Posts
its exactly how it was in the arcade lol except new sprites ofcourse.
kolobus11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 kolobus11
Member since 2005 • 12981 Posts
DD is the best 2d sidescrolling beat em up on the arcade. Its great fun. Maybe you people just dont have skill.
DJTOMMY812

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DJTOMMY812
Member since 2003 • 2003 Posts

DD is the best 2d sidescrolling beat em up on the arcade. Its great fun. Maybe you people just dont have skill.kolobus11

although great i disagree with you a bit there. i think Metal Slug is the best and cant be beat. then comes contra and then DD, but thats just me

Avatar image for jcbrockport2003
jcbrockport2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jcbrockport2003
Member since 2003 • 190 Posts
this game is great and truly a classic the nes version  runied it and was nothing like the arcade. im so glad this came out on xbox acrcade becuase it would be a cold day in hell before i bought it for the vitrual consale. this game is as olod school as you can get and their is nothing better then geting you ass handed to you by chiny.
djord02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#16 djord02
Member since 2003 • 1495 Posts
I was fired up about Double Dragon coming to the Xbox Live Arcade, but after playing it, I'm disappointed that they didn't fix the slowdown. It makes the controls feel unresponsive, and that is a big 'no no.'
joejoe160

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 joejoe160
Member since 2004 • 745 Posts
Double Dragon is a classic and is a perfect port with enhanced graphics of its arcade version.  Don't hate unless you have played this game from back in the day.
Avatar image for AllSystemsRocks
AllSystemsRocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AllSystemsRocks
Member since 2005 • 1079 Posts
DD is a real bad emulated game.... back in the days on NES it was great
OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts
hmm....i might give it a shot
EnderSR388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 EnderSR388
Member since 2004 • 6552 Posts
That's funny, I really like it! I hope they bring DDII though.
-ZeRoHouR-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 -ZeRoHouR-
Member since 2003 • 8089 Posts
My best friend told me not to buy it, so I trust him.
stooper78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 stooper78
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
Im "old" at 29. And also loved the game "back in the day". I Remember it not being the easiest game out there, but after buying the arcade version, i got my....kicked, continued a whole lot, beat the game and 0 Achievements! You can do the same thing on Smash TV and at least walk away with some points.
newfg311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 newfg311
Member since 2003 • 816 Posts

Im "old" at 29. And also loved the game "back in the day". I Remember it not being the easiest game out there, but after buying the arcade version, i got my....kicked, continued a whole lot, beat the game and 0 Achievements! You can do the same thing on Smash TV and at least walk away with some points.stooper78

Thats one of the things I like about it.  You actually have to work for your achievements on this XBLA game.  Normally they are a cake-walk but on this one they are at least a little bit of a challenge. 

Avatar image for ReverseCycology
ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ReverseCycology
Member since 2006 • 9717 Posts
Always try the trial game first!  Hey I heard you can beat this game in 15 minutes?  Any truth in that?
shadybizkit123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 shadybizkit123
Member since 2004 • 1743 Posts
i got it yesterday, cause like most old school gamers i was excited about it.  i just don't remember it bein this tough when i was a kid.  i'm a little disappointed at the product, but at the same time, i'm not upset that i bought it.
-ZeRoHouR-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 -ZeRoHouR-
Member since 2003 • 8089 Posts
Always try the trial game first! Hey I heard you can beat this game in 15 minutes? Any truth in that?ReverseCycology

Wouldn't doubt it but Contra only takes around 10-12 minutes to beat as well.
l0uciferr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 l0uciferr
Member since 2005 • 434 Posts
I say that the nintendo version although graphically not as rich, is a much better game IMO. That also goes for Contra. I mean the NES versions of both of these games are longer and not as... well glitchy and loose. i dont know of any other way to explain it.
clubside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 clubside
Member since 2004 • 667 Posts

More of us "lovers of the arcade experience" need to speak up. After the spate of "Messenger doesn't work on under-18 accounts" topics it's clear there are a lot of younger 360 players who never experienced the joys of the aracde.

I'm 41 and played Double Dragon a lot at the Multiplex in Virginia where I used to see movies every Friday night with a large group in the late '80/early '90s. Now I suck big time but that never stopped me from joyfully pumping quarters into these games that lasted minutes at best. I also loved watching others play and the communal groaning and excitement of the other player's failure or success.

Double Dragon was a button-mashing, visceral favorite. After its release yasterday I got one of my 360 friends, one of the few I know in real life but is in Floriday whereas I am in Marylnd, to pick it up and we played through the game, something I had never done even with the MAME version. While playing we laughed and complained and chatted and it was just like being back in front of the upright arcade machine, though with the "fancy" new art. That was the experience I wanted (and have gotten with Gauntlet, Joust and others in the past on XBLA) and will get again. It is a great time, a fun way to meet new people, and only lasts as long as you want beore moving on to more "robust" multiplayer gaming.

I loved the arcades despite my utter ineptitude, and appreciate Microsoft doing the best they can to replicate that experience for old and young alike. It is social gaming.

tenorio_rotc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 tenorio_rotc
Member since 2003 • 3447 Posts

Generic_Dude

Yeah, I think slow down should be in there, it would feel weird if it wasn't.  Plus, I think the problem is these kids who grew up on playstation and polygons.  When games went 3D, They got easier. 

InjuredNoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 InjuredNoodle
Member since 2006 • 1077 Posts

Generic_Dude

^^^Well said, I'd hate to see some of these nOOb-schoolers try some of the harder games like the original Ninja Gaiden series or the NES Teenage Mutant Turtles. The next generation are going to be puss%$s 

bryehngeocef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#31 bryehngeocef
Member since 2003 • 2281 Posts

DD is a real bad emulated game.... back in the days on NES it was greatAllSystemsRocks

completely different game though. it

's arcade perfect if you play in classic mode...

NOW FEAR THE ELBOW! 

Wildhang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Wildhang
Member since 2003 • 156 Posts

I would not give this game the POLISHED TERD Award. Double Dragon is exactly like the arcade was just horrible controls but addicting back in them days. I had this game on the Commodore 64 and it sucked on that to.

Avatar image for metallica_fan42
metallica_fan42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#33 metallica_fan42
Member since 2006 • 21143 Posts

Generic_Dude
That's one of the greatest games:D And I haven't downloaded Double Dragon yet.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#34 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts
I love it! Definatly not ever listening to you ever !
Generic_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Generic_Dude
Member since 2006 • 11707 Posts
[QUOTE="Generic_Dude"]

InjuredNoodle

^^^Well said, I'd hate to see some of these nOOb-schoolers try some of the harder games like the original Ninja Gaiden series or the NES Teenage Mutant Turtles. The next generation are going to be puss%$s

I see people complaining about Gears Of War on Insane... I beat that with no trouble apart from two sections of the game which I had to retry a lot (the final boss and the end of the preceding level). You want to see hard? Dig up Kid Icarus for the NES.

I'm pleased to say I've beaten both Ninja Gaiden, TMNT for the NES, Ghosts N Goblins and a treasure trove of other classics that are all a hundred times harder than Gears on Insane. 

sonofabear17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 sonofabear17
Member since 2006 • 1941 Posts
*sigh* yeah i already deleted the trial game of it
starsdestroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 starsdestroy
Member since 2006 • 207 Posts

Generic_Dude

Finally! Someone who actually remembers what the real arcade game was like! I used to play this game in the arcade

with a friend in the 80's...back when you would actually pump a bunch of quarters into games.

It's a fun game when a friend plays with you. 

Metalnoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Metalnoid
Member since 2006 • 1314 Posts
Double Dragon rocks!!! This game is fantastic and in XLA looks much better than the arcade version for only 400p. Everybody must have DD ;)
Jeff_Boldt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jeff_Boldt
Member since 2006 • 867 Posts
I needs me some battletoads.
cec985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 cec985
Member since 2005 • 48 Posts
this is just like what happened with contra..... I would have preferred the NES version......and i hope battletoads gets to xbla someday
blahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 blahzor
Member since 2005 • 2287 Posts

Yes, the slowdown was in the arcade version.. that doesn't mean it's excusable today.  Anyways, as annoying as slowdown is, it doesn't make the game more difficult as far as i'm concerned.  As for the overall challenge of this game?  The easiest 165 points i've earned(i haven't gotten "hero" yet, but i haven't really focused on it).  You just have to learn the tricks.  Here's what i've learned, for those having trouble

(for at least easy/normal.. haven't tried much hard)ALWAYS use your elbow attack(punch + jump).  For every character but the Abobo's/Bolo's you can time it properly such that they basically can't get to their feet(use the elbow just as they are crouching to get up).  Also, it'll often strike before they can get off a punch or kick.
For Abobo's/Bolo's, knock them down with an elbow then get a slight distance on them otherwise they toss you when they get up.  When they get up, they'll walk towards you and when they are in reach use the elbow again.  Repeat until they die.
NEVER EVER use your punch or kick combo's, more often then not the enemies will strike at the same time or before.  Also, keep on the move!  don't let yourself get surrounded, just keep moving around the map and using that elbow

The elbow works on everyone, it's perfect.  Experiment with it and be patient.  It's quite easy.

EDIT: Woot!  just completed it!

blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 blacktorn
Member since 2004 • 8299 Posts
Worst XBLA yet.