Does anyone else play games only once?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Xeros606
Member since 2007 • 11126 Posts

I hear people talk about replay value a lot, but it's something that doesn't really mean much to me since I usually never play a game more than once. To me the replay value in a game lies solely in multiplayer.

What about you?

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#2 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

I tend to replay games more than once. And i dont mean Multiplayer... If a game is good enough for me, stayed in my mind after i finished it, i go ahead and replay it again, and again, and again...

FPSs like Metro 2033, Bioshock and Singularity are story-driven but very memorable for different reasons. Sometimes you just want to dip deeper into a gaming world (ala Rapture) over and over again.

RPGs for example tend to have a high replay value. Games like Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, i tend to re-play twice a year (if not more)...

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
I replay most games one more time on the hardest difficulty and for achievements. Never once, they better have a good MP in that case.
eyko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 eyko
Member since 2004 • 233 Posts

Very rarely, I put so much time and effort into the game first time round that I struggle to play a second time. One of the biggest cases of this is KOTOR (I know PC game, but using as an example) were I literaly explored every nook and crany, spent ages with the story.

Didn't attempt to replay for a year or so, but when I did I knew pretty much everything and barely got through the first planet.

Although I play mainly RPGs so maybe this is why?

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

Very rarely, I put so much time and effort into the game first time round that I struggle to play a second time. One of the biggest cases of this is KOTOR (I know PC game, but using as an example) were I literaly explored every nook and crany, spent ages with the story.

Didn't attempt to replay for a year or so, but when I did I knew pretty much everything and barely got through the first planet.

Although I play mainly RPGs so maybe this is why?

eyko

Yeah i played through both KOTORs on the xbox plenty of times. Same with the Mass Effects. But i would agree now that mainly multiplayer is the replay value for most games. Also i played Farenheit a few times. If nobody knows what that is its basically Heavy Rain but on the original Xbox.

allboutkiln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 allboutkiln
Member since 2010 • 508 Posts

No, thankfully 90% of games that i indulge in have a good replay value, Bioshock 1 & 2, Red Dead Redemption, Red Faction Guerilla,Dead Space, Fallout 3/New Vegas & Gears of War 2 have all deserved a re-visit.

Alex3796

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 1

#7 Alex3796
Member since 2009 • 2669 Posts
Most of the time if I'm replaying a game it's because I'm getting achievements but I will occasionally go back and play through a story once more.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
I suppose I don't play too many games over again... come to think of it, just about the only game I've played through more than once on my xbox in recent years was WET. I suppose it's because of how short(and AWESOME) the story is- the game simply takes no prisoners when it comes to remaining true to it's aesthetic. Damn... my work day has only just begun and I want to play it...
Patrickbrown56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 Patrickbrown56
Member since 2010 • 892 Posts

For me it really depends. Games like Oblivion, Dragon Age, and Mass Effect are fun to revisit and play again. Games that aren't as diverse as those titles don't hold the same appeal to me. Those games I'll keep in my collection until I've gotten all of the cheevos for them, but after that it's back to gamestop for those titles.

jarhead1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 jarhead1990
Member since 2005 • 2079 Posts

Depends on the game but I usually go back to game I really enmjoyed.

Avatar image for HilbillyRokstar
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 HilbillyRokstar
Member since 2007 • 3236 Posts
I usually will go back and at least play some of the better parts again. But I have to ask, who buys your games?
Avatar image for Victors_Valiant
Victors_Valiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Victors_Valiant
Member since 2010 • 398 Posts
Not usually. There are some games that I will, for example KOTOR I played through a couple times, but usually if I replay the games it is for multiplayer.
shinglemill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 shinglemill
Member since 2009 • 346 Posts

I usually play them more than once but there are always exceptions. i hate when it happens

lokinineteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lokinineteen
Member since 2003 • 969 Posts
I only played games once and on normal on previous systems. Now with the addition of achievements I always play on the hardest difficulty and will only revisit the single player portion of the game for any extra achievements that will be reletively quick to get but never to replay the story. Same with films or books I will only watch/read once. I only purchase games now that have multiplayer that I will play a lot and either use lovefilm for the singleplayer games or buy them when cheap as its not cost effective for me to buy at full cost for a one time play through. There are of course exceptions like Skyrim that Ill definately pick up on realease.
teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 teknic1200
Member since 2007 • 3191 Posts
I only play a story based game once. platformers may have more replayabilty in trying things like speed runs. then there is online multiplayer.. this is the difference between a 20 hour game and a 400 hour game for me.
eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts
depends, if your not talking about the multiplayer part of it then i usually like to play bioshock and god of war over again... im thinking about getting final fantasy 13 since it looked fun but after i beat it im not replaying it.....i heard it's like 64 hours
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

naw...too many games in my back log... i just hit it and quit it....then 5 years later i revisit it.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#18 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
If I finish a game, cant usually play it again.
XPunkXManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 XPunkXManX
Member since 2007 • 530 Posts
I normally play the games more then once, either because the game had a good story and want to play it, or because the gameplay was just fun. Also normally when I play a game the second time I find things that I haven't seen when I played it the first time. But then there are certain games that I just play once and then I'm done with it, usually trade it in or sell it to a friend.
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

I have too many games to be replaying ones I've already beaten.

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

I hear people talk about replay value a lot, but it's something that doesn't really mean much to me since I usually never play a game more than once. To me the replay value in a game lies solely in multiplayer.

What about you?

Xeros606
i totally agree with this
lKoRuPT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lKoRuPT
Member since 2005 • 264 Posts

Like others mentioned, I play once on the hardest difficulty to try and get all the achievements I can in one run. Usually if I bought the game mostly for multiplayer (such as Halo: Reach, or Gears of War 2), I'd only play campaign once. Campaigns like these are very linear, so there is not much value in playing them over again. But with games sorely devoted to open areas and exploration (such as Fallout 3, and Bioshock) I would play it through at least twice. Eventually when I get think I've done all I can, I'll probably trade it in or eBay it it I can get a good deal.

Grillinnap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Grillinnap
Member since 2010 • 135 Posts

I'm currently playing GoldenEye on a harder difficulty after completing it the first time in the beginner mode (or whatever it was called).

leonhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 leonhead
Member since 2007 • 1524 Posts

I try my best to give a game another play through in the coming months but never can.

pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 pills4louis
Member since 2011 • 1331 Posts
Of course. Anyone who sees multiplayer (in primarily single-player games) as the only form of replay value is either shamefully casual or playing the wrong games. I must have sunk over 50 hours into Raiden IV by now, and it's a one-hour game. (though I usually just play for one credit, since using continues is for mooks.)
jekyll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 145

#26 jekyll
Member since 2002 • 9140 Posts

Ipretty much play them once. As an adult with more games I'd like to play than I'll ever have time to play as it is, I sure don't have time to play them more than once.

pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 pills4louis

Ipretty much play them once. As an adult with more games I'd like to play than I'll ever have time to play as it is, I sure don't have time to play them more than once.

jekyll
Why do people do this? It's saddening. Then again, I'm picky with my games, so I generally don't have any problem playing the heck out of the games I already have before buying new ones.
EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#28 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

[QUOTE="jekyll"]

pills4louis

Why do people do this? It's saddening. Then again, I'm picky with my games, so I generally don't have any problem playing the heck out of the games I already have before buying new ones.

Well, some of us have jobs, families, social lifes and most importantly bills and responsibilities which are vital for one's survival. Time is of the essence, so less time is available for hobbies like games and such. Once you grow up a little more and real life hits you hard you will come up with the same answer as the one you are now questioning.;)

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#29 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Nah i just play them once.

RealKilla_789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#30 RealKilla_789
Member since 2007 • 3669 Posts

It depends on what game. If the game is really good and I need to get some extra achievements such as playing on a harder difficulty I will. Also, if it is a really good RPG I will play it over to see what if I did a different path.

Wings_008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 173

#31 Wings_008
Member since 2008 • 3813 Posts
it depends on the game, i played, finshed and reached level 30 in Fallout 3 four times (PC) and once (360) but i only played F:NV once because i didn't like it all that much
ilike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ilike
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
I usually play games just once. I don't really care about the achievements so once I'm done, that's it. I only replay if I really like a game and usually it's an open world game like GTA, Saints Row or Crackdown. Since all these shooter game single player campaigns are getting shorter I started renting through Gamefly so I'm not upset when my $60 game gives me 5 hours of play.
JadeNic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JadeNic
Member since 2007 • 905 Posts

I do a little bit of both.

There are a lot of games that I play through once and then I am done with it. I sell it and forget about it.

But there are many games that I constantly go back to. These are the games I keep in my collection. I've played through my games for my older consoles more times than I can count. And there are a couple games in this generation that I go back to often, like Dragon Age Origins, Puzzle Quest, and Tales of Vesperia. Sure there are plenty of other games I could be playing, but I would rather spend my time playing games I know I love than playing through a string of games that may be mediocre.

Avatar image for phillyeagles123
phillyeagles123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#34 phillyeagles123
Member since 2006 • 76 Posts

Usually, I'll play through a game more than once. The first time to just beat it and enjoy the story. Second time to get achievements I missed and what not.

pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 pills4louis

[QUOTE="pills4louis"][QUOTE="jekyll"]

EvilSelf

Well, some of us have jobs, families, social lifes and most importantly bills and responsibilities which are vital for one's survival. Time is of the essence, so less time is available for hobbies like games and such. Once you grow up a little more and real life hits you hard you will come up with the same answer as the one you are now questioning.;)

That statement would hold validity if I wasn't 27 and working to pay for my apartment/ cable/ etc. Technically, if you're out on your own, buying games frequently works against your self-preservation. Would be better to get the most out of your existing collection and have a tad bit of discretion instead of making impulse purchases every month. Then again, my tastes dictate that what I buy generally always has replay value, most of the time in single-player, though I do play a few multiplayer games online. I usually stay wary of playing (or at least actually paying for) flavor-of-the-month games, i.e. games with a deadline. A game should be designed so that it can be enjoyed for years to come. Hence why I didn't think MGS4, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake, or almost all Final Fantasies (and most JRPGs, at that) were really that great at all. Too much of a movie, not enough of a game.
Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#36 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

More recently, yes. When I was younger I used to replay the hell out of my games... now I just can't be bothered, most of the time. I don't know why... most games just dont compel me enough.

seankane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 seankane
Member since 2007 • 4076 Posts

I could probably count the number of games I've replayed on one hand.And even of these, it usually took years before I replayed them.

I try and get the most out of the game the first time around,which makes replaying pretty much pointless. And even if I dont do most everything in a game, I still cant replay it becausethe majority of the game is *still* very 'been there, done that'. Like all these games that give you'choices', such as Mass Effect and Oblivion and everything -these choices dont really change the experience that much. You're still doing the samequests for the most part and the consequences are typically insignificant in the big picture.

RedChuckz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 RedChuckz
Member since 2006 • 830 Posts
I remeber in the PS2 era i replayed games over and over again like MGS3 must of completed it at least 20 times till I got to the point i was so good but now days i beat it once and that's it just sits there and collects dust idk something happened this gen.
zombiejonny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 zombiejonny
Member since 2003 • 8277 Posts

It really depends if the game has any replay value such as collectibles, different paths, achievements, online co op, etc.

Hakud0ushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 Hakud0ushi
Member since 2005 • 7613 Posts
Usually? Like 95% of the games i only play once.
IWAOlympus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 IWAOlympus
Member since 2011 • 412 Posts
It depends on the game. If I put 100+ hours into an RPG and squeeze everything I can out of it during the 1st playthrough, I'm not going to play it again. But if it's a game that can be beaten in 8-10 hours and there are achievements for multiple playthroughs, I'll run through it again if it was enjoyable enough the first time.