Do you think you would be able to give up gaming???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JeanAlex22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JeanAlex22
Member since 2011 • 307 Posts

Do you? I'm just 19 years old and I know a couple of people who are nearly twice my age and are still playing games, which make me think like "Would I be like them when I grow up?" I'm not saying it's a bad thing but I just never pictured myself still playing games when I already at my 30s, and I've been playing games before I even went to school and now that I think about it, I dont know anything as of this moment that could give me a reason to stop playing games . . .What about you guys?

BurlyBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 BurlyBro
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
No way... and I actually went without a console from 2000-2007... I was in much better shape then lol.
xboxmad12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 xboxmad12
Member since 2009 • 575 Posts

Do you? I'm just 19 years old and I know a couple of people who are nearly twice my age and are still playing games, which make me think like "Would I be like them when I grow up?" I'm not saying it's a bad thing but I just never pictured myself still playing games when I already at my 30s, and I've been playing games before I even went to school and now that I think about it, I dont know anything as of this moment that could give me a reason to stop playing games . . .What about you guys?

JeanAlex22

As long as I had another hobby to replace it. Otherwise no.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#4 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I'm 40 and i dont see myself giving up on gaming.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
I am 30 and not even close to ready
Totemz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Totemz
Member since 2011 • 32 Posts
I am 23 and I don't think that I could give up gaming completely, I don't play as much as I use to now that I work on vehicles as another hobby but gaming is what I enjoy the most.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Do you stop watching movies when you turn 30? Do you stop listening to music when you turn 30? Do you stop reading books when you turn 30? You don't stop playing games when you turn 30. Or ever. Unless your wife nags you and you cave in under pressure.

BFKZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 BFKZ
Member since 2004 • 1728 Posts
If you find something else that gives u as much joy as gaming then sure, why not? I don't see a reason to quit it otherwise.
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

Do you stop watching movies when you turn 30? Do you stop listening to music when you turn 30? Do you stop reading books when you turn 30? You don't stop playing games when you turn 30. Or ever. Unless your wife nags you and you cave in under pressure.

Black_Knight_00
lol this is one of the main reason I dont play as much as I'd like plus I work 50 hours a week. I am lucky to get abut 6 hours a week in gaming. 10 years ago I would easily do that a day.
-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
would depend do i currently want/need to? no if things keep getting more and more into the wii/kinect/move type of gaming? yes i would give it up if i had less and less free time/ other things to spend my free time on? yes so its all a matter of circumstances for me, i could if i needed to, i just dont need to
Technomancer82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Technomancer82
Member since 2011 • 215 Posts

Why would you suddenly stop gaming just because you turn 30/40/50/whatever?

I'm just coming up on 30 now and I'm enjoying games as much now as I did when I was 10.

Sure, if you just can't find time for it in your life then I'd understand, but otherwise I don't really see what age and gaming has to do with eachother.

Maybe it's because gaming is still considered "immature"?

It's not like anyone is asking "gee, I'm reading books now at 15, but I sure can't see myself reading a book when I'm 50".

craigkelleigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 craigkelleigh
Member since 2005 • 329 Posts

Nope.......i'm 41 now - 3 kids......full time job....been gaming sice I was about 15....

But can never see myself giving up.......I have actually recently up-dated my TV and stereo and one of the main considerations was how it all fitted into my xbox set up....

I probably get a couple of hours a night of gaming in - and although I have a large collection of games to get through I can't see myself ever stopping......

I guess I am just excited to see how the games have developed over the years - going from tapes to floppy disks and now we have motion control.........

maybe my 'fast-twitch' reactions aren't that of a 19 year old - but I find I am still enjoying the fast-paced shooter games (I have recently finisged Vanquish.....)

but with the variety of games out there now there is something for everyone.....

is it uncool for a 50 year old to play games? - nope - they have come so far from just being aimed at kids - so many mature themes with thoughtful moral-based stories that I think a wide age group can now feel catered for....

just my opinion

:)

doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 30

#13 doubalfa
Member since 2006 • 7108 Posts
I'm currently 25 and well I could put game aside for 2-3 months sometimes, it's all a matter of how much free time I have on my hands, and when you turn 30 chances are you won't be playing that much because of all things one has to occupy them.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]

AutoPilotOn
lol this is one of the main reason I dont play as much as I'd like plus I work 50 hours a week. I am lucky to get abut 6 hours a week in gaming. 10 years ago I would easily do that a day.

You're still lucky. There are wives who pressure their husbands into abandoning gaming entirely
Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#15 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

yeah I would be willing to. Like if I was 300lbs and needed to loose weight so I didnt get heart disease. or if I was $50,000 in debt and needed to sell all my games.... but honestly I dont think I'll actually need to. I'll probably be gaming some until I'm 90yrs old or something. I'll then give my old antique xbox360 to my kids/grandkids. LOL (if it still works)

soapman72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 soapman72
Member since 2010 • 2714 Posts

no

GamerChick2083

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GamerChick2083
Member since 2010 • 481 Posts

Nope. My husband is 34 and he still games. We even have game night once a week. Right now, we're playing through all the campaigns in Left 4 Dead. The ONLY times I ever stopped gaming was when I didn't have a console, and when I broke my arm six months ago.

Mo-licious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mo-licious
Member since 2011 • 602 Posts
I'm in my forties and game pretty much game every day. My husband thinks it's great and will couch coop when the mood strikes him. I'll never give it up... Love it! :)
driftingsilvia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 driftingsilvia
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts

I'm a collecter of gaming consoles and I don't see myself ever quitting on that. Everyone needs something to hold onto.

Darksonic666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#20 Darksonic666
Member since 2009 • 3482 Posts
I will game as long as I feel like it but if something more important came up I could quit.
gamerfreak1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gamerfreak1991
Member since 2005 • 2501 Posts
I'm 20 years old and I'm still going strong with gaming, if I REALLY had to give it up I could probably live, I'd just be on the internet a lot more probably.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

if i find something that take up my time when i am not home... IT would easy atm. it's getting boring to me idk. FOR maby over year easy i havn't found a game more fun the dark souls yet i have only put 30hrs in it over 2 weeks.

If i was havning fun with gaming like i use to. this game would have been completeded easy. and dead island SP be done and gears 3 SP would been started. sad lol.

CammiTac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CammiTac
Member since 2011 • 1179 Posts

If I had to for whatever reason, then yes, I could. But I wouldn't be happy about it.

It is just a hobby, but it is a hobby I quite enjoy and I see no reason why you would need to quit it simply because of aging.

Itz_Raining

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Itz_Raining
Member since 2009 • 66 Posts

The only time that I have gone without gaming is when i'm in a deep depression. Other than those times: neverrrr!

homegirl2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 homegirl2180
Member since 2004 • 7161 Posts
I could stop. It'd be a little rough at first, but I have to go without games for a while at times due to demands from classes. I get most of my gaming done on the vacations between semesters. There are exceptions at times, usually on the handheld front (easier to pick-up and put down), but that's generally the way it works.
Chabelis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Chabelis
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I've been gaming since I was about 5 years old, and I doubt I'll ever stop.. perhaps when I don't have any free time to waste, and personally I feel there are far worse ways to waste your time than gaming. Watching television for example.. :)
MajorTapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MajorTapper
Member since 2011 • 27 Posts
I'll be 60 on my next birthday, I can't quit, well I guess I don't know how?
ACx7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ACx7
Member since 2007 • 6222 Posts
Absolutely not. And that is something I am not ashamed of at all. Everyone has something they enjoy doing more than anything else. For me it is gaming. I love every form of gaming. From iPhone to PC. From World of Warcraft to Angry Birds. I don't know what I would do without gaming.
CodingGenius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#29 CodingGenius
Member since 2004 • 8118 Posts
I've given it up in the past, and do give it up when I get busy. My time and interest ebbs and flows, as with most hobbies.
dragonps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30 dragonps
Member since 2007 • 1702 Posts
No I could never give up the hobby I love, the only way that's gonna happen is if I get too old or lose my mind or something.
DJP3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DJP3000
Member since 2010 • 293 Posts

I'm actually spending more time gaming in my 30's than in my teens. I couldn't game as much in my teens because I was still going to school and homework and studying for exams meant less time for gaming for me. Now I don't get any homework and I don't have to study for exams since I'm not a student anymore, and I also have a part time job, and I'm single, don't have children to take care of, and I don't have alot of bills to pay, means I have more time for gaming. Even if a person has a full time 9-5 job anddoes not go to school, I don't see how they don't have as much time for gaming as when they were a student because they at least don't have to study for exams and have no homework.

DJP3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DJP3000
Member since 2010 • 293 Posts

And no I don't think I could ever give up gaming.

jlevin860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jlevin860
Member since 2009 • 818 Posts

I'm actually spending more time gaming in my 30's than in my teens. I couldn't game as much in my teens because I was still going to school and homework and studying for exams meant less time for gaming for me. Now I don't get any homework and I don't have to study for exams since I'm not a student anymore, and I also have a part time job, and I'm single, don't have children to take care of, and I don't have alot of bills to pay, means I have more time for gaming. Even if a person has a full time 9-5 job anddoes not go to school, I don't see how they don't have as much time for gaming as when they were a student because they at least don't have to study for exams and have no homework.

DJP3000

i played a lot of video games in college, i just graduated last year and ive been gaming less and less now that i have a 9-5. in the few hours after work i see friends/pre occupied with ladies and i can't stay up late to game because i have to get up early... its kinda is frustrating, considering i want to play more games, (only have like 3 hours on dark souls, plus i want to get batman AC, mw3, skyrim, mgs hd bundle....)

i'm working on a few business plans to relieve myself of the 9-5 grind, which will allow me for some more free time.

i honestly don't see how people can play games on more than 3 systems without skipping over quality games on each system. there is just too many games out to try to stay on top of everything.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

I'm 25 and see no "game over" for being a gamer, it's too fun.

Avatar image for WSGRandomPerson
WSGRandomPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#35 WSGRandomPerson
Member since 2007 • 13697 Posts
I haven't gamed in a few months, so I may be on the road to giving it up. However, with FFXIII-2 coming out in the near-future; it will change. :P
Avatar image for UprootedDreamer
UprootedDreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 UprootedDreamer
Member since 2011 • 2036 Posts
I could never give up gaming, I have been gaming way too long to be without it.