Do you think Kinect will be good for the hardcore gamers?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AgentRaven77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AgentRaven77
Member since 2010 • 84 Posts

Well alot of hardcore gamers don't seem to behappy about Kinect but Mircosoft is trying there hands on the causel crowd something that hardcore gamers like myself don't like. WellI am notbig onKinect and plan not to buy it anytime soon but it will win over the causel crowd the like the Wii crowd. If Microsoft want Kinect to be big then theyshould makegames for the hardcore crowd just like Nintedno did this year with bring back gaming to the hardcore gamers

LoserMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 LoserMike
Member since 2003 • 4915 Posts

No because how do you control movement? Do you have to walk/run in place to move?

That's why most of the hardcore games shown have been on-rail shooters like that Panzer Dragoon like game and Child of Eden.

jjivey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 jjivey
Member since 2010 • 1354 Posts

I think as time passes more games that appeal to "hardcore" gamers will be developed. Question is how do they make the hardcore players prefer to use themselves over a controller?

By hardcore games you must mean FPS. Seems these games are very possible, just have to see how they handle walking, running, and getting into cover without forcing the player to lose their breath or aim/sight.

Ill have a Kinect, but im not investing a lot into it until i see more interesting stuff.

DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DJ_Magneto
Member since 2008 • 4675 Posts

[QUOTE="daviwinn"]Kind of hard to take this thread seriously when your posting on what is equal to a 4th grade English level. As for Kinect and "hardcore" gamers, get over yourself and stop thinking the wrold revolves around you. You're probably not as hardcore as you think you are anyway.AgentRaven77

Shut up, hey face me in Halo Reach 1 on 1 fool

Seriously? You're a Warrant Officer and your K/D ratio is .67. You're bragging about that?
bigredrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bigredrew
Member since 2004 • 104 Posts

Actually, I don't think Microsoft should be marketing the Kinect to "hardcore gamers" at all. These kinds of people will most likely choose a physical controller over a motion sensor any day. For those that do buy a Kinect, however; it will most likely be for a casual gaming experience "and not hardcore". Sure, there will be some games developed for the "hardcore" group, but I would not expect much for Kinect specifically.

What may happen, though; will be something similar to the PS Move and what Sony's done to some of their PS3 games. Further down the line, this most likely will change. However, at this time I think their main goal is to attract new customers,"casual" gamers, and make the Xbox 360 a more family orientated console.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#10 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
I'm fairly hardcore, and I'm really excited. I love new technology and look forward to playing new types of games with my casual gamer fiance.
THIRTYSIXBLACK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 THIRTYSIXBLACK
Member since 2009 • 89 Posts

People need to quit whining about Kinect. It's not taking away from the games for the xbox. I will still have the shooters, RPG's and other games I enjoy, it's just an add-on. You don't have to use if you don't want to. I am actually looking forward to it, it's a way for me to play games with my 8 year old daughter and my fiancee. It's not required, so I don't know why so many people are up in arms about it.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
I am probably going to buy it just for the cool factor invlolved in pushing my Xbox around with the power of my voice, but I won't be really excited until I hear about them developing a game that works in conjunction withe the controller. And by the bye, am I the only one who was disappointed that you cannot register a custom keyword to refer to your Xbox with the voice commands? I suppose just saying "Xbox: blahblah" is okay, but I was hoping for a bit of individuality.
Avatar image for full_disclosure
full_disclosure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 full_disclosure
Member since 2008 • 955 Posts

It wouldn't bother me, aslong asms wasn't totally focused on it. The way it looks is that they're hoping it does the nintendo wii explosion. But Nintendo is trash now! Pumping out loads of trash daily. Maybe once or twice a year a game that will hold ur interest longer than a day comes out. MS rushed Fable 3 out the door obviously. Probably because they have Lionhead working on some kinect shovelware. And they've announced nothing but Gears 3 for all of 2011?
????? Seriously it looks like Sony is about to get a ton of love from me! I will get Kinect and a few games down the road for my 2 and 5 year olds. But I will likely toy with it for a week and never comeback.....just like the wii. And people do not leave kinect plugged in....it will broadcast very private info over the net if left connected. Voice recognition, heat signature, facial recognition etc....

daviwinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 daviwinn
Member since 2004 • 4827 Posts
And people do not leave kinect plugged in....it will broadcast very private info over the net if left connected. Voice recognition, heat signature, facial recognition etc....full_disclosure
lol, get out the tin foil hats!
neovalkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 neovalkyr
Member since 2003 • 1097 Posts

^^ i wouldnt be surprised. Everytime i play starcraft 2 my webcam turns on i have no idea why it gets turned on...

Nexustras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Nexustras
Member since 2005 • 568 Posts
most casual gamers think they're core gamers anyway so yeah why not.
Kurezan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Kurezan
Member since 2008 • 1850 Posts

Not really.

mrgrins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mrgrins
Member since 2004 • 179 Posts

I could see Kinect being amazing for RTS games using a combination of gestures and voice commands.

FPS games would be tough to really get the immersion right. The living room space and need to be facing the TV to see what you are doing is too limiting for using the Kinect to move around. I could see it being used to issue squad commands, use secondary items, etc, and that could be cool.

It could be implimented well for RPGs where you are able to more naturally step into the role for conversations and such, but maybe still use a controller for getting around most of the time.

What I really want to see is something like Black and White on the X360 for Kinect... that would be epic. That game was made for the Kinect; it just didn't know it.

Avatar image for full_disclosure
full_disclosure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 full_disclosure
Member since 2008 • 955 Posts

[QUOTE="full_disclosure"]And people do not leave kinect plugged in....it will broadcast very private info over the net if left connected. Voice recognition, heat signature, facial recognition etc....daviwinn
lol, get out the tin foil hats!

I was unaware biotech was a conspiracy theory! It has all of the tech I mentioned (aswell as a camera) in it and it's connected to the net 24-7. I'm sure u don't beleive that anyone with the proper tech can listen to u through ur cell phone even if it's turned off. U come at me with a thought police povlonian response. Don't worry there isn't huge databases with tons of info on u or anyone else. Now go play some games and smile!

mrsniper83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

#20 mrsniper83
Member since 2009 • 1552 Posts
Next year they will come out with games toward the hardcore crowd
kerrman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 kerrman
Member since 2003 • 2904 Posts

It will not be good for hardcore GAMES, that's for sure. But for the hardcore gamer, why can't you enjoy it a bit? I'm sure some great games will come out for it. I know I plan on getting it, my girlfriend and I tried it over the summer and we thought it was a blast!

daviwinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 daviwinn
Member since 2004 • 4827 Posts

It will not be good for hardcore GAMES, that's for sure. But for the hardcore gamer, why can't you enjoy it a bit? I'm sure some great games will come out for it. I know I plan on getting it, my girlfriend and I tried it over the summer and we thought it was a blast!

kerrman

Actually you just touched onmy biggest gripe with how so called "hardcore" gamers are reacting. Have they tried it? Is is a bad thing that something "casual" can be fun?

No, this tech isn't out to replace a controller (and it never would suceed if that was the goal, just look at my sig...do you really think an imaginary steering wheel could replace that?). The Kinect is here for a different purpose, to have fun. So turn on the lights, call some friends over, make some popcorn and have some fun.

Regarding the term "hardcore gamer", well Nintendo's Charlie Scibetta said "They're usually the early adopters that want to get the latest version of something, and they'll be the ones that put it through its paces the hardest and give us all kind of feedback and tell us what they like and don't like." So by that definition Kinect owners will be even more hardcore than the Halo fanboys who refuse to even give it a shot. That's all I got. Peace

Flamingpostman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 Flamingpostman
Member since 2006 • 1172 Posts

no when i get on xbox i just want to chill and play not jump around

F0urTwenty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 F0urTwenty
Member since 2010 • 1842 Posts

No. It's a shame though because PS Move will have a boat load of hardcore games... oh well..

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
Games are games, if people were less concerned about pointless labels, they would see there is a whole world out there outside of Call of Duty. Gamers play games, not cry about titles that have had the meaning completely sucked out of them. Its not a matter of will Kinect have "hardcore" games, its simply a matter of it having good games. If gamers back in the day were as concerned about some label as gamers today are, lots of gems would have gone unplayed.
marc5477

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 marc5477
Member since 2005 • 388 Posts

Its just a matter of time before all squad based (or multi-unit control) type game will be using voice commands and hand motions. Right now, controlling squads and units especially in a real time game is either not efficient or not accurate. You will have a lot more flexibility if you can control squads by names, and by pointing.

Aside from the above, we also have a whole new way to interface. We will have better looking menus in games and you will be able to control them better as well. Really this technology is overdue and I cant wait for it to come to the PC so we can use it in more productive ways, not that I dont like gaming.

Next gen, if a system doesnt have this type of technology (voice and motion) you can pretty much count them out of the running.

Avatar image for harry_daniel200
harry_daniel200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 harry_daniel200
Member since 2010 • 77 Posts

unless there is something called kinect wand,i dont think hardcore games will be fun on kinect

cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

Idk. I'm not reallt interested in the kinect.

godfather_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 godfather_1
Member since 2005 • 562 Posts
I don't even have the space for Kinect and the games do not interest me so I won't be buying it.
djphelps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 djphelps
Member since 2002 • 331 Posts

Maybe not with the current generation of hardware. There is a bit of lag between you doing the movement, the camera picking up the movement, and then processing that movement. Granted, that lag time is pretty small, but that quarter-second is too much for any sort of run and gun-type games.

MystikRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MystikRex
Member since 2010 • 324 Posts
Without buttons, no. How would they work? I mean you can't even accelerate in Kinect Joy Ride. You just steer! What a fun game that sounds like... Despite all the "you are the controller" marketing rubbish, Microsoft have already said that games will be coming out that use the controller. So basically it's flawed and they know it.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#33 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
I think the potential for games that use Kinect and the controller together have tremendous appeal to the hardcore gamer. The voice controls have worked flawlessly so far, which could be really cool in a squad based game, and I picture throwing grenades and melee killing in shooters that let you handle aiming with the standard controller.
merzitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34 merzitar
Member since 2006 • 159 Posts

Yes. I think that KINECT does have the potential to release games for hardcore gamers like myself. It can do pretty much anything it wants to. Gears of War could be easily made for KINECT.

chasingmaynard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 chasingmaynard
Member since 2005 • 3416 Posts

Without buttons, no. How would they work? I mean you can't even accelerate in Kinect Joy Ride. You just steer! What a fun game that sounds like... Despite all the "you are the controller" marketing rubbish, Microsoft have already said that games will be coming out that use the controller. So basically it's flawed and they know it. MystikRex

Accelerating in a racing game would be easy. Just push the imaginary wheel forward and there ya go.

But wait... you're a naysayer, so nevermind. Not worth discussing.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#36 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

"Do you think Kinect will be good for the hardcore gamers?"

Only if hardcore gamers like playing games that depend in large, exaggerated movements, which is pretty much the only thing Kinnect is good for.