Do you need a HD TV use an XBOX 360

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gamermanps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gamermanps2
Member since 2006 • 1220 Posts

I know you don't get the full effect without high definition but does the console still work with a non-HD TV?

Thanks

sinsalaca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 sinsalaca
Member since 2005 • 1070 Posts

I have had a 360 since launch day and have had it connected to a standard tv and it is just fine. Yes games will look better on an HDTV, but you don't need to go out and get one right nwo just to get a 360.

dreamscott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 dreamscott
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

No, but if you have one the games will look a million times better.

shaunchgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 shaunchgo
Member since 2006 • 4605 Posts
Yes, you can use your xbox360 with a standard tv. When I first got my 360, I was using a standard television then eventually purchased a HDTV. It looks good on a standard tv, but your overall experience will improve when you see iton a widescreenhigh definition tvand you will not want to go back.
deadmeat59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#5 deadmeat59
Member since 2003 • 8981 Posts
hd>>>sd
driftingsilvia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 driftingsilvia
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts
What happened to people buying games because they were FUN? Noone complained about playing Nintendo on a floor model tv. Now we got people complaining about not playing a game in HD. What's next?
Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
Yep, it works with my standard cathode-ray TV just fine. I still want an HD set eventually, of course.
Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
What happened to people buying games because they were FUN? Noone complained about playing Nintendo on a floor model tv. Now we got people complaining about not playing a game in HD. What's next?driftingsilvia
Well, if you can get a graphical upgrade, so to speak, just by using a different TV, why not do it? It's expensive, but you also get the benefit of hi-def movies and TV channels.
angryfodder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 angryfodder
Member since 2007 • 20490 Posts

I don't think there is such a massive difference if i'm honest?

Its a bit sharper yes, but I wasn't like "wow, thats amazig now that its HD - i need a HD tv now"

obsolete2k1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 obsolete2k1
Member since 2007 • 990 Posts
I did have that "wow" moment when I transferred my 360 from my 46" SD tv to my new 42" HD tv. It does nothing to enhance the gameplay but it makes the games look phenomenal. As for being able to work on SD tvs, I'm shocked that anyone would actually think this. Microsoft is a business looking to make money, why would they or any company shoot themselves in the foot by excluding the majority of consumers by making the 360 only compatible with HD tvs?
driftingsilvia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 driftingsilvia
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts

[QUOTE="driftingsilvia"] What happened to people buying games because they were FUN? Noone complained about playing Nintendo on a floor model tv. Now we got people complaining about not playing a game in HD. What's next?Elraptor
Well, if you can get a graphical upgrade, so to speak, just by using a different TV, why not do it? It's expensive, but you also get the benefit of hi-def movies and TV channels.

Not really what I'm saying. I see alot of people (mostly kids) saying "holy crap you HAVE to have a hdtv just to enjoy these games. sdtv is crap blah blah blah hdtv is the only way you can have fun!" It's that kind of talk that gets to me and questions whether you're just a graphics whore or a gamer.

angryfodder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 angryfodder
Member since 2007 • 20490 Posts

[QUOTE="Elraptor"][QUOTE="driftingsilvia"] What happened to people buying games because they were FUN? Noone complained about playing Nintendo on a floor model tv. Now we got people complaining about not playing a game in HD. What's next?driftingsilvia

Not really what I'm saying. I see alot of people (mostly kids) saying "holy crap you HAVE to have a hdtv just to enjoy these games. sdtv is crap blah blah blah hdtv is the only way you can have fun!" It's that kind of talk that gets to me and questions whether you're just a graphics whore or a gamer.

Yeah I agree - People are banging on about graphics too much these days - its like thats all they care about. I apprechiate good graphics, but its not what makes me play a game.

It annoys me that people are rating games based purely on how good the graphics are? Kids today will write a game off purely for having bad graphics. For me graphics is the one area I can forgive a game if it doesn't quite make the grade. I'd rather have great game play than great graphics

ctifer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ctifer1
Member since 2007 • 147 Posts

What happened to people buying games because they were FUN? Noone complained about playing Nintendo on a floor model tv. driftingsilvia

Correct me if I'm wrong, but HD TV's didn't exist back in the original Nintendo days. So of course no one complained about it back then. If there was an option for Hi-Def and Standard-Def back then the complaints would have started long before now.

And no one is saying to play a game that is not fun JUST because it'll look good in Hi-Def. They're just saying it is better - and it is...

Lord_Tik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lord_Tik
Member since 2002 • 888 Posts

An HDTV isn't necessary. But it does help.

Mattchu758

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Mattchu758
Member since 2003 • 3449 Posts
of course not, it just looks better
tkemory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tkemory
Member since 2002 • 2191 Posts

What happened to people buying games because they were FUN? Noone complained about playing Nintendo on a floor model tv. Now we got people complaining about not playing a game in HD. What's next?driftingsilvia

I enjoy fun, but frankly without graphics I am not interested. I want my cake and eat it too. BIG reason I will NEVER own a Wii.

technofranki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 technofranki
Member since 2005 • 1333 Posts

I have been using a 28" standard-def TV since the 360 launced and games do look good. Last week I got a 40" 1080p HDTV, and the games is amazing.

To answer your question; the 360 will work fine on a standard-def TV, but if you have played it once on HDTV, you won't go back.

ibanezdropd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 ibanezdropd
Member since 2003 • 1844 Posts
it works fine with standard definition and looks pretty amazing on standard def.  it does look better in HD, but you really only need that if you are A) using a large tv  B) absolutely need the hsarpest picture possible
BlueTimber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BlueTimber
Member since 2004 • 722 Posts

13 yr olds love mommy and daddys toys.

Shower_Curtain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 Shower_Curtain
Member since 2007 • 36 Posts

I am 13 and i think its complete waste to go and buy a 1000-2000 HDtv instead of SD just to play a few games...I personally don't give a s*** about graphics....Its nice if the graphics are flawless but i am not gonan go spend tons of money to make it barely anything noticeably different in graphics

What teenager that makes a big deal about graphics...Makes me sick...

rbkballa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rbkballa
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

No, but if you have one the games will look a million times better.

dreamscott
i dont think you can im not sure
Danny2712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Danny2712
Member since 2007 • 95 Posts

I am 13 and i think its complete waste to go and buy a 1000-2000 HDtv instead of SD just to play a few games...I personally don't give a s*** about graphics....Its nice if the graphics are flawless but i am not gonan go spend tons of money to make it barely anything noticeably different in graphics

Shower_Curtain

Once you go HD you never go back. Never ever.. were at a turning point and theres no going back so if your not in HD (IMO) start saving now.. its all in the detail now. A fairy dies everytime someone says graphics aren't worth the money its what the tvs are made for.. and its so worth it. The people creating mass effect would get sick reading that sir or maam..

dreamscott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dreamscott
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

Shower_Curtain

Well, if your 13 your opinion doesn't really count.. The reason for this is, you don't have any money. You don't have a job. If you did, and you were making nice money, then I am sure you would see things different. You don't have a job, so 1000-2000 to you, is a lot of money. For me, it's what I make in a week.So for me, buying an HDTV is just a way to make my life better. One day, when you get older and get a nice job (after college), you will understand more.