Do you hold off playing Survival-Horror videogames until nightfall? (I do)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Elian2530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 Elian2530
Member since 2009 • 3658 Posts

I dont know about you guys.. but I tend to hold off playing survival-horror games until nightfall. Namely, Alan Wake.. which I find to be a very engaging and entertaining psychological thriller (as it says on the box!) or a survival-horror game as some would categorize it (generally).I feel that playing it in the daytime/daylight defeats the whole purpose and it takes away from that "creepy" atmosphere.

So, is it just me or do you guys do the same? If so, name some games that you play during the night.... (queues in spooky-eerie music)

Crayzorder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Crayzorder
Member since 2010 • 510 Posts

I played during night and day. Generally seen absolutely no difference.

psyko0815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 psyko0815
Member since 2010 • 449 Posts

No, I don't usually have enough free time to where I can dictate when I actually play my games, so I just play them when I get the chance, day or night.

KillerJuan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 KillerJuan77
Member since 2007 • 3823 Posts

I do

seankane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 seankane
Member since 2007 • 4076 Posts

Oh definitely.

I just started Dead Space, turned the music off, and I wont play it unless I'm alone,its night, all the lights are off, and I can turn the sound up.

The whole point of these games is to be 'tense' and 'scary', so you're compromising this goal by playing during the day.

RoslindaleOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RoslindaleOne
Member since 2006 • 7566 Posts
Yes, definitely. It sets the mood. I also don't mind playing them on rainy days.
Avatar image for dudebot12345678
dudebot12345678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 dudebot12345678
Member since 2010 • 840 Posts

I just play them when ever

Elian2530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Elian2530
Yes, definitely. It sets the mood. I also don't mind playing them on rainy days.RoslindaleOne
Haha. Rainy days are awesome. :) [QUOTE="seankane"]

Oh definitely.

I just started Dead Space, turned the music off, and I wont play it unless I'm alone,its night, all the lights are off, and I can turn the sound up.

The whole point of these games is to be 'tense' and 'scary', so you're compromising this goal by playing during the day.

Definitely. I agree 100%. I forgot to mention, "turning the lights off" and I generally play with closed headphones for those added footstep sounds. ;)
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

I'd love to, but that's a waste of time for me.

PsYcHo_BrOwNiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 PsYcHo_BrOwNiE
Member since 2009 • 5059 Posts
I do, sets the mood
jbarry89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 jbarry89
Member since 2010 • 47 Posts

I prefer to wait until the end of the night, I feel it creates a certain sense of realism between you and the character.

I feel each Resident Evil continues to raise the bar on the zombie killer genre, but that there are probably scarier games out there. I do remember being younger and refusing to play the first Silent Hill.

Wimptasticly yours~

GramDubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GramDubs
Member since 2010 • 636 Posts

ofcoarse, thats the best way to play them. RE4, silent hill 2, 3... fatal frame

ModeDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 ModeDude
Member since 2009 • 1135 Posts
I just turn off all the lights, close the curtains/blinds. Also any survival horror on a portable console is cool, since you can play sitting in your bed at night, and hide under the covers once it gets scary.
slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

I only do it when its dark windy and cows walking in the woods in my backyard. Cows sound like people walking.

gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts
Doesn't matter when to me, I prefer night and day.
billyd5301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 billyd5301
Member since 2008 • 1572 Posts
Yep I really try to. I think it adds to the mood. I remember playing the Resident Evil remake on Gamecube and wanted to play it during the day but forcing myself to wait. It just didn't seem right.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#17 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
No. Although, RE5 is like the only one I've played and I didn't really think it was scary. Playing at night or day wouldn't have changed that.
sharkbiscuit79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 sharkbiscuit79
Member since 2009 • 1142 Posts

Yes I do I think it helps with the atmosphere.

Wakanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 Wakanoid
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts
Haha, I cranked my headphones. Lightning storm outside, pitch black. Condemned = awesome :D. So.. yeah I do wait till nightfall.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#20 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts
I don't really play them in any specific time frame
Rafalski_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Rafalski_d
Member since 2004 • 56 Posts

always play at night with headphones on especially

LightColor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LightColor
Member since 2006 • 2709 Posts
i don't really play survival horror games or anything like that but if i do, yeah i would probably play in the dark
Elian2530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Elian2530

always play at night with headphones on especially

Rafalski_d
First person to reply with "headphones." I prefer headphones as well, night or day. But survival horror + headphones + night time = awesome.
YoungSinatra25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 YoungSinatra25
Member since 2009 • 4314 Posts
At night with volume high. Bass turned up... If you don't your missing half the experience.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
Well since a lot are just becoming action games, there's becoming less of a reason to hold off for the twilight hours.
Elian2530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Elian2530
Well since a lot are just becoming action games, there's becoming less of a reason to hold off for the twilight hours. Sepewrath
Hmmm. Good point.
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

I play them whenever I have the time. I see no reason in playing them at night because I see no difference. Most games are just jump out from a corner scares and I see no reason in experiencing those at night.

-eddy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 -eddy-
Member since 2006 • 11443 Posts
I noticed I play Left for Dead mostly at night. It's not something I deliberately do, it just tends to happen. Playing Fallout through the early hours is amazing! I love searching the Wasteland and battling all kindsa wicked monsters at 3 am.
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

I just play them when ever

dudebot12345678
according to your gamertag you havent even played a survival horror game yet :P
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I try to play during the day. I'm too much of a scaredy-cat to play at night :P

But if Alan Wake is as good as everyone says then that won't stop me from playing it at night. I'm looking forward to playing it in a couple weeks.

seankane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 seankane
Member since 2007 • 4076 Posts

I play them whenever I have the time. I see no reason in playing them at night because I see no difference. Most games are just jump out from a corner scares and I see no reason in experiencing those at night.

craigalan23

Its not justabout the 'scares', though. Its about the atmosphere. The tension. The loneliness and bleakness of the situation your character is in.

I hear people say all the time, "No way is Resident Evil scary. Seriously, if you're scared by that, then you're a wuss", or something along those lines. And I think these people miss the point. Its like going on a rollercoaster, and then sitting there with a straight face during the ride and acting unimpressed afterwards. Its not a test of your braveness,its about letting yourself get lost in the moment and ENJOYING the thrill. Some people just think they're cool by saying they dont ever get scared. Not saying thats you, necessarily, just that I think too many people ruin the fun for themselves because of some insecurity about looking good in front of other people.

I try and make games like this as atmospheric as possible, as that seems to be the developer's intentions with the game in the first place. I mean, why else do people play survival horror games anyways?

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

[QUOTE="craigalan23"]

seankane

Its not justabout the 'scares', though. Its about the atmosphere. The tension. The loneliness and bleakness of the situation your character is in.

I hear people say all the time, "No way is Resident Evil scary. Seriously, if you're scared by that, then you're a wuss", or something along those lines. And I think these people miss the point. Its like going on a rollercoaster, and then sitting there with a straight face during the ride and acting unimpressed afterwards. Its not a test of your braveness,its about letting yourself get lost in the moment and ENJOYING the thrill. Some people just think they're cool by saying they dont ever get scared. Not saying thats you, necessarily, just that I think too many people ruin the fun for themselves because of some insecurity about looking good in front of other people.

I try and make games like this as atmospheric as possible, as that seems to be the developer's intentions with the game in the first place. I mean, why else do people play survival horror games anyways?

agreed, sometimes with games you just have to go along for the ride and engage with it while you are there
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

[QUOTE="craigalan23"]

seankane

I just haven't been as scared or tense as I used to be. I remember playing Doom 3 and being so scared that I barely even wanted to enter the next room. Survivor-horror games just haven't been as scary as they used to be to me at least. Dead Space was scary for a few chapters until I realized it was the same scares over and over again. I play at dark, volume turned up, and with the door all the way open so it feels cold to try and get scared but it just doesn't work anymore.

It's rather sad because for a while it was an amazing experience but now it's not the same. I just wish Dead Space was pitch black and the enemies would use that to their advantage. I guess I just prefer barely being able to see my enemy so it's more difficult and scarier.

Edit: I am going to try and turn down the brightness for Dead Space to see if that helps.

TheLatinSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TheLatinSnake
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

of course, i like to get a good scream at night lol

nate_c-12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 nate_c-12
Member since 2008 • 3072 Posts
Rainy Days/ Night time only for me.
Elian2530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Elian2530

[QUOTE="craigalan23"]

seankane

That was sweet poetry. Well said my friend. I tried playing a little bit of Alan Wake today, and it just wasn't the same as I do at night. Just an observation. ;) Indeed. It is all about the atmosphere.

elchiquilin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 elchiquilin
Member since 2005 • 1318 Posts
whenever I can, namely holidays and vacations. I just started dead space and man that game is freaking me out, quite a lot, a friend told me bioshock was also scary but at least for me it wasnt, but dead spaceeeeee, well you get the idea
calicoolguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 calicoolguy
Member since 2005 • 294 Posts

Survival horror games should say on box "for best results PLAY AT NIGHT" makes them 100x better.

BiThBhE0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BiThBhE0
Member since 2008 • 1643 Posts
Yeah, I always play survival horror games at night. Games such as Silent Hill, Dead Space, Condemned and when I pick up Alan Wake. It just makes them that much more enjoyable.
purpleinsect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 purpleinsect
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I don't really have freetime on daytime, so I have to play at night. Which is good! It does make playing horror games more fun. Sitting in the dark.. ;)
laliberte11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41 laliberte11
Member since 2008 • 4246 Posts

nope, a game is a game, i feel no difference during what time i play, except early in the morning or late at night when im tired, then i suck