Do you feel the older you get the worse at games you become?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

corb77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 corb77
Member since 2003 • 464 Posts

Hi im corb and ive been gaming since i was about 3 years old (way back in 89) Ive kept up with gaming through out my life and still game about 15 - 20 hours a week... but... ive hit abit of a wall.. let me explain:

I game online and offline, when i play on xbox live i used to always be in the top 3 on most games i played, but over the last year and a half my skills seem to have dropped massively resulting in me being the worst player on the team. I now find myself doing well about 50% of the time and doing awful the rest of the time.

I spoke to other gamers at work about how they feel and they said they have similer problems and there excuse for doing bad on xbox live is because other people play more than what they do. i feel like thats abit of an excuse but i suppose that as you get older you do get more responsibilitys in life, even i have a wife and a kid on the way as well as a house and a job.... i suppose that i cant always be the best lol just sucks that now i suck lol :(

Dose anyone else feel like they have fell from grace on xbox live or do they feel the older you get the better youve become. please leave your comments

thank you.

djphelps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 djphelps
Member since 2002 • 331 Posts

Mid-30's gamer here. It depends on the game for me. For example, when I first got the XBOX360 with Assassin's Creed, I wasn't able to get the last couple of assassinations because of the difficulty. I recently beat it, and it was much easier this time. I think that I'm currently near the top of my game for single-player type games.

I do, however, struggle mightily with FPSs. I maybe get about 5/hours a week of gaming in. That doesn't give me a lot of time to learn maps, routes, and weapons on games like Blops or MW. That puts me at a big disadvantage over high school/college students who play for 5 hours a week.

corb77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 corb77

I find that on xbox live with games like halo and COD younger gamers tend to camp in hot spots but i tend to run and gun, the reason i do this is because the games i grew up with like "Unreal" and "quake" them games where more strife left and right jump and shoot lol I still do that now on modern games lol

If i play halo on a map with DMR (single shot gun) then i suck, but if i play halo and everyone starts with AR then i do well :)

EmpCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 EmpCom
Member since 2005 • 3451 Posts
As you get older your reflexes slow which has alot to do with it
corb77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 corb77

i Think reflexes depends on how old we are, im 25 not 65 lol

Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts
I'm turning 20 soon and sometimes I also feel that I lost my skills as I'm getting older, but I'm still young so I still have those days where I do play well online, but now I feel that I'm not as good as I was back then. But as for single player I'm finding single player a lot more fun I don't know if that's because of age but I'm just wanting to beat all of my game's campaigns.
EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#7 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

I think the most important point of gaming is having fun. I dont think we should be getting frustrated even sad if our skills decline with age. As far as i know, we are not getting paid to be in the top 3. Just play and have fun, whenever you have time. It's all about the fun (i know it sounds redund now ha). Bragging rights are very subjective and not important at all. As i said, unless you are getting paid, just have fun and don't worry about it.

corb77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 corb77

I think the most important point of gaming is having fun. I dont think we should be getting frustrated even sad if our skills decline with age. As far as i know, we are not getting paid to be in the top 3. Just play and have fun, whenever you have time. It's all about the fun (i know it sounds redund now ha). Bragging rights are very subjective and not important at all. As i said, unless you are getting paid, just have fun and don't worry about it.

EvilSelf

I agree with what your saying but i find it hard to have fun when i'm getting my bum kicked lol though i understand what your saying.

i feel like single player and local co-op with my wife is more fun these days lol :)

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#9 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

[QUOTE="EvilSelf"]

corb77

I agree with what your saying but i find it hard to have fun when i'm getting my bum kicked lol though i understand what your saying.

i feel like single player and local co-op with my wife is more fun these days lol :)

This is exactly what i am doing friend! I get a lot more excitement than playing with 10 year olds on XBL...

Adam_the_Nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Adam_the_Nerd
Member since 2006 • 4403 Posts
Yeah I suck at online fighting and shooter games now because I have no time to play. I'm out of practice, my aim sucks and my timing is off.
godonholiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 godonholiday
Member since 2009 • 379 Posts

I'm 30 and feel like I am actually better at multiplayer games like COD, BFBC etc... What I am finding though is that my prvious anger towards AI in games is easing as I realise the tech is a million miles away from what I would like it to be and I am actually stating to crave a story!! I know crazy huh! Well I still play FPS for the competitiveness, but would love to play in a lobby full of 30+ players. I am starting to get into the Lord of the Rings online as its free and I want to see what playing that type of game is like before I buy the new starwars ones.

In short, I love that gaming has gotten competitive and I feel I can compete, but I am also in search of good stories (Ones that fit into my 80's childish wants)

Also, I would love more 2player co-op games. Portal gave me, my brother and my friends hours of fun.

corb77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 corb77

Its nice to know im not the only one who feels this way lol

Dam getting older lol ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
Member since 2007 • 11536 Posts

im 15 and getting better :P

fadeetoblackk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 fadeetoblackk
Member since 2011 • 459 Posts

Im 19 and I have to say you improve with time. I got halo and my xbox three years ago and played it to all hell. Once I got my skill up as high as it can go I was stuck. I noticed you do get rusty but there is no way your skill level drops a lot. For all the people who played halo 3. I was a 45... when I did not play I made dumb mistake but I could still keep up with 40s just not by much. Time is a big factor but you do not go back being a total noob

berserker2389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 berserker2389
Member since 2010 • 4627 Posts
Not really I'll be 22 in 2 days, and my skill hasn't gone down at all I think. I normally get about 20+kills in cod and used to get around 15 in bfbc2 when I still played it.
mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#16 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts
No. In fact not only do I do well on all modern games but I have found old games I used to find hard much easier.
CaptainBlink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CaptainBlink
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I felt that same way, until the last couple years. I am 26 going on 27 going to the gym and just being active to do things to help maintain my reflexes and health and make me feel lively instead of tired from work then I feel like I do better when I play online games. If I come home tired and try to play then I am just horrible.
YoungSinatra25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 YoungSinatra25
Member since 2009 • 4314 Posts

Nope. I get better TBH. The way I look at it is itsnot how you play but how you think. And I think FPS's...

I too am a crazy eighties baby and my only gripe is my eyes aren't what they use to be. It's kinda why I stick to CQC run and gunshotgunning.

NoDzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 NoDzombie
Member since 2009 • 1483 Posts

i dont think its the actual getting older that makes us worse its more all the stuff we have to do now that we are older, having all the responsibilities like a job and a family or whatever tires us out, so when we play our reactions and decision making is just not as good

for example:

if i play during the week in the evenings after i have been to work and had a bunch of stuff to do i usually am average at best, but if i play at the weekends when i have not been to work and am properly rested then im usually just as good as i ever was

piranha_inc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 piranha_inc
Member since 2005 • 1994 Posts
Not really, I've been as bad as I am right now since pretty much ever. On the other hand, having two younger brothers made realize younger generations have better skills at gaming and it's very easy for them to pick up a game and be very good at it in little to no time. So I think we have a disadvantage
Avatar image for HilbillyRokstar
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 HilbillyRokstar
Member since 2007 • 3236 Posts
I try to make up for any reflex deficiencies by being smarter and more tactical in my gameplay. At 47 I'm usually near the top of the kill chart, and on Bad Co 2, my team of old guys almost always are 1st or 2nd in squad deathmatch (the youngest guy is in his 30s). You have a long way to go before you need to start using age as an excuse.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Online gaming doesn't really count: there's too many factors hampering your performance (lag, other people's lag, hackers, cheaters...). Wanna test your skills for real? Play CoD4 on Veteran or Serious Sam on Serious difficulty. Then you'll see how good you really are
mrsniper83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

#23 mrsniper83
Member since 2009 • 1552 Posts
Actually Its the opposite for me,since I have been getting older(27 now)I find that Im way better than I was when I was a kid.When I was a kid i just played the games,now with games like oblivion,wow,fallout,there would have been no way I could have done that...but thats just me.
atm0073

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 atm0073
Member since 2005 • 3069 Posts
I'd say overall, I've gotten better over time. The average amount of time I spend playing videogames has been very sporadic the last few years (especially this past senior year of high school, where I basically stopped playing for a year), but when I started playing again this summer, I noticed I was a lot more "mature" in my playing style and decision making in games like Halo. Before I'd suffer from things like constantly negative KDRs, and now, I almost always go significantly positive, play on high sensitivities, et cetera... I'm just much more aware, I guess. So playing on and off over the years probably worked to my advantage.
corb77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 corb77

Online gaming doesn't really count: there's too many factors hampering your performance (lag, other people's lag, hackers, cheaters...). Wanna test your skills for real? Play CoD4 on Veteran or Serious Sam on Serious difficulty. Then you'll see how good you really areBlack_Knight_00

Whats funny is ive finish alot of single player games on the hardist difficlty lol

I was talking to the wife about sucking online and she said she thinks its cos i lie on my back and game rather that sit up lol? is that a problem lol

Though i think it dose have alot to do with being tied after work and other things, mabye i need to relax more lol :)

stepheng77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 stepheng77
As a 40 yr old gamer who grew up in $.10 arcades & has owned Intelivsion, Coleco, Nintendo, Sega, Super Nintendo, PS1, PS2, PS3, Wii, Xbox & 360, I have to unfortunately say yes. That is the exact reason I search out small advantages to keep me competitive in the online world. The best, by far, is my FragFX Shark.
SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
I'm turning 20 soon and sometimes I also feel that I lost my skills as I'm getting older, but I'm still young so I still have those days where I do play well online, but now I feel that I'm not as good as I was back then. But as for single player I'm finding single player a lot more fun I don't know if that's because of age but I'm just wanting to beat all of my game's campaigns.Sweetbackhair
20? You are YOUNG! :)
Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts
[QUOTE="Sweetbackhair"]I'm turning 20 soon and sometimes I also feel that I lost my skills as I'm getting older, but I'm still young so I still have those days where I do play well online, but now I feel that I'm not as good as I was back then. But as for single player I'm finding single player a lot more fun I don't know if that's because of age but I'm just wanting to beat all of my game's campaigns.SoAmazingBaby
20? You are YOUNG! :)

Haha yeah I still am young, people would probably kill to be 20 again. But there's those times where I just think I'm not that good anymore at this game as I was when I was 15 or so. But yeah I still am a young adult but before I know it I'll be 30 and then 40.
Chogyam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Chogyam
Member since 2003 • 1887 Posts

30. Nope, i am not getting worse.

CaptainBlink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 CaptainBlink

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Online gaming doesn't really count: there's too many factors hampering your performance (lag, other people's lag, hackers, cheaters...). Wanna test your skills for real? Play CoD4 on Veteran or Serious Sam on Serious difficulty. Then you'll see how good you really arecorb77

Whats funny is ive finish alot of single player games on the hardist difficlty lol

I was talking to the wife about sucking online and she said she thinks its cos i lie on my back and game rather that sit up lol? is that a problem lol

Though i think it dose have alot to do with being tied after work and other things, mabye i need to relax more lol :)

I think so, when your on your back your in a submissive relaxed state. When your standing or sitting up your more attentive and faster to react. Playing games like Oblivion and L.A. Noire, Fable, ect playing on your back is prob the best it doesn't require assertive reflexes. If you notice when people are excited or their adrenaline is going they are standing or sitting on the edge of their seat.
Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Nope as ive gotten older im 42 now..Games are getting wattered down..When i was like 9 games took me weeks to finish..Today you can beat a game in 4 days and this is just sad and pathetic on how games have gone..Its been sad to me lately that devs are making games shorter rather than longer..Its like when they put out a game for five years to develop it..Than they come and say oh its only 10 hours..Like wtf where you guys doing for 4 to 5 years??Its why games like gta, mass effect, dragon age, skyrim, diablo..There some of my favorite games...Shame really hope this changes some day..Oh btw beat most of my games today also..Back in the day baldurs gate was a challenge today there not..

hkhatir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hkhatir
Member since 2009 • 590 Posts

I think it has to do more with having wayyy more tinme to game the younger you are, not having a job or responsibilities than simply diminishing skills due to age.

Peanutbutterz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Peanutbutterz
Member since 2011 • 219 Posts

I think it has to do more with having wayyy more tinme to game the younger you are, not having a job or responsibilities than simply diminishing skills due to age.

hkhatir

Yeah true but for example, I can step away from CoD for months and still be good. Granted, I'm not saying I'm just as good as I was when I stepped away from the game, but I'm like 1.65k/d good after a hiatus until I get back acclimated to my sensitivty settings, etc... With that being said, I'm nowhere as good at Halo as I used to be. Halo is not a game I can step away from too long or my skills greatly dimish. Either that or I just overrated myself while I was playing often, haha.

T_Vol_Cowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 T_Vol_Cowboy
Member since 2010 • 119 Posts

I am in my mid 40s. I don't think I am that much worse, but I do believe that it depends on the game style. With single player games, i am still as good as I always was. FPS online, it appears that I am at a disadvantage. I can't tell if it is because of the supposed "lag-switch" or "aim-bot"...or if my relexes have just slowed. (Before anyone blazes me for complaining...I dont't know if lag-switches or aimbots exist, I just hear people complain about it.) I have a 1.25 ratio on Blackops and I wish it were higher but sometimes I get in rooms where a guy goes 35-2 and I am just amazed.

CaptainBlink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 CaptainBlink

Nope as ive gotten older im 42 now..Games are getting wattered down..When i was like 9 games took me weeks to finish..Today you can beat a game in 4 days and this is just sad and pathetic on how games have gone..Its been sad to me lately that devs are making games shorter rather than longer..Its like when they put out a game for five years to develop it..Than they come and say oh its only 10 hours..Like wtf where you guys doing for 4 to 5 years??Its why games like gta, mass effect, dragon age, skyrim, diablo..There some of my favorite games...Shame really hope this changes some day..Oh btw beat most of my games today also..Back in the day baldurs gate was a challenge today there not..

Gladestone1
Remember when you only started with 3 lives and if you died you had to start all over.
zombehhhhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 zombehhhhh
Member since 2011 • 456 Posts
It depends. For things like Halo, that's true for me. When I first got Halo 3, I was amazing at it (after a week or so obviously). Now, when I play Halo 3 or Reach, I rarely get in the top three places where as before I used to constantly be first or second. However, for singleplayer games like GTA or Red Dead Redemption, I seem to be more engaged in the story. I guess it just depends, but I see what you mean.
FPSDad1161

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 FPSDad1161
Member since 2011 • 814 Posts

I feel that way sometimes. I've pretty much given up on fighting games because there's no way I'm going to remember a bunch of long asscombos and infinites much less be able to pull them off. I can still do well in shooters, but that's always been my main genre of games. It's something that worries me though as I've been gaming since I was about three back on the Commodore 64 and Atari 2600 (I'm 26 now), and I would like to be gaming as long as possible. I'm worried there will be a point where I can't play games anymore, and that just don't sound like living to me.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#40 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

nope , i just played zombies ate my nieghbors , and got to level 25 in the playthrough,

thats better then when i was younger ,

i always got stuck at level 20 , -the one with the snakes , i never c o uld beat it ,

and in gta iv ,

i think i gotten better especally in the races and gta races section

sure i have dry spells where i end up near last but most other times im in first 2nd or 3rd ,

and i actually had a streak going of 4 wins ,in a row, before ending up in 4th

in2DarKneSs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#41 in2DarKneSs
Member since 2006 • 233 Posts

I find that games requiring skill due to their datedness get me lately. When I was younger, I fought the mister X tyrant in RE 2 and beat him despite his speed and the games tank controls. I recently got there on my PS3 and for the life of me can't remaster the tank controls so I can land a lasting hit. Same with the first Tenchu, I can still beat the level, but the archaic control scheme is too much for me to master again to get grand master on these levels. It makes me sad because PSone era games are still some of my favorites.

PoKeZeMuNKyZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PoKeZeMuNKyZ
Member since 2011 • 49 Posts
It might not be your skill falling...it might just be that you're actually meeting people who may in fact be better? o_O
kai_311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 kai_311
Member since 2004 • 444 Posts

I dont think so, I feel like I'm getting better every day :Dbesides back then I tried to avoid complex games but now I'm enjoying them.