Do Reviews really F up a game???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

e2116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 e2116
Member since 2007 • 33 Posts
Im about tired of people sayin there not going to get for example shadowrun because of the bad rep.  I love the game i think it might be one of the best games released. But so many people arent even giving it a try because someone played the game for 10 mins and wrote a review of it...So this is to everyone if you see a game and you think you might like a game...at least rent it and give it a shot instead of going on what other people say..
ag1002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 ag1002
Member since 2004 • 13499 Posts
I read the reviews instead of just look at the number.  The demo is supposed to be coming out tomorrow or something, so we can find out for ourselves if it's really fun or not.
Bdking57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Bdking57
Member since 2005 • 1320 Posts

Im about tired of people sayin there not going to get for example shadowrun because of the bad rep.  I love the game i think it might be one of the best games released. But so many people arent even giving it a try because someone played the game for 10 mins and wrote a review of it...So this is to everyone if you see a game and you think you might like a game...at least rent it and give it a shot instead of going on what other people say..e2116
yes they do....if the reviews were reversed everyone would be playing shadowrun instead of forza 2. The fact is shadowrun is a not that great a value right now, but its super fun.... the lack of many features that could be in the game get criticism, but its more fun then forza anyway you look at it.

When you own fast expensive sports cars already forza just seems... well boring, but its more of a long term investment, I will plat it of and on for the entire life of the 360.

DevilMustCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DevilMustCry
Member since 2005 • 1222 Posts

Reviews turn off alot of potential buyers.

I am one of them, I was on the fence about Shadowrun so I waited for a review to reinforce my decision. The review has made me decide the game is not worth buying, I will check out the demo to see if it convinces me otherwise.

It shouldn't matter much whether people buy Shadowrun or not all that should matter is that your enjoying it.

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
I agree with the review.... but it doesn't have that large of an impact on sales outside fo gamespot... the biggest factor in game sales imo is word of mouth... which this may influence, but it might not.... either way it's probably not a significant amount. Reviews on the whole have more sway. I happen to buy games regardless of a review, but I do keep what they say about the games in my mind when making my decision. I bought Shadowrun, I've tried to love it, but I just can't. I like it, but the problems and lack of effort on the devs' part are very noticable. Just remember what reviews mean. 6+ is Fair, 7+ is GOOD, 8+ is Great, etc. This game is nearly good according to the review, and I feel that that's a very correct way of describing it. Shadowrun is almost good.
iloverikku11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 iloverikku11
Member since 2005 • 11039 Posts
i've given up trying to convince SR is best game of 2007. o well, more for me.
martin_f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 martin_f
Member since 2005 • 2605 Posts
Read the review, read the counter strike review they are both the same only different scores. I no longer trust game scores I haven't played Shadowrun but my friend assures me its great however when we went to pick up some copies they had none in stock.
If there were two reviews I could change on Gamespot it would be Dead Rising to AAA status and Saints Rowto AAA status too.
raito666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 raito666
Member since 2007 • 47 Posts
I used to trust reviews but i decided a while ago it would be better to try the games out for myself, since everyone has a different taste and oppinions you cant just trust 1 review. 
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Staryoshi87

Read the review, read the counter strike review they are both the same only different scores. I no longer trust game scores I haven't played Shadowrun but my friend assures me its great however when we went to pick up some copies they had none in stock.
If there were two reviews I could change on Gamespot it would be Dead Rising to AAA status and Saints Rowto AAA status too.martin_f

How much did CS cost? it was free for me.

Strife88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 Strife88
Member since 2005 • 6073 Posts

I don't think they do. If a game interests you before launch then It's worth checking out. The reviews are just there to tell you It's strong points and where It needs to pick up for a more successful second game. The only way a game does well is by word from others and not by one individuals review of a game.

WraithsLotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 WraithsLotus
Member since 2005 • 554 Posts

Yah they do, you get retards like this guy

http://www.gamespot.com/users/K1LLSWITCH/

that base there opinion on a game review, silly noobs

fore_runner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 fore_runner
Member since 2004 • 8704 Posts

They have to play the game for at least 10 hours...with this type anyway (games like Oblivion would require much more time).

You need to realize that reviews aren't about how much "fun" the game is, but whether or not it's worth your hard-earned dollar. And with Shadowrun have a severe lack of content, it would be hard for any reviewer to justify you spending your money. 

bullfrogj3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bullfrogj3
Member since 2003 • 896 Posts

Reviews are there to help the consumer make an informed decision before they drop $60 on a game. No more, no less. 

What I don't understand is why I should trust your opinion over all the game critics in North America. I mean, isn't your whole point that people should just buy every game that comes out sight unseen? Thanks, but no. You feel free to have fun with that concept, and enjoy all those Mary-Kate and Ashley games, cause you KNOW the reviewers are full of it and are just haters. 

Shadowrun is average at best, just because we gamers are desperte for something new doesn't mean we need to eat **** sandwiches and claim they tatse like cavier. 

zero9167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 zero9167
Member since 2005 • 14554 Posts

i've given up trying to convince SR is best game of 2007. o well, more for me.iloverikku11
im all for shadowrun but LOL out of 2007?! i think maybe you meant best game of summer 2007 :P  i bet if shadowrun was $10 cheaper it would have gotten AA

twixdude69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 twixdude69
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
shadowrun rules short and to the point check out the review i gave it on the shadowrun page
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Staryoshi87

They have to play the game for at least 10 hours...with this type anyway (games like Oblivion would require much more time).

You need to realize that reviews aren't about how much "fun" the game is, but whether or not it's worth your hard-earned dollar. And with Shadowrun have a severe lack of content, it would be hard for any reviewer to justify you spending your money. 

fore_runner

Yep, I was going to say something to this effect. They measure its technical attributes... since they can't measure how much fun someone will have with it.

zer0sil3nce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 zer0sil3nce
Member since 2007 • 237 Posts
simple answer, if you want it to.
dragoon133

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dragoon133
Member since 2006 • 754 Posts

Personally I just leave it for a couple of weeks after the games released then look around on the boards for that particular game (aswell as the 'You Say' score here on GS but usually only if it's been around for awhile, let more people vote and first impressions wear off).

I still read the reviews but I'd rather listen to what other players think, rather than reviewers who tend to look at the games without taking into consideration the 'fun factor'. But then that's their job so you can't really blame them. They're paid to be objective and present the facts.

celticcrago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 celticcrago
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
I rarely use reviews for the be all end all but I do take what is written into consideration...but the beauty thing about Live is the option of releasing demos...download the demo...if it sucks stay away...nuff said.
Avatar image for RadioactiveApeX
RadioactiveApeX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 RadioactiveApeX
Member since 2006 • 80 Posts
I tend to agree with reviews, but i never follow them EXACTLY, i just take what they say into consideration.  If the problems that the reviewer has with the game seem unfair (like a lot of Wii games being taken down for graphics when the system is just not capable of producing the graphics that compare to the 360 or PS3) i just ignore it.  But since most of Gamespot's reviews come AFTER the reviewer has played the ENTIRE game (or so it seems) i think it's a good source of judgment because a lot of games are great for the first couple of hours, but then sort of dwindle to crap after that.
Hashbrowns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Hashbrowns
Member since 2003 • 492 Posts

If Shadowrun had been released as a budget title, say at $30 or $40, the score would have risen a tad, and rightfully so.  I've posted the following in another thread already, but it applies here fairly well.

I'd prefer that reviewers err on the side of negativity.  I think a reviewer should do his or her best to expose EVERY SINGLE flaw of ANY game.  As a consumer, I want to know about any possible downside to my purchase, no matter how trivial.  I'd rather rent a game and find out it's better than a reviewer thought than BUY a game that was lauded and discover a slew of problems that make me hate it.

You want cheerleaders for a game?  Go to the game's website.  Think of a score not as an advertisement to encourage your purchase, but as a warning of what might not be as advertised.

Reviewers are the warning signs of entertainment:  You don't need a traffic sign to tell you that the next 10 miles are FREE of deer, do you?

e2116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 e2116
Member since 2007 • 33 Posts
My mistake to this forum was giving a spefic title.  I was just seeing if everyone thought like me and believed that reviews can really screw up a game..but on the side of shadowrun....i happen to work at gamestop,,  on the day shadowrun was relased we sold every single copie in less than 5 hours...o yea we had 300 copies..a little over 200 were reserved..