Do people just play for the achievements?

• 101 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

wesprater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 wesprater
Member since 2008 • 106 Posts

I was wonderin if and why most people play for achievements and their gamer score. i mean does it really matter? I like just playin for the fun of it. What does everone else do????

chefstubbies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 chefstubbies
Member since 2007 • 2583 Posts

Who plays only for achievements?

wesprater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 wesprater
I no some ppl that do...it is sad right
Avatar image for Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 Smokescreened84
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts

I game to fight my disability, the achivements I might earn on a 360 game in the process are just a little bonus.

R/T

punisher41542o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 punisher41542o
Member since 2003 • 194 Posts

i play for the achevments and i dont know why. i guess is a whole play for goals, i mean it would be cool if they did something like unlock clothes for your avatar or something. But i guess bragging rights are cool to.

ish27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 ish27
Member since 2006 • 1003 Posts

Sometimes when I'm bored of CSS and TF2 on PC, and bored of FIFA 09, NBA 2K9, CoD5 on 360, I'll play some old games and try to get some achievements. But I don't go all out "achievement hording".....

Rasika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Rasika
Member since 2004 • 488 Posts

I play the game for the fun of it, never think about the achievements. They just come as someone earlier said, its just a bonus.

doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 29

#8 doubalfa
Member since 2006 • 7108 Posts
I like getting the achievements of the games I own but I wont kill myself or have a less enjoyable experience to get them, example: if you play mass effect and are going for the achievements on your first run you might ruin your experience
creepy_mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 creepy_mike
Member since 2007 • 1092 Posts

I honestly don't care about achievements or gamerscore in the slightest, but then I've never been much of a "points for the sake of points" person to begin with, even in the 8-bit days. Unless these points or achievements translate into actual in-game benefits or unlockables, my only goals in a game are 1) have fun, and 2) see the ending, in that order.

Avatar image for deactivated-57f6810aefea1
deactivated-57f6810aefea1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 deactivated-57f6810aefea1
Member since 2009 • 497 Posts

i dont really care about achievements... im more concerned by the fact that achievements mean that i cant transfer save games between profiles. thats totally lame. and i cant merge profiles either. thats totally lame too. if it wasnt for achiements we wouldnt have this problem.

pulica_muistul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 pulica_muistul
Member since 2005 • 404 Posts

I swear I don't even know what those freakin thing are good for...so I don't care...I play cause I like games, not achivements

sToK3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sToK3d
Member since 2006 • 418 Posts
Yeah, I don't really care about achievements. Once in a while, I'll go out and try to get one as a challenge. But I don't try to get all of them.
Jdog30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jdog30
Member since 2008 • 4509 Posts
i play Halo 3 all day because it's fun. but one week i decided to get all the acheivments in Halo 3 and i ended up getting 1000 gamerscore from Halo 3.
DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DJ_Magneto
Member since 2008 • 4675 Posts
Some people enjoy trying to earn achievement points and some people don't. Just leave it at that. If you don't care about them, then that's fine. Some people are obsessed with them and that's fine too. However, sometimes looking at the list and attempting some of the achievements will make you play the game differently than you would have before which does add a whole layer of replayability to most games. Gears 2 for example: There is an achievement for meleeing tickers a certain number of times. I wouldn't have thought about trying that. Now I find that it's the best way to keep them from blowing up right next to you instead of shooting them.
bmassarani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#15 bmassarani
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
I think it depends on the game. For something like Street Fighter, or a game where most of the achievements are gained from repetition I dont care. But on games like Fallout3 I use the achievements as a guide to know I have done everything notable in the game. It's rare that I will go back through a game just to get all the points.
tinkles87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tinkles87
Member since 2005 • 155 Posts

Not to get technical but if there are story driven achievements you are technically playing for achievements. Anyways I only play for achievements if it seems like it's fun or if I'm bored.

paulokoenigkam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17 paulokoenigkam
Member since 2005 • 3930 Posts

Depends on the achievement. Some of them are actually fun challenges, others are simply a chore, and others are absurd boring, beyond annoying.

Good achievement -> Finish a game in the hardest difficulty, Defeat an "X" enemy (hopefully an enemy you don't NEED to kill), finish a survival mode with over "X" score...

Chore achievement -> Find collectibles that do NOTHING besides giving you the achievement (if they give you something else, may be a good achievement). Example: Gears 1 cog tags is a chore. Halo 3 skulls is good. COD 4's intel and COD: WaW death cards are good too.

Annoying achievement -> Stupid things that either take a very long time to get, or are simply stupid. Example: Knocking down trees in Battlefield Bad Company (maniac lumberjack I think), Seriously in Gears 1 and 2, Zombie Genocidest in L4D.

doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 29

#18 doubalfa
Member since 2006 • 7108 Posts
annoying achievements=online achievements good achievements= most of half life achievements in the orange box
paulokoenigkam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 paulokoenigkam
[QUOTE="doubalfa"]annoying achievements=online achievements good achievements= most of half life achievements in the orange box

oh yeah I forgot how annoying and mostly luck dependant online achievements are
LessThanMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LessThanMike
Member since 2002 • 5364 Posts
my roommate only plays so he can try and beat my score
atm0073

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 atm0073
Member since 2005 • 3069 Posts
I don't play for Achievements really, but I do recognize and pay attention to them. I try to get as many as I can without completely ruining the purpose of playing the games they pertain to in the first place. But I mean, say, for example, I were randomly disabled from getting Achievements. That wouldn't make me want to stop playing Xbox or anything.
gow117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gow117
Member since 2008 • 2963 Posts
the achievements are fun but thats not the reason i play games, but sadly people do it, but w.e. but that popping juicy achievement is always good. :D
Night-Wolf93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Night-Wolf93
Member since 2006 • 1260 Posts

people who only play to get achievements are noobs....i know a friend who has a modded xbox360 and he buys games for under $6 just to get Achievemnts,,and his score is around 34640

wesprater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 wesprater
I don't play for Achievements really, but I do recognize and pay attention to them. I try to get as many as I can without completely ruining the purpose of playing the games they pertain to in the first place. But I mean, say, for example, I were randomly disabled from getting Achievements. That wouldn't make me want to stop playing Xbox or anything.atm0073
Listen to this dude........wise words, very truthful
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

I was wonderin if and why most people play for achievements and their gamer score. i mean does it really matter?

wesprater

As opposed to gaming normally, which does matter?

I like just playin for the fun of it.

wesprater

Stay with me here, but I'm guessing that people who play for achievements derive some satisfaction from it, and therefore are playing for fun.

DoeJohn531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DoeJohn531
Member since 2004 • 142 Posts

I play the games I really enjoy for acheivments, but if I am playing a game that is not really fun, I will just beat the story and forget the acheivments.

Side note:

I did borrow all of the old Madden games from a friend so I could sim seasons for acheivments... Sad I know.

-eddy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 -eddy-
Member since 2006 • 11443 Posts
I play a lot for the Achievements but the main thing first is always the game itself.
-eddy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 -eddy-

[QUOTE="wesprater"]

I was wonderin if and why most people play for achievements and their gamer score. i mean does it really matter?

Palantas

As opposed to gaming normally, which does matter?

wesprater

Stay with me here, but I'm guessing that people who play for achievements derive some satisfaction from it, and therefore are playing for fun.

Indeed indeed. People who dislike Ach's must think that we do the stupidest things for our dissatisfaction. Why do you think we spend hours on utter garbage? Because of the prize in the end of the road!
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

[QUOTE="I"]

[QUOTE="wesprater"]

-eddy-

Indeed indeed. People who dislike Ach's must think that we do the stupidest things for our dissatisfaction. Why do you think we spend hours on utter garbage? Because of the prize in the end of the road!

I bumped into a guy on this forum that used that exact argument. He decided that anyone who plays for achievements was actually making themselves miserable and derived zero satisfaction from the experience. (Naturally, he could never describe the reasoning behind this conclusion in any cogent fashion.) I pointed out that if someone's doing something in their free time of their own free will, they're probably getting something out of it. Some people can't seem to understand that a hobby can be goal-oriented.

Avatar image for Freezing_Knight
Freezing_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 Freezing_Knight
Member since 2005 • 238 Posts

I always play for the fun of the game, although I check the achievements sometime and try them for a while to see if they're fun enough to keep playin. :D

paulokoenigkam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 paulokoenigkam
I love getting an achievement. Just LOVE IT. Sometimes I'll even hunt for one, but there are achievements that aren't worth getting. While I'm not an achievement addict, I really like them, and I see why people are addicted. I like in game rewards better though. (Extra guns, clothes, endings...)
Onebadmonkey2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Onebadmonkey2
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
People can't argue "I play for the fun of the game, but achievements are good too." Achievements ARE part of the game, so to a lot of people, they are fun. It also is a very amazing and innovative way to competitively compare games played and progress with your friends. People like different things, and neither side should be looked down upon. I enjoy playing the games for the achievements once I have beaten them. It gives the game more to do and adds value.
Andrn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Andrn
Member since 2008 • 2098 Posts
I play for the game itself, not the Achievements, but after I beat the game, or while I'm beating the game, I will sometimes go out of my way to get some Achievements.
mrhuntin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34 mrhuntin
Member since 2007 • 750 Posts

I have heard people buy games just for the achievements, but it kind of weird and crazy for people to play games just for the achievements.That wasting good games. :?

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

Achievements are a nice bonus for me. They mean absolutely nothing but I find it fun unlocking as many points as I can. I have paid for an unlimited rentals for a month at blockbuster last summer when my temporary job wasn't working out so well and I rented quite a few games just for points but I made sure to play all the games I really wanted to play regardless of points as well.

Call me an achievement wh*re, whatever, haha.

iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
i don't, i don't even try to get them. if i do then i do.
raylewisnfl52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 raylewisnfl52
Member since 2005 • 7146 Posts
I dont but I do go for all the achevements I can get before putting a game on the shelf. I think achevements make a game last a lot longer.
vibrantdesign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 vibrantdesign
Member since 2008 • 530 Posts

I know what you're saying, I've ran across people who would play for achievements. I remember it happen quite often in the original Gears of War, they'd have achievement matches.

Crocodile_Key

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39 Crocodile_Key
Member since 2003 • 224 Posts

i play for fun, and only play games that i enjoy. that being said i enjoy the achievements and think it is a great addition to normal gameplay. it adds more replayability for me, becuase i will play something i like longer to get the achievements

p00phead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 p00phead
Member since 2007 • 1203 Posts

Some people do play for just achievements I am not one of those people

Cybiotik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Cybiotik
Member since 2006 • 1638 Posts

I play the game for story, imerssion, fun, multiplayer and achievements. I like to finihs my games 100% or else I dont feel that I played my full moneys worth.

a_ethier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 a_ethier
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

i usually never play to get the achievments but i like it in the sense that once you beat a game there is still more to do, your never really "complete" and its just fun to try and get some, except lame ones like in gears (seriously 2.0- c'mon, seriously)

woodyhou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 woodyhou
Member since 2003 • 335 Posts

I play mostly for fun, I'm not interested in unlocking every single achievement for every game. It is cool though when one pops up, I'll go see what it is. I'd say that's the main reason why I play more xbox and not ps3.

Proto-K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Proto-K
Member since 2009 • 71 Posts

I don't understand why people make threads like these. Anyway, Achievements add replay value to a game. Dead Rising for example, the 5 day survivor achievement is worthy of getting. and it tells you to play infinte mode.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#45 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

I don't understand why people make threads like these. Anyway, Achievements add replay value to a game. Dead Rising for example, the 5 day survivor achievement is worthy of getting. and it tells you to play infinte mode.

Proto-K
not for the amount of consecutive hours you have to play it isnt, and people can make threads of whatever they want (in reason) and u arent one to tell them otherwise
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

To me most aren't fun to get so i never go for them. Though i wont lie some are fun like Mass effect for killing i believe 150 enemies with a certain weapon. Gave me an excuse to go around blasting people in the head with the shotgun again.

rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts

I don't really play for achievements, but I don't see what's wrong with it. Personally I look at it like the old arcade games, I mean really people then used to play to put a higher number on a screen. And even then the arcades would reset the machine and in the process wiping out the top score so you were left with nothing.

I don't see the problem with looking at achievements as a game in themselves just like said arcade games. You can have skill to get achievements, you can have "exploits" to boost your achievements and you can "cheat" to do the same. Sounds just like an arcade games high score to me, and well.... to be fair that's pretty much what got us to the point in gaming we are today....

We owe our thanks to achievements, now ask yourself, have you told your achievements how much you appreciate them lately?

OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts

I play the games I do because they look / are fun to me. Sometimes I'll go out of my way to get achievements, but I don't play just to get achievements.

-eddy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 -eddy-

I have heard people buy games just for the achievements, but it kind of weird and crazy for people to play games just for the achievements.That wasting good games. :?

mrhuntin
Playing a game makes it go to waste? A lot of games have been saved from abyss by their easy Achievements.
PrincePwnStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 PrincePwnStar
Member since 2006 • 409 Posts

Most the time, I only use achievements for replay value. I might beat a game. Then go back and try and do some of the achievments that I didn't get by just playing through the first time. Halo 3 caters to those people who only play for achievements, like the 7 achievement. Enter a ranked match ranked 7 on the 7th day.......really come on now!