Do new Xbox 360's scratch discs?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Naturalselectio
Naturalselectio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Naturalselectio
Member since 2005 • 308 Posts

I am really OCD about scratched discs and treat them with total care. I went to put one of my games on eBay which I had since the Xbox 360launch but noticed that it had a perfect ring scratched around the edge so had to put this in the description. I never move my consoles when on and was a bit bemused, subsequently I checked my disks and sure enough the older ones all had scratched rings in the same place around the edge with differing severity. I put this down to them being used on my old launch Xbox 360, however on inspecting Modern Warfare 2(used a lot)which has only been used on my new Xbox 360(the one with HDMI) there are signs of it getting scratched finely in the same position. I want to know if other people are finding this even on their new 360's, just hold the disksunder a light to check. Seriously thinking aboutabandoning the Xbox 360 now, after so many red rings and now this.

Avatar image for DamianAlexander
DamianAlexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DamianAlexander
Member since 2008 • 3762 Posts

That's really weird. I've owned three Xbox's so far and none of them have scratched any of my disc. Most if not all of my disc are in perfect condition and if there is a scratch on it I wouldn't blame the system but myself for perhaps getting it a little scratched while swapping disc.

Naturalselectio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Naturalselectio

That's really weird. I've owned three Xbox's so far and none of them have scratched any of my disc. Most if not all of my disc are in perfect condition and if there is a scratch on it I wouldn't blame the system but myself for perhaps getting it a little scratched while swapping disc.

DamianAlexander
These are like perfect circles around the whole edge of the discs not the normal sort of scuffs that you sometimes get from removing the discs.
Avatar image for DamianAlexander
DamianAlexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DamianAlexander
Member since 2008 • 3762 Posts

[QUOTE="DamianAlexander"]

Naturalselectio

These are like perfect circles around the whole edge of the discs not the normal sort of scuffs that you sometimes get from removing the discs.

Nope, not on any of my games. Not in my three years of owning Xboxs.

ParkCarsHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 ParkCarsHere
Member since 2004 • 3556 Posts

Interesting. All of my disks seem to be fine, of the ones that I still use. I had a launch 360 initially, but when it got the RROD they sent me a "newer" one which is still about two years old now. So far no issues.

I don't think it matters, but I also have my console in the vertical position which, in my opinion, is the most dangerous position to have it in!

I always believed that the ring scratches on disks were simply because people moved their consoles with a disk inside, which you said you didn't do. A lot of this happens when people switch from vertical to horizontal while playing, or vice versa. My rule of thumb is to not even look at the 360 console... ever. It has a habit of breaking a bit too easy...

pablohammy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 pablohammy
Member since 2009 • 488 Posts

my mw2 game broke and i had to get a replacement becasuse the clear middle ring cracked.

Naturalselectio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Naturalselectio

my mw2 game broke and i had to get a replacement becasuse the clear middle ring cracked.

pablohammy
Never had this problem on my 360. Had a CD ROM disc years ago with a crack on the clear bit of Command and Conquer Generals disk on my PC, EA were spot on sent a new disk no charge when I sent my original one in.
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

You don't necessarily have to move the xbox while its on. The discs are spinning fast enough that any kind of vibration can make a slight ring on them. It's weird that ALL of your games have it though... Do you keep your xbox vertical or horizontal? If its vertical that might be the problem.

Naturalselectio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Naturalselectio

You don't necessarily have to move the xbox while its on. The discs are spinning fast enough that any kind of vibration can make a slight ring on them. It's weird that ALL of your games have it though... Do you keep your xbox vertical or horizontal? If its vertical that might be the problem.

firefox59
Not all the games have, what I meant was all the games used with my original xbox 360 have the scratched circle. I did have my new xbox 360 vertical for a time (needed the space) and funnily enough when MW2 came out I had it that way. I just can't believe it would have moved enough to scratch the disc, if it has that is a serious design flaw.
balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 balfe1990
Member since 2009 • 6747 Posts

Its laser burn man, its from the Xbox's eye (i.e. the thing that reads the disc) as far as I know...

Its notorious across all Xbox models and usually only happens when the Xbox is moved (on or off) with a disc in the tray...

If the discs are workin then you've got nothing to worry about but laser burn generally renders them unreadable and the only way around that is to get them professionally resurfaced for a few quid

-eddy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -eddy-
Member since 2006 • 11443 Posts
FFS, what does it matter if there are rings on your discs as long as they work. Do you use them as mirrors to shave in the morning? As for your question. I recently bought a new unit and new games I've played on it have no rings on the disc. Some of my older games have a very faint wee ring on them but not something I'da noticed unless really checking. Only games from 2007 have visible scratches but they all still work.
Naturalselectio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Naturalselectio
FFS, what does it matter if there are rings on your discs as long as they work. Do you use them as mirrors to shave in the morning? As for your question. I recently bought a new unit and new games I've played on it have no rings on the disc. Some of my older games have a very faint wee ring on them but not something I'da noticed unless really checking. Only games from 2007 have visible scratches but they all still work.-eddy-
I can see your point of view mate but it makes it difficult to sell them on eBay.
fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

Do you put your 360 horizontally or vertically? Avoid putting it vertically by all means.

-eddy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 -eddy-
Member since 2006 • 11443 Posts
[QUOTE="-eddy-"]FFS, what does it matter if there are rings on your discs as long as they work. Do you use them as mirrors to shave in the morning? As for your question. I recently bought a new unit and new games I've played on it have no rings on the disc. Some of my older games have a very faint wee ring on them but not something I'da noticed unless really checking. Only games from 2007 have visible scratches but they all still work.Naturalselectio
I can see your point of view mate but it makes it difficult to sell them on eBay.

No it doesn't, trust me. If someone is willing to buy an USED game on EBAY they're not gonna care about a tiny wee scratch. Used goods market is always full of, well used, goods. You have to go on the assumption that product there isn't as good as new. Just sayin'
atc-fanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 atc-fanatic
Member since 2009 • 973 Posts

scratches on the disks are caused by fools moving the 306 while the game disk is in and spinning!!! the crack in the center of the disk are caused by lousy cases that wont release the disks!!!!!

Naturalselectio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Naturalselectio

Do you put your 360 horizontally or vertically? Avoid putting it vertically by all means.

fend_oblivion
I think you're right, I had my new 360 vertical for a while and thats whats caused it. Must only take the slightest bit of vibration like knocking the tv cabinet for it to scratch the disks. Will keep it horizontal and cross my fingers, hopefully (if they are making it) the Xbox 360 slim will fix this.
gijooo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 gijooo
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

i think you got the defected one, should better to pick a new system before all your discs gets destroyed

if the disc is too scratched up, try toothpaste, rub it gently on the parts has the most severe scratches for a few mins, but make sure you clean the disc before applying the toothpaste, next use "COLD WATER" to spray off the toothpaste. than wipe it with your cleaning disc cloth and leave it to dry for a COUPLE OF DAYS.

if it doesnt work for first try, repeat the procedures again, if still doesnt work after a few attempts, that means your scratch is too deep which it dig right into the data layer.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 fend_oblivion

[QUOTE="fend_oblivion"]

Naturalselectio

I think you're right, I had my new 360 vertical for a while and thats whats caused it. Must only take the slightest bit of vibration like knocking the tv cabinet for it to scratch the disks. Will keep it horizontal and cross my fingers, hopefully (if they are making it) the Xbox 360 slim will fix this.

Never leave your consoles vertically and never move them around especially if it has a disc in it regardless of whether it's switched on or off.

E3 is a long way off so hopefully your hopes may be fulfilled with a 360 slim model that hopefully ends the RROD scenario.

GramDubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GramDubs
Member since 2010 • 636 Posts

yea they do, i has a new xbox, itscratched my discs without even moving it around or anything.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

yea they do, i has a new xbox, itscratched my discs without even moving it around or anything.

GramDubs
what's your gamertag?
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 firefox59
[QUOTE="fend_oblivion"]

[QUOTE="Naturalselectio"][QUOTE="fend_oblivion"]

Never leave your consoles vertically and never move them around especially if it has a disc in it regardless of whether it's switched on or off.

E3 is a long way off so hopefully your hopes may be fulfilled with a 360 slim model that hopefully ends the RROD scenario.

Jasper ended the RRoD. It has shot way way down. Only people that don't take care of their 360's are having problems.
GramDubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GramDubs

a way to avoid the red rings is to install games on your hard drive, this makes the game not spin thus making the disc drive not work as hard and therefore not overheat and not cause the red rings.

MazehcS0ul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MazehcS0ul
Member since 2009 • 1773 Posts

I dunno I have a 2007 model Xbox 360 and I checked my disks no scratches.

gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts
Over time the 360 does seem to scratch disc..but it's not as sudden as people try to make it out to be. And for the most part even newer 360's will share some of the same old drives that may be found in the Arcades etc.
fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 fend_oblivion

Jasper ended the RRoD. It has shot way way down. Only people that don't take care of their 360's are having problems.firefox59

Sadly it didn't as people still have RROD even with Jasper :(

coochie_kuta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 coochie_kuta
Member since 2003 • 660 Posts
yes it does but it doesnt just from normal play. the slightly bump can ruin a disc. all in all the 360 has a horrible disc drive. and thats saying something.
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 firefox59

[QUOTE="firefox59"]Jasper ended the RRoD. It has shot way way down. Only people that don't take care of their 360's are having problems.fend_oblivion

Honestly, I've never heard of anyone who installs games to have gotten an RRoD with a Jasper 360.
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

a way to avoid the red rings is to install games on your hard drive, this makes the game not spin thus making the disc drive not work as hard and therefore not overheat and not cause the red rings.

GramDubs
still waiting on that gamertag.
Buttons1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Buttons1990
Member since 2009 • 3167 Posts

fend_oblivion

I love how people spread misinformation like this... I have had my 360's vertical for nearly 5 YEARS... I have had only 2 360's break on me (disc drives died simply because I used my 360's so much)... And my most recent 360, a Jasper Arcade model, I have had since March of 2009, sitting vertical... No scratches on any of my discs, no drive failure, no over heating, no nothing... It has run fine...

Why do people act like they know everything and give people horribly incorrect advice?

Buttons1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Buttons1990
Member since 2009 • 3167 Posts

[QUOTE="firefox59"]Jasper ended the RRoD. It has shot way way down. Only people that don't take care of their 360's are having problems.fend_oblivion

And? RRoD isn't some system flaw that marks only 1 problem... It isn't some design flaw that has affected all 360's since launch in one specific location that Microsoft has just ignored... RRoD is a general error message that simply means "hardware failure"...

So if the GPU dies... RRoD...

CPU dies... RRoD...

Circuit on the motherboard fries... RRoD...

You drop your 360 on the ground and dislodge a bunch of junk... RRoD...

I love when people act like RRoD is one thing, it isn't... It is a marker for virtually any one of the thousands of circuits or dozens of components within a 360 that can fry...

MazehcS0ul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MazehcS0ul
Member since 2009 • 1773 Posts

DamianAlexander

That's the same thing that's happen to me.

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#33 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I would assume that the only danger of scratching discs comes when you lay your 360 on its side. I lay mine flat and I haven't had any problems with scratched discs.

GramDubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GramDubs

[QUOTE="fend_oblivion"]

Buttons1990

I love how people spread misinformation like this... I have had my 360's vertical for nearly 5 YEARS... I have had only 2 360's break on me (disc drives died simply because I used my 360's so much)... And my most recent 360, a Jasper Arcade model, I have had since March of 2009, sitting vertical... No scratches on any of my discs, no drive failure, no over heating, no nothing... It has run fine...

Why do people act like they know everything and give people horribly incorrect advice?

LOL, onlyyy 2 broke on you? So we should divide xbox sales by 3 and thats the real number :P