Do Elites have any problems?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Govesticrash187
Govesticrash187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Govesticrash187
Member since 2008 • 231 Posts

If my xbox breaks on me again, i am just thinking of buying an Elite, because I have been told they dont get RROD. Is this true?

coolmantony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 coolmantony
Member since 2006 • 66 Posts

well if ur 360 gets RROD before the 60gb comes out then u should get elite but if it doesnt get the 60gb because ii bet microsoft made the newer one harder to get RROD

X-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 X-7
Member since 2006 • 1934 Posts
From what my friend told me Microsoft put in heatsinks which were not in the original systems. They come standard now I believe. My friend also told me that they put those in the systems they send back from repairs. He has not had any problems since then.
koolaidWTF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 koolaidWTF
Member since 2008 • 362 Posts
Yes I seen a video of someone who had an Elite and had gotten RRoD. But like the other guy said just wait till the 60gb comes out cause Microsoft has changed stuff that makes it run not as much heat and so on so it will make it harder to get RRoD.
kotyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 kotyk
Member since 2003 • 460 Posts

After my second RROD, I bought an elite last year as I thought they would have the problem solved....

Almost exactly one year later and RROD.....just got my third (3rd!!!) coffin in the mail.

No 360 is immune......heat sinks my ass.

Firex777x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Firex777x
Member since 2008 • 697 Posts
i love my elite i have had no problems and it runs cool and silent.
trophylocoste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 trophylocoste
Member since 2006 • 8454 Posts
All 360's get red lights... Mine lasted 10 months
laser-pointer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 laser-pointer
Member since 2008 • 584 Posts
My first Elite didn't get RROD but it wouldn't read the disk.
cowcow11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 cowcow11
Member since 2006 • 126 Posts

my neighbors elite failed..

Band-it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Band-it
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
mine got one red light seems to be ok now tho. you think microsoft would get there stuff together by now
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#11 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

From what my friend told me Microsoft put in heatsinks which were not in the original systems. They come standard now I believe. My friend also told me that they put those in the systems they send back from repairs. He has not had any problems since then.X-7

This is true; if they are sent back for repairs they have the heatsink put in no matter how old the system is

DrewBlood08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DrewBlood08
Member since 2007 • 413 Posts

[QUOTE="X-7"]From what my friend told me Microsoft put in heatsinks which were not in the original systems. They come standard now I believe. My friend also told me that they put those in the systems they send back from repairs. He has not had any problems since then.Blueresident87

This is true; if they are sent back for repairs they have the heatsink put in no matter how old the system is

Heatsinks or not, my friend's 360 broke a couple of months ago. When he got a refurbished unit back from the repair center, it RROD'ed on him right away.

My 360 died or 360's depending how you look at it have died three times. The last time was a couple of weeks before Halo 3 came out. The refurbished one I got, third different serial number or system if you will, has the new heat sinks. The 360 is still running but I get dirty disc errors everyonce in awhile where I used to never get them.

I believe the Elites are just as vulnerable. Although I think the heatsinks help, they are not full proof. Maybe when MS starts using the thinner and cooler running CPU drive, then this problem may go away. But considering its the graphics processor that overheats and melts soldering points on the chip, I don't know if a new cooler CPU will help. Perhaps the overall lower running heat of the system, who knows?

mfp16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 mfp16
Member since 2006 • 4551 Posts
I got the RROD on my elite... the inside of elites is exactly the same as the pros, just a black case and a bigger HDD
1uP_OnYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 1uP_OnYou
Member since 2008 • 3183 Posts

i love my elite i have had no problems and it runs cool and silent.Firex777x

^This. Please note that I have only had my Elite for almost two weeks now. Comes with Forza 2 & Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

If my xbox breaks on me again, i am just thinking of buying an Elite, because I have been told they dont get RROD. Is this true?

Govesticrash187

Sadly no, this is untrue. I got one last week and my elite was manufacturered july 07. Here's the scoup, generation 1 motherboars had the worst RROD issue. Generation 2 motherboards (elites) eventually became the standard pro/premium motherboards with HDMI also get RROD, but less of a chance. Generation 3 motherboards (halo edition) have even LESS of a chance of getting them, and generation 4 motherboards are coming out next month, and ... yep, you guessed it, even less of a chance.

If you plan on buying one soon, i'd wait until mid august/september and get the Gen 4 boards (do this buy buying one with a new manufacturing date) and you minimize your chances of getting RROD.