dlc can get curb stomped

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kerrylipp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 kerrylipp
Member since 2009 • 43 Posts

ok, so i don't post here muchbut i've followed the boards forever. very rarely do i feel the need to get my opinion validated, but i just did, and it pissed me off. here we go

so i'm playing fable 2 for the first time in a long time and i'm at this point where i need to go through a portal. ok fine. on my way to the portal, on the rightthere is a treasure box. me thinking i'm about to get a new item, orhella gold, instead gets a message that says, (forgive me because i'vemoved on before i felt the need to post) something like "to find the secret of this treasure go to fable2.com. (if i have this wrong please correct me, but i'm fairly certain, andthe point remains.)

ok, i bought this game the day it came out, it wasn't cheap. over $60 with tax. shouldn't i be able to get the WHOLE game experience without A. going to a website B. registering at that website, C. paying for DLC?

I understant DLC and i (kind of) think it has its place, but i'm paying 60 bones for a COMPLETE GAME, i want to be able to open that mother #%%$#*#@*@ box. otherwise take it away.

dlc has a place, i hate the idea, but i have a feeling its here to stay. and you know what, fine, i'll deal with it as long as i can still play the entire game i paid full price for.but don't tease me with phantom treasureboxes. dont hook the story (i don't know if it does, but go with me here) on downloadable content. MAKE IT AN EXTENSION NOT A TEASE.

better yet don't do it at all! but i know since games have and its worked they will keep doing it, but dont spit in my face while i'm trying to(honestly)play through the game i've already put my hard earned cash into.

ps. i know that it costs a lot to make games and dlc is an easy (don't slaughter this because i know that dlc takes plenty of time to develop) way to spin a little more profit. but i don't want to pay 60 clams for half a game, not even 99% of a game. I want what i paid for not "pay more to open this chest."

pps all of you that have played chronotrigger, imagine if square, or nintendo for that matter had you opena treasure boxduring a sidequest that said go to xxxxxx.com website to aquire that weapon.

THANK YOU

K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#2 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts
Yeah alot of DLC=LAME. We pay money to get half of the game.
Trident_hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Trident_hawk
Member since 2009 • 76 Posts

i totally agree. just got gears of war 2 two months ago and then they release the goty edition with the deleted campaign

phynixblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 phynixblack
Member since 2007 • 1113 Posts
I think Microsoft is running like a well oiled business and doing pretty decent for their fans, give or take the avatar marketplace. Anything done in DLC is EXTRA work from the Game designers. EXTRA. You pay EXTRA to get any EXTRA work. Expensive? Yes, but if you have brains, you'll check to make sure the content is up to snuff. I happen to have only been disappointed by a download once, that was the second Halo 3 map pack. All other purchases I was perfectly happy with because I did the proper amount of looking into.
kerrylipp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kerrylipp

kind of agree phynxblack, but hypothetically you see a new weapon you haven't used in halo 3. your thinking hell yeah. you cross the weapon and it says go to halo3.com or insert credit card now to see this weapon... how do you feel?

shawn7324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#6 shawn7324
Member since 2006 • 8690 Posts
I think Microsoft is running like a well oiled business and doing pretty decent for their fans, give or take the avatar marketplace. Anything done in DLC is EXTRA work from the Game designers. EXTRA. You pay EXTRA to get any EXTRA work. Expensive? Yes, but if you have brains, you'll check to make sure the content is up to snuff. I happen to have only been disappointed by a download once, that was the second Halo 3 map pack. All other purchases I was perfectly happy with because I did the proper amount of looking into.phynixblack
Exactly, you won't have a bad experience with DLC unless you just randomly buy it.
Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

There are some games, MW2 and RE5 that come to mind, that come with the first day DLC, or content that's locked on the disc, that should be free and are rip-offs. However, how is going to a website and registering such a hassle? I did it with Fable II, and it took me 10 minutes to watch the little show and open up the treasure chest to get the 'reward'. Besides, it was free, so I really don't see your point in complaining over something like that.

MasterSpaceman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MasterSpaceman
Member since 2009 • 260 Posts

First off, that box isn't DLC mate. :P
You have to go to the website, not register.. and watch the flash film. There are 3 endings. You just let it play through and click a few options, do it 3 times and you can open it with all 3 items. Chicken Suit, Hero Doll and whatever else I can't remember.

But on the topic of DLC itself.. I agree with you but at the same time.. I'd have to disagree.

DLC is a way to expand the game beyond what they've already released. Yes it's a way to make more money.. But think back to PS2.
Once you'd fully complete a game on the old consoles you'd sit down and think.. "That's it?"
Theres nothing more to do on that game anymore. DLC makes it so those games you spent 60 bucks on and already completed valid again. You can replay them again with a few more things to do.
I really didn't like completeing a game because after I did I felt like there was no need to even HAVE the game anymore. But DLC makes it possible to pick up old games and still have something new to do on them.

The reason it costs so much is because the developers have to be paid for what they do, it's not free.
Yea sometimes they kind of drag it on with the DLC. Fallout 3 has WAY too much and apparently.. Anchorage and Pitt aren't even that good. You just get a few new items.

But it still gives you more to do so once you've spent all that money on a game and completed it.. for a few bucks more you get to pick your favourite games back up again. Instead of letting them collect dust at the back of your games pile while you go out and spend ANOTHER 60 bucks to repeat it all over again.

salxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 salxis
Member since 2009 • 4280 Posts

ok, so i don't post here muchbut i've followed the boards forever. very rarely do i feel the need to get my opinion validated, but i just did, and it pissed me off. here we go

so i'm playing fable 2 for the first time in a long time and i'm at this point where i need to go through a portal. ok fine. on my way to the portal, on the rightthere is a treasure box. me thinking i'm about to get a new item, orhella gold, instead gets a message that says, (forgive me because i'vemoved on before i felt the need to post) something like "to find the secret of this treasure go to fable2.com. (if i have this wrong please correct me, but i'm fairly certain, andthe point remains.)

ok, i bought this game the day it came out, it wasn't cheap. over $60 with tax. shouldn't i be able to get the WHOLE game experience without A. going to a website B. registering at that website, C. paying for DLC?

I understant DLC and i (kind of) think it has its place, but i'm paying 60 bones for a COMPLETE GAME, i want to be able to open that mother #%%$#*#@*@ box. otherwise take it away.

dlc has a place, i hate the idea, but i have a feeling its here to stay. and you know what, fine, i'll deal with it as long as i can still play the entire game i paid full price for.but don't tease me with phantom treasureboxes. dont hook the story (i don't know if it does, but go with me here) on downloadable content. MAKE IT AN EXTENSION NOT A TEASE.

better yet don't do it at all! but i know since games have and its worked they will keep doing it, but dont spit in my face while i'm trying to(honestly)play through the game i've already put my hard earned cash into.

ps. i know that it costs a lot to make games and dlc is an easy (don't slaughter this because i know that dlc takes plenty of time to develop) way to spin a little more profit. but i don't want to pay 60 clams for half a game, not even 99% of a game. I want what i paid for not "pay more to open this chest."

pps all of you that have played chronotrigger, imagine if square, or nintendo for that matter had you opena treasure boxduring a sidequest that said go to xxxxxx.com website to aquire that weapon.

THANK YOU

kerrylipp
It's not DLC mate :P, you just go to the website (Don't even have to register) and you get freebies basically. Just calm down and research a bit next time :D
seankane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 seankane
Member since 2007 • 4076 Posts

There are some games, MW2 and RE5 that come to mind, that come with the first day DLC, or content that's locked on the disc, that should be free and are rip-offs. Legendaryscmt

Where did you hear that MW2 would have day one DLC?

I really hope thats not true.

MasterSpaceman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MasterSpaceman

[QUOTE="Legendaryscmt"]

There are some games, MW2 and RE5 that come to mind, that come with the first day DLC, or content that's locked on the disc, that should be free and are rip-offs. seankane

Where did you hear that MW2 would have day one DLC?

I really hope thats not true.

It won't.
It's a little too harsh on the people buying the Prestige Edition.
They pay like 100-120 bucks.. Then have to pay another 5-10 on DLC? No way haha.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
the only company i have known to stoop to that level are EA, i would rather burn my money than use it on any of their little overpriced microtransactions
kerrylipp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kerrylipp

maybe i didn't do my homework, but i still think its worthcomplaining about that i didn't go to theirwebsite (under the assumption i'd have to register, which i think is more than legit)and you know why i didn't go to the website? because i didn't want to take 10 minutes away from playing the game, which would turn into 20 or 30 by the time i did, to open that chest. cant a game just be a game? am i crazy?

not trying to be a/an (insertwordthatwon'tgetmodded) head

and sorry if i prematurely blurred the lines between dlc and ycgtowagtcff (you can go to our website and get the content for free).

6matt6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 6matt6
Member since 2005 • 9726 Posts
This stuff doesnt bother me. Its the fact I have to download an additional game to get achievements in Fable 2. Makes me want to roundhouse kick Peters head off.
atm0073

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 atm0073
Member since 2005 • 3069 Posts

To add some figurative logic to your metaphor: anyone or anything that attempted to curb stomp DLC would get blasted in the face with a shotgun by the simple concepts of business and money-making.

I do agree with you though, DLC releases have been getting a bit out of hand as of late (during the past year or so, to be precise).

MasterSpaceman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MasterSpaceman

maybe i didn't do my homework, but i still think its worthcomplaining about that i didn't go to theirwebsite (under the assumption i'd have to register, which i think is more than legit)and you know why i didn't go to the website? because i didn't want to take 10 minutes away from playing the game, which would turn into 20 or 30 by the time i did, to open that chest. cant a game just be a game? am i crazy?

not trying to be a/an (insertwordthatwon'tgetmodded) head

and sorry if i prematurely blurred the lines between dlc and ycgtowagtcff (you can go to our website and get the content for free).

kerrylipp

Dude, it's just 10-30 minutes. That's all.
The things in that box aren't that good anyways. Well, the chest is also used to obtain the Master Chief items if you bought the Limited Edition.. But it's just a way for them to get you to go to their website. You get free content for it.

In the long run you'll need to anyways.. because if you enjoy Fable 2 enough to buy the "See The Future" DLC.. one of the achievements requires that you wear a chicken suit and kick a chicken in the Colosseum.
If you don't get the DLC, ignore the chest. It's not even worth it.

Next-Gen-Tec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Next-Gen-Tec
Member since 2009 • 4623 Posts
Not all DLC is lame, for example the GTA IV DLC. It's very good, probably the best available on XBL. Most are lame, and bdaly done, and milked. Gears 2 is quite bad, but Modern Warfare 2 will set new standards of DLC milkage. Day 1 map pack? Doesn't even make logical sense... oh yeah, except MILKAGE.
NintendoGamer3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NintendoGamer3
Member since 2008 • 2848 Posts
DLC adds replay value. Example. Once you beat Fable 2. It's done. But once DLC comes out you'll play it again. Or, map packs adds more value. Since there new maps, obviously your gunna wanna try it out. So thats replay.
capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#19 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts

I disagree TC. Some DLC is a bit of a rip off but most is optional stuff that is meant to extend the life of your favorite games. Do your reasearch and if it's not worth it to you then don't buy it.

ps: I like the idea of the avatar marketplace but it's too expensive for somehting so superficial imo so I'm waiting till they offer better stuff or lower the price. Personally I think that everything should be a 100 mspoints or less. I'd be like "well ive got some points left over, ill get that new Halo outfit" or whatever.

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

yeah theres good and buy dlc but what can you do they make too much money off of it its never gonna go away. Also why do people keep complaining about gears dlc thats one of the few thingvs that isnt a rip off you got a full game from the start with plenty of maps the dlc only expands the original it dosent complete it. While ill admit they are kinda pricey the all fronts collection is actually a good deal.

poordude1089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 poordude1089
Member since 2006 • 328 Posts

horse armor

I'll just leave this here.

djrobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 djrobst
Member since 2007 • 2404 Posts
the only company i have known to stoop to that level are EA, i would rather burn my money than use it on any of their little overpriced microtransactionschaoscougar1
to be fair with ea id agree with you, but only to a point, they do go overboard with dlc, like offering to take money to upgrade ur saved game some how and progress u further in the game with stuff u can unlock by playing, and i do remember playing godfather 2 and finding a guy to buy weapons off and it was a guy who was selling DLC weapons . i laughed when i realised it was a advert basically in game but never bought. but they do over load some games with crap dlc, but they still have some good dlc. overall though i cant really knock them, as ive had quite a bit of dlc from their games for free, like burnout (3 packs of dlc i think) godfather1 corlone challenges for free, need for speed undercover loads of free new races and cars for example so im more than happy for devs to push **** dlc if they still giving me stuff for free, after all ive got the brains to work out whats i want to buy and not and i dont fall for the bs dlc. but stuff for gta iv, halo, cod have been great additions to my games though. i dont actually think ive paid for any ea dlc? maybe something but i dont think theres anything i can rememebr
djrobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 djrobst
[QUOTE="poordude1089"]

horse armor

I'll just leave this here.

lmao but obv u never bought it, more fool you if you did. that horse is a good example of bad dlc, but shivering ilses is a good example of great dlc as well.
djrobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 djrobst
DLC adds replay value. Example. Once you beat Fable 2. It's done. But once DLC comes out you'll play it again. Or, map packs adds more value. Since there new maps, obviously your gunna wanna try it out. So thats replay.NintendoGamer3
exaclty, ive had numerous games that had dropped off the map for me that i kept but when the dlc come out i renewed my interests and played the game all over again, some times its worth the small fee to find urself back in tune with the game, even better though when its free i was disapointed with the pricing of the gears dlc though, i really wanted a slice of that level, but its too much to pay for one campain level, even if extras are included, 800 points and i would of been there, but i get the feeling eventually it will be on a gold memeber offer and ill get it then at 33& off fingers crossed
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#25 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Some DLC are good, while others are bad, paying to get alternate costumes in SF4 is absurd, they should be unlocked in the game, not having to pay for all those costumes.

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

Some DLC are good, while others are bad, paying to get alternate costumes in SF4 is absurd, they should be unlocked in the game, not having to pay for all those costumes.

mitu123

whats so bad about that is that it was already on disc the dl just unlocked the stuff

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#27 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

Gen007

whats so bad about that is that it was already on disc the dl just unlocked the stuff

I hate when devs do that.
Silverpeel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Silverpeel
Member since 2009 • 1607 Posts
I totally agree, it really is getting sad. Instead of 60 dollars, now to get the full game it could reach almost 100 dollars. I think that most DLC is crap. I don't want to have to pay extra for more missions, I believe the whole game should be what you pay for, not the disc and half a game