Disc insanely scratched. Question on renting and installing a clean copy.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Neo_Sarevok (3092 posts) -

So my 60lb dog jumped down from my lap onto my console ( ::insert joke here:: ), jarring the disc inside loose and the console insanely scratched it up inside. It's the worst kind of scratch too -- the one where it runs in a circle along the disc. Disc repair didn't help.

I have an idea of borrowing a friend's copy or renting it, then installing it to HDD. Since I own the scratched up disc and it does boot to the main menu properly, I was hoping an installed copy would cure my ills.

Just curious if this works.

#2 Posted by Ghost120x (5241 posts) -
It has to be from the same disk.
#3 Posted by Warablo13 (1289 posts) -
It has to be from the same disk.Ghost120x
No it does not, I did this with my Black Ops 2 and some other games.. It should work just fine if it can run your game long enough to stop reading the disc..
#4 Posted by RichySe7en (27 posts) -
I do this regular, works perfectly fine, not sure where the above dude conjured up it has to be from the same disk, not true.
#5 Posted by funsohng (29858 posts) -
Oh this works? My ODST disc is read on the dashboard but can't start the game, but I think I might try this.
#6 Posted by gamerfreak1991 (2501 posts) -

As long as you have a clean, scratch-free copy of the game disc that you can install once it's done you can pop in your scratched up copy and it'll work just fine from the HDD.

#7 Posted by mariokart64fan (20581 posts) -

no it does not lol i have 3 copies of perfect dark zero ,

and 3 copies of gta iv , 2 copies of pd0 work without install but all 3 work with it installed,

same for gta so as long as your 360 still reads it after you install it you should be fine ,

Avatar image for GeneralMufinMan
#8 Posted by GeneralMufinMan (387 posts) -

So my 60lb dog jumped down from my lap onto my console ( ::insert joke here:: ), jarring the disc inside loose and the console insanely scratched it up inside. It's the worst kind of scratch too -- the one where it runs in a circle along the disc. Disc repair didn't help.

I have an idea of borrowing a friend's copy or renting it, then installing it to HDD. Since I own the scratched up disc and it does boot to the main menu properly, I was hoping an installed copy would cure my ills.

Just curious if this works.

Neo_Sarevok
It worked for my copy of Rock Band 2, I used the rented copy to install the game, and played it fine using my original scratched disc.
#9 Posted by Flamingpostman (1172 posts) -

its works all the time. as long as you have the same game in the xbox you can play it.