Did Call of Duty ruin Xbox Live?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gmoneybball91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 gmoneybball91
Member since 2008 • 365 Posts
Sometimes I look at the sheer number of people that play Call of Duty and it kind of makes me mad because there are so many other great games that have dead online communities. I don't know if COD is to blame but it sure kind of seems like it. What do you think?
sk8erwarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 sk8erwarlock
Member since 2007 • 533 Posts
No, GoW and Halo are still quite active, so is Battlefield, it will last 1 or 2 more years and it will die out like Guitar Hero
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#3 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

There will always be a game most people will play. I wouldn't really blame Call of Duty for a lack of activity in other games. Plenty of other games have thriving communities. The only ones to blame for a game's dead community are it's game and it's developer/publisher.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 vashkey
No, GoW and Halo are still quite active, so is Battlefield, it will last 1 or 2 more years and it will die out like Guitar Herosk8erwarlock
Call of Duty was selling millions before Guitar Hero even began, you can't compare the two.
randallion119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 randallion119
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
No, GoW and Halo are still quite active, so is Battlefield, it will last 1 or 2 more years and it will die out like Guitar Herosk8erwarlock
this. Not to mention, COD is a good game online. A bit repetitive, not quite up to par with BF for me, but it's still good. Not too many "great games" are dead, either.
Avatar image for SgtSchfiftyFive
SgtSchfiftyFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SgtSchfiftyFive
Member since 2010 • 343 Posts

I honestly doubt one series could ruin Xbox LIVE, but I guess it's your opinion 8)

Xbox360Gamer15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 Xbox360Gamer15
Member since 2009 • 3937 Posts
Of course cod is ruining xbl, halo reach is dying because of it..
gmoneybball91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gmoneybball91
Member since 2008 • 365 Posts
[QUOTE="sk8erwarlock"]No, GoW and Halo are still quite active, so is Battlefield, it will last 1 or 2 more years and it will die out like Guitar Herorandallion119
this. Not to mention, COD is a good game online. A bit repetitive, not quite up to par with BF for me, but it's still good. Not too many "great games" are dead, either.

Those games are givens. I'm talking about less popular games like Bioshock 2, Rainbow Six Vegas, Ghostbusters, and even some game modes for gta 4 aren't getting nearly enough people playing them.
mrsniper83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

#9 mrsniper83
Member since 2009 • 1552 Posts
Sometimes I look at the sheer number of people that play Call of Duty and it kind of makes me mad because there are so many other great games that have dead online communities. I don't know if COD is to blame but it sure kind of seems like it. What do you think?gmoneybball91
I agree with you.I like to play all the games on 360 and i have deleted alot of people off my friends list cause that is all they would play.Its really not that different from the last game.I really wish they would give it a year or two off.
MW2ismygame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MW2ismygame
Member since 2010 • 2188 Posts

i would not say it is bad for xbox live just play games like halo,gow and BF and there wont be much serious cod fanboy traffic

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Says who?
sharkbiscuit79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sharkbiscuit79
Member since 2009 • 1142 Posts
I find this question hard to answer, I mean CoD is a popular game but again that does not make it a good or great game. People are entitled to play what they want but then I really (and I mean really!!!!!) find it hard to understand why people would want to pay full price for a game thats hardly changed in 5 years and has had a title released every single year. Before you call me a hater (just because the game is popular), my first encounter with a CoD game was CoD 2 on my 360. I was blown away first with the single player campaign and it was one of my very first games that I played online ever which I was hooked on. I have then bought EVERY CoD since. But found that with each one I was less impressed bored and annoyed that they were releasing what essentially was a re-hash. Sure they have changed the settings and introduced the perk system but the perk system just awards people with more time on there hands a huge advantage over newbies(no im not a sore loser when I did play I would always be in the top third of the scoreboard). Every single game I have played online has had bugs,glitches and cheats. Whether it was people using rapid fire controllers or people exploiting glitches like floating underneath the maps. Then it really got me Black -Ops the maps are tiny there actually getting smaller, still no vehicals just on rail sequences come on they are not even trying and still people cheating how on earth is this a fun experience. Well you could say dont buy the games yes your right but at least I have an informed opinion. And no I wont be buying another CoD ever. Then there is the issue of coming onto the forums, I will often visit this site forums and find that everytime I enter there is a topic about a sequal to a game that has no MP with people saying im not buying the new insatllment if there is no MP yet look what happened to DeadSpace Bioshock and Assassins Creed, They never really needed it and adding MP did not boost sales. Then I come on and find ooh when the new CoD game out or comparing games like Which one is better BF or CoD or Reach vs CoD or BF vs Cod. Yes I dont have to read them and now I dont. Yesterday I thought hang on ill stop moaning and create topics myself so I did, not origonal but one concerning L.A. Noire amongst othe titles that are not fps and alot of the replys were were oh its will have no replay value or the setting does not intrest me. Now im not forcing people to like a game but no one apart form a couple actually acknowledged that it was doing something different. This is where I will try and answer the topic in question. I think that the gaming community is ruining XBL and CoD is not helping. With the wealth of tiltes and hardware we now have at our finger tips as gamers all we like doing is playing Team Deathmatch on first person shooters. Now if there is a huge following in other genres the forums seem to suggest otherwise as well as playing stats on games. Im not anti fps or shooter in fact I have a few myself Im still playing BF:BC2 online and look at what that game can offer why cant developers of the more generic fps take note and stop tring to recreate a CoD beater and try some differant and origonal and you might just beat the sales of the next CoD game. And all of us as gamers demand something fresh. There is life outside CoD
jmilitia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jmilitia
You whine all day about how good or bad your connection is when nobody has the courage to just say the simple truth or you are just that ignorant and don't learn anything about the issues at hand. Why don't you point the finger at the real problem and do something about it. Bottom line is this. These game developers are a bunch of geek boys still in their 20's for the most part just got out of college with their little pee brain degree and don't want to tell you that they are just as greedy as the oil mongers dictating middle eastern countries. When you pull your heads out of your you know what, you will see that they are to greedy to put servers in our own country. It doesn't matter who host is. I've proven it time after time. Host might lag the room but that isn't the problem. The problem is ping times to the servers. If it was host then why is it every game is bad for me when I have top of the line connection and live a mile down the street from Microsoft??? Better yet, why is the game the worse for me WHEN I AM HOST? Answer that jack A%$. I run 60mbs down/10mbs up, with ping times under 100 all the way to new york, From West to East! Do the math for all you trolls on here who probably work for these game companies along with Microsoft, ps3 etc. You people need to wake up and retire your online gaming for at least a year if you ever want to see any change for the better. Go get some sun, get a life and make these liars spend some money on servers in at least 3 locations of the us, the west, central and the east, common sense people. You don't like the harsh reality, that's what it comes down to. Oh yeah I almost forgot, its the apathy of America that causes you to believe a lie and run with it, kinda like how the majority of you are still that stupid to believe in the official story of 9/11 You buy whatever they sell you. you people are pathetic and this is why America will fall. Oh yes little mocking bird, it is that serious when you know what I know. wake up kids. Time to open your eyes. The love of money is the root of all evil. Keep paying them while they make games how they like to see you play them, not how we want to play. You ever wonder why they took prone out of battlefield? lol what a joke, even better joke, ever wonder why they dontmake a sniper rifle a one shot kill with a suppressor? I would tell you but you can't grasp that truth cause you're already bought with a cheap price. WAKE UP! Save your money and buy something worth money, like guns! Support the 2nd Amendment for your children sake. "Mass murderers agree gun control works"
sk8erwarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sk8erwarlock
[QUOTE="randallion119"][QUOTE="sk8erwarlock"]No, GoW and Halo are still quite active, so is Battlefield, it will last 1 or 2 more years and it will die out like Guitar Herogmoneybball91

Those games are givens. I'm talking about less popular games like Bioshock 2, Rainbow Six Vegas, Ghostbusters, and even some game modes for gta 4 aren't getting nearly enough people playing them.

Vegas 2 is still active
sk8erwarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 sk8erwarlock
[QUOTE="sk8erwarlock"]No, GoW and Halo are still quite active, so is Battlefield, it will last 1 or 2 more years and it will die out like Guitar HeroBlack_Knight_00
Says who?

Alot of people like me whos been playing since the original on the PC are finally starting to quit, alot of my friends are too
Reach-The-Myth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Reach-The-Myth
Member since 2010 • 453 Posts
Sometimes I look at the sheer number of people that play Call of Duty and it kind of makes me mad because there are so many other great games that have dead online communities. I don't know if COD is to blame but it sure kind of seems like it. What do you think?gmoneybball91
It did not, it was inevitable that a gaming series would dominate xbox live. If Call Of Duty never came out, then people would all goto another gaming franchise with accessible gameplay which they could play with their friends (Like Battlefield : Bad Company 2 or Halo). Yet Call Of Duty : Black Ops started the decline in review scores with a metacritic average of 87 - Although this seems slight, it is most likely due to the exhaustion of the Call Of Duty formula, and once the modern warfare story arc has finished, then I honestly don't know how many more years COD will last, but review scores do contribute to game sales, and if COD never offers something really fresh and new soon, then I expect a rapid decline in the fanbase, with them moving to other franchises or just sticking to the older games. Yet this is just a prediction.
orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#18 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts
I mostly agree with you. I think it'll die out ion about 5 years. As long as they keep their formula. Cus it's the same thing over and over... just like Guitar Hero. We'll see.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Black_Knight_00
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="sk8erwarlock"]No, GoW and Halo are still quite active, so is Battlefield, it will last 1 or 2 more years and it will die out like Guitar Herosk8erwarlock
Says who?

Alot of people like me whos been playing since the original on the PC are finally starting to quit, alot of my friends are too

So because you're quitting everyone else will?
sk8erwarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 sk8erwarlock
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="sk8erwarlock"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] Says who?

No, i obviously stated at the end, alot of my friends are quiting, and i mean alot, as am i, most people i know do not like the game anymore
EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 EliteM0nk3y
Member since 2010 • 3382 Posts

You whine all day about how good or bad your connection is when nobody has the courage to just say the simple truth or you are just that ignorant and don't learn anything about the issues at hand. Why don't you point the finger at the real problem and do something about it. Bottom line is this. These game developers are a bunch of geek boys still in their 20's for the most part just got out of college with their little pee brain degree and don't want to tell you that they are just as greedy as the oil mongers dictating middle eastern countries. When you pull your heads out of your you know what, you will see that they are to greedy to put servers in our own country. It doesn't matter who host is. I've proven it time after time. Host might lag the room but that isn't the problem. The problem is ping times to the servers. If it was host then why is it every game is bad for me when I have top of the line connection and live a mile down the street from Microsoft??? Better yet, why is the game the worse for me WHEN I AM HOST? Answer that jack A%$. I run 60mbs down/10mbs up, with ping times under 100 all the way to new york, From West to East! Do the math for all you trolls on here who probably work for these game companies along with Microsoft, ps3 etc. You people need to wake up and retire your online gaming for at least a year if you ever want to see any change for the better. Go get some sun, get a life and make these liars spend some money on servers in at least 3 locations of the us, the west, central and the east, common sense people. You don't like the harsh reality, that's what it comes down to. Oh yeah I almost forgot, its the apathy of America that causes you to believe a lie and run with it, kinda like how the majority of you are still that stupid to believe in the official story of 9/11 You buy whatever they sell you. you people are pathetic and this is why America will fall. Oh yes little mocking bird, it is that serious when you know what I know. wake up kids. Time to open your eyes. The love of money is the root of all evil. Keep paying them while they make games how they like to see you play them, not how we want to play. You ever wonder why they took prone out of battlefield? lol what a joke, even better joke, ever wonder why they dontmake a sniper rifle a one shot kill with a suppressor? I would tell you but you can't grasp that truth cause you're already bought with a cheap price. WAKE UP! Save your money and buy something worth money, like guns! Support the 2nd Amendment for your children sake. "Mass murderers agree gun control works"jmilitia

I had a nice lol moment when reading this.

Even some of my friends who used to play just Call of Duty, have moved on. I didn't buy Black Ops and I won't likely buy the next Call of Duty.

ScarfaceNY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ScarfaceNY
Of course cod is ruining xbl, halo reach is dying because of it..Xbox360Gamer15
No. Halo Reach is dying because it's a garbage game.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Black_Knight_00
[QUOTE="sk8erwarlock"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="sk8erwarlock"] Alot of people like me whos been playing since the original on the PC are finally starting to quit, alot of my friends are too

No, i obviously stated at the end, alot of my friends are quiting, and i mean alot, as am i, most people i know do not like the game anymore

So what? Just because your friends have stopped playing CoD it doesn't mean its popularity is dropping. Battlefield will always have competition, live with it
Xbox360Gamer15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Xbox360Gamer15
[QUOTE="Xbox360Gamer15"]Of course cod is ruining xbl, halo reach is dying because of it..ScarfaceNY

Halo reach is not garbage, bungie did an awesome job in their last halo game. Call of duty is garbage, well the mutiplayer is. halo reaches mutiplayer is playable. cods' is not.
DumbPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DumbPanda
Member since 2011 • 379 Posts
When I look down my friends list, almost every single person is on either Call of Duty or Fifa 11; with the occasional arcade demo sneaking in there.. It's starting to get awfully annoying now. CoD is boring anyway, extremely repetetive, and my Fifa 11 disc is broke, so I'm forced to play online games on my own. What a life.
javafriek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 javafriek
Member since 2008 • 752 Posts
[QUOTE="Xbox360Gamer15"]Of course cod is ruining xbl, halo reach is dying because of it..ScarfaceNY

Reach imo is a great game, not some cheap reprint of the same game year after year.
EliteGames99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 EliteGames99
That is a fair statement Call of duty IS basically the leading game series that people find so addictive and popular. But i think it is fair to say they earnt it, there games have been very good and have taken away players from other game communities. In the end of the day that is what will happen - everyone is competing in order for everyone to play there game and series. But in other words, no, the call of duty series has not taken over the xbox 360 gaming community - look at the halo series, the gears of war series, the battlefield series.....the list can go on with not only shooters but from many genres. I personally am a call of duty fan, but i DO NOT value it over many other brilliant games out there. Thank you, EliteGames99
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 vashkey

[QUOTE="randallion119"][QUOTE="sk8erwarlock"]No, GoW and Halo are still quite active, so is Battlefield, it will last 1 or 2 more years and it will die out like Guitar Herogmoneybball91

I would blame Rainbow Six Vegas 2 for the original's demise(but I still have a hard time believing no one plays it). Ghostbusters and Bioshock 2 on the other hand have themselves to blame. They should have been better. Ghostbusters is a world renowned franchise and Bioshock is a pretty popular series. If they were great fans would have kept playing them.

If Call of Duty weren't popular these games still wouldn't be popular and then you'd be blaming a different game like Halo.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 vashkey
[QUOTE="sk8erwarlock"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="sk8erwarlock"] Alot of people like me whos been playing since the original on the PC are finally starting to quit, alot of my friends are too

Back in the 90s me and all my friends played Pokemon. By the mid 2000s we had all quit. Pokemon is not dead, in fact it's still hugely popular despite the fact that gameplay has remained almost untouched since the beginning. Whats the moral of the story here?
xboxmad12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 xboxmad12
Member since 2009 • 575 Posts

[QUOTE="ScarfaceNY"][QUOTE="Xbox360Gamer15"]Of course cod is ruining xbl, halo reach is dying because of it..Xbox360Gamer15

Halo reach is not garbage, bungie did an awesome job in their last halo game. Call of duty is garbage, well the mutiplayer is. halo reaches mutiplayer is playable. cods' is not.

Call of duty's online is not playable? It's the most played game on xbox live. I think its not playable to you because you aren't any good at it. Also Halo reach isn't diying because of CoD its dying because it sucks.

I'll probably lose points for saying this but Xbox360gamer15,Are you mentally challenged? Ive seen some of your posts on other fourms and they make no sense.

Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
I think the gaming hierarchy on Live is close enough to a meritocracy that I'm not worried if one game captures the masses. That just means it's probably a darn good game.
rawrB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 rawrB
Member since 2009 • 627 Posts

Of course cod is ruining xbl, halo reach is dying because of it..Xbox360Gamer15

false halo sucks

Fact people dont wnaa play a gam were ou use all ur ammo up taking down a sheild

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 vashkey

reach isn't diying because of CoD its dying because it sucks.xboxmad12
Reach isn't dying and it doesn't suck. :roll:

javafriek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 javafriek
Member since 2008 • 752 Posts

[QUOTE="xboxmad12"]reach isn't diying because of CoD its dying because it sucks.vashkey

Reach isn't dying and it doesn't suck. :roll:

Why are people saying Reach is dying? :roll: Where are they getting this idea or information? Reach is still an extremely popular game.

sk8erwarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 sk8erwarlock
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="sk8erwarlock"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] So because you're quitting everyone else will?

So what? Just because your friends have stopped playing CoD it doesn't mean its popularity is dropping. Battlefield will always have competition, live with it

It's already dying, as stated by orb_03_2006, it wont last for much longer, the only good one that ive played in nearly a year was CoD4 and CoD2, its turning into guitar hero where everyone buys it and plays it, if everyone buys it year after year after year, a large percentage of the players will get very bored with its repetitve style, if it was every two years another cod game came it, it would be fine, so unless the new CoD does something very new, it won't last
sk8erwarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 sk8erwarlock
[QUOTE="vashkey"][QUOTE="sk8erwarlock"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] So because you're quitting everyone else will?

Back in the 90s me and all my friends played Pokemon. By the mid 2000s we had all quit. Pokemon is not dead, in fact it's still hugely popular despite the fact that gameplay has remained almost untouched since the beginning. Whats the moral of the story here?

But as stated, they dont release another game every year though there is alot of them, thats built up over years and years due to it being almost a new genre, a new FPS will come out 1 day and beat CoD, maybe not by alot but enough until it slowly dies down into a smaller community
xxKai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 xxKai
Member since 2011 • 2689 Posts

About 10 of my friends online at the time, only 2 or 3 would be playing Cod

whataguy69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 whataguy69
Member since 2009 • 238 Posts

Yea, I think if cod servers were down, every other game would see a spike in user activity.

Xbox360Gamer15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Xbox360Gamer15

[QUOTE="Xbox360Gamer15"][QUOTE="ScarfaceNY"] No. Halo Reach is dying because it's a garbage game. xboxmad12

Call of duty's online is not playable? It's the most played game on xbox live. I think its not playable to you because you aren't any good at it. Also Halo reach isn't diying because of CoD its dying because it sucks.

I'll probably lose points for saying this but Xbox360gamer15,Are you mentally challenged? Ive seen some of your posts on other fourms and they make no sense.

No, I'm not retarded, I just like halo reach better then cod since I'm better at reaches mutiplayer. And theres lots of hackers and cheats and noob-toobers getting in the way in black ops. The only mental illness is something that makes me stutter and shy.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 vashkey
[QUOTE="sk8erwarlock"][QUOTE="vashkey"][QUOTE="sk8erwarlock"] No, i obviously stated at the end, alot of my friends are quiting, and i mean alot, as am i, most people i know do not like the game anymore

But as stated, they dont release another game every year though there is alot of them, thats built up over years and years due to it being almost a new genre, a new FPS will come out 1 day and beat CoD, maybe not by alot but enough until it slowly dies down into a smaller community

Actually, there is a Pokemon game every year. Not a core Pokemon game every year, but there is a new Pokemon game every year, or almost every year. Regardless, it doesn't make much difference. No one's being forced to buy these game every year. It certainly doesn't seem to be hurting the series. Madden and various sports games are proof that a yearly release isn't necessarily bad for a series. Call of Duty isn't dying any time soon. And if some other shooter becomes more popular then people will be complaining about how thats the game ruining xbox live.
soapman72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 soapman72
Member since 2010 • 2714 Posts

i think the same after MW3 thats it for me

max-Emadness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 max-Emadness
Member since 2009 • 1781 Posts
i play more halo and gow than cod these days