did achievements change the way your play your games ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sammydageek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 sammydageek
Member since 2005 • 174 Posts

I found that games lasted a lot longer, but I also got frustrated when the achievement seemed impossible ?

optimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 optimal
Member since 2003 • 695 Posts
I love achievements. Whenever I play my wii, I feel like I'm missing something. I love the added replay value they bring, they make games so much more interesting.
jrabbit99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 jrabbit99
Member since 2007 • 2836 Posts
yup! it gives me more reason to play a game that I wouldn't normally play
orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#4 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts
I think achievements are a great idea. it adds replay value to a lot of my games :D
yungog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 yungog
Member since 2008 • 731 Posts

they have actually,before there were no achievements i'd only probaly play a game through once,but now with the achievements it gives me a reason to play the game again and get the rest of the achievements:)

S3XYT1M3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 S3XYT1M3
Member since 2009 • 834 Posts

yep it gives my games more replay value

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#7 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14419 Posts

I love them. They give you reasons to keep playing and they last forever and gives you reason to have played the game in the first place.

drunkenyak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 drunkenyak
Member since 2008 • 165 Posts

I think of achievements as little side quests. It kind of helps give my games replay value as well. Although sometimes I have to remind myself to play for fun.There are times when I'll find myself trying to base the decision of what I play by what achievements are the easiest to get.

valttu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 valttu
Member since 2007 • 1420 Posts

Yeah.

seankane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 seankane
Member since 2007 • 4076 Posts

Nope. They're completely meaningless. You get no actual rewards for getting them, so why should I bother? I just play the game like its meant to be played.

Seems like a cheap way to increase replay value, if you ask me. Games should have good replay value because of in-game rewards and fun gameplay, not some meaningless box popping up saying you've acheived something.

MidtownShow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MidtownShow
Member since 2009 • 68 Posts

It's a great idea indeed. But I don't care that much about them and they don't change the way I play.

CNUrGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CNUrGames
Member since 2005 • 1867 Posts
[QUOTE="seankane"]

Nope. They're completely meaningless. You get no actual rewards for getting them, so why should I bother? I just play the game like its meant to be played.

Seems like a cheap way to increase replay value, if you ask me. Games should have good replay value because of in-game rewards and fun gameplay, not some meaningless box popping up saying you've acheived something.

But now that they're giving you Avatar Rewards in games for achieving things, does that change your outlook because it changes your facts. There are now rewards for getting them.
XxChicagoTedXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 XxChicagoTedXx
Member since 2009 • 407 Posts

I don't see why people care so much about them and just replay a game to get them. They are absolutely pointless. Maybe if they actually gave me something. People always brag about them online and say they are so good because of them then I completely destroy them. I agree that it is a cheap way to increase replay value. Cheap like in resident evil 5 where you couldn't aim and move was a cheap way to increase difficulty.

runekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 runekey
Member since 2008 • 697 Posts

I found that games lasted a lot longer, sammydageek

me too. Unfortuently, sometimes, when im playing a game with no achievments, i have to remind myself that im playing it because i love video games, not for some score.

CNUrGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CNUrGames
I can play games for fun, but I find that achievements give me some guidance on things to do to maximize my game experience.
seankane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 seankane
Member since 2007 • 4076 Posts

[QUOTE="seankane"]

CNUrGames

But now that they're giving you Avatar Rewards in games for achieving things, does that change your outlook because it changes your facts. There are now rewards for getting them.

Yea, something tangible will be nice. But how many of the acheivements will actually have those sorts of rewards? Probably not too many. And if its something ridiculous like having to get 1000/1000, then I wont bother at all.

CNUrGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CNUrGames
[QUOTE="seankane"]

[QUOTE="CNUrGames"][QUOTE="seankane"]

Yea, something tangible will be nice. But how many of the acheivements will actually have those sorts of rewards? Probably not too many. And if its something ridiculous like having to get 1000/1000, then I wont bother at all.

True, I guess we'll have to see
XxChicagoTedXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 XxChicagoTedXx
Member since 2009 • 407 Posts

[QUOTE="seankane"]

CNUrGames

Oh yeah, because everyone is dying to get clothes for their avatar. Another pointless thing.

nick_manthe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nick_manthe
Member since 2005 • 447 Posts
yes
CNUrGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CNUrGames
[QUOTE="XxChicagoTedXx"]

[QUOTE="CNUrGames"][QUOTE="seankane"]

Oh yeah, because everyone is dying to get clothes for their avatar. Another pointless thing.

It just add rewards. Clothes for your avatar for playing a game? Better than having to pay money for it and it increase the options.
PSP_DSL_ROX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 PSP_DSL_ROX
Member since 2007 • 512 Posts

I don't necessarily think it changed the way I game. If anything, I think it improved the way I game. It used to be I would play a game, solve it and then move on. Now, once I've solved a game the fun is going back in and trying to get the achievements/trophies that I missed during the first play. I am very much OCD about completing things, so it has also made it difficult to accept that I won't be able to get a perfect 1000 score and platinum trophy on all games. But in terms of actually changing the way I game, I don't think so, I still play my games as usual and don't play the game to just get the achievements. The amount of replay is great, if I ever find myself in the situation of having all the games I want and there not being anything new out for a while I want, getting more achievements and trophies is a great way to get to the next great games.

The Wii is still, by far my favorite system, but I still think it would benefit greatly by having some type of system like the 360 and PS3. They just add another element to the game and make the experience last that much longer and feel that much more complete.

bluem00se

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bluem00se
Member since 2005 • 2185 Posts
Achievements definitely influence the way I play games. I hate how some achievements force you to play a game a certain way, but I usually go for them anyways.
Avatar image for 8732_YoungJeezy
8732_YoungJeezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#23 8732_YoungJeezy
Member since 2008 • 1656 Posts

yes and i'm glad they added them, it gives you more things to do on the game instead of just trying to beat it as fast as you can.

Kounterfit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Kounterfit
Member since 2005 • 1230 Posts

I love achievements! It's kinda double-edged sword for me; on one hand, it is so addicting to play and start unlocking achievements, whether you were intending to get it or not. On the other hand, its so frustrating having games that are not 100% because you feel like even if you beat the game, its not yet done.

Once you play a game with achievements, its hard for me to play a game on any other system.