Demolition Derby racer "Wreckfest" coming to Xbox One Nov 20, good critical reception so far

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

An awesome-looking destruction derby-themed game just emerged on my radar, never heard about it before today. Might as well detail my findings here for those interested in this type of game.....Gamespot just gave it a 9, Steam reviews are "Mostly Positive", and the PC Metacritic score is currently at 83. Apparently it came out of early access a few weeks ago.

I'm a huge racing game fan but I also love this sub-genre where there is a lot of destruction and this game seems like it has some great physics. This genre is under-represented on consoles....they have that Crossout Free 2 play game which I played a little but didn't think it was anything too great. Mad Max is awesome but it is not really a destruction derby type racer. I love OnRush and Burnout but there is no emphasis on the destruction physics, they just don't look as elaborate as they do in this game. Definitely keeping an eye out on this one

Synopsis from Steam: "Wreckfest is a demolition derby themed racing game with soft-body damage modeling, sophisticated driving dynamics and in-depth vehicle upgrading, featuring both demolition derbies and more traditional track races. It’s all about fun, breakneck racing and over-the-top crashes."

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Yeah looking forward to it, and really enjoy Bugbears other games (Flatout series & Ridge Racer Unbounded) look forward to playing some demolition derby in this :)

ZmanBarzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ZmanBarzel
Member since 2014 • 3138 Posts

Is this what Bugbear’s “Next Car Game” demo/Early Access morphed in to? I remember the Giant Bomb crew doing an Unfinished video for it four or five years ago.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1678 Posts

I haven't bought a racing game in about 4 or 5 years. Looks like I'll be buying Wreckfest and Forza H4 this year.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@heathen75 said:

I haven't bought a racing game in about 4 or 5 years. Looks like I'll be buying Wreckfest and Forza H4 this year.

You should get FH3 also as its the best racing game you can currently get.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1678 Posts

@i_p_daily said:
@heathen75 said:

You should get FH3 also as its the best racing game you can currently get.

Downloaded when it was on games with gold awhile back. It's my current drinking game. I like to watch my skills deteriorate over the course of a 6 pack. Probably play it tomorrow with the day off.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Interesting I don't believe I played this dev's previous racers all that much, good to know they have that experience.....watched a few more videos of this game, and basically my research is complete, day 1 for me.....the destruction physics look amazing....the main gripe of the Gamespot reviewer was the UI(not a big deal for me, could be improved for console release) and the music, which is a matter of personal taste and can be turned off