Dark Souls Help (yes, Ornstein and friggin Smough)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DexterDarkly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DexterDarkly
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
So, I know there are many topics online that discuss this but none have helped me just yet. So here's my deal; I am level 62, mostly a strength/dex build with a Fire Halberd +5, Lightning Great Scythe, Divine Claymore +2, and all the standard awesome armor (silver knight, havel's, etc.). I usually prefer light armor and really don't have much trouble with any standard enemies but Ornstein and Smough just are too much for me so far. I tried going human and I just got invaded and killed (may have been a gravelord thing because he wouldn't be banished when I used the banishing stone), but maybe I was just unlucky. Is co-op the best way to defeat these guys or should I just use the keep backing up and slashing Ornstein strategy? I know the battle will be tough regardless but I'm having a ton of trouble here. I purposely made the shield from the moonlight butterfly soul but am unsure how to use it properly (heard it enhances right hand weapon) to make sure it scales right. So in everyone's experience, what is the best strategy for beating these chumps? Like I said, I prefer using the Gold hemmed armor for speed but maybe tanking it is the way to go because right now I'm not having much luck. I got Ornstein down to a third of health left but got stuck on a friggin support trying to roll away and was blown away by Smough. If anyone found a way to make this more even of a fight, I'd really appreciate any input. I really want to get past this to get the Lordvessel and right now I am kind of up against a wall with these guys. Thanks people. Praise the Sun!
ez_moneymaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ez_moneymaker
Member since 2006 • 1211 Posts
Isnt this a ps3 exclusive?
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
Isnt this a ps3 exclusive?ez_moneymaker
no.
Avatar image for RurouniSaiyajin
RurouniSaiyajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RurouniSaiyajin
Member since 2007 • 4951 Posts

If you're having trouble, the best way to deal with this fight is to summon Solaire. His summon sign can be found in the room with the white veil leading to the boss battle on the stairs opposite of the one you enter the room from. Taking them on with Solaire turns this into a straight forward 1 vs 1 battle. Solaire takes one, you take the other.

DexterDarkly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DexterDarkly
That's what I thought. I know with Quelaag, I needed to just figure out she was weak on the right and then I beat her but man, Ornstein and Smough had my number. Thanks. I'll likely head back to the Undead Burg to farm for some humanity then make my way back. I just hope their aren't more invasions or gravelord asses or whatever they are when I come back to Anor Londo. Thanks for your help, sometimes I guess with Dark Souls we just need reassurance that these things are actually doable. Praise the Sun! Be wary of despair......
DexterDarkly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DexterDarkly
Demon Souls was a PS3 exclusive, but Dark Souls (sequel) is on all consoles. I'm guessing that's what you were thinking.
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
That's what I thought. I know with Quelaag, I needed to just figure out she was weak on the right and then I beat her but man, Ornstein and Smough had my number. Thanks. I'll likely head back to the Undead Burg to farm for some humanity then make my way back. I just hope their aren't more invasions or gravelord asses or whatever they are when I come back to Anor Londo. Thanks for your help, sometimes I guess with Dark Souls we just need reassurance that these things are actually doable. Praise the Sun! Be wary of despair......DexterDarkly
Praise the Sun!
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#8 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

If you're having trouble just take your sword/wand, and/or your shield and attack them until they die. Avoid taking damage yourself so you don't die.

Boom, protip.

Avatar image for deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
Member since 2006 • 6013 Posts

To me the fight was really easy but a pain in the ass because in order to kill them I had to be in human form and would get invaded a lot...

Just go human and summon an npc from the order of light. The more armor it has, the better.

Your objective is to kill the fastest enemy while both of them attack the summoned npc, after that the fight against the fat one is extremely easy, just run behind a pillar if he charges, if he doesn,t run around him attacking while you can and if he jumps in the air just run away and come back quickly.

Believe me, it doesn't look like so, but the fight was easy once you learn his patterns.

I was lower level than you I think and didn't had much trouble.

DexterDarkly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DexterDarkly
Yep. Summoning another player was the way to go. Some dude summoned for me and had ridiculously strong Soul Arrows and the fight ended without me using an estus flask once. We just pummeled Ornstein (he's not that tough by himself) and then the fight with Smough was laughable thanks to my helper's soul arrows. It was pretty surprising how easy the fight became with some help. Thanks for the tips guys.
DexterDarkly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DexterDarkly

If you're having trouble just take your sword/wand, and/or your shield and attack them until they die. Avoid taking damage yourself so you don't die.

Boom, protip.

SPYDER0416
Well that was a waste of your and my time......