Damn it... I just got the 3 rings on my 1 month old Elite

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Aim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Aim
Member since 2002 • 149 Posts

I've had the Elite for about one month. Yes, I would play the console for hours. Especially on the weekends. I had even fallen asleep for 6-8 hours with the console still on. It worked great. No issues. And of course I'd turn it off when I'd step out of my apartment. I also have it well ventilated. It sits on my bottom glass shelf away from everything. It gets plenty of air.

So I was just playing the demo to the Simpsons. I was enjoying myself and then my 32" lcd tv shuts off. I'm stunned and then I turn it back on. I look at my Elite to find the 3 rings. I quickly turned it off and I restarted the system. It started perfectly. Oh, and I had been playing for a few hours before this incident.

So my question is, should I worry about this? Should I immediately contact Microsoft? Or will this happen again? What should I do?

I'm very disappointed. I'm an ex PC gamer who would game for hours and never once did my PC overheat.

:cry:

Blk-Gnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Blk-Gnome
Member since 2006 • 1247 Posts

give MS a ring.

yeah, its unfortunate...this is the only console i can recall like this either =/

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 TheGTAvaccine
Member since 2004 • 3591 Posts
Bah you should call MS but that's kind of disconcerning for me being an Elite owner aswell. :(
Aim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Aim

give MS a ring.

yeah, its unfortunate...this is the only console i can recall like this either =/

Blk-Gnome

Yea, you could abuse the PS2 and Nintendo and they would still work perfectly. Every time.

Aim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Aim

Bah you should call MS but that's kind of disconcerning for me being an Elite owner aswell. :(TheGTAvaccine

Yep. I treat my stuff like gold. I'm very cautious about my electronics. Hell my dell notebook is sometimes on for days and it still works perfectly. 2 years later.

:(

Avatar image for deactivated-5f033ecf40fed
deactivated-5f033ecf40fed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 deactivated-5f033ecf40fed
Member since 2004 • 2665 Posts
[QUOTE="Blk-Gnome"]

give MS a ring.

Aim

Yea, you could abuse the PS2 and Nintendo and they would still work perfectly. Every time.

The early iterations of the PS2 had problems with their laser lenses that led to a class-action lawsuit which resulted in Sony giving free repairs to anyone struck by that problem until early 2005. That sounds to me an awful lot like a machine that couldn't be abused and still work. It also sounds an awful lot like the current problems with the 360. The 360 isn't the first machine to have problems.

karmageddon2k4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 karmageddon2k4
Member since 2004 • 919 Posts

what was the manufacture date on ur elite?

im curious if this is an old elite or the latest version

ravage77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ravage77
Member since 2006 • 390 Posts
I'm in the same boat, but my Elite is working. Maybe mine was a one time ring of death. I'm going to check my date a little later on to see when mine was manufactured..... man....
_RA0_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 _RA0_
Member since 2007 • 855 Posts
lol? i had my Elite powered on ever since this summer and nothing happened yet and yes i play atleast 6hrs during the weekend. hmmm interesting
GlassDominion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 GlassDominion
Member since 2007 • 1313 Posts

lol? i had my Elite powered on ever since this summer and nothing happened yet and yes i play atleast 6hrs during the weekend. hmmm interesting_RA0_

hmmm interesting what? you dont believe him?

Aim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Aim

I'm wondering if it is a issue w/ my power? When this happened my tv turned off. I have heard that when the Xbox isn't connected properly the lights will appear. I don't know..

Anyway, I fired up the Conan demo and played thru it and my tv turned off. The Xbox followed next. No lights though. I waited an hour fired up the Conandemo and played through it all. No issues. But then again I didn't stay on the console/tv for no more than 20 minutes. All fine.

Hmm...

Teh_gamer05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Teh_gamer05
Member since 2005 • 840 Posts
Pics or it didnt happen.Shade-Blade
QFT
GlassDominion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 GlassDominion
Member since 2007 • 1313 Posts

I'm wondering if it is a issue w/ my power? When this happened my tv turned off. I have heard that when the Xbox isn't connected properly the lights will appear. I don't know..

Anyway, I fired up the Conan demo and played thru it and my tv turned off. The Xbox followed next. No lights though. I waited an hour fired up the Conandemo and played through it all. No issues. But then again I didn't stay on the console/tv for no more than 20 minutes. All fine.

Hmm...

Aim

just leave it on for a long time.

you dont want to get stuck with a dieing 360.

your might be on the way out, and you dont want to live with a defective 360 for months.

swizzlar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 swizzlar
Member since 2005 • 638 Posts
mine been freezing lately. and it happens when im playing gears. its begining to piss me off. i have had it for like 4 weeks now
mattisgod01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 mattisgod01
Member since 2005 • 3476 Posts
I blame China
Avatar image for 2headedhawaiian
2headedhawaiian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#18 2headedhawaiian
Member since 2005 • 1531 Posts

[QUOTE="Shade-Blade"]Pics or it didnt happen.Teh_gamer05
QFT

I'm sorry, but that is a laughable sentiment. Who takes the time to snap some photos in the midst of a potential RROD when there's still time to actually, you know, DO SOMETHING to fix the situation. I'm a proud PS3 owner, but blind allegiance (re:fanboyism) drives me nuts on both sides of the aisle.

As a hopeful near future X360 owner, these horror stories continue to dissuade me. It's unfortunate, because almost everything else about the console is extremely appealing.

Spartan_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Spartan_3
Member since 2004 • 411 Posts

Power surges DO cause temporary RROD. I wouldn't be worried. I had the same exact thing happen to my 06 Premium while it was a stormy day.

If your LCD shut off too, I'm 100% sure you had a power fluctuation. The 360 not receiving enough power was a result of this. Though if you wan't to claim your warranty and won't mind missing a few weeks of no play, go for it. But just giving you reassurance that it does happen through a power surge temporarily.

Chirico_Cuvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 Chirico_Cuvie
Member since 2003 • 842 Posts

The PS2 was one of the worst consoles for problems, talk about revisionist history.

Franchise2k6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Franchise2k6
Member since 2005 • 2052 Posts

[QUOTE="Shade-Blade"]Pics or it didnt happen.xploded

what the hell is wrong with you? this things happen. Live with it fanboy. ur pissin me off.

hahaha yea seriously

Sharvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#24 Sharvie
Member since 2006 • 8895 Posts
Ouch, that suck. Good luck getting it repaired.
Roushrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Roushrsh
Member since 2005 • 3351 Posts
Good thing you have a 3 year warranty :)
F1sTDaCuffS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 F1sTDaCuffS
Member since 2005 • 2570 Posts

I've had the Elite for about one month. Yes, I would play the console for hours. Especially on the weekends. I had even fallen asleep for 6-8 hours with the console still on. It worked great. No issues. And of course I'd turn it off when I'd step out of my apartment. I also have it well ventilated. It sits on my bottom glass shelf away from everything. It gets plenty of air.

So I was just playing the demo to the Simpsons. I was enjoying myself and then my 32" lcd tv shuts off. I'm stunned and then I turn it back on. I look at my Elite to find the 3 rings. I quickly turned it off and I restarted the system. It started perfectly. Oh, and I had been playing for a few hours before this incident.

So my question is, should I worry about this? Should I immediately contact Microsoft? Or will this happen again? What should I do?

I'm very disappointed. I'm an ex PC gamer who would game for hours and never once did my PC overheat.

:cry:

Aim

dont worrie it happend to me too. on an elite. www.youtube.com/f2st i got it back in 14days. tip top and im happy.

Dark-Razor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Dark-Razor
Member since 2007 • 27 Posts
Elites can get the 3 red lites
catrocr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 catrocr
Member since 2004 • 1127 Posts

Hmm...

Aim

Double and triple check the power cord connection to the 360. I got the RROD TWO DAYS after I bought an Elite but it turns out that I didn't have the power plug plugged in all the way. I've been playing the 360 EVERY DAY for about 5-6 hours since September 14th and no more problems (so about 170 total hours of playing time with no hiccups!).

Also, double and triple check the AV or HDMI connections from the 360 to your TV. Power cycle fluctuations from EITHER machine can cause the other to die.

Also also, make sure you have no static build up when messing with these sensitive electronics!

Hope this helps :)

Dark-Razor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Dark-Razor
Member since 2007 • 27 Posts

i had 3 red lites but i just turned my 360 off then back on good as gold

jamie1991_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jamie1991_1
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
my advice is if it happens again dont carry on playing i did and iv fryed the cpu solder beyond repair and now im completely pissed!!!!!!!!!!!!
Chaism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Chaism
Member since 2007 • 600 Posts

I think like others have said, It may be worth checking into at the moment but if it was a power flux sounds like it was just the system upset at the sudden shut down.

It is saddly going to be more accepted to have these consoles fail more and more. Sense they are so complex I mean look at the oringal nientendo.

IF only life was like the oringinal nes and i could just blow all my problems away.

SirCokerThe1st

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SirCokerThe1st
Member since 2007 • 286 Posts
hahaha, i laugh at you, i'm laughing at you, we're laughing at you. But on the inside we are all crying for you.
rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts

Damn it... why can't people learn to use the sticky threads as intended. ;)

Sucks for you, but use the sticky thread otherwise this will more than likely just be another locked topic.

EnderSR388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 EnderSR388
Member since 2004 • 6552 Posts
I would be pretty upset if I had bought a 360 and it RROD after a month! I had my 360 since 2/10/06, so I can't really complain, since it lasted a lot longer than most peoples have. It just died 2 weeks ago (10/3). The manufacture date was 12/24/05, so it was a pretty old system and I played it almost everyday as well.
devjmoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 devjmoore
Member since 2007 • 103 Posts
Yo, I had that happen to me. After it had happened, I disconnected and unplugged everyting. Then, I reconnected and plugged everthingup. It worked fineafterwards,but after a few games of Halo, it crashedagain. But you know what my dumb a$$ discovered? I discover that the Elite doesn't get adequate power from a power strip. I had to plug it into the wall outlet. I should haveknown that from the start. And I call myself a tech guy...sheesh.
kevbo77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 kevbo77
Member since 2003 • 656 Posts

Power surges DO cause temporary RROD. I wouldn't be worried. I had the same exact thing happen to my 06 Premium while it was a stormy day.

If your LCD shut off too, I'm 100% sure you had a power fluctuation. The 360 not receiving enough power was a result of this. Though if you wan't to claim your warranty and won't mind missing a few weeks of no play, go for it. But just giving you reassurance that it does happen through a power surge temporarily.

Spartan_3

I second this. Power surge for sure.

Iceman029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Iceman029
Member since 2007 • 28 Posts

Now I see why so many people complain about RROD...there just misinformed! Guys...look...the guys tv shut down too: why will this guys send his 360 to repair? Because he got a (false)RROD due to a power outtage? C'mon! Thats ridiculous...thisis exactly how this whole RROD gets out of proportion! His XBOX 360 is perfectly fine.

READ YOUR XBOX 360 INSTRUCTION MANUAL!

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#38 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Yes, I would play the console for hours. Especially on the weekends. I had even fallen asleep for 6-8 hours with the console still on.

Aim
Uh, about that. If you have a warranty you can call the toll free number and they'll replace every faulty one for free.
VD_Demon-101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 VD_Demon-101
Member since 2005 • 3186 Posts

wow 1 month :shock:

My 360 died on the 7th and is at the repair center.

Ebowe2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ebowe2002
Member since 2005 • 63 Posts
[QUOTE="Spartan_3"]

kevbo77

I second this. Power surge for sure.

I also agree. I've had this happen twice on power surges for me. Hopefully that was all it was for you too.