Convince a casual fan to like Xbox as much as Sony/Sega/Nintendo

This topic is locked from further discussion.

enzoeleazar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1 enzoeleazar
Member since 2013 • 80 Posts

I've always been a PS/Nintendo gamer and Sega too in my childhood. Xbox never seemed to click with me and I don't know why. Maybe it's too similar to what PS can offer. Don't get me wrong though, I still admire what I've heard of Xbox through the years. But I'm curious if anyone can convince me to like the brand at the same level as the other three.

tzolynski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2 tzolynski
Member since 2013 • 90 Posts

It's all about exclusives, and if you play online imo. I have owned every PS, and every Xbox made and that's what it comes down to for me. Is there a particular reason your having these thoughts? A game or anything that is swaying you?

Also is Nintendo even relevent? Wii u is dying so unless your still playing your old school Nintendo, I'm not sure how they made your list. Don't get me wrong I loved my Nintendo, that's my childhood.

enzoeleazar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 enzoeleazar

@tzolynski: That's one thing, the online infrastructure's more stable on Xbox. I just thought about it when I realized Xbox was lagging behind my gaming wishlist. Nintendo really is past their glory days but Wii U's slowly turning into the next Dreamcast with all these gems like Splatoon. Love watching playthroughs of that.

tzolynski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By tzolynski

I have really enjoyed mine. I bought a PS4 and Xone at launch, and ended up dealing my PS4. I like the Xone controller better, and always have. I like shooters, so games like halo and gears are a good draw for me. I enjoyed my time spent with sunset overdrive also, was a good game to pick up and be able to put down whenever, but for me that's what it came to. I was actually gonna re buy a PS4 when the order 1886 came out but then it was a big old flop so backed off. I really like uncharted, GOW, and I might be the only one hoping for another twisted metal but loved that too. For me the kinds of games I play dictated what I kept. Whenever I play a game online I have always had a better experience on live, and I play online a lot these days. I will own a PS4 again but it might not be for a few. I was never able to notice much diff in graphics during gameplay, so pick the console with the games that suit you most.

Do you own a current gen console?

kingcrimson24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#5 kingcrimson24
Member since 2012 • 824 Posts

It's kinda a weird post . I mean , Console and games themselves convinced us to like it , and it didn't convince many people . because people have different tastes . like when I was a kid I was big Sci fi fan , I was reading sci fi books and comics all the time . and then this awesome sci fi shooter called Halo came out ( along with starwars KOTOR) and made me like Xbox . you know , its just some sort of feeling when something becomes a big part of your childhood you will always like it . even when its losing in sales 3-1 to PS4 , I still have that feeling . we can't really convince you to like something . if you don't enjoy Xbox games or it's overall atmosphere and UI then we can't.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#6 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

In what are you interested ? I like games such as Halo and Gears, those can only be played in a Xbox system ----> I get a Xbox, on the other hand, I like games such as Killzone or God Of War, those can only be played in a PS system ----> I get a PS system, I like games like COD and that can be found in both systems. The only "troublesome" system is Nintendo, I like games such as Donkey Kong and those can only be found in a Nintendo system but since 3 rd party games in Nintendo systems are less than half the game I have Nintendo systems to play Nintendo games almost exclusively.

Plain and simple, I don´t need anybody to "convince me" to purchase X or Y, here the only problem is finding out which one I´m going to purchase first.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

I've owned every Xbox, Playstation, and Nintendo console; and for me, the top two things that Xbox has over Sony and Nintendo is their controller and online service.

The Xbox controllers are by far my favorite, so much so, that I will buy all multiplats on my Xbox consoles for this reason alone.

And when it comes to online gaming, Xbox Live is the gold standard. Xbox revolutionized online gaming and has continued to deliver the best online service for the past 13 years. Sony and Nintendo have never done anything to make online gaming better; they only copy features from Xbox Live years after Microsoft first implements them, and still to this day, Nintendo and Sony's online services are really crappy compared to Xbox Live; in terms of features, performance, and stability.

tzolynski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tzolynski

I buy a console for the games I like to play, not the name on a piece of plastic. So many people are so brand loyal that they miss out on great games. If you are buying right meow, I say xone. The deals that will be offered for holiday bundles will be great. It's already been leaked that you can pick up a xone with an extra remote, gears of War, and fallout 4 for 299. With all the multiplies that are coming for the holiday season plus halo 5 and TR I think you will be busy for awhile. Not to mention backwards compatibility in mid November. Right now is a great time to buy an Xone.

enzoeleazar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 enzoeleazar

So everyone’s saying the controller and online stability is better. Stability doesn’t seem like a system seller for me because the gap with PS4 isn’t that significant from what I know. I also won’t be socializing a lot online and I think many of XBL’s killer features are for chat, etc.

XBO will probably kick ass this holiday with all the deals, BC and “best lineup in Xbox history”. The thing is though, I keep only one console every generation and I need a console with a varied lineup and so far PS4’s winning in that regard. Xbox has always been known as a shooter/AAA game system. On the multiplat side there’s only a slight difference but still when most games of that type are better on one system you’ve got to get that one especially for me because I’d like to get the most bang for my buck. Exclusives on the other hand are about even IMO when you take in things further down the line (Sony wins 2016 and Xbox does 2015). BC probably won’t benefit me because I haven’t owned an Xbox in the past. I don’t own a current-gen console yet and that might be one of the reasons I thought of this thread.

And sorry if I came across as someone who buys because of the brand. Like I said above, I pick the console where I’d get the best value. Xbox just never led the pack in terms of my admiration and the reasons aren’t that clear to me. But I agree if anyone’s looking for a nice controller, tons of AAA games and exceptional online features then XBO’s the way to go.

mjf249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#10 mjf249
Member since 2004 • 3000 Posts

I probably like Xbox mostly because I was a Sega gamer growing up.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

@enzoeleazar: For me the fact the Xbox is a gaming console is reason enough to like it. When the original Xbox first came around in my eyes it was an extension of the recently deceased Dreamcast with loads of support from Sega, from there it evolved into an industry leader with Xbox Live and the 360. Before that I had an Atari, NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, and a PS1, which shortly after buying an Xbox I added the PS2, Dreamcast, AND GameCube. To me, the game is more important than the brand, I don't judge any game based on what box I play it on, or what other game it may resemble.

I also wouldn't be so quick to hand 2016 to the PS4 just yet. I wouldn't be surprised to see their biggest title, Horizon: Zero Dawn, get delayed into early 2017. While the X1 does have some great games coming next year, games like Scalebound, Quantum Break, Crackdown, Gears 4(may get delayed), Sea of Thieves, ReCore, and Cuphead. Plus keep in mind the games already out that will be new to you like Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Sunset Overdrive, All 5 Halo games, Rare Replay, The Forza games and Killer Instinct.

There's plenty of reason to 'like' the Xbox, and while you don't have to own an Xbox to like it, there's absolutely nothing wrong with having two consoles either. It's really the only way to play all the great games, and unless cost is a factor, there's no good reason to limit yourself.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

The main draw for xbox one is multiplayer and online co-op. You will find the best/most fun experiences with games Dead Rising 3, Titanfall, Forza Horizon 2, Sunset Overdrive, Halo 5/MCC, free to play (neverwinter, smite, world of tanks) and within time Fable Legends.

Some of these games didn't meet hype per system wars and might have mediocre scores on meta critic but you'll find the social aspects of co-op/multiplayer outweighing that(how I look at it).

Then looking into the future we have Sea of Thieves, Crackdown, Scalebound coming which bolsters the co-op/multiplayer gaming.

doggiezilla2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 doggiezilla2
Member since 2015 • 45 Posts

@enzoeleazar: It's because Xbox sucks.......

enzoeleazar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By enzoeleazar

@BigBadBully said:

The main draw for xbox one is multiplayer and online co-op. You will find the best/most fun experiences with games Dead Rising 3, Titanfall, Forza Horizon 2, Sunset Overdrive, Halo 5/MCC, free to play (neverwinter, smite, world of tanks) and within time Fable Legends.

Some of these games didn't meet hype per system wars and might have mediocre scores on meta critic but you'll find the social aspects of co-op/multiplayer outweighing that(how I look at it).

Then looking into the future we have Sea of Thieves, Crackdown, Scalebound coming which bolsters the co-op/multiplayer gaming.

That's actually a very good point. PS4's lacking in that regard, especially free to play games. I'm starting to like Xbox a bit more (controller, online stability, exclusives). I actually don't mind games rated 60-74 in Metacritic which they define as mixed reception. Bottomline seems to be if I play online multiplayer heavily then XBO's the way to go especially twitchy shooters because of the controller. It might be more of a 70/30 split between single/multiplayer for me though.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@doggiezilla2 said:

@enzoeleazar: It's because Xbox sucks.......

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@enzoeleazar said:

PS4's lacking in that regard, especially free to play games.

Correction for the sake of accuracy for future readers:

Actually, the PS4 has quite a few F2P games, just FYI. I avoid them like the plague on Xbone, PS4, PC, but I see them all the time being played by my friends on PS4/PC/Xbone, etc. The PS4 actually had F2P games on the machine first.

I actually did a check a few months back on my Xbone and PS4, and the PS4 actually had more Free to Play games than Xbone. Again, I was just looking to DL them for shits and giggles for family to play (because "FREE"), so I'm surprised to read you find the PS4 lacking in F2P games considering it has more than the other two competing consoles.

Perhaps you don't have the machine to check, you maybe never looked into it, or this is a case of advertising being better for some F2P over other F2P games, but here's a few links:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/games/free-to-play/

and

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/189831-the-best-free-games-on-the-ps4

I'm guessing the advertising is what has cause the confusion here.

It could just that there are more F2P games on PS be because the PS4 has a 300+ game library advantage over the Xbone, and it's simply a matter of numbers.

Certainly though at this point both Xbone and PS4 have F2P games for people to enjoy.

Have a good one.

enzoeleazar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 enzoeleazar

@SolidTy said:
@enzoeleazar said:

Actually, the PS4 has quite a few F2P games, just FYI. I avoid them like the plague on Xbone, PS4, PC, but I see them all the time being played by my friends on PS4/PC/Xbone, etc. The PS4 actually had F2P games on the machine first.

I actually did a check a few months back on my Xbone and PS4, and the PS4 actually had more Free to Play games than Xbone. Again, I was just looking to DL them for shits and giggles for family to play (because "FREE"), so I'm surprised to read you find the PS4 lacking in F2P games considering it has more than the other two competing consoles.

Perhaps you don't have the machine to check, you maybe never looked into it, or this is a case of advertising being better for some F2P over other F2P games, but here's a few links:

and

It could just that there are more F2P games on PS be because the PS4 has a 300+ game library advantage over the Xbone, and it's simply a matter of numbers.

Certainly though at this point both Xbone and PS4 have F2P games for people to enjoy.

Have a good one.

Well I did forget to acknowledge PS4's big lineup of games of that type, but Xbox One's lineup of FTP games looks like a more well-rounded group and that's what I meant. They look better and more polished. You got SMITE, Sea of Thieves, Fable Legends, etc. compared to PS4's usually indie or PC port stuff. They're miles above the stereotypical Free to Play game, which is just right for my taste.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@enzoeleazar said:
@SolidTy said:
@enzoeleazar said:

and

Have a good one.

Well I did forget to acknowledge PS4's big lineup of games of that type, but Xbox One's lineup of FTP games looks like a more well-rounded group and that's what I meant. They look better and more polished. You got SMITE, Sea of Thieves, Fable Legends, etc. compared to PS4's usually indie or PC port stuff. They're miles above the stereotypical Free to Play game, which is just right for my taste.

I see. To be fair, SMITE is also a PC port, but I understand.

It all comes down to what you are into, for sure.

Although, two of the games you listed as F2P games aren't released yet and therefore we can't determine the quality of them (Fable and Sea of Thieves).

Still, the PC port of SMITE did release on the Xbone console first (SMITE seems to be a timed deal behind the scenes LINK) and if that's what you meant, it's good that you are enjoying it.

It's always nice to find games that you enjoy. :)

I already own an Xbone, but if did not...and I loved SMITE and wanted to play it on console right now, I'd get an Xbone for it instead of waiting.

enzoeleazar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By enzoeleazar

@SolidTy said:
@enzoeleazar said:
@SolidTy said:
@enzoeleazar said:

and

Have a good one.

I see. To be fair, SMITE is also a PC port, but I understand.

It all comes down to what you are into, for sure.

Although, two of the games you listed as F2P games aren't released yet and therefore we can't determine the quality of them (Fable and Sea of Thieves).

Still, the PC port of SMITE did release on the Xbone console first (SMITE seems to be a timed deal behind the scenes LINK) and if that's what you meant, it's good that you are enjoying it.

It's always nice to find games that you enjoy. :)

I already own an Xbone, but if did not...and I loved SMITE and wanted to play it on console right now, I'd get an Xbone for it instead of waiting.

Well, okay. This might drag on and on if I explain my previous post again but...good job with the Free to Play lineup on PS4 clarification, some might have been confused, in hindsight. :)

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@enzoeleazar said:
@SolidTy said:
@enzoeleazar said:

and

Have a good one.

So I'm guessing you didn't play Fable Legends lol

"Miles above"

Yes, they are, if you don't know what "miles above" means lol

enzoeleazar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 enzoeleazar

@Jaysonguy said:
@enzoeleazar said:
@SolidTy said:
@enzoeleazar said:

and

Have a good one.

So I'm guessing you didn't play Fable Legends lol

"Miles above"

Yes, they are, if you don't know what "miles above" means lol

Well you already know I didn't if you read my post. I said they look better, and even more polished. I haven't played them and if I had I would state my opinion on their quality. They look like big-budget productions compared to standard FTP stuff, which I'm sure everyone has an idea of.

undergroundLPx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 undergroundLPx
Member since 2003 • 710 Posts

I just switched over from PS4 and Xbox provides a funner experience. The UI/Xbox Live make your gaming experience feel richer, more dynamic. You feel like there's always something going on. Once I turn on the console, I feel like I'm presented with a thousands ways to get entertained. The community is also more social, there is more interaction... again the console feels more alive than the PS4 does. Gaming / Social / TV / Apps / Community... it's all here.

enzoeleazar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 enzoeleazar

@undergroundLPx said:

I just switched over from PS4 and Xbox provides a funner experience. The UI/Xbox Live make your gaming experience feel richer, more dynamic. You feel like there's always something going on. Once I turn on the console, I feel like I'm presented with a thousands ways to get entertained. The community is also more social, there is more interaction... again the console feels more alive than the PS4 does. Gaming / Social / TV / Apps / Community... it's all here.

I'm expecting a lot from the new UI, given all the attention it's getting. The app ecosystem is a nice extra, but I don't see myself going past the usual stuff that every device has.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44033 Posts

Buy One or Phil will have one of his henchmen leave a horse's head in your bed tonight. Convinced now? :P

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 suicidesn0wman

@enzoeleazar: I've been using the new UI for the past month now and I love it. It's definitely an improvement over the previous UI. I also agree with @undergroundLPx on the fact the Xbox One does everything. Sure, the PS4 has a slight advantage in graphics, but suffer for it in frame rates on a lot of games. I personally own both the PS4 and Xbox One, and own 6 or 7 games on both consoles that I play on two tv's side by side, and I cannot tell the difference between the two consoles graphically.

enzoeleazar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By enzoeleazar

@suicidesn0wman said:

@enzoeleazar: I've been using the new UI for the past month now and I love it. It's definitely an improvement over the previous UI. I also agree with @undergroundLPx on the fact the Xbox One does everything. Sure, the PS4 has a slight advantage in graphics, but suffer for it in frame rates on a lot of games. I personally own both the PS4 and Xbox One, and own 6 or 7 games on both consoles that I play on two tv's side by side, and I cannot tell the difference between the two consoles graphically.

The graphics advantage of PS4 might be similar to the online stability of Xbox I was mentioning several posts ago. They're not that big on their own to warrant a purchase over the other console. Can you say if the new UI has a better feel than PS4's? Does it feel faster, more responsive, easier to use?

Avatar image for thecouchpotater
TheCouchPotater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TheCouchPotater
Member since 2015 • 239 Posts

@undergroundLPx said:

I own both, and this is definitely something I notice about the Xbox One presentation. The PS4 experience feels more sterile in comparison, IMO.

From TC's posts I'd say he should probably stick with the Playstation, as he already has a familiarity with the brand. However, if he's interested in trying something new, the Xbox One is a great system in it's own right and is totally worth picking up.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 suicidesn0wman

@enzoeleazar:

@enzoeleazar said:
@suicidesn0wman said:

The graphics advantage of PS4 might be similar to the online stability of Xbox I was mentioning several posts ago. They're not that big on their own to warrant a purchase over the other console. Can you say if the new UI has a better feel than PS4's? Does it feel faster, more responsive, easier to use?

I think the answer to that question depends on the individual. For me I tend to lean towards the Xbox side of the console wars(45 X1 games vs 16 PS4 games), so my view will obviously be skewed to favor the Xbox. But to me, the PS4 dash hasn't changed hardly at all from the one my PS3 had on launch day. It's very, very stale and cumbersome. The original X1 dash was fresh(not saying I liked it, just that it was different), but more cumbersome. The new one seems to address all the issues imo. It's sleek, its fast, and it doesn't quite feel in the way as much as the old one. However I would say you might like the PS4 dash more due to your familiarity with that style of dash, it will feel fairly comfortable to you.

The things I like the most are double tapping the Xbox button and having my friends list automatically slide in from the left, on the home screen I can pin my games, and use the right trigger to go right to my pins. It is by no means perfect, they're still tinkering with it, it's not as easy to view achievements anymore which is kind of a big deal, but for a good 90% of what it does, it performs better than the old one.

I will say this, if you have a Best Buy or Gamestop near by with demo stations, the PS4 demo machines use the same dash as the retail console, or at least did when I used to sell them. That is one way to see how you feel about the PS4's dash. Plus the X1 will be updated in a week with the new dash, maybe you could try it at a friends house?

JohnTrollvolta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JohnTrollvolta
Member since 2015 • 15 Posts

Halo 5, + Xbox TV features.

There

/topic

enzoeleazar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By enzoeleazar

@suicidesn0wman said:

@enzoeleazar:

@enzoeleazar said:
@suicidesn0wman said:

I think the answer to that question depends on the individual. For me I tend to lean towards the Xbox side of the console wars(45 X1 games vs 16 PS4 games), so my view will obviously be skewed to favor the Xbox. But to me, the PS4 dash hasn't changed hardly at all from the one my PS3 had on launch day. It's very, very stale and cumbersome. The original X1 dash was fresh(not saying I liked it, just that it was different), but more cumbersome. The new one seems to address all the issues imo. It's sleek, its fast, and it doesn't quite feel in the way as much as the old one. However I would say you might like the PS4 dash more due to your familiarity with that style of dash, it will feel fairly comfortable to you.

The things I like the most are double tapping the Xbox button and having my friends list automatically slide in from the left, on the home screen I can pin my games, and use the right trigger to go right to my pins. It is by no means perfect, they're still tinkering with it, it's not as easy to view achievements anymore which is kind of a big deal, but for a good 90% of what it does, it performs better than the old one.

I will say this, if you have a Best Buy or Gamestop near by with demo stations, the PS4 demo machines use the same dash as the retail console, or at least did when I used to sell them. That is one way to see how you feel about the PS4's dash. Plus the X1 will be updated in a week with the new dash, maybe you could try it at a friends house?

My thoughts exactly. PS4's UI looks similar to PS3's and it was never cumbersome to me. That at least removes one of the sore points of getting an Xbox One purchase (from what I read of GS's Year One review). I live in another country that seldom has demo stations in my area, sadly. I only know one person who has an Xbox and it's the original one (we're more of a PlayStation country). Thanks for that post!

Avatar image for deactivated-5938196c2bbcb
deactivated-5938196c2bbcb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5938196c2bbcb
Member since 2013 • 344 Posts

I have a PS4 myself but I do find myself sometimes wanting to play excellent titles such as Sunset Overdrive. Hopefully I might consider buying the Xbone at some point with enough cash in hand.