Confused about Xbox Live

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Demonic_Jin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 0

#1 Demonic_Jin
Member since 2005 • 10650 Posts

Hey, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this.

But I recently got an Xbox 360, and also got a 12 month subscription for Xbox Live. But when I try and connect it says my Network Adapter is disconnected. I've tried everything I know of, and I can't get it to work, but online play on my Wii worked fine the last time I tried that...

Is that meant to mean that I have to buy some sort of adapter that enables online play for the 360? Or am I just doing something wrong...

DarthLukeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 DarthLukeboy
Member since 2005 • 1922 Posts

But I recently got an Xbox 360, and also got a 12 month subscription for Xbox Live. But when I try and connect it says my Network Adapter is disconnected. I've tried everything I know of, and I can't get it to work, but online play on my Wii worked fine the last time I tried that...

Is that meant to mean that I have to buy some sort of adapter that enables online play for the 360? Or am I just doing something wrong...

Demonic_Jin

It doesn't come with Wi-Fi installed, so you either have to use the Ethernet cable and plug it straight into the modem or get a Wifi adapter... I'm looking for one myself, actually.

DarthLukeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DarthLukeboy
[QUOTE="Demonic_Jin"]

DarthLukeboy

It doesn't come with Wi-Fi installed, so you either have to use the Ethernet cable and plug it straight into the modem or get a Wifi adapter... I'm looking for one myself, actually.

Sorry, meant to say with a wifi RECIEVER installed.

Demonic_Jin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Demonic_Jin
modem as in...the 360 or an internet modem? (im a technology noob >_> )
DarthLukeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DarthLukeboy

modem as in...the 360 or an internet modem? (im a technology noob >_> )Demonic_Jin

Like, your internet modem... You know, the main Internet reciever thing. I'm not very good at the tech names...

Basically, it has to go to the computer where the main Internet connection is set up. Or wherever the modem for it is in your house.

Demonic_Jin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Demonic_Jin

[QUOTE="Demonic_Jin"]modem as in...the 360 or an internet modem? (im a technology noob >_> )DarthLukeboy

Like, your internet modem... You know, the main Internet reciever thing. I'm not very good at the tech names...

Basically, it has to go to the computer where the main Internet connection is set up. Or wherever the modem for it is in your house.

okay...so then...am i correct in assuming this is wireless? (as in...no wires ethernet wires connecting to the xbox)
DarthLukeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DarthLukeboy
Ok, in order to be connected to XBL you'll have to have an ethernet wire in your 360 - it will either lead to the wifi adapter, or your modem. I'm not an expert on this, but that's what has to happen for XBL.
ivanivan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 ivanivan
Member since 2003 • 1644 Posts

If you have an elite then it should be wireless i i think. Otherwise you need to buy one of these http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7457432&type=product&id=1126591945477or connect it through ethernet to a router or directly to your modem.

Demonic_Jin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Demonic_Jin

ok i got it now haha

thanks a lot

MrXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 MrXIII
Member since 2005 • 148 Posts
Also look at the instruction manual that comes with the 360. It has diagrams and tells you pretty much what you need to do.
ctifer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 ctifer1
Member since 2007 • 147 Posts
You have to have an adapter hooked up to your XBox. You can either go the USB route for the wireless one, or go to the Ethernet one used for the old XBox which can be found on eBay for cheap. Careful though. My buddy just got FiOS from Verizon and his wireless USB Adapter doesn't work with his router they issued, so I swapped him my old wired ethernet adapter for his USB. We're both happy now :)
miiiguel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#12 miiiguel
Member since 2005 • 1940 Posts

If your router is near the 360 use a ethernet cable, if not I highly recomend 360's official wireless adapter, allthough a bit expensive is works flawlessly (and itfits perfect,aesthetically), and most of all is truelly plug-n-play.

Last but not least, welcome! you got yourself a great system, me thinks.

miiiguel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#13 miiiguel
Member since 2005 • 1940 Posts

You have to have an adapter hooked up to your XBox. You can either go the USB route for the wireless one, or go to the Ethernet one used for the old XBox which can be found on eBay for cheap. Careful though. My buddy just got FiOS from Verizon and his wireless USB Adapter doesn't work with his router they issued, so I swapped him my old wired ethernet adapter for his USB. We're both happy now :)ctifer1

Not really mate, 360 has an ethernet on-board, not an wireless one, though. One just have to connect it to the router, or directly to the DSL/cable modem. Wireless is nicer, though.

MAKRYS07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 MAKRYS07
Member since 2007 • 172 Posts

yeah, u need to get a wireless network adapter.i got mine from walmart, they are about 100$, but like that guy said, work just fine. ull then plug that into the back of ur xbox 360 and then try the connection again. i had some trouble with my mtu packages not communicating to the modem. and my pc tech told me to turn off my pc, then unplug my wireless internet router, then unplug my cable/internet reciever (modem). and he said to wait for exactly 2 minutes. i did it, and then u plug the modem back in, then router, and then turn ur pc back on. and now xbox live works just fine. if ur xbox live still doesnt work after uv plugged in ur adapter, then i would recomend using this method.

and happy camping! enjoy xbox live! :)