Clarification: X1 used game sales. How it works. The simple truth.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 alexwatchtower
Member since 2010 • 1561 Posts

What you CAN DO:

-You can still go to any retailer that has agreed to MS's Terms of Service to sell your used game. 

-Retailers are free to charge whatever they want. 

-MS/Developers get a cut.

-When you sell a game, it gets wiped from your account. When a new person buys the used game, it gets added to theirs.

-You can still share games by going over to your friends house and using your account.

-You can share games by letting them have your account information.

-No direct fee for retail sales.

What is NOT clarified:

-No private sales, person-to-person sale?

-No rentals?

-Will Ebay be included?

-Unconfirmed: used game retailers cut to be only 10%. Less than what they are getting now.

UPDATE: "Many readers are asking whether the £35 will be additional cost on top of the price of buying the game. No, we believe that the £35 figure which is not our number, incidentally would cover the entire transaction. If correct this would leave retail with a cut per sale of around £3.50."

Publishers to receive cut of Xbox One pre-owned sales at retail

A gamer walks into a retailer and hands over the game they wish to sell. This will only be possible at retailers who have agreed to Microsofts T&Cs and more importantly integrated Microsofts cloud-based Azure pre-owned system into its own.

The game is then registered as having been trade-in on Microsofts system. The consumer who handed it over will subsequently see the game wiped from their account hence the until now ambiguous claim from Phil Harrison that the Xbox One would have to check in to Microsofts servers every 24 hours.

The retailer can then sell the pre-owned game at whatever price they like, although as part of the system the publisher of the title in question will automatically receive a percentage cut of the sale. As will Microsoft. The retailer will pocket the rest.

"While there have been many potential scenarios discussed, we have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail. Beyond that, we have not confirmed any specific scenarios. Another piece of clarification around playing games at a friends house should you choose to play your game at your friends house, there is no fee to play that game while you are signed in to your profile.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/publishers-to-receive-cut-of-xbox-one-pre-owned-sales-at-retail/0116137

Try to keep all the talk on this topic in here guys.

*Mods could you please lock all the other threads on this topic that have a lot of misinformation? I will try to update this with the other issues as it becomes available. Probably could use a sticky.

JohnFifteen12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 JohnFifteen12
Member since 2012 • 205 Posts

Greed will kill the industry, and it couldn't happen to a better group of people.

Lots of wake-up calls on the horizon...

XspidervenomX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 XspidervenomX
Member since 2011 • 372 Posts

THis post is all wrong.

There is a direct FEE. Its even listed on Gamespot. If you buy this game and your wife want to play it on her profile you will have to buy it again essentially. And any other family members wil pay the same fee to play it. YOu cant rent them, You just pay the fee, everyone will pay the fee to play it. On the tiny hard drive XBOX is pandering is cheap. ONE blue ray game is easily 50GB (MGS4) and thats for the outdated PS3.

Any way you perceive it dude its a rip off!

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

There is a direct FEE. Its even listed on Gamespot. If you buy this game and your wife want to play it on her profile you will have to buy it again essentially. And any other family members wil pay the same fee to play it. YOu cant rent them, You just pay the fee, everyone will pay the fee to play it. On the tiny hard drive XBOX is pandering is cheap. ONE blue ray game is easily 50GB (MGS4) and thats for the outdated PS3.

XspidervenomX

All lies and misinformation

alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 alexwatchtower

THis post is all wrong.

Any way you perceive it dude its a rip off!

XspidervenomX

Not for retail sales! 

The other part was never confirmed. So I'm just putting up what is actually confirmed.

They already said there is more information coming out and they have not released the details of that yet. Wife/Husband/3 kids I have no idea if they are really going to make people buy the game 5 times.. 

bronze_earth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 bronze_earth
Member since 2011 • 112 Posts

What you CAN DO:

-You can still go to any retailer that has agreed to MS's Terms of Service to sell your used game.

-Retailers are free to charge whatever they want.

-MS/Developers get a cut.

-When you sell a game, it gets wiped from your account. When a new person buys the used game, it gets added to theirs.

-You can still share games by going over to your friends house and using your account.

-You can share games by letting them have your account information.

-No direct fee for retail sales.

What is NOT clarified:

-No private sales, person-to-person sale?

-No rentals?

-Will Ebay be included?

-Unconfirmed: used game retailers cut to be only 10%. Less than what they are getting now.

Publishers to receive cut of Xbox One pre-owned sales at retail

A gamer walks into a retailer and hands over the game they wish to sell. This will only be possible at retailers who have agreed to Microsofts T&Cs and more importantly integrated Microsofts cloud-based Azure pre-owned system into its own.

The game is then registered as having been trade-in on Microsofts system. The consumer who handed it over will subsequently see the game wiped from their account hence the until now ambiguous claim from Phil Harrison that the Xbox One would have to check in to Microsofts servers every 24 hours.

The retailer can then sell the pre-owned game at whatever price they like, although as part of the system the publisher of the title in question will automatically receive a percentage cut of the sale. As will Microsoft. The retailer will pocket the rest.

"While there have been many potential scenarios discussed, we have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail. Beyond that, we have not confirmed any specific scenarios. Another piece of clarification around playing games at a friends house should you choose to play your game at your friends house, there is no fee to play that game while you are signed in to your profile.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/publishers-to-receive-cut-of-xbox-one-pre-owned-sales-at-retail/0116137alexwatchtower

Try to keep all the talk on this topic in here guys.

*Mods could you please lock all the other threads on this topic that have a lot of misinformation? I will try to update this with the other issues as it becomes available. Probably could use a sticky.

In the UK its going to cost £35 to buy and activate a USED game! that's $57 to you. both the retailer and MS will take a cut of that(retailer about 10%) MS will use its azure based functions to do this.

The Xbox will have to connect at least once every 24 hours either for game updates/running routines via the cloud or to check your game sales etc.

These are a few reasons im never buying an Xbox one. Im happy with sky and I can press a button on my TV remote to turn channels. read here.. http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57586048-75/microsoft-reportedly-to-take-cut-on-used-xbox-one-game-sales/

micky4889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 micky4889
Member since 2006 • 2668 Posts

I can understand devs being pissed of with used games and wanting % of a used game sale, because it is potentially a lot sale for them but why is MS getting yet another cut? So if a game is bought and traded in 3 times, Microsoft gets paid 3 times for the same game... That's laughable and I can see why they're so eager to push this. Microsofts posts skyrocketing profits from xbox every year thanks to LIVE fees, ads on the dashboard etc and yet they want to milk their underbase even more?

My interest is this console has gone form a 90% chance of buying it in the first 6 months to not at all.

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

I was always giving MY old games to my nephews to play when i was done with them. Screw MS.

alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 alexwatchtower

In the UK its going to cost £35 to buy and activate a USED game! that's $57 to you. both the retailer and MS will take a cut of that(retailer about 10%) MS will use its azure based functions to do this.

The Xbox will have to connect at least once every 24 hours either for game updates/running routines via the cloud or to check your game sales etc.

These are a few reasons im never buying an Xbox one. Im happy with sky and I can press a button on my TV remote to turn channels. read here.. http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57586048-75/microsoft-reportedly-to-take-cut-on-used-xbox-one-game-sales/

bronze_earth

Debunked.

UPDATE: Many readers are asking whether the £35 will be additional cost on top of the price of buying the game. No, we believe that the £35 figure which is not our number, incidentally would cover the entire transaction. If correct this would leave retail with a cut per sale of around £3.50.

There is a lot of misinformation coming out about the X1, even from known websites like IGN. I would advice everyone to let the dust settle and wait for official confirmation directly from Microsoft.

Remember the old saying "don't believe everything you read on the internet?" There is no better time than now to keep that in mind. It's not coming out tomorrow. 

JohnFifteen12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JohnFifteen12

There is a lot of misinformation coming out about the X1, even from known websites like IGN. I would advice everyone to let the dust settle and wait for official confirmation directly from Microsoft.

alexwatchtower

It is far too late for that, my friend. The genie is already out of the bottle, and gamers know that Microsoft made a huge overreach with the Xbox One.

Microsoft made a very big miscalculation in assuming that people would pretty much tolerate anything, and now they are paying the price for that.

I suspect that the fallout on this is going to be greater than we can even imagine, particularly if the price of the new Xbox One is high. If they price it very low, they might come out of this ok, but even that may not save them. They are in serious trouble, and they deserve to be.

alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 alexwatchtower

[QUOTE="alexwatchtower"]

JohnFifteen12

It is far too late for that, my friend. The genie is already out of the bottle, and gamers know that Microsoft made a huge overreach with the Xbox One.

Microsoft made a very big miscalculation in assuming that people would pretty much tolerate anything, and now they are paying the price for that.

I suspect that the fallout on this is going to be greater than we can even imagine, particularly if the price of the new Xbox One is high. If they price it very low, they might come out of this ok, but even that may not save them. They are in serious trouble, and they deserve to be.

It's never too late to get informed. Especially since it's not coming out until November. They're not paying for anything other than some temporary overreaction of fanboys going crazy in forums, half the time over incorrect information. That's not going to amount to anything in the long run.

You're the one paying for it wasting a lot of time and energy debating topics that are incomplete. Suit yourself, but it's in your best interest to get your facts straight.

JohnFifteen12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JohnFifteen12

It's never too late to get informed.

alexwatchtower

I think what you are failing to grasp is that the things that are already confirmed are what have people upset. The damage is done, all of the other things people are awaiting confirmation on will just serve to add fuel to the already (very hot) fire.

Microsoft had a chance to build on their incredible success by catering to the gamers that gave them that success, but instead they have decided to force cameras into our homes and grab us by the throats when it comes to used game sales. For me, the idea of a Kinect camera in my home was all it took to keep me from ever purchasing an Xbox One, and the rest of this nonsense they are pulling is just icing on the cake.

There are lots of reason why gamers are upset with Microsoft right now, and I suspect that there will be even more reasons as we get "confirmation" from Microsoft in the months to come.

Please know that I am not attacking you for what you are saying, I'm simply offering up my observations as a longtime gamer.

alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 alexwatchtower

[QUOTE="alexwatchtower"]

It's never too late to get informed.

JohnFifteen12

I think what you are failing to grasp is that the things that are already confirmed are what have people upset. The damage is done, all of the other things people are awaiting confirmation on will just serve to add fuel to the already (very hot) fire.

Microsoft had a chance to build on their incredible success by catering to the gamers that gave them that success, but instead they have decided to force cameras into our homes and grab us by the throats when it comes to used game sales. For me, the idea of a Kinect camera in my home was all it took to keep me from ever purchasing an Xbox One, and the rest of this nonsense they are pulling is just icing on the cake.

There are lots of reason why gamers are upset with Microsoft right now, and I suspect that there will be even more reasons as we get "confirmation" from Microsoft in the months to come.

Please know that I am not attacking you for what you are saying, I'm simply offering up my observations as a longtime gamer.

But I love Kinect so I don't have a problem with that.

Used game sales issue sucks but I wanna hear it all fleshed out first and compare it to what Sony is going to do. So I need all the facts in order to do that, right?

The way I look at it, it's better than no used game sales, all digital alternative which is what's currently happening on PC services like Steam. At least I can get something. Not saying I like it, but it's better than nothing.

The only real issue gamers should be upset with Microsoft is the used game sales deal and those that don't have a broadband connection. Beyond that the system seems pretty amazing.

On the used game sales,  I don't think it's just Microsoft. I think it's all of them together. Sony, Microsoft, and most third party publishers.

So what are you going to do? Skip gaming all together? Because despite what you think, I personally don't think we will have an option of choosing. 

The only option we will have is take the blue shit or the green shit. Which one you want? Either way it's shit, right?

Unless you think you can make enough noise to change their mind. If you have some sort of plan, I'm all ears...

JohnFifteen12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JohnFifteen12

So what are you going to do? Skip gaming all together? Because despite what you think, I personally don't think we will have an option of choosing. 

The only option we will have is take the blue shit or the green shit. Which one you want? Either way it's shit, right?

Unless you think you can make enough noise to change their mind. If you have some sort of plan, I'm all ears...

alexwatchtower

I'm going to game on my PC exclusively. I already play all multiplats on it, so I will only be missing out on exclusives.

I'm not really a fan of Sony's exclusives, and I can't stand the Dualshock controller design, so I don't think I will be purchasing a PS4 until they are really inexpensive (which should take years).

I was very much looking forward to the next Xbox (I love my 360, and think the 360's controller is the best controller ever designed), but the direction that Microsoft has gone in has completely turned me off, and based on the huge amount of negative feedback they are receiving towards the Xbox One, I am not alone.

The only positive that I took away from the Xbox One's reveal was the new controller. It sounds like it is even more awesome than the 360's, and I have read that it will work with PC games, so I will be buying that controller on day 1. It's just a shame that I won't be buying the Xbox One to go along with it.

BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BLAS1AN
Member since 2003 • 3508 Posts

sharing games with someone most likely will require a connection to the internet. I'll miss the days when my son and friends can just pop the game in and play without account managements

alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 alexwatchtower

I'm going to game on my PC exclusively. I already play all multiplats on it, so I will only be missing out on exclusives.

I'm not really a fan of Sony's exclusives, and I can't stand the Dualshock controller design, so I don't think I will be purchasing a PS4 until they are really inexpensive (which should take years).

I was very much looking forward to the next Xbox (I love my 360, and think the 360's controller is the best controller ever designed), but the direction that Microsoft has gone in has completely turned me off, and based on the huge amount of negative feedback they are receiving towards the Xbox One, I am not alone.

The only positive that I took away from the Xbox One's reveal was the new controller. It sounds like it is even more awesome than the 360's, and I have read that it will work with PC games, so I will be buying that controller on day 1. It's just a shame that I won't be buying the Xbox One to go along with it. 

JohnFifteen12

So instead of having some used games market, hey...let's move to the PC where there is pracitcally no used games market, where everything worth a damn is controlled by Valve and Steam, Nvidia and AMD who rape you on graphics cards, and get on Windows! That's your plan?

I already have a PC. I'm probably going to upgrade regardless, but not because it's a better alternative than this when it comes to used games and game ownership. It's NOT!

Not to mention, the question is will developers come over there, or will they stick to where they can make the most money off the most gullible market? The moms, the kids, the grandpas.

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

if u wanna play games on ur other accounts that are on ur different, intial account.

you have to:

1) set your house on fire

2) declare self an al qaeda

3) move to the moon

4) send microsoft 8 boat loads of ur blood

then your games will be accesible on all accounts on said xbox. (all of this has been confirmed, by random people on the internet. i think ill wait for something a lil more concrete tho.)

JohnFifteen12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JohnFifteen12

So instead of having some used games market, hey...let's move to the PC where there is pracitcally no used games market, where everything worth a damn is controlled by Valve and Steam, Nvidia and AMD who rape you on graphics cards, and get on Windows! That's your plan?

alexwatchtower

My "plan" is to continue playing all multiplatform games on my PC (60+ FPS @ 1080p on a 50" Samsung). I have been doing this for years, and it is very awesome. The ability to play PC games with the 360 controller is like gaming with a 360 on steroids. Very cool.

I'm not the least bit concerned about the lack of a used game market on the PC, due to the fact that you can literally buy AAA games for under $15 all throughout the year during the many sales. PC game downloads are dirt cheap, cheaper than most used console games by far. I've never seen AAA games being sold for the consoles for $5, but I see it all the time with PC games. In fact, Amazon is having a great sale right now, and Steam will be having its huge summer sale pretty soon.

I've been gaming with the same graphics card since 2009, so I certainly do not feel that I have been "raped" by AMD. I paid my $400 and have been having an awesome time with it ever since. It's getting a little long in the tooth at this point, so I will use the money I was going to spend on the next Xbox to buy new GPU instead.

I will be enjoying multiplatform games at 1920x1080 @ 60+ FPS on a 50" Samsung plasma with a very nice 7.1 setup, so aside from missing out on the console exclusives, I will still be having tons of fun.

musicXpirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 musicXpirate
Member since 2005 • 3040 Posts

All of this misleading information about this mess is making my head hurt. I'm ready for some official clarification on this. 

Kingman510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Kingman510
Member since 2004 • 105 Posts

id love some official clarification. THIS MEANS YOU MICROSOFT. No skipping around the issue and smart word play. They already are upsetting the customers enough but with the wordplay and multiple rumors by MS employees/"anonymous sources"/etc. We need hard evidence and E3 is hopefully where they debunk or confirm all the rumors.

bronze_earth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bronze_earth
Member since 2011 • 112 Posts

[QUOTE="bronze_earth"]

alexwatchtower

Debunked.

UPDATE: Many readers are asking whether the £35 will be additional cost on top of the price of buying the game. No, we believe that the £35 figure which is not our number, incidentally would cover the entire transaction. If correct this would leave retail with a cut per sale of around £3.50.

Remember the old saying "don't believe everything you read on the internet?" There is no better time than now to keep that in mind. It's not coming out tomorrow.

Not Debunked until the fat lady sings (xb0x one)

remember your own words about the old saying pal before you splash a debunked title over a reputable site like cnet, even GS have altered the information debunking your debunk. stop holding on to the cliff with your fingernails...xbox one is already a fail here in Europe, I think its going to do a lot better in the states however as it latches onto the fact its a couch potatoes dream box.

Lets see what E3 has for us before we all start saying we know the score. I trust cnet more than i do gamespot put it that way.

alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 alexwatchtower

[QUOTE="alexwatchtower"]

JohnFifteen12

My "plan" is to continue playing all multiplatform games on my PC (60+ FPS @ 1080p on a 50" Samsung). I have been doing this for years, and it is very awesome. The ability to play PC games with the 360 controller is like gaming with a 360 on steroids. Very cool.

I'm not the least bit concerned about the lack of a used game market on the PC, due to the fact that you can literally buy AAA games for under $15 all throughout the year during the many sales. PC game downloads are dirt cheap, cheaper than most used console games by far. I've never seen AAA games being sold for the consoles for $5, but I see it all the time with PC games. In fact, Amazon is having a great sale right now, and Steam will be having its huge summer sale pretty soon.

I've been gaming with the same graphics card since 2009, so I certainly do not feel that I have been "raped" by AMD. I paid my $400 and have been having an awesome time with it ever since. It's getting a little long in the tooth at this point, so I will use the money I was going to spend on the next Xbox to buy new GPU instead.

I will be enjoying multiplatform games at 1920x1080 @ 60+ FPS on a 50" Samsung plasma with a very nice 7.1 setup, so aside from missing out on the console exclusives, I will still be having tons of fun.

Yes but considering the topic of this thread you're saying you're going to the PC as some sort of a better alternative when we all know the situation is worse, and most games are digital only,

I'm glad you love PC gaming, and I do too, and considering the same exact idea as you, but I'm not going to do that because it's a better alternative to the used games situation.

It would actually be nice if they introduced some sort of digital distribution, second hand model on the PC side. 

JohnFifteen12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JohnFifteen12

Yes but considering the topic of this thread you're saying you're going to the PC as some sort of a better alternative when we all know the situation is worse, and most games are digital only,

I'm glad you love PC gaming, and I do too, and considering the same exact idea as you, but I'm not going to do that because it's a better alternative to the used games situation.

It would actually be nice if they introduced some sort of digital distribution, second hand model on the PC side. 

alexwatchtower

Like I said before, I don't see a need for a used PC game market when the games are already dirt cheap. Right now you can buy games like Mass Effect, Dead Space, Metro 2033, Borderlands and Bioshock from anywhwere between $2.50 and $5 each! That's just the ones I can think of off the top of my head, and I know that Amazon currently has over 800 games on sale. I honestly can't even remember when I paid more than $10 for a PC game, and I have tons of them. 

Then you have the Humble Bundles, where you can literally buy a handful of games for 1 penny. Right now people can buy both the Alan Wake Collector's Edition and Alan Wake American Nightmare for 1 penny. That's 1 cent for both games.

Getting into PC gaming can be a little expensive at first, but once you have the rig built for it, games are incredibly cheap.

alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 alexwatchtower

Like I said before, I don't see a need for a used PC game market when the games are already dirt cheap. Right now you can buy games like Mass Effect, Dead Space, Metro 2033, Borderlands and Bioshock from anywhwere between $2.50 and $5 each! That's just the ones I can think of off the top of my head, and I know that Amazon currently has over 800 games on sale. I honestly can't even remember when I paid more than $10 for a PC game, and I have tons of them. 

Then you have the Humble Bundles, where you can literally buy a handful of games for 1 penny. Right now people can buy both the Alan Wake Collector's Edition and Alan Wake American Nightmare for 1 penny. That's 1 cent for both games.

Getting into PC gaming can be a little expensive at first, but once you have the rig built for it, games are incredibly cheap.

JohnFifteen12

I know, it's awesome. But I still want to have transferable ownership of the liscenses.

If that's what we're discussing here. Thought we were talking about gaming principles and anti-consumer practices. If you're ok with that, but don't like the X1 situation, then basically you just have a problem with the fact the games will still be expensive, not that the practice is getting introduced. Right?

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

id love some official clarification. THIS MEANS YOU MICROSOFT. No skipping around the issue and smart word play. They already are upsetting the customers enough but with the wordplay and multiple rumors by MS employees/"anonymous sources"/etc. We need hard evidence and E3 is hopefully where they debunk or confirm all the rumors.

Kingman510
Clarification will come at E3. If we still have this many questions in 3 weeks THEN Microsoft screwed up. The reveal was for the masses, E3 is for us. Idk why people have such a problem understanding this.
Sonny360Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Sonny360Elite
Member since 2009 • 1593 Posts
It gets wiped from your account? Now, that is entirely RIDICULOUS! Some times people want to sell a game and then buy it again used. Basically like pawning something and getting it back. Now, they're restricting you from even doing that? Completely absurd. Only going to make me buy much less than I do already. Trouble trading back games and low Trade In Values? Complete garbage from MS.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jaysonguy

It gets wiped from your account? Now, that is entirely RIDICULOUS! Some times people want to sell a game and then buy it again used. Basically like pawning something and getting it back. Now, they're restricting you from even doing that? Completely absurd. Only going to make me buy much less than I do already. Trouble trading back games and low Trade In Values? Complete garbage from MS.Sonny360Elite

Are you trying to be this stupid or is this normal for you?

If you sell something it means you don't have it anymore hence the WIPED from the account

When you buy it again you own it again and it's back

Seriously, how do you not understand something so basic?

Sonny360Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Sonny360Elite

[QUOTE="Sonny360Elite"]It gets wiped from your account? Now, that is entirely RIDICULOUS! Some times people want to sell a game and then buy it again used. Basically like pawning something and getting it back. Now, they're restricting you from even doing that? Completely absurd. Only going to make me buy much less than I do already. Trouble trading back games and low Trade In Values? Complete garbage from MS.Jaysonguy

If you sell something it means you don't have it anymore hence the WIPED from the account

Hold up! How do you not understand? It is a way for them to double dip in your pockets. You already registered the game to your account and paid for it full price. Then when you sell it they wipe it off so if you buy it used you need to pay for a license. Did you not already pay for the license? Unless if the used games include the same unique license with them. Will the used games all come with a license from these retailers? I don't think so. Just a way for them to double dip in your pockets.
JohnFifteen12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JohnFifteen12

If you're ok with that, but don't like the X1 situation, then basically you just have a problem with the fact the games will still be expensive, not that the practice is getting introduced. Right?

alexwatchtower

That is correct, my primary concern is game pricing. Obviously I would prefer some type of transferable license for PC games, but that is pretty much a non-issue for me as long as PC games are priced at these low levels. I realize that things (prices) can change in the future, but I believe the constant threat of piracy will keep prices where they are.

I knew that this day would eventually come, if for no other reason than the constant crying that has been going on from developers and publishers about "lost revenues" from used game sales. It's hard for me to feel any sympathy when the industry they work in generates 80+ billion dollars annually, though, so I would prefer that they spare me the sob story.

Game companies don't go broke because of used game sales, they go broke because they make mediocre games and then price them at $60.

Devs and publishers are not compelled by "fairness", they are compelled by greed, and the measures they are taking with this next generation of consoles appears to be backfiring on them in a big way, as it should.

Spartan_N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Spartan_N7
Member since 2013 • 581 Posts
I dont trade my games anyway, so its not really an issue as far as Im concerned.
RandoIphF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 RandoIphF
Member since 2013 • 271 Posts
Yes but considering the topic of this thread you're saying you're going to the PC as some sort of a better alternative when we all know the situation is worse, and most games are digital onlyalexwatchtower
The digital only situation is offset by the TREMENDOUS savings. The prices on Steam will NEVER be seen on the Xbone. Also, our PCs/laptops are already almost always online. If my internet goes down, my laptop goes off. PC gaming really is a vastly superior alternative to what the Xbone is offering.
RandoIphF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 RandoIphF
Member since 2013 • 271 Posts
Game companies don't go broke because of used game sales, they go broke because they make mediocre games and then price them at $60.JohnFifteen12
Exactly, and then consumers trade those mediocre games in after a week to fund the purchase of their next sixty dollar game. The console game publishers need to come to grips with two things... 1- Not all games warrant the same price tag. 2- People won't trade in games worth keeping. If the games were reasonably priced taking into consideration their content, and were of a higher average quality, people would trade in games less and they would *cough* "lose" less money.
i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 i-rock-socks
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="Sonny360Elite"]It gets wiped from your account? Now, that is entirely RIDICULOUS! Some times people want to sell a game and then buy it again used. Basically like pawning something and getting it back. Now, they're restricting you from even doing that? Completely absurd. Only going to make me buy much less than I do already. Trouble trading back games and low Trade In Values? Complete garbage from MS.Sonny360Elite

Hold up! How do you not understand? It is a way for them to double dip in your pockets. You already registered the game to your account and paid for it full price. Then when you sell it they wipe it off so if you buy it used you need to pay for a license. Did you not already pay for the license? Unless if the used games include the same unique license with them. Will the used games all come with a license from these retailers? I don't think so. Just a way for them to double dip in your pockets.

so you want to buy a cake, sell it to someone else, and still eat it? if ur selling ur game u no longer have a right to it, ur SELLING ur license. how stupid are you to think that selling the disk, and losing access to the game is somehow screwing YOU. dont want to be "double dipped" well then... DONT SELL IT! ur argument's so stupid i actually cant believe you believe anything you just wrote.
alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 alexwatchtower

[QUOTE="alexwatchtower"]

If you're ok with that, but don't like the X1 situation, then basically you just have a problem with the fact the games will still be expensive, not that the practice is getting introduced. Right?

JohnFifteen12

That is correct, my primary concern is game pricing. Obviously I would prefer some type of transferable license for PC games, but that is pretty much a non-issue for me as long as PC games are priced at these low levels. I realize that things (prices) can change in the future, but I believe the constant threat of piracy will keep prices where they are.

I knew that this day would eventually come, if for no other reason than the constant crying that has been going on from developers and publishers about "lost revenues" from used game sales. It's hard for me to feel any sympathy when the industry they work in generates 80+ billion dollars annually, though, so I would prefer that they spare me the sob story.

Game companies don't go broke because of used game sales, they go broke because they make mediocre games and then price them at $60.

Devs and publishers are not compelled by "fairness", they are compelled by greed, and the measures they are taking with this next generation of consoles appears to be backfiring on them in a big way, as it should.

Ok. Well then I agree with you on pretty much everything.

And yeah devs and publishers are not angels but in all fairness piracy and some used retailers practices do have some affect. I don't think all their bitching and crying is completely without motive. Maybe on bad games you are right, but those things also affect good games. 

One thing at least this could help with, is that it should really limit piracy. So I don't expect the X1 to be very popular in Eastern Europe and Russia. ;)

1oh1nine1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 1oh1nine1
Member since 2007 • 779 Posts

Yeah, I read the article on Gamespot as that the Azure software was required to strip the game from your account in order for it to be resold.  Azure will only be available at certain retailers.  Therefore, no more selling games to people on your own, on Craigslist, on Ebay...you need this Azure thing to de-register your game, so you'll be stuck selling only to places like Gamestop.  And if you think Gamestop rips sellers off now, wait until Microsoft takes a cut from every used game sale.  You won't get paid jack.  

Thus, instead of killing off used games with an activation fee, they'll kill off used games by making it totally worthless for people to sell their games.  And they still get a cut--just in case.

JohnFifteen12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 JohnFifteen12

And yeah devs and publishers are not angels but in all fairness piracy and some used retailers practices do have some affect. I don't think all their bitching and crying is completely without motive. Maybe on bad games you are right, but those things also affect good games. 

alexwatchtower

Yes, I think piracy is very unfair to the developers and publishers, but many times they bring it upon themselves, by insisting that everything they produce is worth $60, and in most cases they will not even offer up a demo to prove their case. Gamers are forced to either take a chance on the game and possibly get burned, not purchase it at all, or pirate it. That is not a good position to put your customers in.

Then we see games like the Call of Duty series, where so many gamers feel they are worth every penny of that $60 and buy them in record breaking numbers every November, proving that gamers are more than willing to buy your game @ $60 if they feel that it is truly worth that price.

Devs and publishers need to start pricing their games realistically based on their quality and long term replayability, and stop dreaming up ways to squeeze more money out of gamers and stores that sell used games.

Sonny360Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Sonny360Elite
[QUOTE="Sonny360Elite"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

i-rock-socks

so you want to buy a cake, sell it to someone else, and still eat it? if ur selling ur game u no longer have a right to it, ur SELLING ur license. how stupid are you to think that selling the disk, and losing access to the game is somehow screwing YOU. dont want to be "double dipped" well then... DONT SELL IT! ur argument's so stupid i actually cant believe you believe anything you just wrote.

As long as when you buy a used game from said retailers that it comes with a code included and you don't need to pay a "used game fee". Used game fee is absolutely ridiculous. One system I will not be buying XBOX One. I'm a great salesman and got plenty of people to buy into 360. Don't worry, I will just as easily sway them to the PS4. Up yours Microsoft!
i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 i-rock-socks

[QUOTE="i-rock-socks"][QUOTE="Sonny360Elite"] Hold up! How do you not understand? It is a way for them to double dip in your pockets. You already registered the game to your account and paid for it full price. Then when you sell it they wipe it off so if you buy it used you need to pay for a license. Did you not already pay for the license? Unless if the used games include the same unique license with them. Will the used games all come with a license from these retailers? I don't think so. Just a way for them to double dip in your pockets.Sonny360Elite

As long as when you buy a used game from said retailers that it comes with a code included and you don't need to pay a "used game fee". Used game fee is absolutely ridiculous.

now if thats what u were trying to say, now were actually talking.

yes a used game fee is bull, but theres news that there "is" and "isnt"one, so no reason to get so bent out of shape over it yet, cause we dont know for sure. if they try messing too much with the preowned formula i wont get one either, but as of now its just talk and rumors, even the xbox employees arent speaking clearly about it (one claims one thing and another employee claims the opposite *facepalm* ) either cause they dont know or cant say. ill be pissed once its confirmed.

but even if they do implement a fee as long as it

A) doesnt end up costing me more (IE a preowned game cost 22 + 5 fee = equals 27 were as it would normally cost 27; like maybe on the ps4 its 27)

and B) well thats pretty much it.

they do "A" and i wont care, as no one should.

but if you trade in ur disk, u dont get to keep ur license just cause u cant physically trade it in. and being able to trade in games that are attached to your account sounds good to me. no longer stuck with 100s of games i wont ever play again, but they prolly wont accept digital games :( .

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#40 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
If a retailer would only make a few bucks from each used game sold, I doubt they will bother since that wouldnt be worth it. MS are getting to greedy for their own good. I won't be giving them any money.
bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

Wait who's miss informed most of this stuff coming out is true and coming from some of the big boys of microsoft around the world. This is how i've pieced it together but tell me if i'm wrong.

• People will be able to sell there used games to retailers. Retailers then have to agree to the terms and conditions of microsoft and then they have to use a program called azure which the retailer will be linked up to through the cloud. This then can be sold on at what ever price they like but to break even every game will need to be £35/$57 or more to break even giving a cut to the publishers and MICROSOFT, with the retailer who sells it only getting a 10% cut of the resale (last bit not sure).

• Who ever buys a game new and installs it onto their XBOX1 will then be linked as the main user by their xbox live account, being on the primary console anyone else linked to this console will be allowed to play the game free of charge. Any other system in the house which isn't the one installed on first will not be allowed to play without a fee which goes to MICROSOFT and the publisher.

• Simon aged 14 who is still in school and doesn't earn anything, and who lives with his parent's, who aren't rich and are struggling go out and buy simon a nice xbox1. Realising that Xbox1 does not support the old composite cables and is only hdmi in/out has now got to either send it back or buy a new cheap tv for little simon. They buy him a new tv but can't afford many games just the games what he got with it, now his friend sean comes a long and is in the same boat, just a couple of games and thats it the 2 get together to talk about their games and that there great but are bored, they decide that it be nice for them to each lend one another a game to play for the weekend or until they complete it, helping out each other because there parents had spent a good £40/$60 on the game they have. but when they get home they realise the reality that MICROSOFT and the publisher are even greedier than we thought they want extra money from these to struggling 14year olds who now have to pay a fee to play which they can't afford just to play for a bit and give it back, so now there stuck.

I think the real question is, what about the people who don't have xbox live and don't do the internet but love playing games. i.e my dad loves to play xbox and ps3 for different games, but has absolutely no sense of what email is nor xbox live or even psn. will these games just be linked to the account created on the console itself or will you have to pay the subscription fee for xbox live straight from the get go.

MusashiSensi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#42 MusashiSensi
Member since 2004 • 9584 Posts
If a retailer would only make a few bucks from each used game sold, I doubt they will bother since that wouldnt be worth it. MS are getting to greedy for their own good.Rattlesnake_8
I agree.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Jaysonguy

If a retailer would only make a few bucks from each used game sold, I doubt they will bother since that wouldnt be worth it. Rattlesnake_8

Don't really know how this works do you?

Retailers right now only make a few bucks on every game sold.

XxAK47xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#44 XxAK47xX
Member since 2005 • 5003 Posts

[QUOTE="alexwatchtower"]

JohnFifteen12

you are acting like are decisions are already final for them. they are prolly sitting at a desk and discussing these topics as we speak . Sony is prolly just sitting back and waiting for a response. The game developers want this to happen. why would ( lets say ea ) want to publish a game on ps4 if they know that they are not going to make as much money. All developers can very well say that we are going where the moneys is because this is what we wanted all this time. 

Avatar image for lex_in_the_moon
lex_in_the_moon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 lex_in_the_moon
Member since 2007 • 770 Posts

Seeing comments like "Microsoft's used game policy is at least better than having none" and basically accepting the fact that things aren't gonna be ideal next generation is a HORRIBLE mindset. If you have a "could be worse" mindset your whole life people (or companies) are gonna have no problem screwing you over; that is the exact mindset they want people to have. If you don't stand up against this nonsense, there will be no justice.

alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 alexwatchtower

Seeing comments like "Microsoft's used game policy is at least better than having none" and basically accepting the fact that things aren't gonna be ideal next generation is a HORRIBLE mindset. If you have a "could be worse" mindset your whole life people (or companies) are gonna have no problem screwing you over; that is the exact mindset they want people to have. If you don't stand up against this nonsense, there will be no justice.

lex_in_the_moon

I agree, but I also think people don't treat video games and entertainment with the same level of seriousness they would other matters. If some people put the same amount of effort into things that matter, rather than video games, this world would be a better place.

It's entertainment. Besides, when the entire country took the Patriot Act up its ass, without even as much as a peep, I highly doubt anyone's going to do anything about this issue. At least in this case people are pissed. When that happened some people cheered.

But that's an issue for a different debate.

At the end of the day Microsoft doesn't have a monopoly over video games. There are alternatives. No one has to buy it if it's against their principles. If they want to create a consolse where the games are not re-sellable, and rather just temporary licenses, they actually have every right in the world to do it as long as they are upfront about it. As long as they are not preventing anyone from offering an alternative, there's really nothing going on here that is against the law.

Now if someone can prove that MS/Sony and all the other developers are colluding to set prices, or policies, then we do.(They are. There's just no binding agreement that I know of).