Can I play an Arcade game offline?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

skreetpreacha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 113

User Lists: 0

#1 skreetpreacha
Member since 2005 • 877 Posts

Got a 360 a few months ago, havent been on XBL yet... my roommate has his connected online upstairs.... i assume i can simply bring my hard drive up there n plug it up to his and download stuff onto it, right? But if i want to buy an arcade game, like Marvel vs Capcom 2, it will be my game on the hard drive to play offline back downstairs in my room, right? ... may sound like a dumb question, just with the "Live" and "Arcade" words, it may sound like some XBL games you only play online or online multiplayer... thanks in advance

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

well arcade games have drm that make it so that you can only play the stuff on the 360 that it was downloaded to. Now if you had Internet it wouldn't be a problem because it will work when your connected to live but i dont think it will work offline. The game will think that it belongs to your friends 360 and not yours.

prsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 prsman
Member since 2007 • 915 Posts
Yes, you can play it. Downloads aren't tied to the console, they're tied to a gamertag. So you can go up, buy MVC2, go to your console, and play it offline, as long as you have your hard-drive.
BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BLAS1AN
Member since 2003 • 3508 Posts

Indie games I beleive have to be played while connected to LIVE. i cant play the trials unless im signed in.

Darkslayer16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Darkslayer16
Member since 2006 • 3619 Posts

Yes, you can play it. Downloads aren't tied to the console, they're tied to a gamertag. So you can go up, buy MVC2, go to your console, and play it offline, as long as you have your hard-drive.prsman

The dowload licence isn't just tied to the gamertag.. if you buy something then your internet or XBL is down it will only work if you are the the 360 you bought it on.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

[QUOTE="prsman"]Yes, you can play it. Downloads aren't tied to the console, they're tied to a gamertag. So you can go up, buy MVC2, go to your console, and play it offline, as long as you have your hard-drive.Darkslayer16

The dowload licence isn't just tied to the gamertag.. if you buy something then your internet or XBL is down it will only work if you are the the 360 you bought it on.

hence why people who get new xboxs need to do a license transfer

nickdastick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#7 nickdastick
Member since 2004 • 5286 Posts

[QUOTE="prsman"]Yes, you can play it. Downloads aren't tied to the console, they're tied to a gamertag. So you can go up, buy MVC2, go to your console, and play it offline, as long as you have your hard-drive.Darkslayer16

That's true if you are offline. You can use your hard drive on a different 360 and play full arcade games if you are online. But yeah, you are right with it being offline, it won't work.

Darkslayer16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Darkslayer16

[QUOTE="Darkslayer16"]

[QUOTE="prsman"]Yes, you can play it. Downloads aren't tied to the console, they're tied to a gamertag. So you can go up, buy MVC2, go to your console, and play it offline, as long as you have your hard-drive.chaoscougar1

hence why people who get new xboxs need to do a license transfer

I still say once a year is ****ing bs. If I'm offline none of my stuff works and even when on xbl over half wont work.

shawn7324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#9 shawn7324
Member since 2006 • 8690 Posts

I'm not sure if I recall right since I've not been very active in the Aracade, but I think women said a long time ago that she could only play the free trial version once offline.

ProHippoClever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ProHippoClever
Member since 2009 • 127 Posts
as long as you have the game downloaded to the hard drive that ur using, u can play arcade games offline
Darkslayer16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Darkslayer16

as long as you have the game downloaded to the hard drive that ur using, u can play arcade games offlineProHippoClever

No you can't..

skreetpreacha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 skreetpreacha

wow, i didnt know the question was so complicated, lol, i thot it was a simple answer.... i wud think i wud able to play downloaded games offline as long as i DLd them to my hard drive, but sum people say no? .... can anyone confirm this or will i have to actually call microsoft on this?

Hakud0ushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 Hakud0ushi
Member since 2005 • 7613 Posts

Indie games I beleive have to be played while connected to LIVE. i cant play the trials unless im signed in.

BLAS1AN
Nope. Games don't have anything to do with you being live or not.
Hakud0ushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 Hakud0ushi
Member since 2005 • 7613 Posts

wow, i didnt know the question was so complicated, lol, i thot it was a simple answer.... i wud think i wud able to play downloaded games offline as long as i DLd them to my hard drive, but sum people say no? .... can anyone confirm this or will i have to actually call microsoft on this?

skreetpreacha
Yes. If you download something on LIVE it's in your HDD. You can go there download and go back to your room and play it offline no problem. You only use the LIVE to actually download the game, that's a very simple concept.
Flamecommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Flamecommando
Member since 2003 • 11634 Posts

You can. They are tied to your profile.

prsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 prsman
Member since 2007 • 915 Posts
I DLed GTA:SA, and when I go to my friends house, I recover my GT there (without my HDD) and can re-download it and play it, though my GT must be signed in, but not to LiVE
DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DJ_Magneto
Member since 2008 • 4675 Posts
Here are the rules... - Arcade downloads are tied to both your gamertag and console. - If you are offline on that console, you can play the games fine. - If you move your HDD to another console, you must be online and signed into Live with the gamertag that you DL'd the content with in order for you access it fully. - If you are on that second console and are offline, even if you are signed in under your gamertag, you won't be able to access the content fully. (I.E. trial version of game) - If you want to tie your DL'd content to another console, you must go through the License Transfer Process.
DrD3V1L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 DrD3V1L
Member since 2004 • 2064 Posts

Thanks DJ! This is what I've been needing to do since I got a new console from M$ - I hated the fact that I had to be signed into xbl to play my arcade games.

Cheers!

DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DJ_Magneto

Thanks DJ! This is what I've been needing to do since I got a new console from M$ - I hated the fact that I had to be signed into xbl to play my arcade games.

Cheers!

DrD3V1L
No problem. You know, this also applies to most downloadable content such as map packs. I noticed that some Halo 3 maps that I had downloaded a while back were not being listed when I was playing offline on my new console. Also videos that you payed for. I would just go through your list and download all licenses. It takes only a second for each. You aren't redownloading the content.
YoBrandino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#20 YoBrandino
Member since 2003 • 1546 Posts

I had an XBox 360 and purchesed several arcade games. These games could be playedon th 360 online or offline, either by me on my gamertag or by my boyfriend on his.

Then we got the RROD and had to send the console in, and was sent a different one in return. Microsoft did some license transfer and I believe I had to sortof redownload the license online to play them on the new 360 with my old hard drive.

Now, they games that were purchased with my gamertag on the old 360 can only be played on the new one while my gamertag is actually signed into live online. If my gamertag is not signed in online then the downlaoded games only show as the trial verisions.

So, if my boyfriend wants to play it, then he just has to sign my profile in online, and then he can still play it under his profile.

DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DJ_Magneto

I had an XBox 360 and purchesed several arcade games. These games could be playedon th 360 online or offline, either by me on my gamertag or by my boyfriend on his.

Then we got the RROD and had to send the console in, and was sent a different one in return. Microsoft did some license transfer and I believe I had to sortof redownload the license online to play them on the new 360 with my old hard drive.

Now, they games that were purchased with my gamertag on the old 360 can only be played on the new one while my gamertag is actually signed into live online. If my gamertag is not signed in online then the downlaoded games only show as the trial verisions.

So, if my boyfriend wants to play it, then he just has to sign my profile in online, and then he can still play it under his profile.

YoBrandino
It sounds like you didn't do the license transfer. Maybe you missed a few.
Odnomiar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Odnomiar
Member since 2004 • 1070 Posts

[QUOTE="YoBrandino"]

DJ_Magneto

I have the same problem as yoBrandino.I DL arcade titles, demos and what ever, yet, my mrs can't play the games I've bought on her profile? how can i fix it with out paying for the titles again?

YoBrandino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#23 YoBrandino
Member since 2003 • 1546 Posts

[QUOTE="DJ_Magneto"][QUOTE="YoBrandino"]

Odnomiar

I have the same problem as yoBrandino.I DL arcade titles, demos and what ever, yet, my mrs can't play the games I've bought on her profile? how can i fix it with out paying for the titles again?

- I did exactly what it said to do for the license transfer, but I have to be logged into live to be able to play them still in their full version and not in trial mode.

- Have her just log your profile in on a second controller and then she should be able to play themunder her gamertag then - as long as your profile is just signed into live too. Thats what we haveto do.

As I understand it, its tied to your console until you have to get a new one, and then it gets tied to the gamertag account that paid for them. If I did miss something and am wrong, please let me know - I'd love to fix it then!!

skreetpreacha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 skreetpreacha

Here are the rules... - Arcade downloads are tied to both your gamertag and console. - If you are offline on that console, you can play the games fine. - If you move your HDD to another console, you must be online and signed into Live with the gamertag that you DL'd the content with in order for you access it fully. - If you are on that second console and are offline, even if you are signed in under your gamertag, you won't be able to access the content fully. (I.E. trial version of game) - If you want to tie your DL'd content to another console, you must go through the License Transfer Process.DJ_Magneto

thanks.... so i might as well just take my whole console up there then, instead of just the hard drive, lol.... i DL a load of demos today... Bioshock kinda scared me. :-/ looks really cool tho

ProHippoClever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ProHippoClever
Member since 2009 • 127 Posts

[QUOTE="ProHippoClever"]as long as you have the game downloaded to the hard drive that ur using, u can play arcade games offlineDarkslayer16

No you can't..

Umm, ur wrong.
Darkslayer16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Darkslayer16

[QUOTE="Darkslayer16"]

[QUOTE="ProHippoClever"]as long as you have the game downloaded to the hard drive that ur using, u can play arcade games offlineProHippoClever

No you can't..

Umm, ur wrong.

No I'm not.. I have spent thousands of dollars on the XBL marketplace and have went through over 15 Xbox360s so I know what I'm talking about. When you purchase something it gets tied to your gamertag and the console. If you are on the 360 you purchased it on you can play it online, offline of on other profiles. When that 360 dies you can only use the content you bought when connected to XBL. If you are not connected to XBL it will not work on any profiles including the one used to purchase the content. To fix that you have to do a licence transfer and you can only do that once a year. If you have more then 1 Xbox360 die in less then a year then you are just ****ed. Sega games (sonic, Golden Axe etc..) will not work even when connected to XBL and will be a trial.