Buying a 360 soon depending on the answer to this question...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KH-mixerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 KH-mixerX
Member since 2007 • 5702 Posts

Does the wireless adapter work well enough to justify a $100 purchase. I have a wireless router and the only way I'd be able to go online with my 360 is wirelessly. My computer is too far away from my room to ahave a wired connection. I think it's pointless to buy a 360 if you can't go online with it, so if theis adapter is crap, I won't be purchasing a 360. Anyone got any answers for me? Thank you in advance8).

musicXpirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 musicXpirate
Member since 2005 • 3040 Posts

You're better off buying a 50ft ethernet cable than the $100 wireless piece. You can get 50ft of cable for $10 at Wal-Mart.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4660731

Trust me, the wireless is a rip off.

FearTheRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FearTheRain
Member since 2008 • 1470 Posts

That littel adapter thing is a piece of JUNK.

waste of $100

LocalGod_TM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LocalGod_TM
Member since 2008 • 176 Posts
i havent had it for long but im not dissapointed with the adapter... its definatly not worth the money but what other choice do you ahev if you want to go wireless... youll only have to buy it once tho, and your 360 will alwyas be wireless... rip off but not like you can buy a 3rd party one... or can you? i dunno ahah but yea its good... i got mine for 70 bucks look around
pete_merlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 pete_merlin
Member since 2007 • 6098 Posts
i have a wireless adapter. it will only have problems if its realllllly far away from your router, mine couldnt be any furhtur away in my house but it still works fine. the only time you will get any big problems is when your router has issues. buy it dude, buy it now
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts
Having a wired connection is the way to go even if you need to unhook it and put it away ever time you are done playing. It's hard for me to recomend wireless no matter how well it works.
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
Instead of getting the wireless adapter, I got 2 wireless routers for $120. Wayyy better than the wireless adapter.
Daniloo123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Daniloo123
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Dont buy Wireless adaptor it cost too much you can buy long cable for like $10-20
x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
Wired connection is much better. I bought a 15 metre ethernet cable off ebay. I read something about wireless, don't know if it's 100% true, but it said wireless can only upload or download at any given time. Wired can upload and dowload at the same time so it's the way to go for gaming.
feryl06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 feryl06
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts
I bought the wireless adaptor and it's the best investment I ever made. It's about 60 feet away from my router which is in another room and the signal strenght is still great. It's also great cause sometimes I bring my 360 downstairs to the family room and signal strength is still great.
weasel_cleaner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 weasel_cleaner
Member since 2006 • 32 Posts

The wireless adapter works fine.

To those who claim it to be junk and advocate a physical connection there is no way I'm running an 80+ ft cable through the house and down into the basement.

KH-mixerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KH-mixerX

A wired connection is just not an option for me. Even with a long cable, it would have to run across my room, through the hallway, and into the living room. There's just to much traffic in those areas in my house to have a cable going through them. I get about 80% connection with my PS3 from my router in the living room. Would I get this amount with the adapter? Cause if this adapter works consistently, I'm definately buying it. I love my PS3, but I can't get over some of its nagging faults. This is why I want a 360, so I can enjoy XBL. I can't believe I'm saying this. I've always had sort of a grudge against MS for no real reason. You could say I was a Sony fanboy in denial. That was until I used XBL at my friends house to play COD4. Man!!! What a difference!!!! Don't get me wrong, I love the PSN, but until Home comes out, I will be forced to consider it cumbersome compared to XBL. This is why I want a 360. And what good is owning one without online play?

JoshChambers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 JoshChambers
Member since 2004 • 1646 Posts
these people dont know what they are talking about. I've had mine for over 2 years and I've never had a dropped signal or a loss of speed. Its well worth the investment.
geofshaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 geofshaka
Member since 2005 • 340 Posts
get a wireless then prepare for lag and your headset not working when you hear ppl online and there voice is choppy, thats a wireless connection and to the previous post i run a 50 footer through my room down the hallway and into the living room, not that much traffic or work if you think it is then your lame and lazy
feryl06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 feryl06
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

I don't understand how you would get a lag and your headset won't work and with the choppiness you talk about. I've never ever had that problem and I've been using my MS wireless router since launch. I'm not saying that you didn't go through that, but doubt it was because of the wireless router.

get a wireless then prepare for lag and your headset not working when you hear ppl online and there voice is choppy, thats a wireless connection and to the previous post i run a 50 footer through my room down the hallway and into the living room, not that much traffic or work if you think it is then your lame and lazygeofshaka

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
wired=100% all the time, wireless=depends on signal strength. I go wired.
weasel_cleaner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 weasel_cleaner
Member since 2006 • 32 Posts

and to the previous post i run a 50 footer through my room down the hallway and into the living room, not that much traffic or work if you think it is then your lame and lazygeofshaka
Lame and lazy maybe. But I also don't feel llike having my house look like my old dorm room or a frat house. There is something to be said about having a setup that makes your house look like crap

jmartin1016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 jmartin1016
Member since 2003 • 1363 Posts
Bought my adapter on ebay for $35. Totally worth it. Check to see if your router is compatible with 360.
jmartin1016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 jmartin1016
Member since 2003 • 1363 Posts
Xbox.com has a page that lists alot of routers that are tested with the adapter. If the router you have is on that list then buy the adapter on ebay.
geofshaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 geofshaka
Member since 2005 • 340 Posts
uh thats why you just roll it back up after your done with it...bam no more frat look thats what i do when i play online
darkserpent213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 darkserpent213
Member since 2003 • 1195 Posts

Having a wired connection is the way to go even if you need to unhook it and put it away ever time you are done playing. It's hard for me to recomend wireless no matter how well it works.Riverwolf007

I agree. I went wireless for about 1 week and I couldn't take it anymore. I kept getting kicked out of games and I would show signs of lag. I'd rather plug and unplug my 25 ft ethernet cable anyday then go wireless again.

ChoCNillA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 ChoCNillA
Member since 2008 • 71 Posts

Does the wireless adapter work well enough to justify a $100 purchase. I have a wireless router and the only way I'd be able to go online with my 360 is wirelessly. My computer is too far away from my room to ahave a wired connection. I think it's pointless to buy a 360 if you can't go online with it, so if theis adapter is crap, I won't be purchasing a 360. Anyone got any answers for me? Thank you in advance8).

KH-mixerX

id go for the cable if i was you its for sure a cheaper way to play with a good connection all the time! if not buy a PS3 with it already built in.

but its always your choise 360 with cable is your best bet tho! and for sure the cheaper one to go for wel of course till you start paying for online.

KH-mixerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KH-mixerX
[QUOTE="KH-mixerX"]

ChoCNillA

id go for the cable if i was you its for sure a cheaper way to play with a good connection all the time! if not buy a PS3 with it already built in.

but its always your choise 360 with cable is your best bet tho! and for sure the cheaper one to go for wel of course till you start paying for online.

I have a PS3.

ChoCNillA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 ChoCNillA
Member since 2008 • 71 Posts
well in that case if u get a 360 decide between wireless or cable as seen here cable is the way to go!
Avatar image for gintheplacetobe
gintheplacetobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gintheplacetobe
Member since 2003 • 4512 Posts

A wired connection is just not an option for me. Even with a long cable, it would have to run across my room, through the hallway, and into the living room. There's just to much traffic in those areas in my house to have a cable going through them. I get about 80% connection with my PS3 from my router in the living room. Would I get this amount with the adapter? Cause if this adapter works consistently, I'm definately buying it. I love my PS3, but I can't get over some of its nagging faults. This is why I want a 360, so I can enjoy XBL. I can't believe I'm saying this. I've always had sort of a grudge against MS for no real reason. You could say I was a Sony fanboy in denial. That was until I used XBL at my friends house to play COD4. Man!!! What a difference!!!! Don't get me wrong, I love the PSN, but until Home comes out, I will be forced to consider it cumbersome compared to XBL. This is why I want a 360. And what good is owning one without online play?

KH-mixerX

Are you on the first floor? If so, then it's real easy to run a wire through your wall down to the basement, then across your basement ceiling (assuming it's not finished), and back up another wall cavity. I would definately do that instead of going wireless.

Darth_Tigris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Darth_Tigris
Member since 2002 • 2506 Posts

Wow. This thread is kinda crazy to me.

I didn't get the MS Wireless Adapter. I bought a Linksys Wireless Gaming Adapter WGA54G years back and it works fantastic. For the record I do have Road Runner and my connection is very fast, but I haven't had a problem with lag at all without some preventable issue (downloading huge files on your PC at the same time is not a good idea). The best thing is that the gaming adapter I got was a lot cheaper than the MS one (I paid $60 on a BB sale).