Broken Ethernet Port?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gifflegerbpiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 gifflegerbpiss
Member since 2006 • 783 Posts

Yesterday I was playing some COD4 on live and everything was going fine. A bit later I stopped playing and left. About 2 hours later I came back and started up the Xbox and realized I wasn't signed into live. I tried to sign in and I got a message saying that the Xbox could not connect to the internet. I then try to test my connection and it says that my Network Adapter is disconnected (My Xbox is not physically hooked up to the internet). I checked my ethernet cord and it was plugged in to both my Xbox and my Router so I try again, still no luck. Then I decide to plug the Xbox into a different port in my router. Still nothing. Then I try plugging my Xbox directly into my DSL modem. That didn't work. So then I figured that maybe there was a problem on Microsoft's end and waited until today. I turned on my Xbox and it still could not connect. I checked my eithernet cable and there was nothing wrong with it.

My internet is working fine otherwise, my computer is hooked up fine. Does this mean that my ethernet port in my Xbox somehow just died? It seems really strange seeing as how it just died after I shut off my Xbox right after playing online with no problems at all.

I'm using a DSL modem and a router which have worked perfictly for a few months now. I have no custom settings for my network connection and have tried "Restore to Factory Default" just incase with no luck.

Any idea what might be going on? I've only had my Xbox since October.

CharlyMurphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 CharlyMurphy
Member since 2007 • 461 Posts
check if the ethernet port in the back of ur 360 is tottaly plugged in.. if it isent i would call xbox or your DSL/Cable Provider Which ever one is causing the problem
gifflegerbpiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gifflegerbpiss
I have alwready checked the connections in both my Xbox and my router and the ethernet cable is completely plugged into both.
gifflegerbpiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gifflegerbpiss
I found out that my dog ended up eating the inside of my xbox which caused most of it to be un-useable. I decided to return it and buy a PS3.
n0manarmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 n0manarmy
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
I found out that my dog ended up eating the inside of my xbox which caused most of it to be un-useable. I decided to return it and buy a PS3.gifflegerbpiss
What kind of response is that?! You mean to tell me that after all that "trouble shooting" that you did, you didn't realize that your dog "ended up eating the inside of [your] xbox"?! Meh. Anyway, I've got the same issue as well and was hoping the initial poster would have generated a decent suggestion, but that's not the case. I had been using my xbox 360 for over 2 years and after taking a 3 week break cause of school stuff and I come back to find that the NIC is dead. I checked the connection against other devices and its the actual NIC on the xbox. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm tempted to crack it open and take a look but I'm afraid to find that the NIC is probably integrated in to the board and there would be nothing I could do anyway.
shawaeb1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 shawaeb1
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
hi, my xbox elite does the same thing im not sure if this worked for you but it worked for me ... basically just take out the ethernet cable blow into it and blow into the back of your xbox where you place the ethernet cable .. if it does work note: that you will only have to do it every time you turn it on if you keep it off for a couple hours... tell me how it turned out ... email me at s_911@live.com
Xbox360Gamer15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 Xbox360Gamer15
Member since 2009 • 3937 Posts
[QUOTE="gifflegerbpiss"]

Yesterday I was playing some COD4 on live and everything was going fine. A bit later I stopped playing and left. About 2 hours later I came back and started up the Xbox and realized I wasn't signed into live. I tried to sign in and I got a message saying that the Xbox could not connect to the internet. I then try to test my connection and it says that my Network Adapter is disconnected (My Xbox is not physically hooked up to the internet). I checked my ethernet cord and it was plugged in to both my Xbox and my Router so I try again, still no luck. Then I decide to plug the Xbox into a different port in my router. Still nothing. Then I try plugging my Xbox directly into my DSL modem. That didn't work. So then I figured that maybe there was a problem on Microsoft's end and waited until today. I turned on my Xbox and it still could not connect. I checked my eithernet cable and there was nothing wrong with it.

My internet is working fine otherwise, my computer is hooked up fine. Does this mean that my ethernet port in my Xbox somehow just died? It seems really strange seeing as how it just died after I shut off my Xbox right after playing online with no problems at all.

I'm using a DSL modem and a router which have worked perfictly for a few months now. I have no custom settings for my network connection and have tried "Restore to Factory Default" just incase with no luck.

Any idea what might be going on? I've only had my Xbox since October.

get WI-FI
jeflan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jeflan
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I had a bad lightning strike which took out my ethernet port on my xbox. I found that the wireless usb port was still working so I am using that now. Another Idea would be to get a usb to ethernet converter and try that. Thats probably the cheapest fix.